HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Wishart, Reese, 3 others waived

Old
09-28-2011, 12:58 PM
redbull
Expect more

vCash: 500
Wishart has time to develop, I wouldn't give up on him just yet. But he's clearly not a top 6 defenseman this year on the NYI and that means he likely wouldn't be on any other team.

He may never make it but he certainly has the physical tools to be a good defenseman - if he improves his decision making, positioning, physical play. He doesn't have offensive upside IMO, doesn't have the instincts for that.

This is a bad NYI defense. Staios shouldn't be a top six dman either. The fact that he's better than Wishart isn't a statement on how good Staois is - they are both bad.

Sadly, Mottau and Eaton are better options right now.

I expect a much better defenseman to be available on waivers before the start of the season. I don't expect a trade before the season starts.

I also think deHaan is a LOCK to be on the NHL roster for opening night. Like it or not, that's the way I see things going.

Personally, I don't mind, I think deHaan is ready and capable (certainly more than anyone else we have)

Streit - Hamonic - deHaan - MacDonald - Eaton - Jurcina - Mottau

minors: Donovan, Ness, Wishart, Reese, Klementyev, Katic (injured for a long time)

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 12:59 PM
seafoam

vCash: 70
Grabner had a poor camp, if we lose him I'll be upset.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 01:06 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
Grabner had a poor camp, if we lose him I'll be upset.
I take it you mean last year? Anyway, you can but the kleenex away, I doubt anyone claims Wishart.

I also think deHaan spends sometime in Bridgeport this year. Whether or not he starts the season there is another question. Donovan definitely goes to the Bridge.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 01:09 PM
seafoam

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
I take it you mean last year? Anyway, you can but the kleenex away, I doubt anyone claims Wishart.

I also think deHaan spends sometime in Bridgeport this year. Whether or not he starts the season there is another question. Donovan definitely goes to the
Bridge.
I'll be dissapointed if we lost Wishart, not everyone has good camps, like Grabs. Thats what i meant to say

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 01:11 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrio730 View Post
How did that work with Grabner last season? We claimed him but than he was sent down for the first few games if I recall. I don't think he had to through waivers again after we claimed him.
Grabner, if I recall, was a healthy scratch but remained with the big club. He wasn't actually sent down to BP.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 01:11 PM
MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto91 View Post
Wow.... very surprised Wishart is on waivers....... giving up on him already and getting zero for Rolo is a kick in the Butt......

I wish they would of given him a little more time but i guess with other guys with more upside....they figure to dump him....
We traded for a prospect not an NHL player, Wishart getting waived to the AHL to work on his game. I doubt anyone picks him up but if they do..not a big deal

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 01:27 PM
Tavaresfan91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy7716 View Post
I definitely agree although, regardless if they sign him or not if MacDonald or Jurcina are going to miss the start of the season our defense looks like this:

Streit
Hamonic
Eaton
Staios
Mottau
Donovan/de Haan/Ness

IMO, thats not good. If that's the case, Snow better act on that.
you forgot mcdonald

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 01:32 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Unless another team sees something in him *right now*, then he'll pass through waivers.

Any team that picks him up has to keep him on their NHL roster. If they attempt to send him down to their farm team, he has to again pass through waivers, and the Isles get first crack at re-acquiring him. At that point, the Isles can then send him down to BP without further waiver issues.

So unless a team wants Wishart to play in their top six this season, he'll make it through.
He's a big dman who can skate. He doesn't have to be in the top 6. A team could sit him up in the rafters for a month or two until they have a better sense of him. In that time he can be an injury replacement.

Dmen always take longer to develop.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 01:36 PM
leeroggy

Based on what I saw last night both Donovan and DeHaan are ready for NHL action, the question is which one starts with the team. Donovan was pretty much our best offensive threat last night. Either one can pair with Eaton on the 3rd pair (I'd rather start Donovan there and DeHaan in Bridgeport).

This means we could go

Streit - Staios/Jurcina
AMac - Hamonic
Donovan - Eaton

Then when DeHaan has half a season under his belt he can slot into the Staios position and maybe we go:

Streit - Donovan
AMac - Hamonic
DeHaan - Eaton/Jurcina

I see Mottau waived or in Bridgeport and one of Staios or Eaton as the non-dressed 7th d-man. Staios is probably the better temperamentally for that role.

leeroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 01:52 PM
seabass45

Little disappointed about Wishart, thought he might smarten up if they gave him a shot with Streit. I could see a team with nothing to lose snatching him up.

seabass45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 01:55 PM
malPHONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
Wishart is crap. I really expected more out of his thus far, and last night he was nothing more than a big waff. Coughing pucks up through the neutral zone and even passing the puck directly onto the stick of opposing players.

Sad, because I thought I saw something last year that warranted a shot as a top 6 guy on the backend.

He blew that fast.
So you are willing to make a complete 180 from what you saw for over ten regular season games because of ONE preseason game?

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 01:57 PM
ziggy7716

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresfan91 View Post
you forgot mcdonald
I did not. I said if he wasnt ready to go that would be the defense.

ziggy7716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 02:00 PM
KingLio21093
Casey Zeeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I also think deHaan is a LOCK to be on the NHL roster for opening night. Like it or not, that's the way I see things going.

Personally, I don't mind, I think deHaan is ready and capable (certainly more than anyone else we have)

Streit - Hamonic - deHaan - MacDonald - Eaton - Jurcina - Mottau

minors: Donovan, Ness, Wishart, Reese, Klementyev, Katic (injured for a long time)
I honestly don't see de Haan with the big club on opening night. Granted, I do see him as a first call up if someone to get injured (and it will happen).

Like it or not, the Isles are gonna sign Staios. I personally think it's inevitable. Think the D pairings will be:
Streit - Staios
Hamonic - MacDonald
Jurcina - Eaton
Mottau

KingLio21093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 03:56 PM
kpap57

what is the word on Amac? I heard he was sore of something along those lines? Wasnt he around at the beggining of camp? So im not sure if he is still recovering from surgery.

Edit: For this team to be successful , we are going to have to have almost no injuries on D. At least no long term ones. I am very excited for this team this year, at least the O side of it, but or D is very fragile. It is compentant as a whole, but any significant injury and we are screwed.

kpap57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 03:59 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLio21093 View Post
I honestly don't see de Haan with the big club on opening night. Granted, I do see him as a first call up if someone to get injured (and it will happen).

Like it or not, the Isles are gonna sign Staios. I personally think it's inevitable. Think the D pairings will be:
Streit - Staios
Hamonic - MacDonald
Jurcina - Eaton
Mottau
I think they might go with (or I'd at least rather);

Streit - MacDonald
Hamonic - Staios/Eaton
Jurcina - Staios/Eaton
Mottau

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 04:06 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroggy View Post
Based on what I saw last night both Donovan and DeHaan are ready for NHL action, the question is which one starts with the team. Donovan was pretty much our best offensive threat last night. Either one can pair with Eaton on the 3rd pair (I'd rather start Donovan there and DeHaan in Bridgeport).

This means we could go

Streit - Staios/Jurcina
AMac - Hamonic
Donovan - Eaton

Then when DeHaan has half a season under his belt he can slot into the Staios position and maybe we go:

Streit - Donovan
AMac - Hamonic
DeHaan - Eaton/Jurcina

I see Mottau waived or in Bridgeport and one of Staios or Eaton as the non-dressed 7th d-man. Staios is probably the better temperamentally for that role.
That is a very young defense, to young IMO with both DeHann and Donovan, but I do see your point. If we are starting both of these players in our defense for a long period of time we probably won't be seeing the playoffs this season. I really think we have a good shot to make some noise this season, but we really need to add one more top 4 defenseman.

I think we are going to see something like this being our defense when Dehann/Donovan is ready.

Streit-Hamonic
MacDonald-DeHann/Donovan
Jurcina/Mottau/Eaton

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 04:08 PM
leaponover

I was one of the people who never jumped on the Wishart band wagon. I think he is nothing special and if he stays or goes no big deal. I'd rather get deHaan in lineup then him.

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 04:16 PM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpap57 View Post
what is the word on Amac? I heard he was sore of something along those lines? Wasnt he around at the beggining of camp? So im not sure if he is still recovering from surgery.

Edit: For this team to be successful , we are going to have to have almost no injuries on D. At least no long term ones. I am very excited for this team this year, at least the O side of it, but or D is very fragile. It is compentant as a whole, but any significant injury and we are screwed.
Him and Jurcina scare the crap out of me health wise. Personally I don't feel Amac could ever play 75-80 games a season or even reach that point once in his career. He seemed to break down both seasons so far.

Personally I wouldn't mind it if they traded him and say Bailey/Comeau for an upgrade to the D position because even though he's skilled I just don't think his body can hold up.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 05:26 PM
Volek25

Send a message via AIM to Volek25
Wishart looked awful last night, then again so did a lot of guys (cough cough Comeau). Donovan IMO looked like the trade up #12 pick last night, not de Haan. I hate to use this example cause it's just so obvious but after the 30 something yr old and slow skating Jokinen embarrassed the kid in the corner at the end, that should prove that CDH needs to grow up a bit in the A before he steps in w the big boys. Sorry again for using that example on why he doesn't belong, but it was a great representation.

Volek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 05:37 PM
Nolanitis

I would be surprised to see him clear waivers, as he could be a 7th defenseman on a lot of teams right now. He very well might be a good player in 2-3 years after he realizes the gifts he has would translate into the nhl game if he were more physical. My guess is Columbus grabs him

Nolanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 05:38 PM
Top Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto91 View Post
Wow.... very surprised Wishart is on waivers....... giving up on him already and getting zero for Rolo is a kick in the Butt......

I wish they would of given him a little more time but i guess with other guys with more upside....they figure to dump him....
Another earth shattering trade for Snow. I see why he shy's away from making deals,
He would destroy the team if he ever makes a deal involving top end players.
He's got a D- in my books when it comes to deals.

Milbury gets and F so hes a little better.

Top Corner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 05:51 PM
KH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post
Wishart on waivers is a bit of a surprise. He did not have a very good game, and an iffy camp altogether, but he hardly looked "out of place" filling in last season. He is a good "call up" player right now as needed the #7/#8 guy. I was expecting to see him perhaps challenge for a spot.

BUT...

Steve Staios is playing well. Matt Donovan has been very solid. Cal de Haan will improve but he still needs a little time. Those who think he is ready now are making a mistake.

To me Staios fills in to make it Streit, MacDonald, Hamonic, Eaton, Mottau, Jurcina and Staios. This way we have good depth and we buy time for the younger players.

Wishart may yet clear waivers, and it will allow us to have him as a call up.
On what planet does that unit qualify as "good depth" on defense?

With those 7, we are starting the season with 3 big injury risks (Jurcina, Eaton and Macdonald,) and two guys who shouldn't be getting big minutes for a playoff contender (Motteau and Staios.) When someone goes down, we'll be relying on either a rookie or an AHL lifer--that's not gonna fly in the Atlantic division.

Especially in light of the fact that Wishart turned out to not be good enough to even make the roster, Snow's failure to acquire a legit NHL defenseman this offseason is inexcusable.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 05:54 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Corner View Post
Another earth shattering trade for Snow. I see why he shy's away from making deals,
He would destroy the team if he ever makes a deal involving top end players.
He's got a D- in my books when it comes to deals.

Milbury gets and F so hes a little better.
Its not like he could have gotten anything better. What other teams really needed a goalie for the stretch run? He took the best offer he had. You were obviously expecting something unrealistic for Roloson.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 06:36 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

If they've done this hoping that someone might grab Wishart, I'd have to think this gives us even more reason to believe that Snow's eyes are on someone else at the moment - aside from Staios, who may very well be signed.

PS) Wishart has to go through waivers in order to be sent to Bridgeport. It's risky, but it doesn't mean the team is 'giving up on him'. It means the team has decided it could live with him being taken, if that happens. I think there's a big difference.

Last edited by Chapin Landvogt: 09-28-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 06:58 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Theres 50 or so players put on waivers every day, being sent down to teams respective farm teams. Like someone else already said, if Wishart can't make the islanders, he isn't going to get claimed. There are plenty of other veteran type players available to claim.

Donovan, De Haan and Ness all start in Bridgeport, I don't understand how anyone sees otherwise.

Isles Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote