HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Lines and d-pairs in practice today. Pretty much what we expected

Old
10-03-2011, 06:38 PM
Sabresfansince1980

vCash: 500
This is what I see if Adam is ready and reliable at both ends...

Vanek-Roy-Pominville
Ennis-Leino-Stafford
Gerbe-Adam-Boyes
McCormick-Gaustad-Kaleta

Once Hecht is healthy or when Kaleta gets hurt next, McCormick moves from LW to RW and Hecht moves to LW on the 4th line. That's three legit scoring lines, although the Adam line could be/is weak defensively.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 06:46 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
This is what I see if Adam is ready and reliable at both ends...

Vanek-Roy-Pominville
Ennis-Leino-Stafford
Gerbe-Adam-Boyes
McCormick-Gaustad-Kaleta

Once Hecht is healthy or when Kaleta gets hurt next, McCormick moves from LW to RW and Hecht moves to LW on the 4th line. That's three legit scoring lines, although the Adam line could be/is weak defensively.
That's a good argument for switching Roy and Adam. Also, spreads the scoring to make it harder to defend, I think.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:00 PM
topshelfie

Is Gragnani your 6th or 7th defenceman? He had 7 points in 9 playoff games last year, I think he should play.

topshelfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:06 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfie4snipez View Post
Is Gragnani your 6th or 7th defenceman? He had 7 points in 9 playoff games last year, I think he should play.
7th without question.

Myers, Regehr, Ehrhoff, Leopold go without saying. Sekera is miles better defensively although inconsistent with offensive potential, and Weber adds some much needed jam as a defensive D-man. Given that we have Myers, Leopold, and Ehrhoff, the tradeoff between Sekera and Gragnani makes sense for more balanced pairings.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 10:13 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronr28 View Post
Perhaps I wasn't clear. With Goose, I think you know what you're going to get from him. It's solid, steady production over the course of a year. He doesn't hurt you out there but not sure how much he helps on the offensive end either. Maybe playing with Goose was the catalyst for Gerbe's turnaround. I don't know. I just thought the success he had initially gave him more confidence, which helped him play more aggressively and carry that momentum for a long time.

I'm saying that if this team wants to take a bigger step up and compete with some of the best teams in the league, it would be nice to have a 3rd line that contributes more offensively. If Goose is on the line and it works the way it did last year, great. But, if Adam plays up to his potential and the team can roll 3 scoring lines out there every night, this team starts to look a lot more lethal.

Maybe Kaleta is more the issue at LW. I guess you could rotate him and Boyes at that spot depending on matchups or the situation.
Fair enough.

My only issue was with the idea that a Gerbe/Goose based 3rd line won't produce offense with regularity. I think it showed last season that it would. But I have zero issues if Adam shows he is ready and forces Goose to the 4th line.

Quote:
I just remember how fun this team was to watch when they had Roy and Vanek killing people from the 3rd line. If Adam can hold down the spot between Vanek and Pominville, then you can probably get a lot more production out of line 3 with either Roy or Leino in the middle instead of Goose. Maybe I'm wrong but with our upgraded group on the blueline likely to cover up for any defensive downgrade a bit, I'd like to see it.
If Adam can continue to show he is ready for the NHL, even with the usual rookie ups and downs, we will have a lot of options up front. But my concern is not having a line thats going to be able take it to the other team physically, establish the forecheck on a regular basis and also be dangerous offensively.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 10:38 AM
Kruschiki

I'm a bit worried about Sekera-Weber.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 10:40 AM
aaronr28

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
If Adam can continue to show he is ready for the NHL, even with the usual rookie ups and downs, we will have a lot of options up front. But my concern is not having a line thats going to be able take it to the other team physically, establish the forecheck on a regular basis and also be dangerous offensively.
this is definitely the flip side of the equation. If you throw out some combination of Ennis, Gerbe, or Boyes on the 3rd line wings with a Leino or Roy in the middle, you gain offense but drop off quite a bit in size and physicality from the Goose and Kaleta options.

Anyway, it's a nice problem to have. When healthy, this team should be able to roll out 3 and even 4 lines most night that can score.

aaronr28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 11:24 AM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

I thought I heard on WGR that Adam was playing between Vanek and Boyes today.

Seems strange when there was some good chemistry with Vanek and Poms. If Roy is taking the top line again with Vanek and Poms, then Adam shoudl be playing with who he will start with against Anaheim. Get the chemistry going.

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 11:53 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpig View Post
I thought I heard on WGR that Adam was playing between Vanek and Boyes today.

Seems strange when there was some good chemistry with Vanek and Poms. If Roy is taking the top line again with Vanek and Poms, then Adam shoudl be playing with who he will start with against Anaheim. Get the chemistry going.
My guess is Lindy is seeing what Adam is really capable of. Taking Pominville off that line means there's little previous chemistry, so it'll be a good test of whether Adam's play lately has been a result of playing with two other players that are awesome together or if it's been because of Adam himself. If Adam plays well this afternoon, I'm betting he starts the season in Buffalo.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote