HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Peter Regin (season ending shoulder surgery)

Old
12-22-2011, 11:09 AM
Do Make Say Think

vCash: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
Would rather have Da Costa than Regin at this point. Even though he's small he can at least take a hit. Plus he's been good in Bingo so far.

Yeah he's garnered a lot of unwarranted hype on this board for a while now.
Of all the people to say something like this! Hahahaha.

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:10 AM
Minister of Offence

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFactor View Post
That's highly debatable:

Year Team League GP G A PTS +/-
2011-12 Ottawa NHL 10 2 2 4 3
2010-11 Ottawa NHL 55 3 14 17 -4
2009-10 Ottawa NHL 75 13 16 29 10

Looks pretty average. I think he's way overhyped. But that's me.
That speaks for half of his game, Regin's best qualities would be his compete level and willingness to engage in battles. Plays with speed all over the ice.

He's not a 2nd line C as he's had ample opportunity to be put in that role and the numbers don't add up. He's not an ideal checking line C either.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:16 AM
Do Make Say Think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
That speaks for half of his game, Regin's best qualities would be his compete level and willingness to engage in battles. Plays with speed all over the ice.

He's not a 2nd line C as he's had ample opportunity to be put in that role and the numbers don't add up. He's not an ideal checking line C either.
He's a good skater, smart player, good compete and willing to play 200 feet. He's a solid player outside of his injury issues, which will most likely put an end to his short NHL career. It sucks.

HIs numbers weren't great but I still think he could have become a decent 2nd line centre, but now that Turris is in Ottawa and that Regin is on his way out things look set.

Old
12-22-2011, 11:21 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
Of all the people to say something like this! Hahahaha.
Dude should just shutup and be friendly for a while and hope people forget all the crap he's littered his post history with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
He's a good skater, smart player, good compete and willing to play 200 feet. He's a solid player outside of his injury issues, which will most likely put an end to his short NHL career. It sucks.

HIs numbers weren't great but I still think he could have become a decent 2nd line centre, but now that Turris is in Ottawa and that Regin is on his way out things look set.
He can play #2C, because he can play defense against anyone and hold tight. To me, he'll never be an ideal scoring line center because he doesn't have much for offensive instincts, finishing ability, or passing ability. He's got similarities to a Magnus Paajarvi in my eyes. Serviceable player that can play throughout lineup, but not ideal in scoring roles....just a patch hole if scoring players are out with injury.

Old
12-22-2011, 11:23 AM
MandyAlwaysKnows
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:

I think he is. Great speed and compete level. Terrific defensive player. Putting him in the middle with his bad shoulder over a guy like Smith on the shutdown line I think is a good indication that the team likes him in that role also.

MandyAlwaysKnows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:23 AM
Tundraman
Survivalist

What bugs me is that the Sens let him play when he couldn't fore check along the boards or hit anyone. They put him at centre to shield him but they knew he couldn't take draws and they had to move another natural centre to wing to accommodate him. My goodness he couldn't even bump someone without risking injury to himself. A moderate hit at centre ice seems to be all it took to put him back on the injury list. It's not like they didn't have extra bodies when they brought him back and even when they ran into other injuries they could have called someone up.

Tundraman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:25 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sens11 View Post
I think he is. Great speed and compete level. Terrific defensive player. Putting him in the middle with his bad shoulder over a guy like Smith on the shutdown line I think is a good indication that the team likes him in that role also.
And then he gets hurt. Rather have someone rugged unless it's someone like Kelly who's cant miss in the role. Regin can do it...but ideally it's someone better.

Old
12-22-2011, 11:31 AM
MandyAlwaysKnows
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
And then he gets hurt. Rather have someone rugged unless it's someone like Kelly who's cant miss in the role. Regin can do it...but ideally it's someone better.
Well when he's doing it imo we can't ask for anyone better. Whether he has a better chance at getting hurt in that role I don't know. I guess it's better to rely on someone who isn't as injury prone.

MandyAlwaysKnows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:35 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristqc View Post
What's with the hype behind Regin anyway? Hasn't he showed flashes in only one streak of 14 games in 2010? That's a rather small sample in my opinion. He's a waste of a valuable roster spot.
The real waste of a valuable roster spot is Butler.

The Sens knew it was a risky proposition for Regin to attempt to rehabilitate his shoulder instead of opting for surgery. However the Sens allowed Regin to pursue rehabilitation because to the team the risk was ZERO, since the surgery option meant the season was lost.

I am sure the team will have all the information they need from the doctors to decide how to proceed with Peter.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:37 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

you could see it was an injury just waiting to happen with him sneaking around the ice trying not to get hurt.

i do not understand why the hell he was playing like that.

when he is healthy, he is one of our best forwards. problem is he's almost never healthy. (last year does not count. for the last time. every player on the team SUCKED. can't use his numbers from last season as evidence he is not a 2nd line player)

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:49 AM
CanadianHockey
On the Alfie Wagon

vCash: 2391
Needs to ditch 13 and go back to 43.

12-22-2011, 11:50 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Excuse me... when?

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:52 AM
Tundraman
Survivalist

In real life situations we have empathy and accommodate those less able but this is sports. It's survival of the fittest. The Sens went too far out of their way with Regin. I won't deny his talent whether he deserves the 2C or not. When he's healthy this guy can play the boards, skate, hit, check, make plays, drive the net and even score some nice goals whether playing left wing or centre.

He's not the first guy to play with a shoulder injury but in most cases these were well hidden until after the season. Fisher played like that. We noticed his game had declined but the injury was hidden. Regin's injury is well documented so he couldn't hide it from anyone who would target it.

The player shares the blame but I also fault the team. In the state he was in he couldn't do anything normal except maybe skate. For me, there is no way he should have been put on the ice in his condition.

Tundraman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:53 AM
Xspyrit

Damnit.

I'm disappointed. Always been a fan of Regin but another season going down the drain

Oh well, he tried to play but his shoulder is ****ed up for the year, he has to go through surgery and rehabilitation, no choice.

Hopefully, the Red Wings pick him up this summer! Not sure if the Sens will continue to "try" and develop him.

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:57 AM
Cujomi
Show your fury?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWP View Post
you could see it was an injury just waiting to happen with him sneaking around the ice trying not to get hurt.

i do not understand why the hell he was playing like that.

when he is healthy, he is one of our best forwards. problem is he's almost never healthy. (last year does not count. for the last time. every player on the team SUCKED. can't use his numbers from last season as evidence he is not a 2nd line player)
When has he ever been one of our best forwards for a consistent period of time?

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:59 AM
N Bahn Ahden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristqc View Post
What's with the hype behind Regin anyway? Hasn't he showed flashes in only one streak of 14 games in 2010? That's a rather small sample in my opinion. He's a waste of a valuable roster spot.
Hype? There hasn't been hype around Regin since the summer of 2010, post playoffs.

Regin is a very solid hockey player. MacLean regularly praises him, because he plays a complete game, and is about as versatile a forward as we have. We're a worse team with him out of the lineup.

N Bahn Ahden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:03 PM
Do Make Say Think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
Damnit.

I'm disappointed. Always been a fan of Regin but another season going down the drain

Oh well, he tried to play but his shoulder is ****ed up for the year, he has to go through surgery and rehabilitation, no choice.

Hopefully, the Red Wings pick him up this summer! Not sure if the Sens will continue to "try" and develop him.
He would indeed be a great fit for the Red Wings... It would be nice to see him end up in Motown healthy and play to his ability!

Old
12-22-2011, 12:11 PM
Capital O TEETEE 613
Sensored

vCash: 50
Regin seems like a great guy, but he's not a great hockey player. Yes he's good defensively, but thats not enough.

140 games and 18 goals, hell anyone here could lace up the skates and score that many goals.

This team is better without him.

Capital O TEETEE 613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:16 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
When has he ever been one of our best forwards for a consistent period of time?
Playing with foligno and kovalev, in the playoffs, the beginning of this year.
Basically, whenever he is healthy.

I love how the knock on regin is that he doesn't have any points. But Turris is a 2nd line superstar.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:17 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalott613 View Post
Regin seems like a great guy, but he's not a great hockey player. Yes he's good defensively, but thats not enough.

140 games and 18 goals, hell anyone here could lace up the skates and score that many goals.

Kyle Turris has 19 goals in 138 games.

I hope you realize that you just called him **** too and that a hoard of screeching harpies are about to come by and pelt you to death with Timbits.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:23 PM
tubby

Poor Regin. Goodbye...

tubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:25 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

This was just a question of when not if the injury would happen. It was never 100% and can only be repaired by surgery. He took a chance to earn another NHL contract and that looks to have turn out to be a bad decision.

I'm a fan of his but this shoulder issue is something that is never going away unless he can find a miracle working surgeon to completely rebuild his glenoid labrum.

FolignoQuantumLeap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:26 PM
Capital O TEETEE 613
Sensored

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post

I hope you realize that you just called him **** too and that a hoard of screeching harpies are about to come by and pelt you to death with Timbits.
Hopefully Turris can turn his career around because those stats just dont cut it.

Capital O TEETEE 613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:31 PM
Cujomi
Show your fury?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWP View Post
Playing with foligno and kovalev, in the playoffs, the beginning of this year.
Basically, whenever he is healthy.

I love how the knock on regin is that he doesn't have any points. But Turris is a 2nd line superstar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post

I believe the difference is 3 years and a ton of upside. Kyle Turris is already a better player than Regin, and he has been seen, for years, as having top end potential. Regin has never had that kind of potential, and he was never projected as being a 2nd line centre. He is a useful tweener that is a versatile forward so yeah if he was healthy he could have contributed...but he's very fragile.

Also Kyle Turris put up most of those stats as a 19 year old and then 21 year old...Regin didn't break into the league until he was 22.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:37 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalott613 View Post

Look, I didn't think Regin was the answer to our 2nd line center issues either, but this is just a silly thing to say.

We're a better team with a healthy Regin in the lineup. I can't see how you could see this injury, and his absence from the team, as a plus.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote