HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Burke on Prime Time Sports

Old
09-28-2011, 07:06 PM
arrbez
bad chi

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steams12 View Post
So Burkie says Komisarek had a good final 20 games and a good world tourny? Wasen't he injured for the tournament? Does anyone have his stats for the last 20 games? I smell BS
It looks like he was a +1 with 0 points and 29 PIM (25 of those came from majors) over his last 20 games last season. It's not something I noticed at the time, but I guess taking just 2 minor penalties over his last 20 games is a pretty solid improvement in that department.

He did play in the Worlds, it was the Olympics he was hurt for.

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 07:09 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsin2011 View Post
Well I don't agree and neither does Burke and he's the boss. Maybe that's why you whine and cry on message boards and BB runs the team.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 07:11 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
He has to say good things about his guy...even he knows Komi sucks right now.
Ya, what's he going to say "Yes Bob, I don't know why I overpaid for the guy, my biggest regret". Notice how he now says Beauch didn't work out, just WATCH after Komi is gone, it will be "it never worked out here for him". Until Komi is gone, Burke will NEVER throw him under the bus, so people quoting him as evidence of how wonderful he is, I mean HONESTLY.

Burke would still make the Kessel trade too! Geez.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 07:11 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
Burke doesn't own the team and he still has to answer to the board . How could he justify giving RW an extension during the summer based on the teams performance under Wilson .BB goes on and on how coaching wasn't a problem yet he had no trouble dumping the 2 asst's . So if we get off to a 4 and 0 start like last year does that mean RW gets his extension . BB didn't lay out what he believes is the criteria for a new deal.

Also does he actual think people believe he bs about Komi ?
Somebody send for a Waaah-bulance.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 07:15 PM
Volcanologist
Used Register

The problem with Gardiner-Komisarek is that two of Aulie, Gunnarsson, and Franson will have to sit in the pressbox. I definitely want Gardiner on the team, at least for his 9 game tryout to see if he can hack it, but at the price of sitting two other young guys who deserve and need to play? Not sure Burke can really afford to do that.

Volcanologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 07:17 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Don't underestimate Burkes influence around the League. He'd stop at nothing to protect his long time love.
You're smarter than this.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 07:20 PM
ACC1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Buff View Post
You're smarter than this.
Apparently not when it comes to sarcasm.

ACC1224 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 07:29 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Apparently not when it comes to sarcasm.

I guess communication skills are lacking. Or perhaps I just think everything over here is gutter material.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 07:34 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 5965
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
Somebody send for a Waaah-bulance.
Oh baby what a witty reply .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 07:51 PM
LeeIs
M a t s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
The problem with Gardiner-Komisarek is that two of Aulie, Gunnarsson, and Franson will have to sit in the pressbox. I definitely want Gardiner on the team, at least for his 9 game tryout to see if he can hack it, but at the price of sitting two other young guys who deserve and need to play? Not sure Burke can really afford to do that.
I could be wrong, but I think the 9 game thing is for minor league kids from ohl, chl, etc. I don't think it matters for pro players (AHL). If he's in the AHL he could be sent down and brought back up all year long without any problems, from what I understand.

Old
09-28-2011, 07:56 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeIs View Post
I could be wrong, but I think the 9 game thing is for minor league kids from ohl, chl, etc. I don't think it matters for pro players (AHL). If he's in the AHL he could be sent down and brought back up all year long without any problems, from what I understand.
That is correct.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
I think that the easiest decision for Burke is to send Gardiner down. Then he only has to sit one D-man per night and he can rotate them.

I think more than likely we'll see Franson sit the first game. Then Komisarek and Gunnarsson paired together (Gunnarsson is good at covering the mistakes of others). But Komi will get about 10 minutes per game whereas Gunnarsson will play the PK and with Phaneuf occasionally.

080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 07:59 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
It looks like he was a +1 with 0 points and 29 PIM (25 of those came from majors) over his last 20 games last season. It's not something I noticed at the time, but I guess taking just 2 minor penalties over his last 20 games is a pretty solid improvement in that department.

He did play in the Worlds, it was the Olympics he was hurt for.
+1 with zero points? That's terrible considering who his partner was.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 08:15 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
Ahh yes, the Getzlaf/Perry bull sht line again. They played 17 and 19 games in the AHL for crying out loud.
lol so true

Burkie works the Toronto media like bag pipes i love it!

Rockinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 08:16 PM
Leafs24Seven*

Lets hope so! Wilson is the man to lead this team, sorry for all who disagree but these guys have played their hearts out for him in every game last season. If he was such a horrible coach/leader, they would have given up so he'd be fired. I say this all the time but NOBODY here knows what that dressing room is like, they respect coach Wilson and it shows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
Burke says he didn't give Wilson the pieces yet he had no problem letting go 2 of his asst's ? Burke sounds like he'll use any excuse to reward his BFF with a new deal .

Leafs24Seven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 08:20 PM
Leafs24Seven*

From what Burke said today, and unless Gardiner plays horrible the last 2 preseason games, it will be like this opening night.

Phaneuf/Aulie
Schenn/Liles
Gardiner/Komiserak
(Franson and Gunner in the press box)

Leafs24Seven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 08:39 PM
ACC1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Buff View Post

I guess communication skills are lacking. Or perhaps I just think everything over here is gutter material.
Easy mistake to make. Hard to find the good apples when the most of the bushel is rotten.

ACC1224 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 08:59 PM
ExtremeShooter
Rookie User

Is there a link by chance?

ExtremeShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 09:01 PM
ExtremeShooter
Rookie User

http://www.fan590.com/media.jsp?cont...28_172601_3928

ExtremeShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 09:23 PM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs24Seven View Post
From what Burke said today, and unless Gardiner plays horrible the last 2 preseason games, it will be like this opening night.

Phaneuf/Aulie
Schenn/Liles
Gardiner/Komiserak
(Franson and Gunner in the press box)
What in the world has Aulie done to deserve his spot over Gunnar and, much less so, Franson.

shakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 09:27 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
If I was Burke, I wouldn't give Bob McCown the time of day. This guy bashes the Leafs (and Burke for that matter) every chance he gets.
The worst thing is, McCown never watches hockey. He had no idea who Burke was talking about.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 09:30 PM
JB Maple Leafs

I think we all know that Burke is shopping a D-Man. The only way that a Gardiner-Komisarek pairing like Burke suggested would work is if Cody Franson is the D-Man moving out - and I don't think that would happen unless it was in a package for a Big Time Centre....(maybe Spezza?)

You would have to send Aulie down to play left D with Blacker for the Marlies (what a pairing for the future!)

Trade Franson in a package for an impact forward up front. Then you're pairings would look like this:
Gunner - Phaneuf
Liles - Schenn
Gardiner - Komisarek

Future Pairings for next year if you could trade Komisarek after a bounce back season:
Gunner - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Schenn
Aulie - Blacker

If Franson could be packaged with Bozak to get Spezza then Burke could justify trading him as a building block move for something better.
Then your forward lines would be like this:
Lupul - Spezza - Kessel (Wow)
Macarthur - Grabo - Kulemin (say no more)
Lombardi - Connolly - Armstrong (a defensively responsible 3rd line with speed and scoring punch!)
Brown - Boyce - Orr

Interesting things to think about but Franson on this team as a Right D makes Komisarek not playing unless their is injury. Wilson does have a defensive conudrum on his hands so it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

JB Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 09:53 PM
leafsfuture

Will make this very clear: There is no such thing as a 9 game tryout to pro players. Gardiner is too old to play junior, even if he wanted too.

Secondly, Burke wants players to dominate the AHL before they come up. Despite the fact that Perry and Getzlaf played under 20 games, they both had over 33 pts. Thats pretty dominant

Third, Burke has to support veteran players. If you ask him what he though about Finger, he would say "I thought he played well, but there are too many guys ahead of him". It appears that Komisarek has been stripped of his A, so its clearly a statement (by Wilson) that he has underperformed

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 11:25 PM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
Yes that has been McCown's schtick for some time. All tough and full of bluster until he has the guest i.e.Burke, Bettman then it is one giant suck-up. He really is grossly over-rated !!! He has no intregrity! He is more of a sham than the suits he always criticizes as he tries to be so GQ cool!
you may not like the Bobcat and thats fine but I think your brush is miscolouring the picture you've painted here.

Somehow when Bob called Bettman a liar ON AIR I doubt his intention was to suck up, there is a reason good ol Gary doesn't do the show anymore

As far as Burke goes, the two believe it or not are friends, it was Bob afterall who convinced Brian to come back on the 590 after the non-sense caused by the Dbag known as Andrew Krystal, I for one am glad they fired that *****.

Burke can take criticism when it's fair, but bashing Burke blindly is not something the Bobcat does, what he does do is rail against the powers that be at MLS&E. The two are mutually exclusive even if they're involved in the smae aims. McCown has a well known dislike for Tanenbaum that goes back years to the Stavros days and why he's rarely if ever on the show, Peddie however does make an appearence from time to time and the two of them aren't exactly friendly.

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 11:30 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
That is correct.
GIFSoup

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote