HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

the star - slams Kessel for lackluster effort

Closed Thread

Old
09-27-2011, 10:45 AM
RogerRoeper*

vCash: 500
That's not that bad. Brophy's article on Leaf lines on Sportsnet-That's a slam on Kessel. All he does is talk about how worthless he is. Just a cheap shot no valid point

Old
09-27-2011, 10:49 AM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Maybe it's me, but how exactly is this slamming Kessel

Quote:
It was interesting that a few minutes after Phaneuf lightly scolded Reimer, the kind of reminder of the importance of details a captain is supposed to provide, Kessel cruised half-speed through a skating drill. While others dug in to a high-paced, stop-and-start routine between the bluelines — nobody practises harder than Nik Kulemin, by the way — Kessel exerted himself just enough to make sure he wasn’t obviously slacking off. Later, he was first off the ice.

While Phaneuf is all about eye-bulging intensity, sometimes misplaced, Kessel is the opposite, the champion of letting God-given talent do the heavy lifting. One doubts there’s much that Phaneuf or Wilson or anybody could say to put a fire under Kessel, a fire he’ll light himself twice every five games or so. The fact he can score 30 goals falling out of bed makes that fact he could probably pop 50 if he cared to ring every ounce of possibility out of his ability that much more maddening.

Maybe he’ll put the pedal to the metal this season. It could happen. If he does, he could carry this club to the post-season.
have you ever played with a guy like the Thrill, never seems to care and then boom he's suddenly got two and hasn't broken a sweat. With Cox ending his observatory note with the bolded piece, I'd say he's more saying that the key to the season may be Kessel really finding his purpose in Toronto. We all know when Phil is really revved up it always puts the Leafs in a better game position, hardly slamming the player at all.

Old
09-27-2011, 10:51 AM
draeko17

I haven"t been able to watch any preseason games so I have been following them on line< including here. I'm pretty sure the comments about Kessel in his second game in particular where quite glowing, very positive, even including some remarks about him getting involved in fighting for the puck. But certainly most seem to feel he had a very good game, Never got the impression his play was lackluster until now.....

Old
09-27-2011, 10:55 AM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

Slow news day. It's just training camp.

Old
09-27-2011, 10:56 AM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by unstuck View Post
sigh.

The star is under a lot of pressure to compete with the Sun and other publications that publish daily Leafs fluff every. single. day. They just don't know what to pull out of their arses anymore.

What I've always said about Kessel is that sometimes a skilled player can appear lazy or "floating" when he's really just being efficient. When I've watched him live he reminds me of Messi in Barcelona whom I've also watched live -- they call him the "flea" because he doesn't move much yet all of a sudden he jumps and is in the right place at the right time. That's efficiency, not laziness.

Honestly, he's our #1 goal-scorer. I think it's time the media treated him with a little more respect
Understand your point, but Messi is the wrong example. His workrate matches his skill level, thats why he is the best in the world at the moment.

Old
09-27-2011, 10:56 AM
lampshade*

Quote:
sigh.

The star is under a lot of pressure to compete with the Sun and other publications that publish daily Leafs fluff every. single. day. They just don't know what to pull out of their arses anymore.

What I've always said about Kessel is that sometimes a skilled player can appear lazy or "floating" when he's really just being efficient. When I've watched him live he reminds me of Messi in Barcelona whom I've also watched live -- they call him the "flea" because he doesn't move much yet all of a sudden he jumps and is in the right place at the right time. That's efficiency, not laziness.

Honestly, he's our #1 goal-scorer. I think it's time the media treated him with a little more respect
The flea refrence is directed more towards Messi's size rather than his ability "to jump into the right place at the right time". Messi steps up in every situation. Messi throws Barca on his back and gets the job done. Messi has led Barca to every club championship there is. Kessel has done none of this, and does not have the ability to. Comparing Kessel to Messi in any aspect is asinine.

Old
09-27-2011, 11:02 AM
Simcoe23

Cox = plug. Ran into this guy in the Foster Hewitt gondola at a Leaf game- he is so full of himself and I have no clue why.

Old
09-27-2011, 11:05 AM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
Still pre-season and the Kessel attacks have begun. Lot of guys who know they have spots locked up are going to be going at less than 100% at this point. Maybe the Star is just trying to drop itself down to the level of the Sun so no one needs to read either paper.

Old
09-27-2011, 11:07 AM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Kessel isn't a work horse. That's no surprise.

His job is to play hockey, so he doesn't seem to want to be the best at it, he wants to do his job, get his money and go.

If I was naturally amazing at curling, and could not try and make a load of money in curling, I'd probably do it.

Old
09-27-2011, 11:08 AM
Grabowaffle84

When he has a scoring chance he flys but when he has to backcheck, he all of a sudden acts like his feet are being weighed down by cement blocks. Im going to have to agree with Cox on this one although this is old news.

Old
09-27-2011, 11:08 AM
Ari91

For whatever appearances are worth, I'm not going to argue that there are certainly times when Kessel seems like he's not fully committed on the ice to do all of the little things right in order to help theteam. Giving up defensively in favour of always running offense isn't necessarily a good thing and if numbers mean anything, his plus/minus rating is good indication.

While his overall criticism of Kessel's play in the past is a fair opinion to have (based on personal observation), his opinons were prefaced with an antedote of a lazy Kessel during team practice and that creates certain insinuations. It's an unnecessary dig at Kessel. He could have easily committed to talking about what the expectations of Kessel are in order for the team to win without trying to use 'saw it with my own eyes' stories from a practice scrimmage. Controversial or not, I just don't think the guy is a good journalist. If you want to blow the door off with controversy, then put the pedal to the metal and if not, then take care with the way you write. It's rather annoying seeing people who can make a living with such little talent relative to the field they work in.

Old
09-27-2011, 11:13 AM
Hockey Talker29

I think this is actually a pretty damn good article.

Cox doesn't really bring any "new" evidence to the table. But I agree with his points for the most part. He rags on Kessel for not exerting enough effort in practice. This is definitely something he needs to improve if he is ever going to reach his full potential.

He praises all of Phaneuf, Kulemin, and Reimer for their work ethic in practice, and in the offseason.

He even praises Kessel for being immensely talented, which is true.

I rarely give anyone in the Toronto media credit, but this was well done.

On another note, who else just loves how humble Reimer is?

I really hope this kid becomes a superstar. He seems like such a genuinely great person.

Old
09-27-2011, 11:16 AM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
So he wasn't flying around the ice at 6 million miles and hour during a preseason game and that is a bad thing? Vets deserve a little bit of slack, especially being the highest goal scorer on the team for the last two years. I don't know about Cox and Simmons.
kessel is getting paid like a top flight young player .....will he get a 25 million dollar contract coming of 30 goal seasons ? fair article he brings nothing else to this team but offense .....in any other sport u get paid for being a pererenial all star .he got paid ahead of his time im thinkin...that being said when hes in a slump during the season we can re address this article to see what extra work kessel is putting in .not till then

Old
09-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

What the hell...I thought kessel was chirping all the team in the pre-season.

Old
09-27-2011, 11:18 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
Sigh. Why do you people get so bent out of shape about what columnists say? The job of a columnist is essentially to be controversial every day, so exaggeration of situations is not unusual.
Am I the only one that has never bought into this notion? Maybe it's just that I'm older? It seems like a fabrication of the past 10 or 15 years, along with the whole "shock jock" era.

Old
09-27-2011, 11:27 AM
PresidentCamacho*

Sounds like the groundwork is being laid out for a "Damien Cox Must Be Fired" thread/campaign.

This article doesn't surprise me in the least.

Old
09-27-2011, 11:30 AM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Still pre-season and the Kessel attacks have begun. Lot of guys who know they have spots locked up are going to be going at less than 100% at this point. Maybe the Star is just trying to drop itself down to the level of the Sun so no one needs to read either paper.
THere are different types of players...Kessel is never going to be similar in style to a Mike Richards or a Corey Perry. He's an offenisve minded player, first and foremost who's job is to score goals and create offence. With that being said, definitely think there is room to improve his play without the puck and overall effort in back checking and making life more difficult for opposition.

Just my opinion, but as good as kessel is, he is not the type of guy I would build my team around but more the type of player I look to add once I have all the core pieces in place and you are looking at taking a serious run at the cup.

Old
09-27-2011, 11:32 AM
Darylman

Kessel doesn't work hard in practice. I'm shocked.

Old
09-27-2011, 11:40 AM
GermanLeaf

Quote:

So much wrong with this post

Old
09-27-2011, 11:41 AM
unstuck

When I compare Kessel to Messi I meant in the sense that they are both efficient -- not in their accomplishments or skill levels in their sports. If you watch Barca live or on a tactical cam you might be surprised how little Messi runs when he's off the ball (he's always deep). Of course Kessel doesn't have the amazing finish that Messi does; Messi is a legend (they're the same age, btw)

And if you think Kessel's been lazy this pre-season, look at the Sedins: neither has a single point yet

Old
09-27-2011, 11:47 AM
PresidentCamacho*

Quote:
When I compare Kessel to Messi I meant in the sense that they are both efficient -- not in their accomplishments or skill levels in their sports. If you watch Barca live or on a tactical cam you might be surprised how little Messi runs when he's off the ball (he's always deep). Of course Kessel doesn't have the amazing finish that Messi does; Messi is a legend (they're the same age, btw)

And if you think Kessel's been lazy this pre-season, look at the Sedins: neither has a single point yet
Messi plays deep because he is what's known as a striker, not because he's "lazy" as you are insinuating.

Old
09-27-2011, 11:52 AM
unstuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentCamacho View Post
Messi plays deep because he is what's known as a striker, not because he's "lazy" as you are insinuating.
um if you had read my earlier post I am "insinuating" the opposite. I am saying that Messi, like Kessel, being deep-lying forwards, tend to move around less and while some perceive it as "lazy" I am saying they are efficient.

Old
09-27-2011, 11:57 AM
PresidentCamacho*

Quote:
um if you had read my earlier post I am "insinuating" the opposite. I am saying that Messi, like Kessel, being deep-lying forwards, tend to move around less and while some perceive it as "lazy" I am saying they are efficient.
Hockey is a categorically different sport than soccer.

Wingers in hockey are very much expected to make a defensive commitment in the defending end, and on the backcheck.

Strikers and wingers in football are pinned to the halfway line when the opponent is attacking, always.

Old
09-27-2011, 12:04 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

The only explanation is that Damien Cox is making things up.

Old
09-27-2011, 12:11 PM
Suntouchable13

I give the benefit of the doubt to Burke. He wouldn't acquire a lazy player. That is why I think that Kessel is not lazy at all. Some players are so graceful that you don't see how hard they are working. Just because he is not physical does not mean that he is lazy.

Closed Thread