HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Bulldogs want an empty arena???

Old
09-26-2011, 05:48 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

vCash: 500
Bulldogs want an empty arena???

No more students or seniors prices! You can't do that when you have 9,000+ seats and only usually need about half.

I don't know what there up to but I see this as nothing but a disaster. Do the have a ticket limit that most be reached in their contract with the city?

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 09:16 PM
go_leafs_go02

vCash: 695
The Bulldogs are from what I remember being the worst-run hockey franchise i've experienced. They do nothing to help make games at Copps enjoyable, and now this pricing is a laugh. I'm back in Hamilton, and no way do I ever plan on going to a Bulldogs game. I'll sooner head back to my hometown London for a Knights game. Full-house, exciting hockey, and it's junior hockey.

However, it appears that Ticketmaster offers $20.00 tickets for students or seniors. Along with a whopping $7.00 ticketmaster fee...

Last edited by go_leafs_go02: 09-26-2011 at 09:22 PM.
go_leafs_go02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 10:35 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Over 6,000 for the home opener. Not sure if there were any promotions to get that number, but, good start. Be interesting to see what happens the next few home games.

Old
10-16-2011, 03:38 PM
jetsfan85*

Hamilton has NEVER drawn well for AHL games. their only respectable crowds are usually home openers and the calder cup finals when they made it that one year.. they cant even muster up 4000 for a playoff game in the previous rounds.

jetsfan85* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 04:17 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan85 View Post
Hamilton has NEVER drawn well for AHL games. their only respectable crowds are usually home openers and the calder cup finals when they made it that one year.. they cant even muster up 4000 for a playoff game in the previous rounds.
Dogs have made it to the Calder Cup 3 times, winning once.

Without group sales and lack of corporate season tickets many teams routinely draw small crowds in the playoffs. This is a league wide issue.

Hamilton has consistently been mid-pack until last year.......

2006/07 14th 4,888
2007/08 15th 4,575
2008/09 15th 4,624
2009/10 15th 4,374
2010/11 21st 4,257

Last edited by Stanley Foobrick: 10-16-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old
10-20-2011, 10:47 AM
Rocko604

Can they blame it on the fact they're affiliated with Montreal, like Abbotsford/Calgary?

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:22 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Absolutely plays into it, Habs farm team in the middle of Leaf country can be a tough sell.

I often wonder if the Leafs farm team would last for 15+ years in Laval or some other city outside of Montreal, much like Hamilton is to Toronto...... that I hardly doubt.

Old
10-22-2011, 09:19 AM
Evil Doctor
Army Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
Absolutely plays into it, Habs farm team in the middle of Leaf country can be a tough sell.

I often wonder if the Leafs farm team would last for 15+ years in Laval or some other city outside of Montreal, much like Hamilton is to Toronto...... that I hardly doubt.
I honestly think the affliation has nothing to do with it. The Marlies have hardly drawn well, with last year being the first time they had better attendance than Hamilton, that is more due to Hamilton declining interest in the Bulldogs. If the Bulldogs were a Leaf affliate, I don't think we would see the attendance change one iota...

Evil Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 09:56 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:

The thing is the marlies the leafs farm team does not draw all that well i think its just the gta area does not have a real big taste for hockey out side of the nhl.As for the leafs farm team out side of toronto it would do well in some markets just a exzample you please the leafs or habs farmm team in ottawa they would likely draw well.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 09:59 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
Can they blame it on the fact they're affiliated with Montreal, like Abbotsford/Calgary?
If the marlies had good support and ohl had good support you could maybe say that its because its the habs farm team but with the leafs farm team not having great support it would be hard to say its just because its a habs farm team.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 03:32 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
If the marlies had good support and ohl had good support you could maybe say that its because its the habs farm team but with the leafs farm team not having great support it would be hard to say its just because its a habs farm team.
I said, "plays into it"...... it is hardly the leading cause.

One of the leading causes is the NHL or nothing mentality of a lot of Hamiltonian's. They somehow believe they deserve a NHL club and will not pay to support anything less. They'd rather watch a game on TV then support an "inferior product" like the AHL.

Old
11-03-2011, 01:40 AM
blueandgoldguy

Quote:
I said, "plays into it"...... it is hardly the leading cause.

One of the leading causes is the NHL or nothing mentality of a lot of Hamiltonian's. They somehow believe they deserve a NHL club and will not pay to support anything less. They'd rather watch a game on TV then support an "inferior product" like the AHL.
And I don't really get this attitude. Hamilton never had an NHL team so it's not like the people in Hamilton have something to compare it to. Support the team you have Hamilton!!

blueandgoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:29 AM
eggy2486
Hitman #6

well they did have the Hamilton Tigers from 1920-1925 .. just to nitpick

eggy2486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 11:34 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Well it obviously isn't empty but 6 games in they sit in 24th among the 30 teams.

They're averaging 3,360 per game and although that number will increase as the weather turns to winter I don't expect this number to surpass last year, really wonder if it will even reach 4,000.

Old
11-05-2011, 04:36 PM
neofury*

Why they would put the Canadiens AHL affiliate in Ontario near Toronto I'll never understand. Of course a bunch of leafs homers aren't going to like them and whine about this or that about how badly run the team is.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 11:29 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Why they would put the Canadiens AHL affiliate in Ontario near Toronto I'll never understand. Of course a bunch of leafs homers aren't going to like them and whine about this or that about how badly run the team is.
Canada doesn't care about minor league hockey to begin with...

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 03:49 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
you don't place the Canadiens' AHL Affiliate in your arch-rivals backyard, in Quebec City, as was the case for 3 or so years either, tht's why it's in Hamilton, in addition to being split based off the Canadiens/Nordiques history, not to mention Quebec's insistence at times to be a separatist country from the Dominion, add to tht the Remparts existence didn't help matters.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 03:51 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
oh, and America does, GMR? say goodbye to all hockey teams then, regardless of league designation

Old
11-07-2011, 04:21 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
oh, and America does, GMR? say goodbye to all hockey teams then, regardless of league designation
More than Canada for whatever it's worth. What canadian team draws? Don't say the Marlies. When you are NHL Owned it doesn't matter, only reason they are still goin.

Old
11-07-2011, 08:43 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
More than Canada for whatever it's worth. What canadian team draws? Don't say the Marlies. When you are NHL Owned it doesn't matter, only reason they are still goin.
Toronto is an exception, has been since Newmarket and St. Catherines, GMR, MLSE & Mtl have always done tht philosophy-wise

Old
11-13-2011, 11:50 PM
blueandgoldguy

Quote:
Don't think so. Moose were almost always top 3 in attendance and the number one team in revenue in the AHL. Winnipeg's new affiliate in St. John's will probably sellout every game this year.

blueandgoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 07:57 AM
IceCapsFanNL

We've been averaging 101% of our capacity at Mile One Centre. Couldn't get a single ticket for Saturday's game.

I think it different here. The AHL left the Maritimes the Q came in and the fans seem to prefer the Q. When the SJML left, the Q came in right away, but it was a big flop.

IceCapsFanNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2011, 11:42 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Don't think so. Moose were almost always top 3 in attendance and the number one team in revenue in the AHL. Winnipeg's new affiliate in St. John's will probably sellout every game this year.
Sure, but the Moose always won and fell into that Hershey/Chicago exception to the rule category on how things were done. If the team sucked I bet the support would have been different...

Old
11-14-2011, 06:23 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
Sure, but the Moose always won and fell into that Hershey/Chicago exception to the rule category on how things were done. If the team sucked I bet the support would have been different...
Manitoba is no longer w/ Vancouver, GMR, all tht really changed was WPG & VAN switched affiliates, the only reason St. John's left is MLSE rejected the SJSE proposal for the lease and the competition was HEADED toward the Q, because of all the former Atlantic Canadian cities transitioned to that league..... the only reason the Fog Devils( now the Armada) were even included was Saint John joined tht league.

Old
11-14-2011, 09:36 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:

I have honestly always been of the idea that AHL teams need to be within 500km of their team if possible (and I honestly don't see why it couldn't be). It would help drive the sales of the team a ton. Here in Fort McMurray, we could probably bring in 7,000 a night if we had the Oilers AHL team. I imagine Red Deer would do well with a Calgary franchise as well. Abbotsford should have Vancouvers team. I think it would drive ticket sales for these teams through the roof to what they are used to if all the teams fell within the fan base for the main team.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote