HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pens' preseason telecast higher rated than regular season average of all but 2 teams

Old
09-26-2011, 08:43 PM
Jaded-Fan

vCash: 500
Pens' preseason telecast higher rated than regular season average of all but 2 teams

Other interesting tidbits are over 9000 season ticket waiting list. Not bad for a bunch of bandwagoners.

During the town hall meeting, which was invitation-only, team president David Morehouse revealed the team's season ticket waiting list has climbed to 9,000. When he asked how many in attendance were added to the list of active ticket holders this season, only a smattering of applause was heard -- an indication of how little turnover there has been.

Morehouse outlined some of the franchise's accomplishments off the ice, including its ongoing streak of 210 consecutive sellouts -- a run that began at the now-closed Civic Arena, which is due to be demolished beginning Monday. The Penguins played there from 1967-2010.

The Penguins, Morehouse said, were No. 1 in NHL merchandise sales last season and No. 1 in local TV ratings. A preseason telecast against Detroit last week drew a higher rating than the regular season average of all but two other franchises.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=589812

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 08:46 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Yah but more telling was the reaction most of the MN fans (who are good hockey fans) had towards tweedle dumb and tweedle dumber the other day. They were about ready to slit their wrists and I don't blame them. Steigerwald is an attrocity with a microphone.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 08:49 PM
Jaded-Fan

He had a whole laundry list of stats where the Pens were at or near the top of the charts on. I do not recall them all. But off the top of my head, he also mentioned number one in twitter, number one facebook, number one merchandising, voted best new sporting arena, number three franchise as far as fan out reach went, and that is in all major sports, over something like 125 other franchises. Maybe someone who went as well can remember some of the others. He had a long list.

Old
09-26-2011, 08:53 PM
Pitt's Best #87 #66

The younger generation has really embraced this team. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility to say the Pens are more popular with people under thirty than the Steelers.

Pitt's Best #87 #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 09:00 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt's Best #87 #66 View Post
The younger generation has really embraced this team. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility to say the Pens are more popular with people under thirty than the Steelers.
I don't know anyone my age who doesn't watch the Pens. They sincerely enjoy watching whereas with the Steelers, it's more out of tradition.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 09:12 PM
Sypher04

I'd bet those 2 teams are likely Toronto and Montreal.

Sypher04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 09:17 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher04 View Post
I would take that bet.

Most of the time, when referring to these ratings, they are talking about local broadcasts in non-canadian cities.

It does not diminish how eye popping that stat is.

Old
09-26-2011, 09:17 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher04 View Post
I'd bet those teams are Buffalo and Detroit.

Television ratings are handled differently in the U.S. and Canada.

Quote:
I would say so also, at least that it's close. The Steelers probably have a wider fan base, but the Penguins sector is probably more involved. That's going to happen when one team plays a 16 team schedule while the other plays an 82 game schedule. Either way, the fact that it can even be argued that a hockey team is comparable to the Steelers at any demographic is extremely impressive.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 09-26-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 03:39 PM
dannythekid

Wow the waiting list is up to 9000 now? The Pens have a 99% (roughly 300 seats/year) renewal rate on season tix too, it's going to be a long time before those people get tickets.

I thought i was in a bad position at 2964!

dannythekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 03:41 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Psh, hockey's never going to work in Pittsburgh. Americans can't understand the game and it's complex Candian hyper-math.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 03:48 PM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I don't know anyone my age who doesn't watch the Pens. They sincerely enjoy watching whereas with the Steelers, it's more out of tradition.
I've been watching the Steelers since I was five, and I know that's the only reason I watch the Steelers anymore.

The Penguins, on the other hand, I actually like.

And I'm not even from the Student Rush generation.

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 03:53 PM
Iffyiffiffer
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
5+ seasons of watching a talented offense be squandered through bumbling coaching and a horrible offensive line doesn't really make it all that enjoyable to watch.

I love football, but I'd rather watch Crosby and Malkin fly around. On top of that, is that there's just more games. 3 hours a week for one game makes it harder to get into than having 3 or 4 and constantly being involved... but not too many games like baseball.

Iffyiffiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 06:34 PM
SidGenoMario

16 game seasons are just awful. Having to work 10 hours on every Sunday without fail = Maddening.

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:57 PM
BestRussian71*

Impressive to say the least

BestRussian71* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:59 PM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Which makes me wonder why they neglected this game in favor of televising the Pirates getting their ass kicked again. I'm sure the preseason game would have gotten better ratings.

Old
09-27-2011, 11:43 PM
Levizk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
Which makes me wonder why they neglected this game in favor of televising the Pirates getting their ass kicked again. I'm sure the preseason game would have gotten better ratings.
Probably contractual obligations, besides the Pirates will be gone for awhile might as well let them have their last games televised for the 10 fans they have left.

Levizk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 09:54 AM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levizk View Post
Probably contractual obligations, besides the Pirates will be gone for awhile might as well let them have their last games televised for the 10 fans they have left.
I think their last name is tonight, actually.

People might watch this one, for the same reason that you pull up at a crappy rest stop if it's got a sign that says "Next Rest Stop, 68 Miles".

Old
09-28-2011, 10:04 AM
JTG

Which adds to the reason why the Pens organization and Root should show all preseason games. More revenue if that many people are watching.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 10:27 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
I bet it is because the game was in Missouri I don't know much about running a sports broadcast, but I would assume road games have more overhead cost due to travel and setup.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 10:30 AM
JTG

I was always curious if one crew could set up, both cites use the same feed and have their own announcers.

Old
09-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I was always curious if one crew could set up, both cites use the same feed and have their own announcers.
was the game televised anywhere? Maybe there was no full TV crew.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 11:23 AM
Pittsburgh Proud

A few weeks ago I thought about getting on the Season Ticket waiting list. My parents split with my aunt and uncle now. By the time my name came up I bet I could afford them.

Pittsburgh Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 11:40 AM
JTG

If your name ever came up

Old
09-28-2011, 11:42 AM
JalapenoPeppa*

This is awesome haha. Hockey fans know that this Pens team is stacked this year and is the team to beat.

JalapenoPeppa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 12:04 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 1271
Quote:
It's not hard to see why that is though. We have an extremely likeable team stacked with guys whom are just as great off the ice as they are on the ice.

Not to say that the other guys on the other 29 teams aren't likeable as most of them are...don't get me wrong. But there's just been something about our current squads over the last few years that has made them stand out from the rest. It's like, you can relate alot more to their personalities perhaps and they remind us of people may we know???

Last edited by MetalheadPenguinsFan: 09-28-2011 at 12:11 PM.
MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote