HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Jagr Thread Part II: Moves Like Jagr

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-11-2011, 11:50 AM
  #926
Mosetter27
Registered User
 
Mosetter27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 927
vCash: 500
ANyone going to the Jagr signing in Turnersville today?

ill be there... my wife will be wearing my capitals jagr jersey..

Mosetter27 is offline  
Old
12-11-2011, 12:02 PM
  #927
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,495
vCash: 156
Hahaha, I wonder how he will react to the Caps jersey

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
12-11-2011, 12:14 PM
  #928
Mosetter27
Registered User
 
Mosetter27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Hahaha, I wonder how he will react to the Caps jersey
lol idc its one of my favorites its a nice jersey with an awesome player on it....

Mosetter27 is offline  
Old
12-11-2011, 03:25 PM
  #929
Holkoun
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Prague
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 502
vCash: 500
You mean his wife?

Holkoun is offline  
Old
12-11-2011, 04:39 PM
  #930
Lesky
Le Magnifique #66
 
Lesky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
Jagr is the best player that ever has left the NHL. I can not believe how he only got poor offers because one bad season with the Rangers.

Without the his time in Russia, Jagr would be set to be 4th in points all time!

Lesky is offline  
Old
12-11-2011, 05:08 PM
  #931
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era
 
Boxscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 1985-94
Posts: 4,462
vCash: 500
What Jagr is doing now is a testament to how great he was (is) and how today's players are way overhyped. I'm sick of hearing how Crosby, Malkin and Ovechkin are among the best all-time while Lidstrom is winning the Norris today at 41 years old and Jagr steps back into the NHL after 3 years in Russia and is scoring at a point a game pace at age 39. Jagr was scoring 150 points in the dead puck era and would be demolishing the NHL right now if he were in his prime. I'd like to see what Malkin would have done in 1994 with Kevin Hatcher or Scott Stevens draped all over him and without a million powerplays a game. Jagr is one of the game's all-time best.....hopefully what he is doing today at age 39 proves that to the doubters who are blinded by today's "stars".

Boxscore is offline  
Old
12-11-2011, 07:18 PM
  #932
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor
 
shipwreck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 1,577
vCash: 500
NHL store FINALLY is selling a black ice jersey for Jagr. I had been hoping they would. Just ordered one

shipwreck is online now  
Old
12-12-2011, 05:34 AM
  #933
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,232
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
What Jagr is doing now is a testament to how great he was (is) and how today's players are way overhyped. I'm sick of hearing how Crosby, Malkin and Ovechkin are among the best all-time while Lidstrom is winning the Norris today at 41 years old and Jagr steps back into the NHL after 3 years in Russia and is scoring at a point a game pace at age 39. Jagr was scoring 150 points in the dead puck era and would be demolishing the NHL right now if he were in his prime. I'd like to see what Malkin would have done in 1994 with Kevin Hatcher or Scott Stevens draped all over him and without a million powerplays a game. Jagr is one of the game's all-time best.....hopefully what he is doing today at age 39 proves that to the doubters who are blinded by today's "stars".
Selanne is still a force too.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline  
Old
12-12-2011, 06:00 AM
  #934
mja
Negative Creep
 
mja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
What Jagr is doing now is a testament to how great he was (is) and how today's players are way overhyped. I'm sick of hearing how Crosby, Malkin and Ovechkin are among the best all-time while Lidstrom is winning the Norris today at 41 years old and Jagr steps back into the NHL after 3 years in Russia and is scoring at a point a game pace at age 39. Jagr was scoring 150 points in the dead puck era and would be demolishing the NHL right now if he were in his prime. I'd like to see what Malkin would have done in 1994 with Kevin Hatcher or Scott Stevens draped all over him and without a million powerplays a game. Jagr is one of the game's all-time best.....hopefully what he is doing today at age 39 proves that to the doubters who are blinded by today's "stars".
People who think that today's players are somehow exponentially better than yesterday's players because of training, etc. simply lack perspective. I love how people think Gretzky wasn't all that special and he just played at a time when defensemen couldn't skate and goalies sucked.

Jagr, Selanne, Lidstrom, etc. should be enough to shut them up, but sadly won't be.

mja is offline  
Old
12-12-2011, 07:35 AM
  #935
Xegiie
Registered User
 
Xegiie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Czech republic
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 1,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
People don't understand the concept of chemistry. What Jagr and Giroux have is quite special.

S
thats what i'm thinking too.
Jagr is really monster himself, but this year we can see something i or anyone else didn't expect IMHO.
Jagr trying to set up Giroux with ocassional one timers.
And again IMHO they are really deadly and maybe best offensive line in NHL at this moment.

But we all could see he was doing really well even without Roo with Couturier.
Not underestimating Roo, hes really a star, but this should shut some ppl up, who claimed Jagr is nobody without Roo.

Xegiie is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 08:54 AM
  #936
Lesky
Le Magnifique #66
 
Lesky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
So whats everyones take on Jagrs season thus far?

He was less than stellar the first 7-8 games while re-adapting to the small rinks and the NHL tempo, but now seem to have settled well.

Jagr has 24 points in 22 games (not counting the Phoenix game were he played 30 seconds prior to being injured and not counting playing 5 shifts prior to being re-injured vs the Islanders) 1.09 PPG = 89 points over a 82 game season.

And that even though Jagr is being wasted on the PP setting up in the slot instead of the right circle as he has during his entire career. If Jagr got to play his right position on the PP I can bet he would have around 30 points.

I can not get over that, why waste Jagr on the PP like that?


Last edited by Lesky: 12-13-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Lesky is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 09:43 AM
  #937
livewell68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesky View Post
So whats everyones take on Jagrs season thus far?

He was less than stellar the first 7-8 games while re-adapting to the small rinks and the NHL tempo, but now seem to have settled well.

Jagr has 24 points in 22 games (not counting the Phoenix game were he played 30 seconds prior to being injured and not counting playing 5 shifts prior to being re-injured vs the Islanders) 1.09 PPG = 89 points over a 82 game season.

And that even though Jagr is being wasted on the PP setting up in the slot instead of the right circle as he has during his entire career. If Jagr got to play his right position on the PP I can bet he would have around 30 points.

I can not get over that, why waste Jagr on the PP like that?
I agree with all that you have said.

Jagr has been stellar despite being wasted on the powerplay. Maybe with Giroux out a few games, they will move Jagr to the right half boards and let him dictate the powerplay. If that works out, maybe Lavi will see this and then with Giroux back, still let Jagr take his "usual" right half boards spot. I mean wasn't the "biggest" reason why Jagr was brought in was to help the powerplay first and foremost and if they got anything out of him on the 5-on-5 then that would have been a bonus? I guess even the Flyers themselves underestimated what Jagr could still bring to the table at age 39 and having spent 3 years in the KHL.


BTW, to add to the stats. It did take him 7 games exactly to get his groove back (the Leafs game where he had 3 Pts including 2 breakaway goals was his 8th game).

So going by the fact it should be 22 games he really played (also considering he only had 4 assists and no goals in his first 7 games), he has 20 Pts in his last 15 (17 for those that want to include the 2 games where he got hurt and barely played).

That's a PPG of 1.33 (109 Pts over an 82 game schedule) if you calculate the 15 games. If you want to calculate the 17 games, that's a PPG of 1.17 (96 Pts over an 82 game schedule). Not too shabby for a player that was supposed to be too old, not fast enough to keep up with the speed of "this New NHL", a player who apparently no longer had the fitness or stamina to compete night in and night out.


Last edited by livewell68: 12-13-2011 at 10:40 AM.
livewell68 is online now  
Old
12-13-2011, 10:16 AM
  #938
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,232
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
If we pretend Jagr scored all of his goals in one game, and then find reasons to discount all his other games, that puts Jagr's PPG @ 20. If he can finish out the season at that pace he would end up having the greatest offensive season in the history of sports. Take that, haters.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 10:59 AM
  #939
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
I agree with all that you have said.

Jagr has been stellar despite being wasted on the powerplay. Maybe with Giroux out a few games, they will move Jagr to the right half boards and let him dictate the powerplay. If that works out, maybe Lavi will see this and then with Giroux back, still let Jagr take his "usual" right half boards spot. I mean wasn't the "biggest" reason why Jagr was brought in was to help the powerplay first and foremost and if they got anything out of him on the 5-on-5 then that would have been a bonus? I guess even the Flyers themselves underestimated what Jagr could still bring to the table at age 39 and having spent 3 years in the KHL.


BTW, to add to the stats. It did take him 7 games exactly to get his groove back (the Leafs game where he had 3 Pts including 2 breakaway goals was his 8th game).

So going by the fact it should be 22 games he really played (also considering he only had 4 assists and no goals in his first 7 games), he has 20 Pts in his last 15 (17 for those that want to include the 2 games where he got hurt and barely played).

That's a PPG of 1.33 (109 Pts over an 82 game schedule) if you calculate the 15 games. If you want to calculate the 17 games, that's a PPG of 1.17 (96 Pts over an 82 game schedule). Not too shabby for a player that was supposed to be too old, not fast enough to keep up with the speed of "this New NHL", a player who apparently no longer had the fitness or stamina to compete night in and night out.
That's great. Who argued that?

You promised me a top 10 scorer in December... why isn't he in the damn top 10!!!!

Jester is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 11:00 AM
  #940
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
If we pretend Jagr scored all of his goals in one game, and then find reasons to discount all his other games, that puts Jagr's PPG @ 20. If he can finish out the season at that pace he would end up having the greatest offensive season in the history of sports. Take that, haters.
Dopita was friggin awesome that one sunny day.

Jester is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 11:02 AM
  #941
livewell68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
That's great. Who argued that?

You promised me a top 10 scorer in December... why isn't he in the damn top 10!!!!
He missed 4 (6 games because in the 2 he only played 9 minutes combined). If you take PPG, Jagr should be in the top 15-10 right now.

His points will come. Can you revisit this come Christmas time? If Jagr is not top 10 in scoring or close to it by then then I will admit I was wrong.

Jagr has been pretty much playing over PPG since his 8th game of the season.

If you do the math, had Jagr played all 28 games, he would have at least 28 Pts and would be in the top 20 in scoring. Also considering that the games where he did play 9 minutes combined really threwh him off his game (he was on a hot streak and playing some of his best hockey of the season before he missed those games and considering he missed in total more than a week in between games), he's now back to playing at the form he was playing at before the injury. He has 7 Pts (4 goals and 3 assists) in the last 5 games since coming back from injury. Coincidentally those 5 games are all wins. That's twice this year in which he had a similar run. Earlier this season when he started by getting 3 Pts against the Leafs, he had 11 Pts in a 7 game point streak. When healthy, Jagr has been playing like he belongs in the top 10 and surely enough, with Giroux now out, those that are still doubting Jagr will see just how good he is and how important he has been all along to the Flyers.


Last edited by livewell68: 12-13-2011 at 11:13 AM.
livewell68 is online now  
Old
12-13-2011, 11:10 AM
  #942
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,702
vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
He missed 4 (6 games because in the 2 he only played 9 minutes combined). If you take PPG, Jagr should be in the top 15-10 right now.

His points will come. Can you revisit this come Christmas time? If Jagr is not top 10 in scoring or close to it by then then I will admit I was wrong.

Jagr has been pretty much playing over PPG since his 8th game of the season.

If you do the math, had Jagr played all 28 games, he would have at least 28 Pts and would be in the top 20 in scoring. Also considering that the games where he did play 9 minutes combined really through him off his game (he was on a hot streak and playing some of his best hockey of the season before he missed those games and considering he missed in total more than a week in between games), he's now back to play at the form he was playing at before the injury. He has 7 Pts (4 goals and 3 assists) in the last 5 games since coming back from injury. Coincidentally those 5 games are all wins.
depends how long Giroux is out

RJ8812 is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 11:15 AM
  #943
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
He missed 4 (6 games because in the 2 he only played 9 minutes combined). If you take PPG, Jagr should be in the top 15-10 right now.

His points will come. Can you revisit this come Christmas time? If Jagr is not top 10 in scoring or close to it by then then I will admit I was wrong.

Jagr has been pretty much playing over PPG since his 8th game of the season.

If you do the math, had Jagr played all 28 games, he would have at least 28 Pts and would be in the top 20 in scoring. Also considering that the games where he did play 9 minutes combined really through him off his game (he was on a hot streak and playing some of his best hockey of the season before he missed those games and considering he missed in total more than a week in between games), he's now back to play at the form he was playing at before the injury. He has 7 Pts (4 goals and 3 assists) in the last 5 games since coming back from injury. Coincidentally those 5 games are all wins. That's twice this year in which he had a similar run. Earlier this season when he started by getting 3 Pts against the Leafs, he had 11 Pts in a 7 game point streak. When healthy, Jagr has been playing like he belongs in the top 10 and surely enough, with Giroux now out, those that are still doubting Jagr will see just how good he is and how important he has been all along to the Flyers.
Wait, you're changing the rules of all your hot air because of some (predictable) injuries to an older player?

Jagr DIDN'T play in all 28 games. No one in their right mind should have expected him to play all 82 games... so, not shocked here. Cherry picking stats is a sure sign that your argument is complete crap. Jagr's played X games, he's missed Y games... his stats are what they are. He's having a very good season.

And despite your best efforts at selective argumentation, and excuse making (cuz that's what this post is... making excuses so you don't have to fess up), he's done what he's done. And that isn't what you said he'd do.

Jester is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 11:18 AM
  #944
livewell68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
depends how long Giroux is out
Don't get me wrong, Giroux has been lights out all year long and has surely helped Jagr but Jagr has helped (when in the lineup) Giroux just as much.

I have a feeling that for any period of time that Giroux will be out will only help Jagr's own game.

It was only 1 period but in the 3rd period of the game against the Lightning, Jagr was flat out dominant and carried the puck and controlled the puck and set Couturier up on 3 amazing chances. He played like the player I remember him being in his first 2 seasons in New York.

I think Jagr was trying very hard to always find Giroux and deferred to him (he wanted to help him get those points and try and win the Art Ross) but with Giroux out, Jagr can focus more on "his own game" which is puck possession.

So maybe Jagr will play even better with Giroux out. Also with Giroux out, they can try and run the 1st PP Unity through Jagr (which is him operating on the right half boards) instead of Giroux.

livewell68 is online now  
Old
12-13-2011, 11:20 AM
  #945
livewell68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Wait, you're changing the rules of all your hot air because of some (predictable) injuries to an older player?

Jagr DIDN'T play in all 28 games. No one in their right mind should have expected him to play all 82 games... so, not shocked here. Cherry picking stats is a sure sign that your argument is complete crap. Jagr's played X games, he's missed Y games... his stats are what they are. He's having a very good season.

And despite your best efforts at selective argumentation, and excuse making (cuz that's what this post is... making excuses so you don't have to fess up), he's done what he's done. And that isn't what you said he'd do.
So the season ends today?

I can't wait to make you look foolish in a few months when Jagr finishes in the top 10 in scoring.

I like to write on here, discuss things but the difference between you and I is that I'm a mild mannered person, you on the other hand choose to use aggressive tones and to insult other fellow Flyers' fans.

livewell68 is online now  
Old
12-13-2011, 11:25 AM
  #946
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
So the season ends today?

I can't wait to make you look foolish in a few months when Jagr finishes in the top 10 in scoring.
No, but you specifically promised me "come December" I would be eating crow when Jagr was top 10 in scoring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
I am really, really interested to see what your arguments are going to be come December and Jagr is top 10 in scoring.
So, my argument hasn't changed, but yours has, as we are in mid-December and he isn't in the top 10... despite having a very good start to the year. So, now we need to wait until Christmas (the end of December), and you're throwing out "So the season ends today?" as if this really speaks to the spasms of Jagr-love you were unable to control heading into the season.

So, do we have to wait until January for top 10 in scoring?

Quote:
I like to write on here, discuss things but the difference between you and I is that I'm a mild mannered person, you on the other hand choose to use aggressive tones and to insult other fellow Flyers' fans.
Oh, buttercup, the difference between you and me is that you're a ridiculous fanboy and I'm not. That's why the visitor messages on your profile are so comical.

Jester is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 11:28 AM
  #947
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,702
vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
So the season ends today?

I can't wait to make you look foolish in a few months when Jagr finishes in the top 10 in scoring.

I like to write on here, discuss things but the difference between you and I is that I'm a mild mannered person, you on the other hand choose to use aggressive tones and to insult other fellow Flyers' fans.
you're a Flyers fan?

RJ8812 is offline  
Old
12-13-2011, 11:28 AM
  #948
livewell68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
No, but you specifically promised me "come December" I would be eating crow when Jagr was top 10 in scoring.



So, my argument hasn't changed, but yours has, as we are in mid-December and he isn't in the top 10... despite having a very good start to the year. So, now we need to wait until Christmas (the end of December), and you're throwing out "So the season ends today?" as if this really speaks to the spasms of Jagr-love you were unable to control heading into the season.

So, do we have to wait until January for top 10 in scoring?



Oh, buttercup, the difference between you and me is that you're a ridiculous fanboy and I'm not. That's why the visitor messages on your profile are so comical.
So what I'm a fan boy, what does that mean to you? I'm a polite, well mannered person and you on the other hand have to revert to what they call online bullying to make yourself feel better.

Be happy that Jagr is on your team and after tonight come talk to me when Jagr is flat out dominant without Giroux in the lineup.

livewell68 is online now  
Old
12-13-2011, 11:31 AM
  #949
livewell68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
you're a Flyers fan?
I have become this year. I admit I started to only like the Flyers because of Jagr joining them but there is a lot to like about the Flyers. They have an abundance of great youth on the team, they have a solid defensive unit and when Giroux is healthy, they have bona fide star and future superstar in the making.

I love the way Talbot plays the game, I love Timmonen's game.

livewell68 is online now  
Old
12-13-2011, 11:35 AM
  #950
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,702
vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
I have become this year. I admit I started to only like the Flyers because of Jagr joining them but there is a lot to like about the Flyers. They have an abundance of great youth on the team, they have a solid defensive unit and when Giroux is healthy, they have bona fide star and future superstar in the making.

I love the way Talbot plays the game, I love Timmonen's game.
so you went from Pittsburgh, to Washington, to The Rangers, to The Flyers?

nice

RJ8812 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.