HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Chris Campoli

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-26-2011, 03:43 PM
  #1
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,318
vCash: 500
Chris Campoli

Hey Hawks fans,

Would any of you lovely folks mind giving me a rundown of Campoli's strengths and weaknesses, trying to put any bias (positive or negative) aside?

Would be much appreciated!

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:49 PM
  #2
Recoil
Registered User
 
Recoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 2,750
vCash: 500
Good puck moving defensemen who seemed to fit in real well here, but got too greedy this off season with his contract demands and we let him walk. Simple as that really. You got him at a price that is just a bit less than we were offering him (and a LOT less than he was asking + multiyear) so its a good deal.

Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:53 PM
  #3
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 24,676
vCash: 10592
Strengths: Very good skater, good puck mover, good motor (plays the whole rink and does a good job going coast to coast to get back to his position), plays good position D, good stick, good moxy for a smallish D-man

Weaknesses: Takes a lot of chances on offense but doesn't have a very accurate shot, goes top shelf and wide too often, scares the hell out of you when he's behind the other teams net at even strength, doesn't play physical but will agitate and try to clear the front of net even though he's not great at it, at least the effort is there

Skating: A-

Offensively: B-

Defensively: C+

I would have liked for the Hawks to keep him, but it went the way it did. One of the better No. 5's in the league, especially if it's an offensive minded system, can play on the second pairing when injuries hit.

coldsteelonice84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:53 PM
  #4
Blue Liner
Registered User
 
Blue Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,281
vCash: 500
I agree, I liked him while he was here and thought he fit in real well. At that price he's a good pickup.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 04:00 PM
  #5
RomersWorld*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7,162
vCash: 500
He is no Cristobal Huet. Sorry.

RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 04:47 PM
  #6
Sevanston
Moderator
 
Sevanston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 10,342
vCash: 500
You won't hate him, probably won't love him either.

Great skater, awkward shooter. Sometimes tries to force the puck forward when it can't go. Defensively average. He's a solid young depth defenseman who can fill in a top 4 role when injuries come up.

I'm curious, have you followed Huet even in the Swiss leagues? Come by more often!

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 05:00 PM
  #7
massivegoonery
Registered User
 
massivegoonery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 11,318
vCash: 500
We give Montador $2.75m for forever but somehow Campoli for the same would be expensive?

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 05:05 PM
  #8
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,318
vCash: 500
Thanks for your great, detailed answers all! On the Habs side of things, we're a bit at a loss as to why he was picked up, considering the plethora of NHL-caliber defenseman we've got on hand, but I'm hoping it pays off. Sounds like we got him at a good deal too.

I know you mentioned he's a good at puck moving, but more specifically - how's his breakout pass, typically, accurate and hard or wild/inconsistent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
You won't hate him, probably won't love him either.

Great skater, awkward shooter. Sometimes tries to force the puck forward when it can't go. Defensively average. He's a solid young depth defenseman who can fill in a top 4 role when injuries come up.

I'm curious, have you followed Huet even in the Swiss leagues? Come by more often!
Hey, if it means less (or no) Spacek in the lineup and reduced minutes for an aging Gill, I'm all for it.

And to answer your question: I did follow Huet with Fribourg last season. He had an up and down year, not so unlike his time with the Hawks (still as streaky and inconsistent as ever). Looks like he's going to return there this year, so I'll be keeping an eye on him again.

Managed to catch a game or two last year, and a handful on the radio, but it's harder to follow a guy playing in the Swiss Leagues as I did when he was with the Hawks. Maybe it's for the best - my sanity probably couldn't handle the roller coaster seasons he keeps putting up.

I should drop by more often, but with Huet gone, there wasn't as much for me to say. I will definitely hit you guys up more often this year.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 05:35 PM
  #9
BobbyJet
Registered User
 
BobbyJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dundas, Ontario. Can
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
We give Montador $2.75m for forever but somehow Campoli for the same would be expensive?
Yeah... a bit puzzling isn't it. I certainly hope Montador is better than what he has shown so far.

Campoli is a bit of a gambler, but I liked his competitiveness.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 05:50 PM
  #10
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 14,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
We give Montador $2.75m for forever but somehow Campoli for the same would be expensive?
Who knows what Campoli was looking for in July. He may have been waiting for a $4 mil offer....a week out from the start of the season he has to settle for a 1 year deal at $1.75 mil

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 06:01 PM
  #11
Recoil
Registered User
 
Recoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 2,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Who knows what Campoli was looking for in July. He may have been waiting for a $4 mil offer....a week out from the start of the season he has to settle for a 1 year deal at $1.75 mil
I'd still bet that it wasn't the dollars that Campoli was asking for that was the dealbreaker in July, I bet he was asking for longer term than the Hawks wanted for him.

That being said, I agree about why we bothered to sign Montador to a 4 year deal then? Just odd so far...

Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 06:11 PM
  #12
RayP
Registered User
 
RayP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 54,721
vCash: 50
He was always one of the first guys to stick up for another teammate, which I liked. Aside from that, I'll just same X2 to pretty much everything said above. Would have loved him back at a decent price.

RayP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 08:21 PM
  #13
Tone King
Atomic Punk
 
Tone King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Uranus
Country: United States
Posts: 8,524
vCash: 50
I don't know about 'loving' having him back. He was a give away waiting to happen in the playoffs when the pressure was on. For a decent price he would have been OK. But who knows what he was asking for.

Tone King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 09:25 PM
  #14
LandofLincoln
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,584
vCash: 500
Campoli

well worth 1.75 easily worth 2.25...

I give him a solid grade of a B for---- Dmen making 1.75m not to many have that kind of game for that price.

Potential 2nd unit powerplay type player, not a great shot but moves well. Fits in well with teamates and everybody in Chicago players and fans wanted him to stay.

Needs to fire his agent.

LandofLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 09:42 PM
  #15
brtriad
Registered User
 
brtriad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Loop
Country: United States
Posts: 13,004
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Should've been here for that price or anything up to 2.25 as was stated. We have the cap space and we're thin at D. Bullheadedness on both sides.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 09:56 PM
  #16
massivegoonery
Registered User
 
massivegoonery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 11,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
I don't know about 'loving' having him back. He was a give away waiting to happen in the playoffs when the pressure was on. For a decent price he would have been OK. But who knows what he was asking for.
Did you see Montador under pressure against Washington? He literally just fell down.

If that's what $2.75m buys you nowadays, the Hawks walked away from a gift of a $2.5m arbitration award.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:11 PM
  #17
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 14,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
Did you see Montador under pressure against Washington? He literally just fell down.

If that's what $2.75m buys you nowadays, the Hawks walked away from a gift of a $2.5m arbitration award.
Seriously, you'll disregard an entire career of work because of one play in a preseason game....what a joke.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:33 PM
  #18
massivegoonery
Registered User
 
massivegoonery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 11,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Seriously, you'll disregard an entire career of work because of one play in a preseason game....what a joke.
His entire career was complete **** up until he got to Buffalo. Even then, "serviceable" is probably the best word to describe him. I'd take Campoli over him in a heartbeat.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:34 PM
  #19
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 24,676
vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Seriously, you'll disregard an entire career of work because of one play in a preseason game....what a joke.
If that was the first time you saw Montador play, you'd probably say the same thing.

coldsteelonice84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:38 PM
  #20
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 24,676
vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
His entire career was complete **** up until he got to Buffalo. Even then, "serviceable" is probably the best word to describe him. I'd take Campoli over him in a heartbeat.
Sharp wasn't good until he came here, now every team in the league wants to trade for him. I fail to see your point. Who gives a damn what Montador did in Anaheim, he's just as good as Campoli, actually better IMO, but he has a different skill set and will actually throw the body and play physical, which this D needs. We have puck movers. I would have kept Campoli over Lepisto and signed everyone else we did, but oh well, Montador is better.

coldsteelonice84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:41 PM
  #21
massivegoonery
Registered User
 
massivegoonery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 11,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Sharp wasn't good until he came here, now every team in the league wants to trade for him. I fail to see your point. Who gives a damn what Montador did in Anaheim, he's just as good as Campoli, actually better IMO, but he has a different skill set and will actually throw the body and play physical, which this D needs. We have puck movers. I would have kept Campoli over Lepisto and signed everyone else we did, but oh well, Montador is better.
That's the thing, we don't have puck movers any more. Keith and Seabrook are a given for half the game and then it's derp all the way down.

And Sharp wasn't 30 years old when he came here, either. And forget about Anaheim for a minute, he was absolute garbage in Boston even more recently.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:48 PM
  #22
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 24,676
vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
That's the thing, we don't have puck movers any more. Keith and Seabrook are a given for half the game and then it's derp all the way down.

And Sharp wasn't 30 years old when he came here, either. And forget about Anaheim for a minute, he was absolute garbage in Boston even more recently.
Buffalo liked him last year. He has a very accurate, tippable shot. I think you'll be surprised how well that plays with us. We need more physical play than just Seabrook and Montador and SOD bring that. As far as puckmovers go, Leddy should keep progressing. Lepisto is there. Keith and Seabrook were wore out last year, no excuses but let's see how they come back. They have a good enough resume to get the benefit of the doubt on last year, and IMO Seabrook was very good offensively. Let's just take a step back and watch the first month or two before judging them.

coldsteelonice84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:56 PM
  #23
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 21,374
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Buffalo liked him last year. He has a very accurate, tippable shot. I think you'll be surprised how well that plays with us. We need more physical play than just Seabrook and Montador and SOD bring that. As far as puckmovers go, Leddy should keep progressing. Lepisto is there. Keith and Seabrook were wore out last year, no excuses but let's see how they come back. They have a good enough resume to get the benefit of the doubt on last year, and IMO Seabrook was very good offensively. Let's just take a step back and watch the first month or two before judging them.
He was a healthy scratch in the playoffs. Campoli is a much better offensive player then Montador, and only a slightly worse defensive one.

Great deal for Montreal. Campoli does everything at an acceptable level. Defensive gaffes will happen, but his puck moving ability and skating is definitely an asset.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 11:08 PM
  #24
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 24,676
vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
He was a healthy scratch in the playoffs. Campoli is a much better offensive player then Montador, and only a slightly worse defensive one.

Great deal for Montreal. Campoli does everything at an acceptable level. Defensive gaffes will happen, but his puck moving ability and skating is definitely an asset.
Great deal for Montreal, but Montador is underrated offensively. He was funky after the concussion late last year and his play dropped off a lot. I would have scratched him too.

coldsteelonice84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 11:19 PM
  #25
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 14,095
vCash: 500
I love these forums...when it was rumored Campoli may be a Hawks target people were pissed....he was exactly what we didn't want. Now all of a sudden he's a good puck moving defenseman that was good at defense. Got it.

And ya, Montador was so terrible in Boston they were playing him 20 minutes a game in the playoffs.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.