HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Michael Houser

Old
11-01-2011, 05:19 AM
luiginb

vCash: 500
Michael Houser

He's on a tear with the London Knights right now, so I thought I should check him out. No surprise that he was on the CHL's All-Rookie team a couple years ago, but the big surprise is that although he put up decent numbers the last 2 years, and was a starter last year, no team took a chance on him in the draft.

What is the knock on Houser's play, what kept the NHL teams away, and do you think he will be at least drafted this year?

luiginb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 05:26 AM
JL17

Quote:
Originally Posted by luiginb View Post
He's on a tear with the London Knights right now, so I thought I should check him out. No surprise that he was on the CHL's All-Rookie team a couple years ago, but the big surprise is that although he put up decent numbers the last 2 years, and was a starter last year, no team took a chance on him in the draft.

What is the knock on Houser's play, what kept the NHL teams away, and do you think he will be at least drafted this year?
To be honest I can't see much that's wrong with Houser. Had some lapses in judgement playing the puck last year... that seems to be gone this year. Maybe some questionable goaltending in the playoffs a few softies(London goalies over the last few years have had curse on them and they start letting in softies) went but I can't think of anything.

JL17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 01:32 PM
playthetrap*

Rebound control

playthetrap* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 04:48 PM
doogie24

Im convinced that NHL teams / USA Hockey have stayed away due to his unorthodox style. He is not your typical fundamental goalie, far from the cookie cutter style of lets say, Carey Price. It's sometimes hard to see for people who are non-goalies, but if you watch him as much as I do, and than watch other high end goalie prospects, its actually very easy to see why he has been overlooked. I don't see rebound control being a huge issue. His puckhandling is below average, but thats not a big deal. He is excellent laterally on breakaways and makes alot of saves in traffic and in close. The Knights are always a solid club, but he has really carried them the last few years, not the other way around. He has alot going for him, except for that prototypical style and base of fundamentals that scouts want to see.

Sorry to beat this comparison to death, because it has been used on other boards, but he is not the same goalie as Jack Campbell - who is a scouts dream when it comes projectability and potential. Just watch the two of them play and you will be able to tell the difference.

Last edited by doogie24: 11-01-2011 at 04:56 PM.
doogie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 04:56 PM
Defensive Forward

I'm still in shock that he didn't get drafted. It defies logic.

Defensive Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 05:23 PM
Warren Piece

He was crap at the Canucks prospects camp last year. Played small and had no idea how to move the puck. Seemed nervous even compared to the other young prospects.

Warren Piece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 05:44 PM
Guardian452

There's a big difference between Canadian Major Junior/U.S. College and pro. He was at the Flyers prospects camp this year and Canucks prospects camp last year. Neither team liked what they saw when he was up against players destined for the AHL and ECHL.

Guardian452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 09:30 PM
playthetrap*

I like Houser and appreciate what he's done the last three seasons but London does play a good style even if they're letting a bunch of shots. Houser sees lots of point shots and the D usually collapses around him down low. He sees a lot of shots but a lot of those are from the perimeter.

playthetrap* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 05:31 AM
JL17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian452 View Post
There's a big difference between Canadian Major Junior/U.S. College and pro. He was at the Flyers prospects camp this year and Canucks prospects camp last year. Neither team liked what they saw when he was up against players destined for the AHL and ECHL.
I read nothing but great reviews from him at Flyers camp.

JL17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 09:36 AM
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Flash View Post
I'm still in shock that he didn't get drafted. It defies logic.
Exactly this. He's been one of the best goalies in the OHL the past few years.

Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:52 AM
doogie24

JP Anderson didnt get signed until late last year, someone will offer Houser a contract.

doogie24 is offline   Reply With Quote