HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

the star - slams Kessel for lackluster effort

Closed Thread

Old
09-27-2011, 03:44 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

vCash: 500
Heh, I don't think it's a bad article at all really. It's not like Cox goes on and on about Kessel.

I do think that it's a bit strange to pick one particular practice to write about, especially since Kessel has actually looked really good, and competed hard in the pre-season games he has been in so far.

I don't think it's much of a secret that Kessel lacks intensity. I believe it's the main thing that is holding him back from becoming one of the better (nowhere near the best, though) players in the league. If he produces at a good clip though, I can't exactly complain. I'm going to wait until I actually see 2011-12 Kessel before I make any conclusions.

Old
09-27-2011, 03:50 PM
Dreakmur

As I've said before, a hockey player can actually control two things when he steps on the ice - his effort level and his attitude. Those are two choices Kessel has to make, and he chooses to be lazy and he chooses to have a bad attitude. How can anyone accept that?

It's got nothing to do with comparing him to other players. Compare what Kessel accomplishes vs. what he could accomplish if he applied himself. 30 goals might be good for some players, but Kessel can do that without even trying - and he has done it without trying - so why is that good? He should be scoring at least 40, and he should be back-checking, and he should be leading with his effort and attidude. Instead he does the opposite - he drags everybody down with his lazyness and whining. That's why he pisses me off....

Old
09-27-2011, 04:00 PM
unstuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBurns View Post
I think it has to be Tyler Bozak's fault.
Is there a way we can blame Giguere for this??

Old
09-27-2011, 04:01 PM
BluePassenger94

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentCamacho View Post
Messi plays deep because he is what's known as a striker, not because he's "lazy" as you are insinuating.
Rooney is a striker....

Old
09-27-2011, 05:06 PM
rstml

Quote:
Originally Posted by unstuck View Post
Is there a way we can blame Giguere for this??
FIrE WILSoN!1!!!1!!!!

Old
09-27-2011, 05:21 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstml View Post
FIrE WILSoN!1!!!1!!!!
Easy there big guy , we know it's never the head coachs fault . The blame always lies with his assistants .

Old
09-27-2011, 06:11 PM
Baba Ganoush

meh, Kessel is the North American version of Alexander Semin. when he isn't scoring, prepare to be frustrated watching him.

Old
09-27-2011, 08:01 PM
Toasterman

Sundin (Swedish) went thru this and now it's Kessel's (American) turn.

However, people sure did love Tie Domi! (Canadian) How many 30 goal seasons in a row did he have?

Old
09-27-2011, 08:23 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

I blame it on Sergei Berezin

Old
09-27-2011, 08:25 PM
Larcos_Unal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Probably wanted to hit the weight room before it got crowded.

you mean the snack table no?

Old
09-28-2011, 12:20 AM
Darcy Tucker

Old
09-28-2011, 12:30 AM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
As I've said before, a hockey player can actually control two things when he steps on the ice - his effort level and his attitude. Those are two choices Kessel has to make, and he chooses to be lazy and he chooses to have a bad attitude. How can anyone accept that?

It's got nothing to do with comparing him to other players. Compare what Kessel accomplishes vs. what he could accomplish if he applied himself. 30 goals might be good for some players, but Kessel can do that without even trying - and he has done it without trying - so why is that good? He should be scoring at least 40, and he should be back-checking, and he should be leading with his effort and attidude. Instead he does the opposite - he drags everybody down with his lazyness and whining. That's why he pisses me off....
Fair enough if you think he looks lazy on the ice but where are you coming to the conclusion that he has a bad attitude? Not everyone are extroverted individuals that can become a comedian when the cameras and lights are on them so what you perceive as laziness does not necessarily mean he has a bad attitude. And when does he whine? Kessel took full accountability for his performance last season and said he could do better. Usually people with attitude problems would find ways to blame others. He also happens to have pretty good relationships with a number of teammates off of the ice. It's one thing to form opinions on the subjective things we see happen on the ice, but it's unnecessary to use that as a means to make assumptions with little evidence. If there's any evidence of Phil having a bad attitude, then I haven't seen it.

Old
09-28-2011, 12:58 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

I'd imagine a groin injury might be a reason to leave the ice early.

Old
09-28-2011, 01:04 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
I'd imagine a groin injury might be a reason to leave the ice early.
i think he's been pretty good this pre-season so really this article ist dumb as freaking hell to me lol.

anyways aside from that, i hope he gets rest and the team is careful with this injury, groin injuries can be tricky, and hopefully it doesn't hurt him in his jump on the ice.

Old
09-28-2011, 03:55 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
Fair enough if you think he looks lazy on the ice but where are you coming to the conclusion that he has a bad attitude? Not everyone are extroverted individuals that can become a comedian when the cameras and lights are on them so what you perceive as laziness does not necessarily mean he has a bad attitude. And when does he whine? Kessel took full accountability for his performance last season and said he could do better. Usually people with attitude problems would find ways to blame others. He also happens to have pretty good relationships with a number of teammates off of the ice. It's one thing to form opinions on the subjective things we see happen on the ice, but it's unnecessary to use that as a means to make assumptions with little evidence. If there's any evidence of Phil having a bad attitude, then I haven't seen it.
While I by no means have all the answers, I have been coaching for a long time, and I have learned a lot over the years. Laziness, bad attitudes, and selfishness is one of the most common problems I have to deal with. Over the years, I have become better at spotting the symptoms, and I have also learned different ways to break the bad habits.

First of all, if you agree that he is lazy then you pretty much have to agree he has a bad attitude - they go hand in hand. Laziness is a form of selfishness, and selfishness is part of a bad attitude.

Other than that connection, I have formed my beleif that Kessel has a bad attitude by watching him play. You can tell a lot about a player's attitude by watching how he responds to different situations during a game. It's easy to play when everything is rolling, and things are great. It's not so easy when luck seems to be against you.... and this is when character almost always reveals itself. Phil Kessel usually just gives up and feels sorry for himself.

Old
09-28-2011, 05:42 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasterman View Post
Sundin (Swedish) went thru this and now it's Kessel's (American) turn.

However, people sure did love Tie Domi! (Canadian) How many 30 goal seasons in a row did he have?
Selective memory. There were plenty of detractors of Tie Domi. Here's guessing you were one of those fans.

Old
09-28-2011, 07:48 AM
FrozenJagrt

People make so much fuss about Kessel's slump last season, suggesting he's lazy and doesn't care. Show them videos of PK81 on the bench after those shifts and they'll know how "little" he cares. Kessel wasn't inconsistent, he was snake bitten

Old
09-28-2011, 07:59 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
While I by no means have all the answers, I have been coaching for a long time, and I have learned a lot over the years. Laziness, bad attitudes, and selfishness is one of the most common problems I have to deal with. Over the years, I have become better at spotting the symptoms, and I have also learned different ways to break the bad habits.

First of all, if you agree that he is lazy then you pretty much have to agree he has a bad attitude - they go hand in hand. Laziness is a form of selfishness, and selfishness is part of a bad attitude.

Other than that connection, I have formed my beleif that Kessel has a bad attitude by watching him play. You can tell a lot about a player's attitude by watching how he responds to different situations during a game. It's easy to play when everything is rolling, and things are great. It's not so easy when luck seems to be against you.... and this is when character almost always reveals itself. Phil Kessel usually just gives up and feels sorry for himself.
Pretty funny post to read after watching Kessel put in a very good effort in a game that doesn't mean anything nor even count towards his stats.

Old
09-28-2011, 08:41 AM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
Am I the only one that has never bought into this notion? Maybe it's just that I'm older? It seems like a fabrication of the past 10 or 15 years, along with the whole "shock jock" era.
unfortunately I'm an older guy too. I remember the days when Beddoes/Hunt and Gross actually reported instead of merely opininated.

The quality and mostly the nature of reportage has truly changed over the last 45 or so years. Cox does sometimes report but he is paid for opinion first and foremost, this however at least imo was an observational piece inviting the reader to interpret or perhaps mis-interpret as is the case here in many instances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Tucker View Post
practice? we talking about practice? we not talking about the game, we talking about practice?
+1

My own observation

I cannot for the life of me believe that no one went bug-spit out of their minds and brought up (dun-dun-dun duhhhn) the trade, although the psycho-analysis almost made up for it. TFTW

Old
09-28-2011, 08:52 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentCamacho View Post
Messi plays deep because he is what's known as a striker, not because he's "lazy" as you are insinuating.
Strikers are lazy. They're self centered and showboats.

Midfielders are the thing.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
09-28-2011, 08:56 AM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Mikhail Grabovski left Tuesday's game briefly in the third period after a collision with Chris Neil. As per NHL rules, Grabovski visited with doctors, underwent the standard concussion tests and was deemed okay to return. He said it was "nothing serious". Ron Wilson also revealed post-game that Phil Kessel is battling a minor groin injury. Kessel wasn't supposed to make the trip to Ottawa, but was forced into duty with others also fighting minor aches and pains. - TSN
Good work Cox.

Old
09-28-2011, 08:57 AM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

kessel is always balls to the wall in games.

Old
09-28-2011, 08:59 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:

You miss a thought here though. Maybe it is your years of coaching has lead you to only see it one way.

Perfectionists get disappointed when they are not perfect. When that shot didn't go where he wanted or he doesn't score he gets down on himself. Myself I see Kessel blaming himself when things don't go right. I don't see quit I see someone beating himself mentally, and that takes him out of the moment into the doubt.

Old
09-28-2011, 09:02 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Strikers are lazy. They're self centered and showboats.
When I hear cracks about soccer strikers being lazy, I always picture pot-bellied Giorgio Chinaglia of the New York Cosmos from the 1970's.

Old
09-28-2011, 09:12 AM
Autologic
@Dropinlogic

delete

Last edited by Autologic: 09-28-2011 at 09:13 AM. Reason: someone already mentioned this
Closed Thread