HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gunnarsson to NYR?

Old
09-27-2011, 06:54 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Quote:
“We’ve always planned on doing that,” Sather added about looking for defense help. “There’s going to be lots of deals around. I’d just hate to get to the end of training camp and have all your contracts gone, have all your positions filled and some really good player comes along that can help your hockey club.”
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...eam_in_europe/

Johnny Oduya at $3.5M? Last year of contract. $4M salary. Winnipeg frees up real money. Winnipeg has 7 D on 1 way contracts all making over $1M.

Include Christensen in the deal. $925,000 cap # and salary. Waive Avery and assign him to AHL.

Additional $637,500 in cap space.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 06:55 PM
NYRKING30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
If you couldn't detect the sarcasm on there within the context, you're gonna have a hard time on the internet - this message board in particular
i clearly detect your smart *** sarcasm here. you should give me lessons about the internet and this message board then.

NYRKING30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 07:11 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...eam_in_europe/

Johnny Oduya at $3.5M? Last year of contract. $4M salary. Winnipeg frees up real money. Winnipeg has 7 D on 1 way contracts all making over $1M.

Include Christensen in the deal. $925,000 cap # and salary. Waive Avery and assign him to AHL.

Additional $637,500 in cap space.
Don't see how we can make that work unless both Erixon and MZA are in the AHL.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 07:12 PM
Vitto79

I like that they are looking but how exactly is this going to work?

Lets say they have 1.75 cap space if Erixon goes down. They can dump EC but would anyone take Avery in a deal?

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 07:21 PM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hensch View Post
lol, don't doubt that man's trading ability, but a major player from the west, probably a LW no a D, i'm thinking
I shall never give Dubi away. But Sather is like a lawyer when he trades.

TCRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 07:26 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
I shall never give Dubi away. But Sather is like a lawyer when he trades.
There is NO deal out there for Dubinsky that you would EVER consider? Kinda glad you're not the GM.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 07:27 PM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
Gunnarson is worth a 2/3rd rd pick or prospect/3rd at best to the Rangers. Anything more than that why bother.

And Bozak no thanks.
The moral of the story is that leafs fans are using drug paraphernalia

Old
09-27-2011, 07:29 PM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
There is NO deal out there for Dubinsky that you would EVER consider? Kinda glad you're not the GM.
I wouldn't he has potential plus he's a fan fav. Sure he makes some bad decisions sometimes but our core is pretty much Callahan, Dubi, Staal, Girardi and few others. He's a high energy and gritty player. No moving him.

Old
09-27-2011, 07:39 PM
NikC

i can't remember the last time if ever, that sather was gotten the better of, on a trade. that just doesn't happen.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 07:50 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

"The Leafs have interested in Dubinsky"

this statement is true. I doubt it is speculation.

The Rangers however have no interest in trading him. The only players I'd consider trading Dubi for from TMLs would be L.Schenn or Kessel (although his cap number is a bit unwieldy).

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 07:54 PM
chappie
lemon snow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
"The Leafs have interested in Dubinsky"

this statement is true. I doubt it is speculation.

The Rangers however have no interest in trading him. The only players I'd consider trading Dubi for from TMLs would be L.Schenn or Kessel (although his cap number is a bit unwieldy).
Why?

What does Dubinsky do better than Kulemin and what makes him untradable?

We have Callahan, he's a slightly smaller, faster, more aggressive version of Dubinsky + he's smarter with the puck. Dubinsky is unnecessary here, and I have no idea why people look at him as untradable, as if the fanbase would be forever turned on management.

Also, if there was one guy I would not trade him for, it's Kessel. He'd add nothing here, and he's about as physical as a store brand marshmallow.

chappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 08:04 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
i can't remember the last time if ever, that sather was gotten the better of, on a trade. that just doesn't happen.
We lost the Zherdev/Tyutin trade. We lost the Lisin/Korpikoski trade. Granted, he's made more good trades than bad, but his record isn't as snowy white as some claim. Still a couple out there too that could go either way.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 08:06 PM
chappie
lemon snow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
We lost the Zherdev/Tyutin trade. We lost the Lisin/Korpikoski trade. Granted, he's made more good trades than bad, but his record isn't as snowy white as some claim. Still a couple out there too that could go either way.
Zherdev/Tyutin was need based, and honestly, Zherdev lead our team in scoring that year, and Tyutin has declined since his first year there. It's if anything, even.

Lisin/Korpikoski was meh for bleh. They got the better meh, we got bleh, oh well. It opened up the door for a guy like Boyle, who in the end = better than the both of them.

Old
09-27-2011, 08:07 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
I wouldn't he has potential plus he's a fan fav. Sure he makes some bad decisions sometimes but our core is pretty much Callahan, Dubi, Staal, Girardi and few others. He's a high energy and gritty player. No moving him.
Now I'm very glad you're not the GM.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 08:46 PM
Ave Maria
New Season New Dream

Send a message via Skype™ to Ave Maria
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappie View Post
Why?

We have Callahan, he's a slightly smaller, faster, more aggressive version of Dubinsky + he's smarter with the puck. Dubinsky is unnecessary here, and I have no idea why people look at him as untradable, as if the fanbase would be forever turned on management.

Also, if there was one guy I would not trade him for, it's Kessel. He'd add nothing here, and he's about as physical as a store brand marshmallow.
Dubi brings alot to the team including having an abundance of chemistry wity Cally and AA. Obviously no one is untradable as long as something good is coming back. Although i do agree with you on Kessel, he deserves to be on the Leafs. The Leafs are kinda like the Redskins, they try to get the hottest thing, or the most acclaimed player that is available

Last edited by nyr2k2: 09-27-2011 at 09:05 PM. Reason: no insults
Ave Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 09:03 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Why?

No, he's really not. The only thing Cally has on Dubinsky is his leadership and being slightly better defensively. Dubinsky is a better player in every other aspect of the game. Period.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 09:08 PM
chappie
lemon snow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers4tehwin95 View Post
Dubi brings alot to the team including having an abundance of chemistry wity Cally and AA. Obviously no one is untradable as long as something good is coming back. Although i do agree with you on Kessel, he deserves to be on the Leafs. The Leafs are kinda like the Redskins, they try to get the hottest thing, or the most acclaimed player that is available
Dubi is a good player, yes. But, what he does well is the same as what Callahan does well, and what he doesn't do well is this:
  • Carry the puck into the offensive zone - too many times does he take the puck through the middle, move to the far boards and try to come around behind the net, only to lose the puck. Never does he drop a pass back to the trailing man at the top of the slot, and rarely does he bring the puck back to the inside
  • consistently score - he's a great player in October and November, and even into December, but once January comes he hits a wall and he hasn't broken through yet.
  • Read an offensive play - while Dubi has a very good nose for picking up dirty rebounds along the net, he does not read developing plays well and when he has the oppurtunity to make an outlet pass that could be a homerun or maybe just something that opens up the ice. Instead, he tries to force the puck up the ice, dumps it constantly, and is generally impatient.
  • His defensive game is average - while he isn't "bad" defensively, he is inconsistent and will really miss plays coming back, in some ways just like he has troubles reading them on the otherside.

^This isn't to say he's bad. He's not. These are just his flaws. These are the type of things people don't like to look at, or just don't realize when they are assessing him as a player.

One of the biggest potential problems we are going to have this season is the secondary scoring, just like we did when it was Straka - Nylander - Jagr at the top and a bunch of "let's try this line combo" behind them. We saw last year that after the first month and a half, the BAR line had no gas and lost effectiveness, and a lot of that was because they had one truly creative player, and two guys who play a muck and grind game. A guy like Kulemin, who naturally plays the left and has a real goal scorers touch and the ability to get creative, fit's our needs perfectly, and if we can workout a deal that sends he and Gunnarsson here for Dubinsky and maybe MDZ, I am 100% for it. It would be an immediate upgrade and address our needs both offensively and defensively.

Old
09-27-2011, 09:08 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Leafs ain't getting no Dubi unless Kulemin is coming the other way.

I'd like Gunnarsson. 2nd rounder, maybe a mid-level prospect is what I've give. Otherwise, no thanks.
Is that Hakan Loob in your sig?

If so? Awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautyDuster View Post
Leafs fan here is peace.

So far the consensus from Rangers fans is that Gunnarsson is worth a 2nd rounder + 1-2 mid level prospects?

Personally, I would be looking for an above average third liner + a pick or a mid-level prospect with an offensive upside in return. Unfortunately I'm not too familiar with the Rangers 3rd line or prospect pool

My perspective is that Gunnar is a reliable #3/4 defensemen at both ends of the ice with above average (NOT top-notch) puck moving abilities and an offensive upside. You don't notice him, in a good way. The knock on him is that hes not overly physical, but has some size and can handle himself in front of the net. His strength comes from his positional play and decision making.

For an intense stat analysis of why Gunnarsson is solid, read the following: http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/20...than-you-think

He could break out, but most likely will improve at the same steady pace he has been.

As for the Leaf board... it is mayhem there, but don't let it characterize all of us. We have our fair share of short sighted hot heads, but also a sizeable amount of level-headed, self-depreciating, educated, grammar-capable fans who love to have an intelligent debate that excludes name calling and pidgeon-holing.
I think this is a pretty good analysis of Gunnarsson. Isn't great in any facet of the game, but plays a solid overall game, and is a #4 on most teams, but I don't think so on the Rangers with the way Sauer and McDonagh play as a pairing. Gunnarson would most likely find himself playing with Erixon/MDZ/Eminger/Bell, but at that point, I'd rather just see what Erixon and MDZ can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupes View Post
This is completely not true. As I said before in my previous post that he had an underwhelming season last year because he was put in the # 1 C role which he simply isn't capable. I don't see the that much of a difference Bozak and Anisimov like some of u do.

yes, I agree that Anisimov is better than Bozak in every facet of the game besides the physicality but the gap isn't that big as some u may be thinking. I see Bozak as decent 2nd line center who tops out as a 50 point producer with two-way game and solid PKer, Anisimov on the other hand will top out as a 60 point producer with solid two-way game, IMO. The only huge difference between the two is size which is vastly overrated around here.

I think some of u are selling both Bozak and Gunnarsson too short.
Bozak isn't completely useless, he just doesn't fit in here. He'd be a redundant part, and Anisimov is a far better player than you think. He absolutely dominates the play at times when he imposes himself, and he's starting to do it more and more. Anisimov will pan out at a 30-30-60 player that's good at both ends of the ice. I don't know if Bozak will be much better than he already is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupes View Post
2nd/3rd + Hagelin, and u got yourself a deal from this Leafs fan.
3rd + Hagelin for Franson?

Deal.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 09:09 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers4tehwin95 View Post
So you mean they are kinda like us

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 09:12 PM
chappie
lemon snow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
No, he's really not. The only thing Cally has on Dubinsky is his leadership and being slightly better defensively. Dubinsky is a better player in every other aspect of the game. Period.
Like what? They play to within less than 8 points of each other every season, and Cally only has scored a goal less than him in each of the last two seasons, while scoring 7 more goals 3 seasons ago. Callahan also is a much better defensive player, only once being a minus as a pro once and his hockey IQ is much higher.

Please, breakdown a play where Dubinsky does something better than Callahan, it doesn't happen. Dubinsky notches him in physicality, and that's even debatable considering how effectively and how often Callahan throws his body around.

Old
09-27-2011, 09:15 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Quote:
Like what? They play to within less than 8 points of each other every season, and Cally only has scored a goal less than him in each of the last two seasons, while scoring 7 more goals 3 seasons ago. Callahan also is a much better defensive player, only once being a minus as a pro once and his hockey IQ is much higher.

Please, breakdown a play where Dubinsky does something better than Callahan, it doesn't happen. Dubinsky notches him in physicality, and that's even debatable considering how effectively and how often Callahan throws his body around.
Dubinsky is a FAR better playmaker, and their goal scoring ability is similar.

Callahan edges him in defensive play, shot-blocking, and leadership. But his style of play makes him far more prone to injuries.

When it's all said and done, I think Dubinsky has the potential to be the better offensive player of the two.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 09:19 PM
chappie
lemon snow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post

Callahan edges him in defensive play, shot-blocking, and leadership. But his style of play makes him far more prone to injuries.

When it's all said and done, I think Dubinsky has the potential to be the better offensive player of the two.
How is he far better? Where and when has he shown it? If anything, he's shown an inability to make and read plays. It's evident, even in the Flyer's game on Monday. 3 times in that game, he received the puck coming across the neutral zone at the blueline, and all 3 times he made the same move to the outside, and 2 out of those 3 times, a shot on goal never happened. He never make a case to drive to the net, he never saw the opportunities that were there. Likewise, he had two bad NZ turnovers as a result of trying to force unnecessary outlet passes. Dubinsky has bad vision and he does not look at the whole picture. What makes a good playmaker really is being able to not only see what's in front of you, but also what is coming, and he struggles to do so.

Old
09-27-2011, 09:25 PM
TyBOZAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKING30 View Post
lol relax i dont want credit for that. they obviously knew i didnt say it.
I was kidding again....

TyBOZAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:15 PM
gravytrain6t

Forget Bozak. He hasn't proved anything except for the fact that when he's on the ice, the other team usually scores. Burke likes to load his team's with lots of physical players (like he did with the Ducks) and I think he's wanted Dubinsky for quite some time. Coming off of a career season, I'm interested to see who Burke would give up (seriously), knowing Dubinsky is finally starting to reach his peak as an all around versatile forward who should have many terrific season's ahead of him.

Basically, Toronto is getting the type of player (a power forward) who can take some time to develop. He continues to get stronger and his numbers have been increasing year after year. IMO, he deserves to play LW on the top line.

As a Rangers fan I don't necessarily wish to trade Dubinsky but I realize you have to give up something to get something. But Dubinsky for Bozak and Gunnarsson? Certainly not! I'd start with Christensen and Eminger!! Leaf fans don't want them any more than Rangers fans would consider trading Dubinsky for a probable future AHL'er (ah la Jeremy Williams) and an average (at best) defense man.

I understand Burke's heart ache though. I too, would not want Bozak, Armstrong, Versteeg, Kessel (at that price), Lombardi (at that price), Connolly (.....), and Lupul taking up valuable space on the ice and my payroll.

I'd be interested in a quality, reliable, solid defense man because it seems like no one knows how to get rid of Staal's head aches and doc's cannot find what's causing them.
I don't know about MDZ either. He's a young talented kid, however, I'm not sure he'll be able grow and flourish as a player or even a normal member of society while playing for Tortorella.

NTM, I never cared for Eminger. So I'd certainly be interested in making a deal to bolster my team's blue line but in order to do that the Rangers would have to look somewhere else besides Toronto. I truly believe the Rangers could get passed the second round in the playoffs but their defense (in part because they're still young) is still the team's achilles heal.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:28 PM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

vCash: 50
Quote:
Is that Hakan Loob in your sig?

If so? Awesome.
Yes! Big influence on my love of hockey, always been a big fan of his. You're only the 3rd to guess who that is thus far.

Quote:
"FAR" better? I don't know...neither are particularly all-star caliber passers, but Dubinsky gets by on that one because of his excellent puck handling skills and board work. Neither have great vision, but given Dubinsky's much superior puck carrying skills, it makes him seem like he's a better "passer" when he, on the whole, creates that entire space with his boardwork/etc...which Callahan does as well. He's not a very good puck handler, but his anticipation and ability to ALWAYS make the right play opens up a ton of space in both the offensive and defensive zones. He's the finisher, Dubinsky is the playmaker. Dubinsky is definitely a better passer, but I don't think he's "significantly" superior.

Regarding goal scoring, just looking at last year, you had Dubinsky put up 24 goals, 5 of them being empty netters. Callahan put up 23 in 60 games, none of them empty netters. ENs "count" as goals, but they shouldn't be used in determining who is a better goal scorer. A roughly ~.33 GPG average is much better than a ~.20 GPG average. The only year Dubinsky was close to Callahan (in his 3 full years) was 09-10. In 08-09, Callahan put up 22 goals in 81 games, Dubinsky, 14 in 82.

Quote:
I'd say he more than 'edges him' in defensive play. Both are very good in their own zone, but Callahan is probably one of the 'top-10' or 'elite' defensive players in the league, while Dubinsky is more in the 'very good, but not quite elite' category. Callahan is a much, much smarter player than Dubinsky, a trait which leads to the answer of why Dubinsky can't maintain offensive consistency throughout the course of a full season.

By the way, over the last two seasons, Dubinsky has played 77+69 regular season games. Callahan, 79+60. Dubinsky only played 7 more games than Callahan overall; while I don't think saying that he plays somewhat of a self-destructive style, but I would argue that Dubinsky does as well. Callahan sustained both of his injuries last season after blocking a shot (Letang, Chara). Both players who shot the puck have very, very hard slapshots, particularly Chara. ANY player in either situation would have been injured if they were in that position, so I don't see how Callahan, thus far, has proven to be 'injury-prone' based on his somewhat unique style of play.

Quote:
I agree in the sense that he can put up more points, but there are two categories of offensive players -- consistently effective offensive players, and streaky offensive players. Callahan is a mix of both; he's always creating chances, but his finishing skills are inconsistent. Dubinsky CAN be a mix of both, but he sometimes starts to become ineffective in the offensive zone, waiting for the play to come to him instead of iniating when he should.

Last edited by Alvvays: 09-27-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Alvvays is online now   Reply With Quote