HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wishart, Reese, 3 others waived

Old
09-28-2011, 10:39 AM
kasper11

vCash: 500
Wishart, Reese, 3 others waived

http://twitter.com/#!/StapeNewsday/s...72549610061824

Quote:
#Isles put 5 on waivers today: Fs Marcinko, Frischmon, Wallace and Ds Wishart, Reese.
Not surprising, probably all clear.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 10:45 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Wishart is crap. I really expected more out of his thus far, and last night he was nothing more than a big waff. Coughing pucks up through the neutral zone and even passing the puck directly onto the stick of opposing players.

Sad, because I thought I saw something last year that warranted a shot as a top 6 guy on the backend.

He blew that fast.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 10:46 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
Wishart is crap. I really expected more out of his thus far, and last night he was nothing more than a big waff. Coughing pucks up through the neutral zone and even passing the puck directly onto the stick of opposing players.

Sad, because I thought I saw something last year that warranted a shot as a top 6 guy on the backend.

He blew that fast.
I was thinking the same thing concerning him. Oh well.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 10:48 AM
Isles Junkie

Does this mean we're going to run the risk of losing Wishart to waivers?

I hope not. Poor camp or not, it's still good to have depth and they can do a lot worse for their #7/8 Dman than a former 1st round pick.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 10:50 AM
Amorican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Does this mean we're going to run the risk of losing Wishart to waivers?

I hope not. Poor camp or not, it's still good to have depth and they can do a lot worse for their #7/8 Dman than a former 1st round pick.

my thought is.. the Islanders have been looking for depth at D all off season... so if Wishart didn't make the ISLES, he's probably not going to make another team. He'll be at Bridgeport.

Amorican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky

Wishart played poorly last night, but the game at Boston he played very well. It was just a bad game. Very inconsistent he is, but I'm not going to give up on him. I still see something in him that proves he can be a full time NHLer.

He's a very smooth skater and passer. He also has a pretty good shot and lets not forget he's absolutely huge. This kid has some tools to be a good player. Hope no one claims him. Would be a shame.

Backhand of Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 11:13 AM
Otto91

Wow.... very surprised Wishart is on waivers....... giving up on him already and getting zero for Rolo is a kick in the Butt......

I wish they would of given him a little more time but i guess with other guys with more upside....they figure to dump him....

Otto91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 11:19 AM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Guys, Wishart is NOT good.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 11:20 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLio21093 View Post
Wishart played poorly last night, but the game at Boston he played very well. It was just a bad game. Very inconsistent he is, but I'm not going to give up on him. I still see something in him that proves he can be a full time NHLer.

He's a very smooth skater and passer. He also has a pretty good shot and lets not forget he's absolutely huge. This kid has some tools to be a good player. Hope no one claims him. Would be a shame.
I don't think he played particularly well in Boston either. I thought he looked better last season than he has so far in camp. Oh well, he'll probably clear and be one of the first call-ups along with Reese. But no, I'm not surprised by this move. He hasn't earned the right to stay.

In other news, it seems as though Mottau and Staios are still battling for that 6th spot. deHaan and Donovan too, but I suspect they'll both ultimately be sent down as well.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 11:21 AM
LAIslanderFan

Wishart doesn't get it. He's a big body, which should translate into physical play. Big guys like him, lack speed, but they usually make up for it in the way they play the game. Wishart will never be a finesse moving defensemen, he needs to take the body and use his size to intimidate. That's clearly not his game, so he'll end up being a solid player in the AHL, where the speed is a little closer to his pace.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 11:23 AM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
I don't think he played particularly well in Boston either. I thought he looked better last season than he has so far in camp. Oh well, he'll probably clear and be one of the first call-ups along with Reese.

In other news, it seems as though Mottau and Staios are still battling for that 6th spot. deHaan and Donovan too, but I suspect they'll both ultimately be sent down as well.
In the one game I've seen them play (last night's against Calgary), I like Donovan's play over DeHaan's.

I tried to watch the Devils game, but the stream was so bad, I couldn't even tell who was playing.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 11:32 AM
Aucoin3

Watching Wishart against Boston in the preseason was brutal. He is so burried here that I cant imagine anyone else would want him. That said if someone does want him come and get it. We can replace him with the future considerations from the Toews trade.

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 11:36 AM
88th Precinct
'Charro Unchained'

Wishart looked muchb better last year than anything I've seen during camp....Boston was almost passable yet still not impressive, but the little I saw last night was trés lame...

Meh...may the best 6 make the team.

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 11:36 AM
StrongIslanders90

I think were going to sign Staois...

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 11:59 AM
ziggy7716

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
I think were going to sign Staois...
I definitely agree although, regardless if they sign him or not if MacDonald or Jurcina are going to miss the start of the season our defense looks like this:

Streit
Hamonic
Eaton
Staios
Mottau
Donovan/de Haan/Ness

IMO, thats not good. If that's the case, Snow better act on that.

ziggy7716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 12:12 PM
hb6947
Hooked Since '78

I could be wrong bit with a whopping 25 NHL games, I think he is still protected under waiver rules.

hb6947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 12:15 PM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy7716 View Post
I definitely agree although, regardless if they sign him or not if MacDonald or Jurcina are going to miss the start of the season our defense looks like this:

Streit
Hamonic
Eaton
Staios
Mottau
Donovan/de Haan/Ness

IMO, thats not good. If that's the case, Snow better act on that.
It's not good even when fully healthy. Add injuries and it's even worse.

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 12:22 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 400
I was never high on Wishart never thought he was more than 6/7th dman at best and didn't expect him to make the team.

Bunk Moreland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 12:23 PM
hb6947
Hooked Since '78

Speaking of our waived players, does anyone know where I can find a list of players waived each day?

hb6947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 12:24 PM
SpeedDemon

okay Reese I get. that guy just plain sucks.

But Wishart ? I really don't get that one

Katic isn't ready to fill in the big shoes.

Are we going back to a bunch of old timers and hacks (Eaton, Staios, Pandolfo, etc)

What I want to know is why the heck is Mottau still on the team (or why he was signed for that matter. After what he did to Nielsen... I know grudges have no place in hockey but come on.)

This pretty much leaves us with 4 good defenceman
Streit, Jurcina, Amac, and Hamonic) who's gonna step up and be counted on to fill in the gaps ????

SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 12:35 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb6947 View Post
Speaking of our waived players, does anyone know where I can find a list of players waived each day?
This link is for NHL transactions. It covers not only waivers, but just any and all daily transactions for NHL clubs.

I'm not sure if there's an actual page exclusively for a list of waiver players.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 12:37 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb6947 View Post
I could be wrong bit with a whopping 25 NHL games, I think he is still protected under waiver rules.
No, we had a brief look at the rules earlier in the year. He was signed 4 years ago, therefore his waiver eligibility runs out.

Count me as part of the surprised group... this means staios is making the team and so is Mottau. I personally would have kept him on no matter what.

I doubt he passes through tbh.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 12:43 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
No, we had a brief look at the rules earlier in the year. He was signed 4 years ago, therefore his waiver eligibility runs out.

Count me as part of the surprised group... this means staios is making the team and so is Mottau. I personally would have kept him on no matter what.

I doubt he passes through tbh.
Unless another team sees something in him *right now*, then he'll pass through waivers.

Any team that picks him up has to keep him on their NHL roster. If they attempt to send him down to their farm team, he has to again pass through waivers, and the Isles get first crack at re-acquiring him. At that point, the Isles can then send him down to BP without further waiver issues.

So unless a team wants Wishart to play in their top six this season, he'll make it through.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 12:46 PM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

Wishart on waivers is a bit of a surprise. He did not have a very good game, and an iffy camp altogether, but he hardly looked "out of place" filling in last season. He is a good "call up" player right now as needed — the #7/#8 guy. I was expecting to see him perhaps challenge for a spot.

BUT...

Steve Staios is playing well. Matt Donovan has been very solid. Cal de Haan will improve but he still needs a little time. Those who think he is ready now are making a mistake.

To me — Staios fills in to make it Streit, MacDonald, Hamonic, Eaton, Mottau, Jurcina and Staios. This way we have good depth and we buy time for the younger players.

Wishart may yet clear waivers, and it will allow us to have him as a call up.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 12:56 PM
ktrio730

Send a message via AIM to ktrio730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Unless another team sees something in him *right now*, then he'll pass through waivers.

Any team that picks him up has to keep him on their NHL roster. If they attempt to send him down to their farm team, he has to again pass through waivers, and the Isles get first crack at re-acquiring him. At that point, the Isles can then send him down to BP without further waiver issues.

So unless a team wants Wishart to play in their top six this season, he'll make it through.
How did that work with Grabner last season? We claimed him but than he was sent down for the first few games if I recall. I don't think he had to through waivers again after we claimed him.

ktrio730 is offline   Reply With Quote