HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Will Wayne Simmonds get a fine or anything for what he just did?

Closed Thread

Old
09-26-2011, 07:14 PM
Muh
Beadle

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
When he said it, he obviously wasn't hating on gay people. That word has become a common word used now as an insult. Should it be a fine/suspension if someone gets called an a-hole or dumbass or POS?

These words get used TONS of times a game, if everytime there was a fine, Shanny would be up all night and all through the off season making videos.
Thats not the point. The initial question was based on it being broadcast to a national audience.

Old
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseFlyers View Post
Yeah, by black people
Black people calling white people that is fine. Black people calling black people that is fine. But when white people call other white people that, or a white person calls a black person that and they hear it, you'd better believe someone's getting angry.

A gay person calling a gay person an "F" is fine. A gay person calling a non-gay person an "F" is fine. But when a non-gay person calls another non-gay an "F," or a non-gay person calls a gay person that and they hear it, you'd better believe someone's getting angry.

See how that works?

Old
delled

Imagine a nazi being sick of the support Simmonds got during "Bananagate", sees the thread title and his mouth waters and drools at the possibility of ammunition to use against Simmonds, only to open the thread and think "Aww, so I have to defend homosexuals?" (*facepalm). It would kill the hypothetical nazi lol. Its a Curb Your Enthusiasm episode that writes itself! Larry, are you a lurker?

Old
09-26-2011, 07:15 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCally View Post
Does stuff like this get screamed all the time on the ice? Probably.

Am I personally offended by this? No.

Would other people be offended by this? Yes.

That last one is all that matters and unfortunately for Simmonds it was caught on camera and there will probably be some backlash from this.
Pretty much. Simmonds should be smarter after going through what he went through.

Old
09-26-2011, 07:16 PM
CloutierForVezina

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseFlyers View Post
the "F" name's definition and use has evolved beyond gay people and is used as synonym for someone who is being a total ass. the "N" word has not become anything but a racial slur for black people.
This guy understands how words evolve in language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
Not to gay people, it hasn't.

Just like even though white people use the "N" word at each other, it's still offensive to black folks.

Using your argument, I could start calling everyone the "N" word because they're being douches -- it's not meant in a malicious way toward black people, it just means a person's being stupid.

Doesn't sound as good that way, does it?
This guy doesn't.

Words evolve new, alternate meanings all the time. Language is constantly in flux, words are constantly being redefined, added and removed. Just like gay used to mean happy, it was almost exclusively an insult directed to homosexuals for awhile and is now generally taken to be a general description of anyone acting in an unsavoury manner with no actual connotation that the person being called it is in fact homosexual or that being homosexual is a negative thing.

There's no way for you to officially declare what a word's most common usage is and there's no scientific formula that declares when a new meaning is the norm but to ignore the change because it is a slow and non-linear process is simply being stubborn. Although there have been attempts to change the "N" word from an offensive, racist connotation to a less offensive term of pseudo-endearment, the most common usage is still as a racist term.

That's why it's unacceptable to call someone the "N" word yet it is quickly becoming less and less frowned upon to call someone the "F" word in the connotation of someone being a general ass instead of someone being a homosexual. It is still frowned upon to refer to someone as the "F" word if the intent is to actually imply they are homosexual and that they should be disparaged for that fact.

The problem with you trying to force a change in the language yourself is you are usually far too insignificant to actually affect the change you're trying to make. If you could get an entire population to redefine the meaning of the "N" word to a term of endearment, it would be perfectly fine to use it at will. The evil in words is not in the words themselves but in the implications they carry. As Shakespeare once said, "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

Old
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Black people calling white people that is fine. Black people calling black people that is fine. But when white people call other white people that, or a white person calls a black person that and they hear it, you'd better believe someone's getting angry.

A gay person calling a gay person an "F" is fine. A gay person calling a non-gay person an "F" is fine. But when a non-gay person calls another non-gay an "F," or a non-gay person calls a gay person that and they hear it, you'd better believe someone's getting angry.

See how that works?
Great job breaking that down for people that have trouble.

Old
BobbySmithFan

Bottom line: Precedence.

NHL has fined players for saying the "N Word" and "Monkey" to Black players, and for saying "Frog" to French players.

So obviously, the league has established that this kind of stuff is NOT ok.

Old
09-26-2011, 07:17 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloutierForVezina View Post

This guy doesn't.

Words evolve new, alternate meanings all the time. Language is constantly in flux, words are constantly being redefined, added and removed. Just like gay used to mean happy, it was almost exclusively an insult directed to homosexuals for awhile and is now generally taken to be a general description of anyone acting in an unsavoury manner with no actual connotation that the person being called it is in fact homosexual or that being homosexual is a negative thing.

There's no way you to officially declare what a word's most common usage is and there's no scientific formula that declares when a new meaning is the norm but to ignore the change because it is a slow and non-linear process is simply being stubborn. Although there have been attempts to change the "N" word from an offensive, racist connotation to a less offensive term of pseudo-endearment, the most common usage is still as a racist term.

That's why it's unacceptable to call someone the "N" word yet it is quickly becoming less and less frowned upon to call someone the "F" word in the connotation of someone being a general ass instead of someone being a homosexual. It is still frowned upon to refer to someone as the "F" word if the intent is to actually imply they are homosexual and that they should be disparaged for that fact.

The problem with you trying to force a change in the language yourself is you are usually far too insignificant to actually effect the change you're trying to make. If you could get an entire population to redefine the meaning of the "N" word to a term of endearment, it would be perfectly fine to use it at will. The evil in words is not in the words themselves but in the implications they carry. As Shakespeare once said, "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."
You can't possibly be trying to justify calling someone a *********.

Old
09-26-2011, 07:18 PM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
The real blame hear goes to Versus for airing it. Seriously, if you are going to mic players up, don't reveal things that could get players in trouble. I am sure their is tons of trash talk during the game, just leave it out.

Old
09-26-2011, 07:19 PM
RedBruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by delled View Post
Imagine a nazi being sick of the support Simmonds got during "Bananagate", sees the thread title and his mouth waters and drools at the possibility of ammunition to use against Simmonds, only to open the thread and think "Aww, so I have to defend homosexuals?"

Old
09-26-2011, 07:22 PM
CloutierForVezina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
You can't possibly be trying to justify calling someone a *********.
I'm not justifying anything, I'm explaining how language evolves.

It might not change during my lifetime but if humanity survives long enough, I have no doubt that the meaning will change. And when that happens, it will again be socially acceptable to call someone that. Because the connotation that someone should be disparaged due to their sexuality will no longer be attached to that word.

Language isn't a constant.

Old
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bert8841 View Post
The real blame hear goes to Versus for airing it. Seriously, if you are going to mic players up, don't reveal things that could get players in trouble. I am sure their is tons of trash talk during the game, just leave it out.
It's probably good that they aired it otherwise no one would have ever known he'd said it.

Old
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

I can't believe people are defending this. Yes, ****** is still a slur against gay people and isn't acceptable. You can chirp guys without resorting to those kinds of words. Coming from someone being recently attacked because of his race, to hear this kind of language is very disappointing.

To the people on here, gay bashing is alive and well and you don't need to look any further than the gay teens who have been killing themselves recently. To say that ****** doesn't even mean "that" anymore is ridiculous and ignorant

Old
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloutierForVezina View Post

This guy doesn't.

There's no way for you to officially declare what a word's most common usage is and there's no scientific formula that declares when a new meaning is the norm but to ignore the change because it is a slow and non-linear process is simply being stubborn. Although there have been attempts to change the "N" word from an offensive, racist connotation to a less offensive term of pseudo-endearment, the most common usage is still as a racist term.

The problem with you trying to force a change in the language yourself is you are usually far too insignificant to actually affect the change you're trying to make. If you could get an entire population to redefine the meaning of the "N" word to a term of endearment, it would be perfectly fine to use it at will. The evil in words is not in the words themselves but in the implications they carry. As Shakespeare once said, "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."
TL;DR

Don't try to get all philosophical regarding this issue, because it doesn't even go that deep. Gay people are offended by the "F" word. Black people are offended by the "N" word. Hispanic people are offended by the "S" word (not "sword"). Mentally or physically disabled people are offended by the "R" word. That's just the way people are.

If you don't understand this dynamic, perhaps you need to broaden your circle of friends.

Old
09-26-2011, 07:23 PM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
This thread can't be searious.
You can't be serious...

Old
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Wow if I had a nickel for every time somebody called me that, I would be able to buy a fancy purse to put all my tissues in!

Instead of fining players, they should just grow thicker skin.

Old
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

Quote:
There is a huge difference between calling someone a ********* and calling someone an a******.
Im sorry, but this made me laugh. Both words are **** out.

Old
09-26-2011, 07:25 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Quote:
There is a huge difference between calling someone a ********* and calling someone an a******.
Really, how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muh View Post
Thats not the point. The initial question was based on it being broadcast to a national audience.
Thats just bad luck on Simmonds part. He shouldn't be fined for it because he got picked up on the mic, if that happens 15 times a game.

Old
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel24 View Post
Im sorry, but this made me laugh. Both words are **** out.
Yeah, I was leaving the first letter of each uncensored and censoring the rest myself. Yet I guess the N word is even censored with only the n showing. Kind of funny.

Old
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bert8841 View Post
I'm pretty sure it wasn't a mic'd up player. Just a nearby ice-level mic.

Old
NugentHopkinsfan

If you're going to fine Simmonds you will have to find a way to hear everything every player says on the ice so you can fine each of them whenever they say something like this. You can't just fine him because it was recorded. Either put mic's on every player and listen to their every word or you can't do anything in a situation like this.

Network is to blame.

Old
09-26-2011, 07:26 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1081
Quote:
Even if a black person calls another black person that, it's pretty offensive. As long as it has the -ger at the end instead of -gga, it's going to piss people off no matter who says it to who.

They're pretty much two different words altogether.

Old
09-26-2011, 07:28 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

He said it Avery
So I hope not.

Old
09-26-2011, 07:28 PM
peacepipe

Quote:
Not to gay people, it hasn't.

Just like even though white people use the "N" word at each other, it's still offensive to black folks.

Using your argument, I could start calling everyone the "N" word because they're being douches --
it's not meant in a malicious way toward black people, it just means a person's being stupid

Doesn't sound as good that way,
does it?
The N word was created specifically to put down black people...the f word has an actual meaning in the dictionary so there is a difference

Old
09-26-2011, 07:29 PM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
If you're going to fine Simmonds you will have to find a way to hear everything every player says on the ice so you can fine each of them whenever they say something like this. You can't just fine him because it was recorded. Either put mic's on every player and listen to their every word or you can't do anything in a situation like this.

Network is to blame.
You don't have to go looking for it. Unfortunately for Simmonds he got caught saying it, and the fact that he was just recently involved in a "hate-related" incident just makes it that much more visible.

At the very least, someone will tell him about it, and he'll issue a public apology. Doubtful a fine will occur, but it is possible.

Closed Thread