HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal Signs Chris Campoli..1 year/1.75M

Old
09-29-2011, 06:25 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtacular View Post
Things would be so much better if we had a $5million defenseman to be suspended for the first 8 games of the season...
its extremely unlikely he would be suspended if he was playing here. He wouldn't have been in the same situation. Even still, I'd rather have Wisniewski for 74 games than Campoli for any number of games. Campoli is a guy that 29 other teams deemed non-nhl worthy and now we have him in our top 4.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 06:28 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
its extremely unlikely he would be suspended if he was playing here. He wouldn't have been in the same situation. Even still, I'd rather have Wisniewski for 74 games than Campoli for any number of games. Campoli is a guy that 29 other teams deemed non-nhl worthy and now we have him in our top 4.
No, Campoli is a guy 29 other teams decided they didn't want to spend 1.75 million dollars on. That's completely different. Especially since there was other teams biding for him.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 07:32 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
First, comparing Wisniewski to Campoli is a joke...one cost 36 mil to sign and the other...about 5% of that at 1.75 mil. If Wisniewski was willing to sign for 1 year at that price Gauthier would have ran, not walked, to his agent and gotten him signed in a minute. Payaing an offensive defenseman 6 mil/year he BETTER BE your #1 offensive and PP guy, well we have Subban growing into taht and much cheaper and Markov coming baack and he is better and cheaper.

Second, not sure where you get that 29 other teams didn't want Campoli. An arbitrator thought he was worth 2.4 mil, Chicago traded a second(same price as Wisniewski) to get him and he was top 4 in Chicago and in Ottawa. The main reason he got signed so cheap is it's late in the off season and most teams either A-have already filled their holes on defense B-have no cap room or C-have no money in the budget. Last summer we got Halpern for next to nothing because it got late and it was a similar situation, he turned into a huge bargain.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 07:33 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
I guess you missed his interview eh ? There were plenty of other teams interested in him.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 07:40 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
I guess you missed his interview eh ? There were plenty of other teams interested in him.
Plenty? I heard it was 3 teams.

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 08:06 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Unfortunately, unlike what you're doing here, NHL franchises have to take contracts into consideration. The question is not Wisniewski for a season vs. Campoli for a season. It's Wisniewski for 6 years and 33 million versus Campoli for 1 year and 1.75 million. Slight difference.

By the way, 29 other teams apparently decided they didn't want Scott Hannan, and yet some people here are dying to put him in our top-4...I guess the grass is always greener on the other side.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 08:08 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Its 13% of the NHL teams. Not bad, I'd say. Specially if you consider I'm counting teams that simply have no cap space left or no need for a Campoli-style player into the available universe.

Ergo, AHMB was pretty wrong in his argumentation. Campoli is not judged a bust in the majority of the NHL.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 08:12 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Is 3 teams ( not including the Habs ) at this time of the year, good ? You are damn right it is.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 08:19 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

I have no problem with Campoli, I think he will get the job done here. Wisniewski was great for us but I'm not really sure about giving him that type of contract. We were all pissed when Souray and komisarek left and look at them now, we are all extremely happy they left.

Old
09-29-2011, 08:35 AM
Bullsmith

Quote:
The Chicago Blackhawks offered Campoli MORE than 1.7 million. He refused and won an almost 2.5 million award from the arbitrator. But heck what do Stan Bowman or some person both the NHL and NHLPA agreed was a fit judge of player compensation know about Campoli. He's a bust!. Also, as it happens he says, and I have no reason to call him a liar, that the Canadians were not the only team interested in signing him. But what's the difference between playing top miutes for the defending cup champ last year and being an NHL washout 29 other teams don't want? None, apparently.

As for being in our top 4, that's a result of injury. Wiz's team now has to bump someone up into their top 4 too, because he went out and earned himself a suspension. Your argument that he would never have behaved stupidly in Montreal is purely speculative. He felt the need to defend himself, is his story. Are you suggesting that in Montreal he would've felt better protected?

Last edited by Bullsmith: 09-29-2011 at 08:40 AM.
Bullsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 08:40 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
That's a terrible argument.

Lets say we're tied in OT on opening night, who do you send out to man the point on the PP, Gill or Yemelin?
Terrible argument or not. (and I don't think it is ) Do you really think that Yemelin right now is a more NHL ready defenseman than Hal Gill? He isn't. That's what I'm saying.

Last edited by Jigger77: 09-29-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 08:48 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post
getting Campoli means only one thing : Pierre Gauthier failed.

He failed by giving spacek that contract, which led to another mistake, letting hammer go.

he failed by trading 2nd rounders for capable guys, but the snobed them comes july 1rst . Its not only letting Hammer go, its also letting wiz go.

He failed by assuming he did not need to reinforce the Dman core thinking markov and gorges wouldnt suffer any setbacks.

And finally, he failed thinking that a yemelin would be able to play on nhl rinks overnight and that weber was ready.

Markov - Gorges
hammer- wiz
Gill - Subban

slice it all you want...this is the look our 2011-2012 Dcore should have looked like. with markov being remplaced by one of : yemelin, weber, diaz , ect ...

too many projects are penciled in the lineup at the moment, with campoli being useless ...id rather have a young player making those mistakes than have campoli making them...

poor asset management, in my humble opinion
I don't understand for sure what this signing means but I guess we'll find out soon enough. I questioned all along who was going to step up offensively from the blueline. Last year the season ended with Subban, Wiz and Hamrlik all capable of providing offense. Weber did but moreso when he was moved to forward I think.

So this year the offensive plan seemingly has Subban replacing Subban's offense, Markov replacing Wiz (who was no slouch) and a question IMO as to who was going to replace Hamr's. Maybe it was going to be joint effort but now management sees it is going to be a disjointed effort? Worst case scenario is Markov is out once again and this move is reactionary?

Perhaps the Habs did contact Campoli earlier on but they also signed Woywitka since then. So were the Habs all along after both or signed Woywitka anticipating everything else falling into place. IMO something did happen to change some minds whether it was Markov, disappointing camps or whatever and this signing is reactionary.

Time will tell I guess but IMO it is possible that Gauthier failed or perhaps was misled but I don't necessarily think he failed in the sense you state. My biggest qualm was signing Gill instead of signing an all around d-man like Hamrlik mainly because of injuries to one of Markov and / or Subban.

Had it been Hamrlik for instance it would have meant an extra .75 approx on the cap and another year in term but I don't think that would have been a bad thing for next year with Spacek gone. Granted Hamr signed 3.5 in Wash but I don't want to assume he would have signed at the same rate in Montreal.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 09:17 AM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Can't we just be appreciative and wait to see him play? lol

I mean, Is our team better with or without him? He seems like a great guy who already has great partnership with some of his teammates. He'll be on a contract year on a team where being a D has been reward-full the past years. He's easily the best value for the money option out there considering he was playing big minutes for Chicago last year. He played for Ottawa for a while so he gets what playing here is.

People mentioning that Wiznewski would be a better option I invite you to go on capgeek.com and look what you'd be dealing with and to that add the signings of Price and Subban next year and try to fit it. As for Hamrlik, I maybe would have give what Washington gave but who says he would have agreed to it. Don't say Hamr, his agent or the media said it... speculations are speculations and once some1 is signed they always wanna make a good impression to every1else no mater if its true or not.

I know the boards here are made to share opinions and arguing civilly but let's be honest here. That you like it or not, PG did a good signing... Let's just see what he's got before judging the move.

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 10:36 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
I liked the Wiz, but no way is he worth the contract he signed...

BLONG7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 11:16 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Terrible argument or not. (and I don't think it is ) Do you really think that Yemelin right now is a more NHL ready defenseman than Hal Gill? He isn't. That's what I'm saying.
Was PK more nhl ready than gill last year in camp? No, he was not. If you say yes, then why was only one of them scratched during the season?

Gill is more nhl ready. Hes an aging vet at the of his career. Doesnt mean hes better than Emelin, just like he was not better than PK last year.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 11:30 AM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post
getting Campoli means only one thing : Pierre Gauthier failed.

He failed by giving spacek that contract, which led to another mistake, letting hammer go.
You failed, right there.

CareyClutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 11:31 AM
HabsDood

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyClutch View Post
You failed, right there.
Yeah he did..

HabsDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 12:45 PM
Megaforce

I read an excellent interview with some obscure Montreal Manic soccer player from a few years ago and he explained that teammates compete with each other in a very personal way and don't welcome newcomers taking away the jobs held by their buddies.

"The attitude on the professional level is that you’re taking food out of somebody’s child’s mouth. It’s not a collegial slap-you-on-the-back type of affair, it’s a business,” he declared.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 12:56 PM
Habs Junkie

I guess no one heard that it's a 2 year deal at 1.75/year

Maybe the title to the thread should be updated?

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 01:00 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by hab junkie View Post

It's 1 year not 2

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=376815

Old
09-29-2011, 01:01 PM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
Team990 clarified it about an hour ago on their sports update

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 01:05 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Capgeek also has it at 1 year at 1.75 mil

http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=2

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 01:09 PM
pine

vCash: 50
Quote:

MONTREAL – Montreal Canadiens general manager Pierre Gauthier announced Monday the signing of defenseman Chris Campoli to a one-year contract for the 2011-12 season. As per club policy, financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=589962

Unless if,
Team 990 > Canadiens.com press release.

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 01:11 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
RDS, TSN and the Habs website have it at a 1 year deal. Must of been a mistake from the Team 990

Old
09-29-2011, 01:15 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Probably clarified they're useless.

Still no audio or anything with Campoli ? I figured people would jump on this like a fat kid on cake.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote