HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

the star - slams Kessel for lackluster effort

Closed Thread

Old
09-27-2011, 09:41 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

vCash: 500
the star - slams Kessel for lackluster effort

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...to-leaf-season

i dunno. i always thought Kessel's thing is to seem dispassionate/uncaring, but then boom! he scores 2 goals against your team just like that.

i'm not pre-season trolling here. if the admin. sees this article as unworthy to post then delete away.

thanks.

Old
09-27-2011, 09:48 AM
naturalnumbas

Basically DC goes to watch one Leafs practice, writes a conclusive article about player personalities afterwards?

But why bother going to the practice at all if you're just going to pander to popular opinion?

Old
09-27-2011, 09:49 AM
unstuck

sigh.

The star is under a lot of pressure to compete with the Sun and other publications that publish daily Leafs fluff every. single. day. They just don't know what to pull out of their arses anymore.

What I've always said about Kessel is that sometimes a skilled player can appear lazy or "floating" when he's really just being efficient. When I've watched him live he reminds me of Messi in Barcelona whom I've also watched live -- they call him the "flea" because he doesn't move much yet all of a sudden he jumps and is in the right place at the right time. That's efficiency, not laziness.

Honestly, he's our #1 goal-scorer. I think it's time the media treated him with a little more respect

Old
09-27-2011, 09:51 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Kessel is lazy. Nothing new there.

Old
robdicks

Good article by cox, but u can bet it will be treated like "usual cox negativity" even though he praises 4 leafs players in the article while slamming one. Effort has always been questioned when it comes to Kessel since he was 18, and that is th question again. The kid is good enough to score 45. Will he be able to do that this year? I hope so, but i expect 35 because there are times when he is invisible out there.

Old
hdtrax

He actually doesn't come out and "slam" Kessel here. He just says that he has the most natural talent out of any player on our roster, and that if he can score 30 getting out of bed, he could easily get more if he play a style more comparable to Phaneuf. But if he did play that way, maybe he wouldn't be the Phil Kessel we know now. Its more of a comparison rather than a slam. After all he ends the article saying our season depends on him, Dion and Reims.

Old
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Somebody has to be the 1 at guy off the ice

Old
stamkos

Cox is just a troll!

Old
09-27-2011, 09:52 AM
allyb

Send a message via ICQ to allyb Send a message via Yahoo to allyb
Quote:
Originally Posted by unstuck View Post
sigh.

The star is under a lot of pressure to compete with the Sun and other publications that publish daily Leafs fluff every. single. day. They just don't know what to pull out of their arses anymore.

What I've always said about Kessel is that sometimes a skilled player can appear lazy or "floating" when he's really just being efficient. When I've watched him live he reminds me of Messi in Barcelona whom I've also watched live -- they call him the "flea" because he doesn't move much yet all of a sudden he jumps and is in the right place at the right time. That's efficiency, not laziness.

Honestly, he's out #1 goal-scorer. I think it's time the media treated him with a little more respect
Agree about sometimes a skilled player looking lazy it can be a way of making the defence switch off and I thought I read that Kessel had put more effort in this offseason than ever before.

ps. never heard Messi called the flea sort of suits him and if you watch barca you know there is no lazy player there, best team ever possibly

Old
09-27-2011, 09:56 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Sigh. Why do you people get so bent out of shape about what columnists say? The job of a columnist is essentially to be controversial every day, so exaggeration of situations is not unusual.

Old
09-27-2011, 09:56 AM
zeke
#freewilly

So the article says that going into last year, the season hinged on three factors - kessel, phaneuf, and the goalies.

and then goes on to point out that kessel was the only one of the three to come close to living up to expectations.

sounds like something kessel should be praised for, and the article should have spent more time criticizing the goalies and phaneuf...you know, the ones that didn't live up to expectations.

Old
09-27-2011, 10:00 AM
mooseOAK*

For some reason even though Kessel skates hard in games he is constantly being criticized for his work ethic and dedication to fitness off of it. "His face is fat!"

Old
09-27-2011, 10:01 AM
tony135420

As much as I hate to say it, I agree with Cox. Kessel has the potential to score 50. If he were able to play a full season the way he played the last 20-30 games, he'd tear it up. Hope he does this year.

At the end of the day, if Kessel puts up 30-40 goals, I don't mind if he lollygag's a preseason practice every once in a while.

