HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Rinaldo using preseason to grow

Old
09-27-2011, 09:12 AM
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation

vCash: 500
Prospect Rinaldo using preseason to grow

For a guy who's not a prospect, he is certainly making the news, and probably the team....

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...950&feedID=695

----

Which is why when the fiery Italian scored a goal for the Flyers in Toronto last week, coach Peter Laviolette said it was no accident. The coaching staff had been pushing Rinaldo to use his talents for something other than just agitating on the ice.

Rinaldo went flying up the left wing, took a nifty pass from Jakub Voracek, then went forehand/backhand on Maple Leafs goalie James Reimer to score.

“We tried to tell Zac to play some hockey,” Laviolette said. “Literally, we told him to go down the wing and score a goal. Cycle the puck like we do in practice. Play good defense, block some shots.

“He did all of that along with bringing a physical element to his game. He was in control. It was a good showing by him.”

--------

Laviolette played him in two playoff games against Boston last spring. Even though his ice time wasn’t enough to freeze a snow cone, Laviolette liked what he saw.

“It never panned out because in both those games we went down 3-0 at the 15-minute mark of the first period,” Laviolette said. “There went the game plan and use of him. We needed to score four goals and I had to double shift guys who could put the puck in the back of the net.

“He had a year where he grew as a player. He stayed here this summer. He made a commitment. He worked really hard. He is in terrific shape. I like his physical presence.”

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...ster_spot.html

Rinaldo in fight for Flyers roster spot
BY FRANK SERAVALLI

----

For Rinaldo, the circumstances don't matter. He just wants to be an NHLer. And Flyers coach Peter Laviolette said Rinaldo had an opening to make the team either way.

"I think I've set myself up in a good position," Rinaldo said. "It's not me this time, I'm not suspended. I'm being safe, I'm letting up on a lot of hits. I feel positive. They're giving me a chance to play hockey and I've ran with it."

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...#ixzz1ZA7BgI5o
Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 09:17 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

You LOVE Zac Rinaldo lol.

Well yea. When Shelly AND Sesito both get hurt, your chances increase daily. That being said, thats great that your boy has a chance of making it. Who doesnt make it?

JVR-Giroux-Jagr
Hartnell-Briere-Voracek
Read-Schenn-Simmonds
Talbot-Betts-Nodl/Rinaldo

Im guessing you think Nodl is easily the odd man out right? Or maybe Read doesnt make it?

Also important quote from the article you posted:

Quote:
“We tried to tell Zac to play some hockey,” Laviolette said. “Literally, we told him to go down the wing and score a goal. Cycle the puck like we do in practice. Play good defense, block some shots.
So even they acknowledge his crazyness and they are trying to stop it. Its like when they had to put Carcillo on the chain. I guess its Rinaldo's turn.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:51 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I really like Rinaldo. He's the kind of guy that other teams actively fear on the ice. His reckless past is going to give him a really big psychological edge going into games. Also the fact that he hits like a train.

Rinaldo without the suspension worthy hits is a quality fourth line forward.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:44 AM
DeflatedFootball7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I really like Rinaldo. He's the kind of guy that other teams actively fear on the ice. His reckless past is going to give him a really big psychological edge going into games. Also the fact that he hits like a train.

My thoughts exactly.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:57 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

I'm surprised he has not done anything dumb yet

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 12:01 PM
kicksave27

Kinda the same thing they did with carcillo. Who really toned his act down and drew more than he took. I know the whole "team toughness" thinkg hitch used to preach doesn't always work, but with the way the league is going, they shouldn't have to dress a heavy. Talbot can throw as well as simmonds, hartnell. Most nights a heavy is going to have problems just catching up to a flyer to hit, and when he does, he'll just go to the box and score on the PP.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 12:02 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

I'm still on the fence with this guy.

09-27-2011, 12:38 PM
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post

It's always good to have a couple nutbars on the team to keep the other team off balance.

Old
09-27-2011, 12:45 PM
Crossbar Ping

Anyone got a youtube of his goal???

Crossbar Ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 12:55 PM
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar Ping View Post
Anyone got a youtube of his goal???
You can watch most of the highlights on the Flyer site:

http://video.flyers.nhl.com/videocen...,1,14&fr=false

If that link won't work, you can just go to the main site and select schedule, preseason...

Old
09-27-2011, 01:36 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
Tom Sestito (PHI) amongst those on waivers today. No one from yesterday's list was claimed. Full list on tsn.ca shortly.

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 02:25 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
You LOVE Zac Rinaldo lol.

Well yea. When Shelly AND Sesito both get hurt, your chances increase daily. That being said, thats great that your boy has a chance of making it. Who doesnt make it?

JVR-Giroux-Jagr
Hartnell-Briere-Voracek
Read-Schenn-Simmonds
Talbot-Betts-Nodl/Rinaldo

Im guessing you think Nodl is easily the odd man out right? Or maybe Read doesnt make it?

Also important quote from the article you posted:

So even they acknowledge his crazyness and they are trying to stop it. Its like when they had to put Carcillo on the chain. I guess its Rinaldo's turn.
I hope that all the hard work that kid has done this year pays off for him and if he deserves it, he makes the squad. But I can see by your comments where you stand on this issue. And to answer your question. If I were Betts and Nodl I would be a little worried after seeing how some of the young guys have looked to date.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 03:09 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
I hope that all the hard work that kid has done this year pays off for him and if he deserves it, he makes the squad. But I can see by your comments where you stand on this issue. And to answer your question. If I were Betts and Nodl I would be a little worried after seeing how some of the young guys have looked to date.
But preseason is worthless! No insight can be inferred..none!

BTW: Forgot the sarcasm little dude

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 03:14 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
I had to watch him get suspended 4 times last season for cheap shotting a player where they either got seriously injured or could have. Until he PROVES that he more than a goon who hurts his team more than helps, my position wont change. Im a fan of the Flyers, and something that hurts the Flyers more than helps I am not a fan of.

Old
09-27-2011, 06:00 PM
Fenza
G-Rouxnit

Good for Rinaldo.

Fenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 06:09 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Rinaldo pounded the **** out of Dale Weise. It was tight.

09-27-2011, 06:16 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Pretty much everything that has happened and is progressing toward in the NHL, points to Rinaldo getting a shot to stick. And that's really it. People are touting his "underrated skills," even Ian Laperrierre, but there are few - if any (I'm looking and having a hard time finding someone who isn't strictly a goon) - who have stuck in the NHL and had a career high of 30 points as a forward in juniors, and 9 in a full AHL season. There really isn't anything that shows that he has or will have NHL skills, when he didn't even prove it in the OHL or AHL. This is like taking a cue from the Islanders.

Everyone knew from the start, Rinaldo was going to get his chance. He hasn't done anything to blow it yet, that is to his credit. Last night he got away with what could have been a 5-minute charging call had the man he was trying to hit not gotten out of the way.

One pre-season doesn't change a career-long's worth of...whatever he is. One whole season in the AHL might, but until he shows that he has some kind of game (pest skills + skating is not a game), then he is about as much of a prospect as Mike Zagurski was for the Phillies. That doesn't mean he 100% can't cut it in the NHL, that just means that it's very, very likely that he won't.

Rinaldo has shown very little in the terms of an offensive game at any point in his career. Dan Carcillo scored a great goal against Detroit two pre-seasons ago, and it was proof that he had he had the puck skills to be a solid third-line pest who can score as needed, until there was proof that he really didn't. But that's neither here nor there, if certain people didn't want to show up and discuss it when Holmgren showed him the door, then we don't need to do it now.

Even as creepish as Sean Avery is, beyond his shenanigans, he has proven to have some semblence of an actual NHL-caliber game (although I'm fairly confident that this will be his last season in the NHL). The AHL is the place to find that, and once Shelley returns, he will have the season to prove that he does. In a pre-season game where the Flyers lost two forwards, Rinaldo still did not break 10 minutes, while Harry Z (who almost no one is talking about), gets to kill penalties and defend 1-goal leads.

Some guys get a shot, pretty much stick around. And no, Trevor Gillies doesn't count. There's not much room in the NHL for small guys with no game, and the NHL isn't the place to suddenly discover it. The way the league is going, in two years if you can't take a regular shift, you'll probably get blacklisted. It bears saying that Zac Rinaldo's junior numbers are significantly worse than that of Riley Cote and Ryan Hollweg. I can't even find anyone, who isn't a big nasty goon, who has worse numbers in juniors. I'm not that interested in going into Islanders-territory where guys who can't play are getting thrown out to "mix it up."

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 07:15 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I had to watch him get suspended 4 times last season for cheap shotting a player where they either got seriously injured or could have. Until he PROVES that he more than a goon who hurts his team more than helps, my position wont change. Im a fan of the Flyers, and something that hurts the Flyers more than helps I am not a fan of.
Well I guess time will tell now huh? Me, I am all for someone working hard and hopefully improving their game. If he deserves to be on the team then so be it. It will be up to Peter one way or the other and I will respect his decision.

Old
09-27-2011, 07:17 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

It's true Harry Z has kind of "flown" under the radar...

Quote:
The oft-suspended Rinaldo has outplayed Sestito by a country mile. If the two players were even remotely close in size, Sestito probably would have been among the cuts made over the weekend, because he's also been significantly outplayed by Harry Zolnierczyk at camp. Rinaldo (thus far) has struck the perfect balance between aggressive play and discipline, and has made a concerted effort to show that he does have some hockey skill. Harry Z, who is also much smaller than Sestito, has skated with a lot of energy. He has not looked out of place against NHL caliber opposition.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...92711/45/38394

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 07:28 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Pretty much everything that has happened and is progressing toward in the NHL, points to Rinaldo getting a shot to stick. And that's really it. People are touting his "underrated skills," even Ian Laperrierre, but there are few - if any (I'm looking and having a hard time finding someone who isn't strictly a goon) - who have stuck in the NHL and had a career high of 30 points as a forward in juniors, and 9 in a full AHL season. There really isn't anything that shows that he has or will have NHL skills, when he didn't even prove it in the OHL or AHL. This is like taking a cue from the Islanders.

Everyone knew from the start, Rinaldo was going to get his chance. He hasn't done anything to blow it yet, that is to his credit. Last night he got away with what could have been a 5-minute charging call had the man he was trying to hit not gotten out of the way.

One pre-season doesn't change a career-long's worth of...whatever he is. One whole season in the AHL might, but until he shows that he has some kind of game (pest skills + skating is not a game), then he is about as much of a prospect as Mike Zagurski was for the Phillies. That doesn't mean he 100% can't cut it in the NHL, that just means that it's very, very likely that he won't.

Rinaldo has shown very little in the terms of an offensive game at any point in his career. Dan Carcillo scored a great goal against Detroit two pre-seasons ago, and it was proof that he had he had the puck skills to be a solid third-line pest who can score as needed, until there was proof that he really didn't. But that's neither here nor there, if certain people didn't want to show up and discuss it when Holmgren showed him the door, then we don't need to do it now.

Even as creepish as Sean Avery is, beyond his shenanigans, he has proven to have some semblence of an actual NHL-caliber game (although I'm fairly confident that this will be his last season in the NHL). The AHL is the place to find that, and once Shelley returns, he will have the season to prove that he does. In a pre-season game where the Flyers lost two forwards, Rinaldo still did not break 10 minutes, while Harry Z (who almost no one is talking about), gets to kill penalties and defend 1-goal leads.

Some guys get a shot, pretty much stick around. And no, Trevor Gillies doesn't count. There's not much room in the NHL for small guys with no game, and the NHL isn't the place to suddenly discover it. The way the league is going, in two years if you can't take a regular shift, you'll probably get blacklisted. It bears saying that Zac Rinaldo's junior numbers are significantly worse than that of Riley Cote and Ryan Hollweg. I can't even find anyone, who isn't a big nasty goon, who has worse numbers in juniors. I'm not that interested in going into Islanders-territory where guys who can't play are getting thrown out to "mix it up."
Erik Godard?

Old
09-27-2011, 07:57 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Erik Godard?
Goon. Doesn't count. I excluded goons from the challenge, because that's too easy, and arguably serve more of a purpose anyways.

Old
09-27-2011, 08:08 PM
Snipsnap12

Really do not like this guy do you? Why does lavy, the organization, and lappy like this guy so much?

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 08:19 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
Really do not like this guy do you? Why does lavy, the organization, and lappy like this guy so much?
Same reason they all like Shelly, Carcillo, etc etc? Because its the Flyers mentality, to have a goon and/or crazy ****er on the team that really doesnt help the team much, but is there.

Oh and incase anyone wants to know/didnt know, Shelly's caphit DOES count against the cap even when suspended. Bill Daly, Deputy Commissioner and Chief Legal Officer of the NHL confirmed it.

Say you rolled with this lineup:

Quote:
FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Daniel Briere ($6.500m) / James Van Riemsdyk ($1.654m)
Jaromir Jagr ($3.300m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($2.250m)
Matt Read ($0.900m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Wayne Simmonds ($1.750m)
Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Blair Betts ($0.700m) / Andreas Nodl ($0.845m)
Jody Shelley ($1.100m)

DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Chris Pronger ($4.921m)
Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / Matt Carle ($3.437m)
Braydon Coburn ($3.200m) / Andreas Lilja ($0.737m)
Oskars Bartulis ($0.600m)

GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.666m) / Sergei Bobrovsky ($1.750m)

CARRY-OVER BONUS PENALTY: $1,402,500

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,858,095; BONUSES: $3,815,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $441,905
Rinaldo is still fighting for a roster spot with Nodl and Read. Obviously if Nodl is hurt longer then expected Rinaldo has a good chance of being on the team. At this moment though, I dont think I agree with Rinaldo outbeating Read. I dont know if anyone does.

Last edited by sa cyred: 09-27-2011 at 08:25 PM.
Old
09-27-2011, 08:21 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
I don't think it's not not liking him as it is having rational expectations. He'll get his NHL chance, I am sure of this, and it seems that he has done what the organization has asked him to do thus far, as far as his discipline goes. Again, to his credit. But everything points to him getting a cup of coffee or two, and that's it. Some guys still get that, knowing they probably won't have an NHL career.

If he has all these skills that everyone in the media keep screaming about, it would help if they had any tangible evidence to that.

Old
09-27-2011, 08:24 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I don't think it's not not liking him as it is having rational expectations. He'll get his NHL chance, I am sure of this, and it seems that he has done what the organization has asked him to do thus far, as far as his discipline goes. Again, to his credit. But everything points to him getting a cup of coffee or two, and that's it. Some guys still get that, knowing they probably won't have an NHL career.

If he has all these skills that everyone in the media keep screaming about, it would help if they had any tangible evidence to that.
well they get to see what he brings in practice. I think he is a great player type for a 4th line grind. You cannot base everything off of junior and AHL. Look at a guy like Matt Read he looks great, but developed very slow.

I bet rinaldo makes the most of his chance and shows he can be effective

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote