HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

2011-2012 NHL suspensions tracker

Old
10-09-2011, 10:47 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Wouldn't surprise me to hear agent Walsh deciding to file formal #NHL appeal to Bettman on behalf of his suspended #Wild player Bouchard.
http://twitter.com/#!/RealKyper/stat...38158228918273
Quote:
Not that #NHL appeal ever stands a chance of being reversed by Bettman, but I just have a feeling this story might be far from over.
http://twitter.com/#!/RealKyper/stat...38843745972224

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 11:30 PM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe Pick View Post
You are conveniently overlooking that two handed swing part.
Players hit each other with sticks all the time. It is clear as ****ing day that calvert lifted his stick into his own face. The infraction should have simply been a 4 minute highsticking. Calvert was as much responsible for not controlling his stick as butch was his.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 11:31 PM
Fel 96
JFC

The Arniel whining probably helped the cause.

Oh well, time to move on I guess.

Last edited by Fel 96: 10-09-2011 at 11:49 PM.
Old
10-09-2011, 11:41 PM
Ken Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashanesh View Post
How can Butch be responsible for his stick when ANOTHER PLAYER HAS LIFTED IT?
Because Bouchard didn't have to swing it at Calvert in the first place. I've only seen it from the 1 angle in Shannie's video, but a lot of you are making it seem like Calvert grabbed Bouchard's stick and whacked himself with it. From what I've seen, it looked like Bouchard wanted to whack Calvert somewhere, and Calvert unintentionally lifted Bouchard's stick to his face in the process. The fact that Bouchard intended to hurt Calvert and did a lot more damage than he had intended is enough to warrant a suspension.

Quote:
There's probably 1-2 stick lifts that end up as high sticking penalties every night...now it's a suspension?
How many of those high sticks are intended to take out a couple of teeth and maybe an eye? I wouldn't mind 10-20 game suspensions for those, but many of the high sticking penalties I've seen are accidental

Ken Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 12:01 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

If you haven't seen the frame-by-frame, take a look:

It's pretty obvious that Calvert is intentionally redirecting the stick of Bouchard. Maybe not intentionally aiming it at his face, but he is making a conscious effort to deflect it.

The thing that seems horribly inconsistent here is that even the head shot and boarding rules include a provision for if the victim puts himself into a vulnerable position immediately before contact is made, after the hitter can no longer do anything to stop himself. Bouchard should have taken a roughing/slashing/whatever penalty, sure––just like someone who hits an opponent without the puck who turns into the boards at the last second should get an interference penalty, but not a suspension for checking from behind.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 12:15 AM
Draft Guru

vCash: 920
Wow that is ridiculous if the suspension is upheld. That's not worthy of a one game ban, let alone 2.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 12:38 AM
Shanny
Let's Win It All

un-freaking-believable. If that's a suspension....I really am starting to fear where this league and game are going.

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 12:44 AM
Fel 96
JFC

Yes it is.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=595251

Old
10-10-2011, 01:40 AM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Is anyone else a little tired of the Shanny circus? It's nice to get explanations but I thought the quotes in the NHL.com articles sufficed. Does this guy really have the duty to make a video explaning every decision he makes?

He just seems to be justifying some pretty over the top suspensions using ad populum appeals. I don't like it one bit, it makes justice less and less just and more and more accountable to the fans

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 01:57 AM
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ

So much righteous indignation!

Thanks for the laughs guys

So, with two hands on his stick and his shoulders square to Calvert... Calvert was able to shove Bouchard's stick into his own face with enough force to knock out three teeth. (Without enough help, physically, from PMB to warrant this suspension)

Got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughtybetterbemoney View Post
Is anyone else a little tired of the Shanny circus? It's nice to get explanations but I thought the quotes in the NHL.com articles sufficed. Does this guy really have the duty to make a video explaning every decision he makes?

He just seems to be justifying some pretty over the top suspensions using ad populum appeals. I don't like it one bit, it makes justice less and less just and more and more accountable to the fans
Its just overcompensating for the previous regime's opaque, secret, Knights Templar-y way of handing out suspensions (or not)

Last edited by joshjoshjosh: 10-10-2011 at 02:02 AM.
joshjoshjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 03:21 AM
oilWILDcountry

I thought players whacked each other every game. You could see the two battling before the puck was dropped and some moves back and forth. PMB probably was giving Calvert some tapping then Calvert (perhaps accidentally) lifts the stick into his own face lol.

Players give whacks every single ****ing game. How this warranted a suspension I'll never know. Plus PMB is the last player to intentionally injure someone...

oilWILDcountry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 03:25 AM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjoshjosh View Post
So much righteous indignation!

Thanks for the laughs guys

So, with two hands on his stick and his shoulders square to Calvert... Calvert was able to shove Bouchard's stick into his own face with enough force to knock out three teeth. (Without enough help, physically, from PMB to warrant this suspension)

Got it.

Its just overcompensating for the previous regime's opaque, secret, Knights Templar-y way of handing out suspensions (or not)
I'm pretty sure NHL.com had an article about every suspension with Colin Campbell/representative giving a small quote about the thought process behind the suspension.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 05:42 AM
BigT2002

I will only say this and then I'm just dropping it. Bouchard had <200 PIM in his CAREER. He gets a 2 game suspension for something that clearly was just as much of the fault of Calvert being a complete idiot and lifting it at the wrong time when he was going to do a little chop on him. That's it. Bouchard is now a "repeat offender" if he does anything else questionable, meaning he'll serve even more time. If that is the case, what will happen to Ovechkin if he does something stupid like he did last year? Or even Cooke/Gillis? Will they serve 10+ because they are already considered repeat offenders? Or will the hyperstars of the league get freebies from Shanny??

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 07:52 AM
hatterson
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Added the PMB suspension. If there's a thread (apart from here) that it's being discussed please point me to it and I'll add it to the OP.

hatterson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 08:06 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

i think the suspension is spot on

shouldnt be swinging a stick that high

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 08:27 AM
Vashanesh
Playoffs? Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
i think the suspension is spot on

shouldnt be swinging a stick that high
That's exactly the point, and why we're upset. Bouchard didn't swing his stick that high, Calvert lifted what was intended to be a downswing chop on the hands (and anyone that wants to argue that he shouldn't have been doing that needs to pay more attention, it happens a half dozen times - if not more - a game) into his own face.

It's a plain case of punishing the result, not the intent. Which doesn't strike me as the spirit of what they were trying to remove from the last regime, especially given Bouchard's track record. It's not like we're talking about Matt Cooke or some other multi-incident offender.

Vashanesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 08:27 AM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Yup a double minor has now become a 2 game suspension.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 08:42 AM
Bookman

vCash: 728
I think Shanny is drunk with power.

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 08:49 AM
Pondwaterpierre*

What the hell is this league coming to? Go away Shanny, you're annoying.

Pondwaterpierre* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 09:08 AM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
I will only say this and then I'm just dropping it. Bouchard had <200 PIM in his CAREER. He gets a 2 game suspension for something that clearly was just as much of the fault of Calvert being a complete idiot and lifting it at the wrong time when he was going to do a little chop on him. That's it. Bouchard is now a "repeat offender" if he does anything else questionable, meaning he'll serve even more time. If that is the case, what will happen to Ovechkin if he does something stupid like he did last year? Or even Cooke/Gillis? Will they serve 10+ because they are already considered repeat offenders? Or will the hyperstars of the league get freebies from Shanny??
I also think Shanny has run amuck.. The superstars will get free passes, you know they will.

This should be overturned. but you know it won't.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 09:49 AM
Vladiator16*
R.I.P - Loko.

This is starting to get ridiculous, Shanny needs to remember his playing days and comethe****down a bit.

Vladiator16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 10:17 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

He didn't target the head, but if you take a two handed chop at a guy, you are responsible for the outcome.

I'm sure the history between these teams played a part in the suspension. The Wiz suspension was harsh considering the situation, I don't feel this suspension is any harsher.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 11:54 AM
anteater90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashanesh View Post
That's exactly the point, and why we're upset. Bouchard didn't swing his stick that high, Calvert lifted what was intended to be a downswing chop on the hands (and anyone that wants to argue that he shouldn't have been doing that needs to pay more attention, it happens a half dozen times - if not more - a game) into his own face.

It's a plain case of punishing the result, not the intent. Which doesn't strike me as the spirit of what they were trying to remove from the last regime, especially given Bouchard's track record. It's not like we're talking about Matt Cooke or some other multi-incident offender.

If results are being evaluated then Wiz should have no suspension because Clutterbuck skated the next shift. Now I don't think that is right either. I think Wiz should have gotten 4 games since there was no injury to the player but a message needed to be sent to him. I think two for this incident is about right. He does take a two handed swing. If he never takes the swing there is no stick to redirect. Just my two cents. I am a CBJ fan so weigh that but I am also a CBJ fan that thinks WIz needed to be suspended as well.

anteater90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 11:58 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Upheld via several sources, including...

http://twitter.com/#!/TSNBobMcKenzie

Quote:
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman upholds two-game suspension for P-M Bouchard on appeal.

Old
10-10-2011, 12:45 PM
Kev22

Seems like we just saw this type of post war between these two teams what about two weeks ago. Jackets fans think Clutterbuck is to blame for Wiz's suspension and now Wild fans think that Calvert is to blame for Bouchard's suspension. I guess the point that everyone is missing is that both players were wrong and somebody is holding them responsible.

I've watched the Wiz video and agree that he made a boneheaded play worthy of suspension, I'll let everyone else argue on length. One thing I will say about the Bouchard incident is that he drops his stick immediately after he made contact with Calvert's face, which to me indicates he knows he did something wrong. Again, I'm not getting into semantics about intent, etc. but just thought I would point that out.

I guess my greater point, really in anything, not just hockey, is taking personal responsibility for your actions. Say you screwed up, take your punishment and move on and try to get better.

Kev22 is offline   Reply With Quote