HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Jagr Thread Part II: Moves Like Jagr

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2011, 03:47 AM
Rexor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Your Math View Post
Thought it strange when he commented on great chemistry with Giroux he said only had such chemistry with guys like "Lemieux and Nylander and that's it." What about Francis???
Q: You guys seem to have pretty good chemistry right away just playing together two games. Is it kind of surprising to have chemistry that quickly with someone?

"Sure. Sometimes it happens and I'm glad it happened. It's not easy to play with me, trust me. I couldn't find many guys who would get used to me and who I was happy with."

Q: You (inaudible)?

"It was number 66 and number ten (inaudible)."

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...eam-2-devils-1

Old
10-01-2011, 05:14 AM
Czech Your Math

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexor View Post
"It was number 66 and number ten (inaudible)."
Good to know he didn't forget ole Ronnie!

Speaking of forgetting... it seems everyone forgot to congratulate Jagr on winning his tenth Golden Hockey Stick award this summer as best Czech hockey player.

Old
10-01-2011, 02:26 PM
jagrgodr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Your Math View Post
Good to know he didn't forget ole Ronnie!

Speaking of forgetting... it seems everyone forgot to congratulate Jagr on winning his tenth Golden Hockey Stick award this summer as best Czech hockey player.
Cool i didn't see that! Congrats to Jags.. pic from 2005

Old
10-01-2011, 05:09 PM
livewell68

Let's keep this thread rolling. Enough with the Richards and Carter talk.

Old
10-01-2011, 05:10 PM
livewell68

Anyone remember Jagr in 2005-06? He was slow as hell and still put up 123 Pts. His game hasn't been about speed since he left Pittsburgh.

He isn't as slow as some have said he would be though.

Old
10-01-2011, 05:36 PM
InTentsProductions*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
Anyone remember Jagr in 2005-06? He was slow as hell and still put up 123 Pts. His game hasn't been about speed since he left Pittsburgh.

He isn't as slow as some have said he would be though.
i think you've talked about jagr's speed and the 05-06 season more than some 30 percent of this board has posted.

Old
10-01-2011, 06:53 PM
Snipsnap12

Is jagrmeister playing tonight?

Old
10-02-2011, 09:36 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTentsProductions View Post
i think you've talked about jagr's speed and the 05-06 season more than some 30 percent of this board has posted.
All you do is come on here and go on the Jagr thread in the main thread and criticize my posting. If you don't like talking about Jagr or don't like what I'm writing then ignore it.

Not everyone thinks he's old and washed up. Some actually have respect for an all-time great who's making one last run at being an elite player and trying to help his team win the Cup.

The reason why I talk about the 2005-06 season is because this season will be similar. With Shanahan calling all the shots when it comes to officiating and penalties, it seems like we are destined to have a season similar to the first post-lockout season.

Sure speed is important, but Jagr is by no means slow. People say Malkin is fast but looks slow because of his skating and his size, well isn't Jagr the same?

Sure this isn't the Jagr of the Penguins days who would blow by players, but Jagr himself has shown in the past that he can still be an elite player without that blow by speed.

Jagr is actually faster and quicker than he looks because of his size and skating technique. He uses big strides with that deep knee bend. His one stride equals a smaller player's 2 strides.

Jagr though is still a big, strong player who has clearly shown that he still has the hands, the passing, the vision (not only to set up plays but to get open) and his shot is matched by very few.

Those that are picking him to score 65-75 Pts is fair but again I think he will far surpass those numbers. Those are my thoughts.

In his last 3 years in the NHL ( I watched about 90% of his games including preseason) never did he look as good in preseason as he has this so far this year. In 2005-06 he was pretty good in preseason (and yet again everyone was saying "it's only preseason" and that Jagr was going to "struggle once the regular season started and the teams keyed in on him"). We all know how the 2005-06 season turned out.

I'm not predicting he will score 123 Pts but I do think he will be flirting with 95-100 Pts.

People can call me a fanboy, make fun of my so-called obsession, but this a hockey forum where everyone is entitled to post about various topics, I'm doing no different.

If I'm trolling or abusing the rules I wouldn't be allowed to post.

Last edited by livewell68: 10-02-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old
10-02-2011, 01:29 PM
VanSciver

Quote:

Not everyone thinks he's old and washed up. Some actually have respect for an all-time great who's making one last run at being an elite player and trying to help his team win the Cup.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. But who has said that jagr is washed up?

Old
10-02-2011, 03:12 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
In his last 3 years in the NHL (I watched about 90% of his games including preseason) never did he look as good in preseason as he has this so far this year.

Conservative estimate, methinks.

Old
10-02-2011, 03:15 PM
jagrgodr

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong. But who has said that jagr is washed up?
i believe everyone predicting under 50-60 points, that would be washed up for Jagr

Old
10-02-2011, 03:24 PM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Oh god, early july 50 percent of local posts spoke about 39 yr old washed up primadona, and now there is a question "who exactly called Jagr washed up"... I mean.. Seriously?

Old
10-02-2011, 03:29 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

To be fair, I can't remember many people calling him washed up. There were many people saying that he wouldn't be as good as his prime. Thats something entirely different

Old
10-02-2011, 03:47 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I don't think anyone used the words "washed up" in the discussion, but talking about diminished skills and low point totals is essentially the same thing.

Old
10-02-2011, 04:14 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
RT @bryzgoalie30: I thought I have seen everything in hockey, but I was surprised when I saw #Jagr at 12am doing work out at the practice rink. WOW!!!

Old
10-02-2011, 04:21 PM
jagrgodr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
RT @bryzgoalie30: I thought I have seen everything in hockey, but I was surprised when I saw #Jagr at 12am doing work out at the practice rink. WOW!!!
lol awesome.. will be a fun season :-D

Old
10-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I don't think anyone used the words "washed up" in the discussion, but talking about diminished skills and low point totals is essentially the same thing.
There's a massive gulf between "washed up" and diminished but still effective.

Was Gretzky washed up his final season?

Old
10-02-2011, 04:40 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
There's a massive gulf between "washed up" and diminished but still effective.

Was Gretzky washed up his final season?
Gretzky's last season has nothing in common with Jagr's 39-40th birthday season.

Gretzky was a complete shell of his former self due to that bad and chronic back that finally took its toll on him. The last few seasons of Gretzky's career coincided with the "clutch and grab" era. So not only did Gretzky have to play through the back pains but now there was added pain in his back and elsewhere due to players water-skiing on his back. Gretzky was also not known to be a physical specimen who was built like a linebacker.

Jagr is coming back to a league where it seems like Shanahan's influence will make the season seem similar to 2005-06. Jagr is as big as a bull, he has no chronic injuries and he has less wear and tear than Gretzky had in his last season (due to having played in the KHL).

In Gretzky's standards, yes Gretzky was washed up in his last season.

Old
10-02-2011, 04:42 PM
Jester

Quote:
Gretzky's last season has nothing in common with Jagr's 39-40th birthday season.

Gretzky was a complete shell of his former self due to that bad and chronic back that finally took its toll on him. The last few seasons of Gretzky's career coincided with the "clutch and grab" era. So not only did Gretzky have to play through the back pains but now there was added pain in his back and elsewhere due to players water-skiing on his back. Gretzky was also not known to be a physical specimen who was built like a linebacker.

Jagr is coming back to a league where it seems like Shanahan's influence will make the season seem similar to 2005-06. Jagr is as big as a bull, he has no chronic injuries and he has less wear and tear than Gretzky had in his last season (due to having played in the KHL).

In Gretzky's standards, yes Gretzky was washed up in his last season.
My God, stop jerking him off. Wasn't even *ing responding to your droning fanboy blather.

Old
10-02-2011, 04:43 PM
VanSciver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrgodr View Post
i believe everyone predicting under 50-60 points, that would be washed up for Jagr
How many predicted under 50-60 points? Most are saying somewhere around 60 points. That's not washed up

Old
10-02-2011, 04:57 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post
How many predicted under 50-60 points? Most are saying somewhere around 60 points. That's not washed up
For you it's not washed up, for Jagr it is. Jagr played 17 seasons in the NHL and only twice has he scored less than 70 Pts, those 2 seasons were his rookie season playing on the 4th line where he had 57 Pts and then his sophomore season playing on the 3rd line where he had 69 Pts in 70 games (pace of 81 Pts in 82 games).

With Jagr playing mostly on the first like with Giroux and JVR and also playing on the first PP Unity I doubt he scores less than 75 Pts.

Old
10-02-2011, 04:58 PM
livewell68

Quote:
My God, stop jerking him off. Wasn't even *ing responding to your droning fanboy blather.
Do you know how to post without insulting someone? If you don't like my posts, then just ignore them.

I find it funny that Jester and VanSciver always pop up at the same time.

Old
10-02-2011, 05:04 PM
Jester

Quote:
Do you know how to post without insulting someone? If you don't like my posts, then just ignore them.

I find it funny that Jester and VanSciver always pop up at the same time.
Yes. You, however, are an insufferable fanboy that has proven time and time again that you are not interested in discourse about hockey (more specifically discourse about Jagr, since you don't talk about anything but Jagr), but about stroking your own fascination with Jaromir Jagr.

That post you responded to had absolutely nothing to do with a statement about Jagr, and everything to do with the difference between "washed up" (Brett Hull in his final try at it) and simply a diminished super star (Gretzky in his final year). Rather than simply accept that observation... you came back with a multi-paragraph post of erotic Jagr-love drivel because you just cannot *ing help yourself.

No, Gretzky was not washed up in his final season... he remained a very effective player. Did injuries and years manifest to hurt his production? Absolutely... could he still play effectively and produce in the NHL? Absolutely. "Washed up" is not some abstract concept that you can apply selective to players based on a moving scale... you're either "washed up" (meaning you don't belong in the league anymore) or your not. There is no "Gretzky standard," and there is no "Jagr standard" for being washed up.

All of this is a continuation of your delusional fanboy blathering that is completely out of touch with *ing reality. If Jagr goes out and puts up 20-40-60 he is not washed up, and if you think that's washed up you're an idiot. Most players in the NHL would kill to have a season like that... and most teams want players capable of a season like that. He puts up 20-40-60 and remains healthy, someone will offer him a contract next year.

Old
10-02-2011, 05:07 PM
Jester

Quote:
For you it's not washed up, for Jagr it is. Jagr played 17 seasons in the NHL and only twice has he scored less than 70 Pts, those 2 seasons were his rookie season playing on the 4th line where he had 57 Pts and then his sophomore season playing on the 3rd line where he had 69 Pts in 70 games (pace of 81 Pts in 82 games).

With Jagr playing mostly on the first like with Giroux and JVR and also playing on the first PP Unity I doubt he scores less than 75 Pts.
Oh my... the expectations seem to be sliding. I thought it was 100% he'd have 80+ pts?

Old
10-02-2011, 05:12 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Oh my... the expectations seem to be sliding. I thought it was 100% he'd have 80+ pts?
It is 100% that he'll score 80 Pts or more if healthy. I'm just trying to see how someone else can see him score less than 75 Pts with the icetime he's going to be getting.

Selanne scored 80 Pts in 73 games getting only about 17 minutes a game and mostly powerplay time.

Jagr will most likely play about 18-21 minutes a game.

Closed Thread