HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal Signs Chris Campoli..1 year/1.75M

Old
09-27-2011, 04:29 PM
Garry Valk

vCash: 500
I wonder if they looked at McCabe?

Garry Valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 04:34 PM
shamrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry Valk View Post
Younger legs and mobility are on campoli side if we compare the two. Our defense has been really slow last season. Pk helped there but when mara, sopel, gill were on the ice we could never leave our zone. Sure it's great that they were willing to block shots but we need a little more mobility i believe.

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 06:13 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I just think it's funny that the signing thread on the main boards has a ton of people saying how solid a deal it is, but people in here are *****ing.
Surprised ? Really ?

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 06:16 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
Surprised ? Really ?
Did I say I was surprised?

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 06:20 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
I just think it's funny that the signing thread on the main boards has a ton of people saying how solid a deal it is, but people in here are *****ing.
We do have some drama queens on our board...

Everyone whined when PG reacted to injuries, and we would lose a 2nd round pick, this time he is proactive, we lose nothing, and he gets crapped on....lose lose...

Drop the puck, please, Oct 6th can't come fast enough...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 06:35 PM
Subban76

Quote:
They looked at is injury report from the last few years and is age and realized he was the worst contingency plan available to replace our injured Dmen.

On RDS Campoli said that Habs contacted him right after he was let go by the Hawks, but came back with a stronger offer this time.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 06:43 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

He's gonna be wearing #17

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 06:44 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post

On RDS Campoli said that Habs contacted him right after he was let go by the Hawks,
WHOA!!! Wait a minute!!

So what what you're saying is that the habs knew in early August that Markov was going to be injured for a long time!!! WTF!!!!

Seriously. Anyone who thinks this is a reactionary move to injuries to Markov after info has been released that Campoli was contacted right after he was released as a FA, is just looking for reasons to **** on the organization.

They trade a second round pick for a hole...Management sucks
They leave 4 million dollars on the cap...Management sucks
They use that cap space and get a player with no assets...management sucks

So basically...management sucks in any scenario.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 06:44 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Did I say I was surprised?
Nope, can't say you did !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
WHOA!!! Wait a minute!!

So what what you're saying is that the habs knew in early August that Markov was going to be injured for a long time!!! WTF!!!!

Seriously. Anyone who thinks this is a reactionary move to injuries to Markov after info has been released that Campoli was contacted right after he was released as a FA, is just looking for reasons to **** on the organization.

yep just that statement makes N Flynn look like an idiot. With his big column on RDS about how the Habs signed Campoli because Marky was in bad shape.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 06:47 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
WHOA!!! Wait a minute!!

The management is always a loser in Montreal.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 06:52 PM
La Grosse Tendresse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
If you are using only +- to gauge defensive play you seriously need to get a clue.
Thanks for the respect.

La Grosse Tendresse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 09:07 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
yep just that statement makes N Flynn look like an idiot. With his big column on RDS about how the Habs signed Campoli because Marky was in bad shape.
It's not just about him being in bad shape, but it does play a toll. If Markov was coming in healthy and expected to dress 82 games, Campoli isn't a hab today. This doesn't mean I think the signing was bad. Our pp looks very ugly, and with the added chance that Markov won't even play 50 games (I am obviously estimating here) we needed someone on the PP that can hit the net.

I think this signing has more to do with Weber not picking up the slack. I am disappointed because I thought he could be a lot more to this team then some 4th line/PP player (at this point he doesn't really deserve that PP spot, but we are thin on quality players for the PP)

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 09:16 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
A good season with the potential retirements of Spacek and Gill opens the door with the Habs for a longer term deal as they will want to build around that core of Markov, Subban, Gorges (needs to be re-signed) and hopefully Yemelin.

Not sure if Weber is in that core picture, and the best UFA's next season are Suter, Gleason and Kronwall. And I'm not sure the Habs have a lot of left over money as they need to re-sign Price and Subban to long term deals, and the above mentioned Gorges too. Eller and Yemelin are up, and AK is too, depending on his season and managements thoughts on him on being a Hab.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:10 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
this thread proves that the old adage, "habs fans are the most knowledgeable in the league", is a ****ing joke. i swear i could feel my IQ drop reading this thread....

on topic: good signing

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:18 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
this thread proves that the old adage, "habs fans are the most knowledgeable in the league", is a ****ing joke. i swear i could feel my IQ drop reading this thread....

Key weasel word: knowledgeable.

Not level-headed. Not intelligent. Not rational.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:20 PM
Protest the Hero

I didn't want to sift through the garbage in this thread so apologies if the question was already answered.

Does he strictly play the left side, or can he play both?

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:30 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post

Not sure I understand your point. Most people are thinking that it's a fine to great signing.....No need to do like the other fanbases and generalize the Habs one based on a minority.

I'm personnally okay with the deal. If possible, I would have gone a more physical way. And you do have to wonder how such a great player was still sitting at home....But you then come to the conclusion that we are getting an NHL'er.

Yet....EVERYBODY HERE (the knowledgeable ones) were ECSTATIC about the defense we had just 2 weeks ago. As far as I'm concerned, nobody predicted a Campoli arrival and yet we're fine with the D we had. Thought that Markov would indeed comeback at some point. That Subban is still a stud. That Gorges and Gill will still be the same pairing, the Yemelin was the guy that would stamp the Bruins on the boards and that based on last post season, Weber would continue on his journey. We had a GREAT defensive squad 2 weeks ago....So the problem with that signing, as it appears, it's that it's a response to question marks the org. now has that we didn't have before. So we're patching holes, not necessarily adding, by whatever means, a top 4 d-man that will take that already great defense to another level.

Now, it's not ALL black. Yes, we didn't spend a 2nd rounder this time. Thank god. Yes, Campoli is not THAT bad. Yes, it is a fine signing. But we will see how it evolves. Let's hope for the best. Still tough to see, despite his camp, that a guy who had some great flashes last year and just signed a 2-year contract, is already playing as a forward and the camp is not done yet.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:42 PM
Aeneas

I can admit when i first heard we signed campoli my immediate thought was that it was a reaction signing to some potentially bad news, but the more i thought about it, its a smart move by PG....that is all

Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:45 PM
Maxpac

I wonder if the people who called the signing "good" have actually seen Campoli play? How in the world will he bring more offense then Weber with what he has done thus far, is it really so hard to just go with young players who have potential 1st, and then see what happens? I'm trying to find ways to like the signing, to find something that he brings that we don't already have, but I just can't..

The Campoli singing also confirms that the Woywitka singing was crap from the get go.

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:48 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Not sure I understand your point. Most people are thinking that it's a fine to great signing.....No need to do like the other fanbases and generalize the Habs one based on a minority.

I'm personnally okay with the deal. If possible, I would have gone a more physical way. And you do have to wonder how such a great player was still sitting at home....But you then come to the conclusion that we are getting an NHL'er.

Yet....EVERYBODY HERE (the knowledgeable ones) were ECSTATIC about the defense we had just 2 weeks ago. As far as I'm concerned, nobody predicted a Campoli arrival and yet we're fine with the D we had. Thought that Markov would indeed comeback at some point. That Subban is still a stud. That Gorges and Gill will still be the same pairing, the Yemelin was the guy that would stamp the Bruins on the boards and that based on last post season, Weber would continue on his journey. We had a GREAT defensive squad 2 weeks ago....So the problem with that signing, as it appears, it's that it's a response to question marks the org. now has that we didn't have before. So we're patching holes, not necessarily adding, by whatever means, a top 4 d-man that will take that already great defense to another level.

Now, it's not ALL black. Yes, we didn't spend a 2nd rounder this time. Thank god. Yes, Campoli is not THAT bad. Yes, it is a fine signing. But we will see how it evolves. Let's hope for the best. Still tough to see, despite his camp, that a guy who had some great flashes last year and just signed a 2-year contract, is already playing as a forward and the camp is not done yet.
Great rational post as always Whitesnake.

Old
09-27-2011, 10:50 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
I wonder if the people who called the signing "good" have actually seen Campoli play? How in the world will he bring more offense then Weber with what he has done thus far, is it really so hard to just go with young players who have potential 1st, and then see what happens? I'm trying to find ways to like the signing, to find something that he brings that we don't already have, but I just can't..

The Campoli singing also confirms that the Woywitka singing was crap from the get go.
Campoli wasn't singed as an offensive move, it was a solidification move for the D.

Woywitka was signed to a 2-way deal, so that signing to me was always a Hamilton move, not a Montreal roster spot.

Old
09-27-2011, 11:15 PM
le_sean

Quote:

50gp vs 400gp. That's what it comes down to, not offence.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:21 PM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:

Weber and Spacek are very bad defenseman. Campoli is an alright defenseman. Hence, we win.

Playmaker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:36 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker09 View Post
Weber and Spacek are very bad defenseman. Campoli is an alright defenseman. Hence, we win.
Spacek is a decent Dman if played right, and he has looked pretty decent this pre-season. The weight loss has helped and I think if he is a 3rd pairing guy he will be fine.

Old
09-28-2011, 12:09 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

I'm not a huge campoli fan, but at the end of the day, he's a mobile depth guy with decent offensive instincts who can chip in with some PP time.... certainly a better pp option than gorges on the 2nd unit

He is a bit of an adventure though. His brutal turnover lead to the series clinching goal in game 7 by alex burrows.... that play was a synopsis of his erratic defensive play at times.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote