HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal Signs Chris Campoli..1 year/1.75M

Old
09-28-2011, 09:30 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyC View Post
I think Campoli will turn out to be a slightly more expensive version of Weber.
Campoli is much more advanced defensively, by pairing him with Gorges I think they see him as a top 4 guy with Markov out and maybe #5 with Markov back. I'm a big fan of Weber, but his situation reminds me of O'byrne, JM doesn't have a lot of faith in him so he'll have to be great to play this year, it's unfortunate but I see him getting traded and develping into a Rafalski type #3-4 d-man that bring offense and dominates on the PP.

I see Campoli as a more mobile version of Gorges.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 09:34 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Campoli is much more advanced defensively, by pairing him with Gorges I think they see him as a top 4 guy with Markov out and maybe #5 with Markov back. I'm a big fan of Weber, but his situation reminds me of O'byrne, JM doesn't have a lot of faith in him so he'll have to be great to play this year, it's unfortunate but I see him getting traded and develping into a Rafalski type #3-4 d-man that bring offense and dominates on the PP.

Sounds like a fair comparison. Maybe not quite as good defensively and at blocking shots as Gorges but certainly better offensively.

Did Campoli play on the PK in Chicago or Ott?

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 09:34 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padrino86 View Post
lol at people crying over Emelin.

As if we owed him a spot because he decided to comes out of the KHL. He didn't earn it, it's as simple as that. Good bye, not a big loss.
We don't owe him a spot for no other reason that he can be a frontline player in the NHL. The only guys that were clearly ahead of him in preseason are Gorges and Subban and they are #1-2 on the depth chart without Markov. IMHO he is ahead of Diaz Gill Spacek Woywitka Weber in the pecking order. JM likes his veterans so he may end up in the KHL in favor of Spacek Gill and Woywitka.

Old
09-28-2011, 09:35 AM
durojean

The problem with Yemelin is that everyone expected to see an all star where each play would be better than the other and who is two notch above the other defensemen.

Guess what, he is a defensive defenseman with a good first pass a la Gorges. So he won't be really visible especially while he's adapting.

I think he played better than Weber and Diaz but that's just me. He didn't make any mistake but he's not an all star either and he's definitely physical... More than any other d from the habs right now.

durojean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:

more mobile version of Gorges? really? If that's what you think of Campoli, I think you're going to be very disapointed

Personally, I think Gorges is just as mobile if not more...Campoli has no business playing in any teams top 4 that has any aspirations to make the playoffs. He's a decent #5-6...that's all, who can fill in on a 2nd pairing on a short term basis.

He doesn't excel at anything in particular, but he's decent in almost everything but becomes a liability when he's used too much.

I expect when the Habs are fully healthy...he'll either be on the 3rd pairing, or be the #7 dman.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Sounds like a fair comparison. Maybe not quite as good defensively and at blocking shots as Gorges but certainly better offensively.

Did Campoli play on the PK in Chicago or Ott?
He's better than Gorges offensively, sure, but only marginally...Campoli doesn't really have an identity IMO. He's not good enough offensively to ignore his defensive shortcomings...

He can move the puck and be a decent presence on a 2nd PP unit...

I think a more apt comparison for Campoli would be our very own Jaroslav Spacek, the Spacek we've come to know in Montreal, not the minute eating/all purpose dman he was in Buffalo.

I like the move, though i've never been a big Campoli fan as it seems every team he's ever played for has put him in a position he can't fill. But when everyone is healthy, I think he'll be great in a 5-6 role...he might even be able to push Spacek out of the top 6 all together, maybe the Habs might be able to squeeze another team at the deadline for Spacek.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 09:59 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by durojean View Post
The problem with Yemelin is that everyone expected to see an all star where each play would be better than the other and who is two notch above the other defensemen.

Guess what, he is a defensive defenseman with a good first pass a la Gorges. So he won't be really visible especially while he's adapting.

I think he played better than Weber and Diaz but that's just me. He didn't make any mistake but he's not an all star either and he's definitely physical... More than any other d from the habs right now.
He is a much better puckhandler than Gorges, he is very smooth at the point, gets his shots to the net and sees teammates at the goalmouth with tip attempts. I think he has the tools to above average at both ends of the ice within a year if given ice time to adapt to NA and the NHL.

Old
09-28-2011, 09:59 AM
Andy

Campoli is a jack of all trades, but master or none. He performs every aspect of the game adequately, but very far from elite in everything. As 417 said, he's a perfect #5 guys. IMO he's much better than the #5s we've had recently with Mara and Sopel. He's also better than Weber by a mile.

Put it this way...he'll give you less of a headache than Spacek as a #5.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 10:04 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Campoli is a jack of all trades, but master or none. He performs every aspect of the game adequately, but very far from elite in everything. As 417 said, he's a perfect #5 guys. IMO he's much better than the #5s we've had recently with Mara and Sopel. He's also better than Weber by a mile.

Put it this way...he'll give you less of a headache than Spacek as a #5.
Bingo.

What I've been saying since we signed him, not to mention look at Spacek's pay check, and Campoli's, yet Campoli imo is much much better.

Done and Done.

Great signing and a great #5, and occasional #4 filler for our D core.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 10:07 AM
PricePkPatch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
Bingo.

What I've been saying since we signed him, not to mention look at Spacek's pay check, and Campoli's, yet Campoli imo is much much better.

Done and Done.

Great signing and a great #5, and occasional #4 filler for our D core.
Until our prospects proved they can fill his place more adequately. In that case, him or Spacek become prime tradebaits or draft picks.

PricePkPatch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 10:13 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Until our prospects proved they can fill his place more adequately. In that case, him or Spacek become prime tradebaits or draft picks.
I have no problem with that as long as our prospects(Yemelin and Weber) are not sitting every night in favor of Gill Spacek and Campoli. I think both Weber and Yemelin will be top 4 guys in a year(or two in Weber's case) but if they get the O'byrne treatment it will be hard for them to make it here because they'll always be looking over their shoulder where the next mistake puts them in the press box...that's a hard way to develop d-men. Subban survived it but he is an exceptional talent.

Unless Spacek is three times the player he was last year, I'll be pissed if he plays every game ahead of Weber and Yemelin.

Old
09-28-2011, 10:17 AM
Mike8

Quote:
He is a much better puckhandler than Gorges, he is very smooth at the point, gets his shots to the net and sees teammates at the goalmouth with tip attempts. I think he has the tools to above average at both ends of the ice within a year if given ice time to adapt to NA and the NHL.
The last thing I've ever thought of when watching Campoli play is that he's smooth.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 10:22 AM
habfan1968

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
The last thing I've ever thought of when watching Campoli play is that he's smooth.

I think he was talking about Yemelin, not Campoli.

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 10:22 AM
Bryson

Quote:
I thought the same thing until I realized he was talking about yemilin.

Bryson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 10:23 AM
De Montreal
help

We better not lose Yemelin

De Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 10:27 AM
habfan1968

vCash: 400
Why would we lose Yemelin? He is a good Dman, can skate hit pass at a NHL level. Maybe not in a top 4 capacity yet but you could see the tools there to one day be a top 4, I don't think it would be long before gets in the top 4 either. So he plays bottom pairing minutes and spots into the top 4 here and there. Weber and Spacek are the guys on the bubble here, not Yemelin.

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 10:31 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
We better not lose Yemelin
He can't leave if he's in the press box, only if he's demoted to the AHL. Honestly I don't expect him to play all 82 games(or however many he is healthy for). He'll get same the JM rookie treatment as everyone else. I just hope Markov explains to him not to let it get to him.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 10:34 AM
Andy

So this signing first implied Markov being more injured than first thought, to jumpoing to the conclusion that Yemelin is gone?

For ****sakes people. Game one is necxt week, calm down a little.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 10:34 AM
Bullsmith

Quote:

Wow, that's way too high praise IMO. Rafalski was an elite level skater and, as you say, dominated on the PP. Honestly Weber hasn't shown that kind of offensive upside since before PK took away his PP QB slot as a rookie in Hamilton. I've been a big Weber supporter but I have to say his lack of progress offensively is starting to make me wonder if he'll ever really turn into an offensive D in the NHL. The odds of him developing into a player of Rafalski's level are, IMO, pretty much zero. It's true Rafalski took an unusually long route to get to the NHL, but once he arrived he never put up less than 30 points, had four seasons over 50 pts and five more over 40. Again, not a knock on Weber but Rafalski was simply in a different league as a hockey player, IMO.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 10:35 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
I think he was talking about Yemelin, not Campoli.
Ahha! My mistake. Good call.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 10:43 AM
xposbrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyC View Post
I think Campoli will turn out to be a slightly more expensive version of Weber.
That's exactly what he is. I've seen him play enough to know, he's weak on D, makes plenty of mistakes like Weber. In front of the net, he's very very weak. Not overly strong and has some offensive upside. We have that all in Weber for half the price. Personally, I'm not a big fan of Weber, I would trade him for a different prospect because I don't think he has a future with us or will develop into anything.

xposbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 10:44 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Wow, that's way too high praise IMO. Rafalski was an elite level skater and, as you say, dominated on the PP. Honestly Weber hasn't shown that kind of offensive upside since before PK took away his PP QB slot as a rookie in Hamilton. I've been a big Weber supporter but I have to say his lack of progress offensively is starting to make me wonder if he'll ever really turn into an offensive D in the NHL. The odds of him developing into a player of Rafalski's level are, IMO, pretty much zero. It's true Rafalski took an unusually long route to get to the NHL, but once he arrived he never put up less than 30 points, had four seasons over 50 pts and five more over 40. Again, not a knock on Weber but Rafalski was simply in a different league as a hockey player, IMO.
Before being called up last year Weber had 8 goals 12 points in 15 games. Quite a large improvement on his previous years pace. Weber never should have been called up last year, it would have been better for his development to stay down and destroy the AHL.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 10:51 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
How about Yemelin?

Old
09-28-2011, 10:53 AM
EveryDay

6-76
75-26
17-74
Ex: 68

When 79 come back

79-26
75-76
17-6
Ex:74 and 68 become forward on 13-14th

EveryDay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 10:53 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

christ almighty...

yes.

signing campoli means yemelin is going back to russia or weber is getting traded.

yes.

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote