HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal Signs Chris Campoli..1 year/1.75M

Old
09-30-2011, 07:02 AM
BLONG7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
let s see how tonight game goes, before passing judgement.
Campoli had a decent game last night...good to see!

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 07:04 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Campoli had a decent game last night...good to see!
He skated and move the puck well, played mistake free on defense.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 07:28 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
arbitrators are useless. These are the same people that gave Niemi 4.5 million
I am amazed at how many people here can't do a little research to back up their statements.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=329126

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 08:52 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I think Campoli will do well here. He's mobile and not afraid to move the puck. Not great offensively or defensively but decent at both. Similar to Gorges in that sense...I think he will overachieve here similarly to guys like Gorges and Gill have done under JM's system.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 01:36 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
What would putting Spacek in the minors accomplish? His cap hit would still be there being a 35+. Get a clue before going off on your crazy rants.
oh it had nothing to do with the money, its about putting the best team on the ice, and letting a young guy making the mistakes because he's inexperienced rather than having a guy on the downhill making them. don't know where I said we'd save any money in the process.... honestly don't know where you got that from.

Last edited by THE HOFF: 09-30-2011 at 01:45 PM.
THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 01:57 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post
oh it had nothing to do with the money, its about putting the best team on the ice, and letting a young guy making the mistakes because he's inexperienced rather than having a guy on the downhill making them. don't know where I said we'd save any money in the process.... honestly don't know where you got that from.
Well what would be the point in sending him to the minors for? If he rides the bench, or is sent home, it's all the same thing. I guess its inferred that if a player is sent to the minors, cap relief is expected. We can put him on waivers, doubt anyone claims him, but maybe on re-entry someone does. But if you notice that management is loading up on D this year in case of injuries. We have 9 NHL capable D, obviously some better then others.

I am not one of those who thinks Spacek is useless. I don't like him playing more then 10 mins a game, and I know the salary doesn't reflect that aspect, but I want a team that will win and I think when he is given minimal responsibility, the opportunity to shine is there.

I can't see how anyone doesn't like the Campoli signing, he has the ability to help our PP out, cost very little and only 1 year. I think PG wanted to go the asset management route and this is a good deal.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 02:18 PM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
I can't see how anyone doesn't like the Campoli signing
Because he's not Drew Doughty or Shea Weber

He's good signing, esp as we gave up no assets to get him

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 03:02 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
He skated and move the puck well, played mistake free on defense.
The only thing I thought was wrong was his tape to tape passes, kinda of expected since it was his 1st game. I'm sure that will not be a problem for next Thursday

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 03:43 PM
Jigger77

In his defense tape-to-tape passes were rare for everyone last night on our side. Really sloppy execution.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:17 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
Well what would be the point in sending him to the minors for? If he rides the bench, or is sent home, it's all the same thing. I guess its inferred that if a player is sent to the minors, cap relief is expected. We can put him on waivers, doubt anyone claims him, but maybe on re-entry someone does. But if you notice that management is loading up on D this year in case of injuries. We have 9 NHL capable D, obviously some better then others.

I am not one of those who thinks Spacek is useless. I don't like him playing more then 10 mins a game, and I know the salary doesn't reflect that aspect, but I want a team that will win and I think when he is given minimal responsibility, the opportunity to shine is there.

I can't see how anyone doesn't like the Campoli signing, he has the ability to help our PP out, cost very little and only 1 year. I think PG wanted to go the asset management route and this is a good deal.
agreed that with a minimal role, spacek can play, and surprise a lot of people, including myself as he already has in the past, during our ECF push he was great, I thought. As long as he is treated like a 6th or 7th Dman... I wont say anything, but right now he's arguably in the top 4. And depth is good, but if it means that when markov goes down we see guys like spacek/woywita/emelin/weber taking his minutes, then Id argue that quality is better than depth, and quality and quality depth...we had it in the past (wiz,hammer,bergeron,obyrne ect...) . Can anyone explain how woywita is better depth than bergeron ? Id be glad to hear those twisted arguments.

Im ''happy'' we got Campoli . He brings a good overall game at a decent price. I just think that PG should have done better in terms of management. There were many teams involved for campoli's services. Say he chose to go somewhere else ... ? PG would have said he had complete confidence in our current Dcore because...that's his job to say that. My guess is that he thought markov and Gorges would be 100% and that our young players would fill the void... but if he thought emelin, weber,woywita and diaz would be able to fill the gap left by the departures of wiz and hammer, then I think we can argue that his optimism was founded on nothing more than a gut feeling. With a healthy markov and a healthy gorges... thats a bet I respect ... but when you don't have a clue whether or not they (markov and gorges) will play at the same level...or at all , that's a bet you can't afford, in my opinion.

I have a feeling we are ''patching'' the roster, and its the first time in a few years that I think our Dcore is not close to be the best in the division prior to the season. Offensiely, we certainly got better, but defensively ... we let some really good players walk out the door . Another thing that bothers me is the amount of picks we traded to patch our roster in the past few years ... even if pierre gauthier says ''some picks are comming in so it even things out ... '' its fine, but he loses a pick for a rental every single time, and with the way we are drafting, Id take advantage of that and retain a maximum of picks rather than playing poker with our assets at every trade deadline. Its a matter of time before one of his magic clutch trades wont work ... and its also a matter of time before the next maxpac is one of those 2nd rounders we threw away consistently every year for a wiz' half year...

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 09:43 AM
macavoy

Quote:
I have a feeling we are ''patching'' the roster, and its the first time in a few years that I think our Dcore is not close to be the best in the division prior to the season. Offensiely, we certainly got better, but defensively ... we let some really good players walk out the door . Another thing that bothers me is the amount of picks we traded to patch our roster in the past few years ... even if pierre gauthier says ''some picks are comming in so it even things out ... '' its fine, but he loses a pick for a rental every single time, and with the way we are drafting, Id take advantage of that and retain a maximum of picks rather than playing poker with our assets at every trade deadline. Its a matter of time before one of his magic clutch trades wont work ... and its also a matter of time before the next maxpac is one of those 2nd rounders we threw away consistently every year for a wiz' half year...
You are right, we are patching our team together but guess what, that is how winning is done. Detroit has a history of patching at the deadline.

The reality is you CANNOT build a team from UFA & UFA, it's not enough, you need to patch your holes with pieces from other team's strengths.

You are also right, this is our weakest D in years but it was better than the options. PG learnt from BG's mistake of giving a 38 year old almost $4m, do you really want Hammer at $3.5m next year on the books?

Or would you have preferred Wiz@ $6m? Ordid you want to beat the Sabres $40m offer to Erhoff?

The reality is you have to keep building each section at a time. The reality was are core was really old and in need of rejuvinating. You can't magically do it all at once with such a small UFA pool these days.

Instead of merely beingnegative, why don't you give some alternativesthat you think would have been better. Yea our D is young and has holes butwe are not screwed for the future. That is a goodthing.

macavoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
agreed that with a minimal role, spacek can play, and surprise a lot of people, including myself as he already has in the past, during our ECF push he was great, I thought. As long as he is treated like a 6th or 7th Dman... I wont say anything, but right now he's arguably in the top 4. And depth is good, but if it means that when markov goes down we see guys like spacek/woywita/emelin/weber taking his minutes, then Id argue that quality is better than depth, and quality and quality depth...we had it in the past (wiz,hammer,bergeron,obyrne ect...) . Can anyone explain how woywita is better depth than bergeron ? Id be glad to hear those twisted arguments.

Im ''happy'' we got Campoli . He brings a good overall game at a decent price. I just think that PG should have done better in terms of management. There were many teams involved for campoli's services. Say he chose to go somewhere else ... ? PG would have said he had complete confidence in our current Dcore because...that's his job to say that. My guess is that he thought markov and Gorges would be 100% and that our young players would fill the void... but if he thought emelin, weber,woywita and diaz would be able to fill the gap left by the departures of wiz and hammer, then I think we can argue that his optimism was founded on nothing more than a gut feeling. With a healthy markov and a healthy gorges... thats a bet I respect ... but when you don't have a clue whether or not they (markov and gorges) will play at the same level...or at all , that's a bet you can't afford, in my opinion.

Every team makes minor tweaks to the roster, not sure why you find this an issue.

GM's are always looking to add 1-2 depth guys or players to fit a specific role. I expect PG to deal at some point in the next 3-4 months for another center...maybe once teams fall out of contention or maybe certain players get disgruntled somewhere etc

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:08 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
You are right, we are patching our team together but guess what, that is how winning is done. Detroit has a history of patching at the deadline.

The reality is you CANNOT build a team from UFA & UFA, it's not enough, you need to patch your holes with pieces from other team's strengths.

You are also right, this is our weakest D in years but it was better than the options. PG learnt from BG's mistake of giving a 38 year old almost $4m, do you really want Hammer at $3.5m next year on the books?

Or would you have preferred Wiz@ $6m? Ordid you want to beat the Sabres $40m offer to Erhoff?

The reality is you have to keep building each section at a time. The reality was are core was really old and in need of rejuvinating. You can't magically do it all at once with such a small UFA pool these days.

Instead of merely beingnegative, why don't you give some alternativesthat you think would have been better. Yea our D is young and has holes butwe are not screwed for the future. That is a goodthing.
I agree to a certain extent but Gionta, Gomez, Gill and Spacek + Mara (and Cole this year) are not that "young".

Montreal gave up on many real young players too since the last three years: Latendresse, Lapierre, Grabovsky, S.Kostitsyn, D'Agostini, O'Byrne....

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:09 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Campoli is a good guy, good speed, okay defense, but I think what's gonna make him hated by the end of the season is that he'll try to do too much and cough up the puck a lot.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:15 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
I agree to a certain extent but Gionta, Gomez, Gill and Spacek + Mara (and Cole this year) are not that "young".

Montreal gave up on many real young players too since the last three years: Latendresse, Lapierre, Grabovsky, S.Kostitsyn, D'Agostini, O'Byrne....
Sorry I meant to say D core in the line you bolded but I couldn't edit on my phone.

macavoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:31 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Despite all the complaints about the way they draft and develop players, Montreal is a machine at putting players in the NHL. I remember seeing data (it might be a couple of years old) that indicated more NHLers had been drafted by Montreal than any other team.

In a very real sense, they develop more players than they can really use. So of course they litter other clubs with them.

It would help if they did a better job getting returns for their trades, but Montreal "giving up" on young players is inevitable if their system keeps being this productive.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 02:20 PM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:

Lapierre requested a trade, Grabovsky and Kostitsyn were "cancers" in the locker room, and D'Agostini and Latendresse we doing really badly with the habs when they were traded. Point is, we all saw the reasoning behind the trades, unfortunately we didn't get much back (save for the O'byrne trade). But Hindsight is always 20/20 and its cheap to use it as an argument.

I think the poster meant defense anyways... The D corp last season was so slow and old! The only slow guys in the top 6 now are Gill and Spacek, with the 4 others being more than fast enough. Last season at one point the habs had Hammer, Sopel, Mara, Spacek and Gill with subban being the only mobile defenseman. just didnt make sense.

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 04:02 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
Lapierre requested a trade, Grabovsky and Kostitsyn were "cancers" in the locker room, and D'Agostini and Latendresse we doing really badly with the habs when they were traded. Point is, we all saw the reasoning behind the trades, unfortunately we didn't get much back (save for the O'byrne trade). But Hindsight is always 20/20 and its cheap to use it as an argument.

I think the poster meant defense anyways... The D corp last season was so slow and old! The only slow guys in the top 6 now are Gill and Spacek, with the 4 others being more than fast enough. Last season at one point the habs had Hammer, Sopel, Mara, Spacek and Gill with subban being the only mobile defenseman. just didnt make sense.
Lapierre requested a trade because he felt he wasn't being used properly. It's a communication breakdown between coach and player.

Grabovski was not a cancer in the room. He left the team to meet with his agent because he wanted to PLAY HOCKEY. He would RATHER PLAY IN THE AHL. Than stay in the press box and not get any NHL time.

Sergei Kostitsyn was given a sense of entitlement by the Habs. They did not work properly with him and let a kid with talent go for nothing rather than working a solution out.

D'Agostini was traded because management wasn't patient enough to wait for him to learn to be a more complete player.

Latendresse was traded because management rushed him into the NHL. When they should have sent him to the AHL after a rollercoaster of a first NHL season as a junior aged played. They also failed to use methods of coaching him to get him to understand what his role would have to be in the NHL.

Spin it how you want. We lost valuable young players for no return. All because we brought them up too early, were not patient enough with them and not willing to put in the time to cultivate them into the players they are now.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 04:16 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Out of the cut forwards, nobody impressed me more than Gallagher and Archambault.

Brendan will be back, he's close.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 04:21 PM
Crimson Skorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Out of the cut forwards, nobody impressed me more than Gallagher and Archambault.

Brendan will be back, he's close.
One more year in Vancouver, 1-2 years in Hamilton.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 04:56 PM
kovatroll*
David Clarkson ✘👎

Future, Montreal makes it to playoffs, get eliminated as Campoli turns the puck over, again.

kovatroll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 05:00 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionbaiter View Post
Future, Montreal makes it to playoffs, get eliminated as Campoli turns the puck over, again.
Took U 7 posts to come up with that eh!

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 05:09 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
Took U 7 posts to come up with that eh!
That made me chuckle.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
That made me chuckle.
Leafs fans he's obvious troll. At least make an effort to be original.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 05:24 PM
Max Levine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
One more year in Vancouver, 1-2 years in Hamilton.
I think it should be part of a youngster's progression to go to the minors and work on weaknesses and improve strengths but, in Gallagher's case, he could easily start in Montreal as soon as next season if there was room for him.

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote