HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Peter Regin (season ending shoulder surgery)

Old
01-18-2012, 12:28 PM
Zorf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensjersey11 View Post
I can't imagine we won't at the very least offer him a qualifying offer. To just let the kid walk outright is a little crazy.

If we did decide we didn't want to hold his rights anymore, I'm sure we could at least get a pick for him from a team that wants to gamble on a talented kid with injury troubles, rather than just let him walk.
It's not crazy at all. He's done nothing in 2 years to show that his flash in the pan play in one round of playoffs was anything but that. There's more than enough organizational depth to replace him, and why waste a contract on a player who probably can't play effectively anymore?

Also, no one in the NHL would be dumb enough to offer more than a conditional 7th rnd pick on this guy. Seriously, the only GM who is that dumb is Burke becuase he seems to want a speedy, wimpy team now, but he'd never trade with the Sens.

Give up the dream folks. He was great when he played on Spezza's wing, but he's not good enough to do that anymore, especially on this roster.

I wish him the best, but his time here is done.

Zorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:55 PM
Xspyrit

The problem with people is they have a really short selective memory.

Regin was NOT ONLY good in that playoff round, he was also very good down the stretch and also in all the 2nd half of the season when he got more opportunity to play in an offensive role. Of course he wasn't going to light it up on the 4th line with grinders.

In fact, over his career Regin only struggled in a 30 games stretch in 2010-11. Check game logs before spreading baseless opinions

Facts > opinions

Xspyrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:07 PM
operasen

I hate to see him cut loose for nothing as well. But his time is Now - and he's hurt again. Shoulder operation did not take and a further one will weaken it for the next time. 3 years,; 3 operations; 2 shoulders. That weakens the upper body on both sides.

He was a solid guy 2 years ago and early thi season until he was hurt. There is too much indecision about the next operation, so he knows it will be an issue moving forward.

And, IF he were offered a contract he would eat up a spot when there is so much talent coming. If Silfverberg and Zibanejad pan out and make the club as expected, never mind the wildcards in Hoffman, Stone, Petersson, DaCosta. There is no place for him.

Same with some of Butler, Daugavins, Winchester, Konopka, et al.

No one will push Spezza, Michalek, Alfredsson and Turris. Greening, Condra, Neil, Smith, Foligno - they are safe.

Its a hard thing and Murray will try to get something - but every GM knows what the issues are.

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 05:16 AM
Tobias

Send a message via Skype™ to Tobias
Regins agent expects Regin to continue in the NHL next season. He will not disclose, whether or not Ottawa has expressed interest in signing him for another season.

http://tv2sport.dk/regins-agent-peter-fortsaetter-i-nhl

Tobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 06:03 AM
N Bahn Ahden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
Regins agent expects Regin to continue in the NHL next season. He will not disclose, whether or not Ottawa has expressed interest in signing him for another season.

http://tv2sport.dk/regins-agent-peter-fortsaetter-i-nhl
Even if he were healthy they wouldn't necessarily be talking with him at this point about a new contract. I wouldn't read too much into that.

N Bahn Ahden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 06:12 AM
Tuna99

vCash: 50
Regina was our best player at the start of this season, I can't believe fans are giving up on him.

Just a season ago people were saying 9MM was done and his knees were shot he couldn't skate anymore.

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 07:45 AM
RedWhiteBlackGold

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post
Regina was our best player at the start of this season, I can't believe fans are giving up on him.

Just a season ago people were saying 9MM was done and his knees were shot he couldn't skate anymore.
I think it's more of a matter of room. Now that we got Turris, and with Zibby and Silfverberg coming over next year there's going to be very limited room.

It's a coin toss at this point with Regin. Either he becomes a steal for another team and becomes a 2nd line forward, or continues to be hampered by injuries and doesn't become much more than an Patrick Eaves type - 4th liner.

01-19-2012, 08:17 AM
Caeldan

vCash: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWhiteBlackGold View Post
I think it's more of a matter of room. Now that we got Turris, and with Zibby and Silfverberg coming over next year there's going to be very limited room.

It's a coin toss at this point with Regin. Either he becomes a steal for another team and becomes a 2nd line forward, or continues to be hampered by injuries and doesn't become much more than an Patrick Eaves type - 4th liner.
I realize its Hockeys Future, but I do wish people would stop automatically pencilling two or three prospects into next year's lineup.

You know why we have a problem with russian (and if it wasn't for Alfie, likely swedish) prospects? Because we don't have a reputation of building through the farm. Look at Detroit - their guys basically have to go through the AHL, in some cases for years - before getting their turn.

So some kid with an ego comes over here, gets a taste of the NHL but then gets asked to ride the busses a bit... While another guy who is possibly a lower skill level, but right role for the opening on the roster gets to stay up - and we lose the skill player.

Instead, we should be making guys get used to the fact they need to put their time in on the busses just to foster a better team attitude. I mean, now that we're bringing in some kids from being developed in the AHL, we suddenly look like a new team... Coincindence? Perhaps not.

Caeldan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:26 AM
operasen

If its not Silfverberg and Zibanejad, it will be someone else like Petersson, DaCosta, Hoffman.

We need to correct our LW situation on Spezza's and Turris' lines.

Greening (LW) works with Smith and Condra (as a RW)

I suspect as well there will be a trade for somewone with LW1 potential. I think Murray has targetted Ryan or similar type of return and will make a move that does not involve Zibanejad, Stone, Borowiecki or Silfverberg as propects. I think just about any other prospect could be had in a deal for that type of return along with guys like Butler, Daugavins, Winchester, Konopka.

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:34 AM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harf View Post
It's not crazy at all. He's done nothing in 2 years to show that his flash in the pan play in one round of playoffs was anything but that. There's more than enough organizational depth to replace him, and why waste a contract on a player who probably can't play effectively anymore?

Also, no one in the NHL would be dumb enough to offer more than a conditional 7th rnd pick on this guy. Seriously, the only GM who is that dumb is Burke becuase he seems to want a speedy, wimpy team now, but he'd never trade with the Sens.

Give up the dream folks. He was great when he played on Spezza's wing, but he's not good enough to do that anymore, especially on this roster.

Crap. Regin has shown himself to be a very effective player on offence and defence. He might not be the near PPG player he seemed with Spezza at the end of the season a couple of years ago.

Have you watched how good this team is? We are potentially a Stanley Cup contender next season. If you see him progressing by the summer with the injury you resign him for certain to around 1 million.

He is worlds better than Konopka or Butler or Daugavins... our current 4th line. Wjo knows where Regin fits next season... he could be on the 1st line or the 4th. So could Condra or Greening for that matter.

You have a player as good as Regin... if he seems like he can get healthy by June/July you keep him. The goal is to win. Regin in our top 12 is cheap and good. If Zibanejad or Silvfenberg can't play as well as Regin then they play below him or go to AHL. The goal is to win... not get rid of cheap young talented players.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:42 AM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

If you want to be a contender, you need all the good players you can get. Just getting rid of Regin would be silly, especially at his cost of a million or so. Instead of "making room" for players, the goal is to have a team that is stacked with talent and depth. Having someone like Regin in the bottom 6 would go to show the talent we have on this team, and would probably mean we are fielding a good roster.

Also, pencilling in rookies is a dangerous game to play, just assuming theylll make the jump with no problems.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:03 AM
Lenny the Lynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
If you want to be a contender, you need all the good players you can get. Just getting rid of Regin would be silly, especially at his cost of a million or so. Instead of "making room" for players, the goal is to have a team that is stacked with talent and depth. Having someone like Regin in the bottom 6 would go to show the talent we have on this team, and would probably mean we are fielding a good roster.

Also, pencilling in rookies is a dangerous game to play, just assuming theylll make the jump with no problems.
Yeah I agree on Regin - I've never really understood the rage he brings out in some people, its just bizarre.

Lenny the Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:14 AM
Zorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
Crap. Regin has shown himself to be a very effective player on offence and defence. He might not be the near PPG player he seemed with Spezza at the end of the season a couple of years ago.

Have you watched how good this team is? We are potentially a Stanley Cup contender next season. If you see him progressing by the summer with the injury you resign him for certain to around 1 million.

He is worlds better than Konopka or Butler or Daugavins... our current 4th line. Wjo knows where Regin fits next season... he could be on the 1st line or the 4th. So could Condra or Greening for that matter.

You have a player as good as Regin... if he seems like he can get healthy by June/July you keep him. The goal is to win. Regin in our top 12 is cheap and good. If Zibanejad or Silvfenberg can't play as well as Regin then they play below him or go to AHL. The goal is to win... not get rid of cheap young talented players.

So, I take it you're a Regin fan-boy?

I'm not disputing that Regin has shown that he can be a very effective player, but that was 2 years ago, on Spezza's wing. He's been useless since then. I will concede that his ineffective play is mostly due to injuries, but he's arguably not good enough to be top 6 on this team, definitely not good enough to bump anyone off Spezza's line, and he's not suited to the checking style of play that the team expects from the bottom 6 players. Regardless of his skill level, being durable enough to last more than 20 games a season is an important factor to consider. If it wasn't, and everyone gave contracts away based on skill alone, Pascale Leclaire would have an NHL job right now. Hey, by your logic, the Sens should dump Auld and sign Leclaire as the backup! He hasn't played in over a year, but a few years ago he had a lot of shutouts, so he's obviously better. Let's sign him!! Yay! It's fun giving out contracts based on past performances that you haven't come close to matching in 2+ years, but heck, you'll be cheap! Who needs to develop prospects and young players when you can have weak, ineffective, injury prone players taking up contracts!

I have watched how good this team is. I watch every game. And guess what, this team is effing great without Regin in the line-up. Not sure where you're going with that point. Also, you're assuming that his rehab from this injury will go well. Not to burst your bubble, but this is, as far as i know, his 2nd surgery on his shoulder and no one knows for sure how the surgery will go, or how strong his shoulder will be once it is done. Having surgery doesn not mean that he will recover back to 100%. I see that you said "if" when assessing his rehab, but that's a very big "if" in my opinion.

In terms of skill, yes, he is better than Konopka and Daugavins (arguable with Butler, but probably yes). That being said, having him on a 4th line in a checking role is pointless because his girly shoulder can't throw or take a check, so where does he go? I wouldn't substitute anyone out of the top 9 for him. I wouldn't put him on the PK instead of Konopka or Daugavins. Where does he fit in?

Ultimately, I would not be prepared to waste one of the 50 pro contracts that the Sens have on a guy like Regin. I'd rather sign a prospect and let them develop in the AHL. The current roster is great without Regin, and I am hard pressed to see how they would be better with him in the line-up, especuially when Winchester comes back and bumps Daugavins from the top 12.

In the current roster, including prospects who are in the system and could push for a spot next year, who would you take out to give Regin a spot?

Michalek - Spezza - Greening ... none of these guys
Condra - Turris - Alfie ... nope
Foligno - Smith - Neil ... not suited to this style of play
Daugavins - Konopka/Winchester - Butler ... maybe here to replace Butler, but what's the point? You won't get much more production from Regin if he were on this line. Daugavins, Konopka and Winchester all have a role that they play well (PK, important faceoffs and defensive play...and enforcer for Konopka). Regin has no role and his weak-sauce shoulder won't allow him to take faceoffs.

Zibanejad, Silfverberg, DaCosta, even Filatov are all better options than Regin, in my opinion.

I'd slot Regin ahead of O'Brien and Hoffman.

There. he's better than 2 prospects. Let's give him a million dollars!

Old
01-19-2012, 09:36 AM
jbeck5

Quote:

I'm not disputing that Regin has shown that he can be a very effective player, but that was 2 years ago, on Spezza's wing. He's been useless since then. I will concede that his ineffective play is mostly due to injuries, but he's arguably not good enough to be top 6 on this team, definitely not good enough to bump anyone off Spezza's line, and he's not suited to the checking style of play that the team expects from the bottom 6 players. Regardless of his skill level, being durable enough to last more than 20 games a season is an important factor to consider. If it wasn't, and everyone gave contracts away based on skill alone, Pascale Leclaire would have an NHL job right now. Hey, by your logic, the Sens should dump Auld and sign Leclaire as the backup! He hasn't played in over a year, but a few years ago he had a lot of shutouts, so he's obviously better. Let's sign him!! Yay! It's fun giving out contracts based on past performances that you haven't come close to matching in 2+ years, but heck, you'll be cheap! Who needs to develop prospects and young players when you can have weak, ineffective, injury prone players taking up contracts!

I have watched how good this team is. I watch every game. And guess what, this team is effing great without Regin in the line-up. Not sure where you're going with that point. Also, you're assuming that his rehab from this injury will go well. Not to burst your bubble, but this is, as far as i know, his 2nd surgery on his shoulder and no one knows for sure how the surgery will go, or how strong his shoulder will be once it is done. Having surgery doesn not mean that he will recover back to 100%. I see that you said "if" when assessing his rehab, but that's a very big "if" in my opinion.

In terms of skill, yes, he is better than Konopka and Daugavins (arguable with Butler, but probably yes). That being said, having him on a 4th line in a checking role is pointless because his girly shoulder can't throw or take a check, so where does he go? I wouldn't substitute anyone out of the top 9 for him. I wouldn't put him on the PK instead of Konopka or Daugavins. Where does he fit in?

Ultimately, I would not be prepared to waste one of the 50 pro contracts that the Sens have on a guy like Regin. I'd rather sign a prospect and let them develop in the AHL. The current roster is great without Regin, and I am hard pressed to see how they would be better with him in the line-up, especuially when Winchester comes back and bumps Daugavins from the top 12.

In the current roster, including prospects who are in the system and could push for a spot next year, who would you take out to give Regin a spot?

Daugavins - Konopka/Winchester - Butler ... maybe here to replace Butler, but what's the point? You won't get much more production from Regin if he were on this line. Daugavins, Konopka and Winchester all have a role that they play well (PK, important faceoffs and defensive play...and enforcer for Konopka). Regin has no role and his weak-sauce shoulder won't allow him to take faceoffs.

Zibanejad, Silfverberg, DaCosta, even Filatov are all better options than Regin, in my opinion.

Or he's a realist who see's it as is?

Regin doesn't have to be top 6 or bust. I don't know where you get this from. Our bottom 6 doesn't have to be 6 big checkers. We can have skill and scoring on all 4 lines. Regin is the perfect 3rd line player.

Your leclaire rant is hilarious. Leclaire wasn't just unhealthy...he was bad. When regin played this year, he was one of if not our best forward. He was creating chances right and left and great defensively. You must have short selective memory.

You talk about surgery's as if they're a bad thing. In a lot of cases, they're awesome! especially when you're young.

Ask michalek how his knees feel and he'll tell you better then ever. I've had surgery on my ankle. The first year it's all stiff, but i wasn't rehabbing it at all. But after the first year, it's like when i was a kid again. it's perfect. My dad got 2 surgeries on both his elbows in his 40s. He injured them doing weights...too much strain on his weak elbows. Gets surgery on both, and now in his 50s can lift more weight then ever.

These guys are getting surgery from the best surgeons with the best rehab. Most cases where there is constant injuries is because the player pushes too hard and is too eager to get back into it. If you take the proper steps and wait a year to heal, it usually comes back fairly strong. Also depends on the type of surgery too.

You're just putting way too much negative emphasis on his surgery. Michalek had succesful surgery and came back strong. Alfredsson had surgery and came back strong.

You wouldn't put him on the pk over daugavins or konopka? Talk about what have you done for me lately. Regin is more intelligent then both of them at both ends of the ice...combined. Regin is also faster. Regin is a way better PKer them them.

Regin>winchester
Regin>konopka
Regin> Daugavins

Where are you coming up with all this stuff? Do you not watch? Regin can skate circles around them. Remember, regin was the guy with more offensive/defensive upside but less physicality then foligno.

Right now, regin is better then all the prospect you named...filly,dac,silf, and zib

I honestly don't understand how you came to your opinion.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:40 AM
jbeck5

Quote:

Flash in the pan meaning "shown success once?" ERRR WRONG. He has shown to be succesfull many times. Not only in the playoffs. Maybe you should watch more sens games. Regin was on fire to start the year. He speeds by defenders like its nothing. He has some of the better dangles on our team. Great vision. He makes passes in the offensive zone that the majority of our team CANT do. He also is usually the first backchecker on his line even when paired with defensive players. He has speed to burn. But no you're right, let's keep winchester in that spot instead.

No one would be dumb enough to think the best you could get is a conditional 7th...

He's not good enough anymore? NOW you're saying he's regressed?

Wow, you're hate on for regin is extremely evident.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:50 AM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:

The Boston Bruins are great, the Canucks are great, we are not "great." Adding more good players to the lineup makes us better, such as adding a guy like Regin.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:05 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
I have watched how good this team is. I watch every game. And guess what, this team is effing great without Regin in the line-up.
makes no sense to me.
the team is good without one of it's better forwards, so it doesn't need him anymore?
the team is "effing great" without silfverberg, zibanejad, stone, prince, noesen,..........

poor guys thought they had a shot
sorry. effing great without you.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:33 AM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

I see Murray giving Regin a qualifying offer, why wouldn't he? There is no reason not to hold onto him. If he gets trumped by graduating prospects next season you have the option to trade him.

PoutineSp00nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:52 AM
Karlstrobe
Lazer Lazar

Regin makes this team better ainec! Maclean has said before he is a good proven nhl player, I'll take his word over anyone elses. Slot him on the 3rd line with Foligno - Smith - Regin and watch how better our team is. Condra bumps Konopka on the 4th and bam. Resign him please!

Karlstrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:45 AM
Xspyrit

No idea if Regin will be-resigned...

Silfverberg-Spezza-Michalek
Regin-Turris-Alfredsson
Foligno-Zibanejad-Neil
Greening-Smith-Condra
Butler

IMO, it depends if Petersson and/or Stone (could also be guys like Da Costa, Noesen, Hoffman...) make the team and what kind of impact they can have. But he won't be let go for nothing. He's still an asset and NHL scouts are not blind, Regin is a quality player when healthy.

Xspyrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:53 AM
Billy Madison*

Unless they trade his rights by July 1 he won't be resigned.

Billy Madison* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:19 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Madison View Post
You may be right, however Regin is better than Winchester, Konopka, or Butler, brings more skill than Condra or Foligno, so if he is willing to take a role position with the team Murray will make an offer.

The only question about Regin is whether his shoulder injury is classified as chronic, if not, he can play and play very well in the NHL.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:21 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
No idea if Regin will be-resigned...

Silfverberg-Spezza-Michalek
Regin-Turris-Alfredsson
Foligno-Zibanejad-Neil
Greening-Smith-Condra
Butler

IMO, it depends if Petersson and/or Stone (could also be guys like Da Costa, Noesen, Hoffman...) make the team and what kind of impact they can have. But he won't be let go for nothing. He's still an asset and NHL scouts are not blind, Regin is a quality player when healthy.
We almost agreed here but at least we have all of the same players. BTW where is Filatov? If he returns to NA he could replace Regin, although I would keep Regin over him.

Greening - Spezza - Michalek - Greening has 24 pts half way through his rookie yr
Regin - Turris - Alfredson/Butler - if Alfie retires, Butler who is a sniper replaces him
Foligno - Z. Smith - Condra - Condra & Neil could easily trade places
Silfverberg - Zibanejad - Neil - let these two learn the NA game from the 4th line like Couturier is. As they get better they can move up.

aragorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:27 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Madison View Post
I doubt that's accurate. He'a a MacLean style of player, Mac obviously liked him pre-injury, the cost of signing this guy won't be more than 1 million and he can easily be used up and down the lineup.

We'll re-sign, you don't toss a cheap, useful, talented RFA aside for no reason. Makes no sense.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:28 PM
Zorf

I don't hate Regin, I just think his time with the Senators is done. I'm actually shocked that me saying he is all but done with this team has produced such a strong response from people. He doesn't do anything special for this team, and he's obviously easily replaced, as evidenced by the play of the Senators this year without him in the lineup.

If the majority of people see Silfverberg and Zibanejad having very good chances of cracking the lineup next year, with Da Costa waiting in the wings, and with Filatov having a relatively outside chance of getting in, I just don't see the need to keep an injury prone player like Regin around when the contract he is taking up can be used to sign someone else. Keep in mind that teams only have 50 contracts to hand out, so why use one on a player who, for all intents and purposes, isn't needed anymore because his spot has already been replaced?

He is a natural centre and he for sure isn't going to bump any of the top 3 centres (Spezza, Turris, Smith), and he's not suited to the 4th line checking role, so he doesn't fit there. He might be able to sneak in on the wing, but he will be in for a dog fight with Michalek, Greening, Condra, Foligno, Alfie (if he doesn't retire), Neil, Butler, Zibanejad, Silfverberg, and Filatov to land a spot in the top 9, not to mention other players who will warrant a decent look in camp like Hoffman and maybe Stone, Prince, Noesen, etc., even though those guys are probably all Bingo bound. I just don't think it makes sense to have a soft player like Regin play on the 4th line in a checking role, even if he has more offensive skill than Daugavins, Winchester and Konopka. They aren't really there to score. They are there to cycle the puck, check hard, be responsible defensively, win key faceoffs, maintain a high level of physical play and wear down the opposing d-men. Regin is not at all the guy you want playing that role.

And let's be honest here, he's not the type of player who can generate offense himself, so if he isn't on a top line, or even an offensive one, he's not going to do much. He's got skill, but not enough to make other players better. Kind of a dime-a-dozen player, really.

I'm of the opinion that the Sens should trade him for whatever they can get (and it won't be much), or just release him and bid him good riddance because the team is able to move on without him and they can use his contract space to either bring in a UFA or sign someone to develop in Bingo.