Old
09-27-2011, 10:02 AM
Ari91

The media will continue to unfairly criticize Kessel at times as long as the Leafs aren't winning. It seems people forget that Kessel did not trade himself to the team and if people really want to see his talents shine in this city, then perhaps they should remove the anchors they've placed on his shoulders because he's not responsible for the trade. Some media and fans behave like abusive parents that think that the only way to get the best out of their children is to mercilessly berate them and make them feel unworthy in order to motivate them.

Old
09-27-2011, 10:07 AM
daveleaf

So he wasn't flying around the ice at 6 million miles and hour during a preseason game and that is a bad thing? Vets deserve a little bit of slack, especially being the highest goal scorer on the team for the last two years. I don't know about Cox and Simmons.

Old
09-27-2011, 10:07 AM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

Quote:
sigh.

Honestly, he's our #1 goal-scorer. I think it's time the media treated him with a little more respect
Don't get the analogy, as Messi is thought of as maybe the best football player in history....but yeah, i catch your gist.

Old
09-27-2011, 10:08 AM
robdicks

Quote:
sigh.

Respect from the media just because he is our number 1 scorer? I dont want cheerleaders in the media. Although i will admit cox is usally TOO negative, this article is right on. I dont usually watch soccer, so i dont really know much about messi's work ethic, but ur comparing apples to oranges. In soccer it is important to conserve energy as a forward because you play the whole game. Most skill players look like they are working hard (when they are working hard). Ovechkin, ryan, getzlaf, staal, crosby, nash, lidstrom etc. Are always noticable on the ice because they are making things happen with effort. Kessel frequently takes entire games off so it is unsurprising that he has a lackluster effort in practice.

Old
09-27-2011, 10:12 AM
naturalnumbas

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
The media will continue to unfairly criticize Kessel at times as long as the Leafs aren't winning. It seems people forget that Kessel did not trade himself to the team and if people really want to see his talents shine in this city, then perhaps they should remove the anchors they've placed on his shoulders because he's not responsible for the trade. Some media and fans behave like abusive parents that think that the only way to get the best out of their children is to mercilessly berate them and make them feel unworthy in order to motivate them.
Yeah pretty much. Say what you want about the trade but Kessel has been good for 30 goals a season without much line support since he's arrived, he's young, and pretty much he's been as advertised.

How is it fair to assume he's capable of scoring 40 goals if he only tried harder? 40 goals is a lot, I'm sure it would translate into a contract upgrade if he could do it.

It's like saying Phaneuf could hit the freaking net on a power play if he only tried harder...

Old
09-27-2011, 10:17 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Am I reading this right that Reimer was 235 lbs??! Seems pretty excessive for a goalie... how the heck did he get that big? That's like double the size of Ryan Miller.

09-27-2011, 10:23 AM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
Am I reading this right that Reimer was 235 lbs??! Seems pretty excessive for a goalie... how the heck did he get that big? That's like double the size of Ryan Miller.
Apparently he has been trying to get stronger. He looks good with it though and I have to say, he won't budge much when he is bumped in there.

Old
09-27-2011, 10:26 AM
SteveV*

Cox isn't out of line with his Kessel observations, and he's looked lazy as all get up in the preseason as well. Two times last game he had a man in his own end, just looked to a teammate and let him take the coverage (and no it wasn't a defensive scheme).

Late last year, after the Wilson/Kessel "blow up", I thought Kessel played the best hockey of his career, he actually won some battles in the corners, seemed more intense. So far I haven't seen that guy, but it's still preseason...

Old
09-27-2011, 10:31 AM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
Reimer said in an interview that he lost 20 lbs, not gained. Can't link it, find it for yourself.

Old
09-27-2011, 10:34 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

I do remember seeing an interview with reimer last season without his pads where he had a bit of a gut. It definitely looks like he's lost weight.

Old
09-27-2011, 10:38 AM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsfan80 View Post
Reimer said in an interview that he lost 20 lbs, not gained. Can't link it, find it for yourself.
http://www.ottawasun.com/2011/09/15/...-in-off-season

Old
09-27-2011, 10:44 AM
Loosie

Cox just isn't capable of saything anything positive about the Leafs.

Edit (hmm...maybe I should actually read the article)....Did hell freeze over?

Last edited by Loosie: 09-27-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Closed Thread