HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Learning to Fly. West Jet Oilers style. RNH at helm!

Old
09-28-2011, 05:40 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Learning to Fly. West Jet Oilers style. RNH at helm!

No this isn't a thread on a great deal to Maui. Although thats worthy in its own right.

This is a nod to the past, with an argument for the present.

The dynasty Oilers built quickly around Wayne Gretzky and surrounded him with talent. within a couple draft years we had a nucleus of players consisting of Gretz, Mess, Coffey, Kurri, Anderson, Fuhr, Lowe, that would propel us to championships.

But a key part of that build was good players becoming great through contact with players like Gretzky, who developed preparation, commitment, attention to detail like Gretzky.
Of that Nucleus only Grant Fuhr, and Paul Coffey were high 1st round picks and highly sought after players. The others were good players that did a lot of good growing here. For instance anybody that saw Mark Messier with the St Albert Saints or in the WHA would be surprised at the production and career he had. Mark himself would be surprised and never expected it. He became a much better player through association.
What happened at that time is a well selected squad developed championship traits, qualities, expectations, experience, and became much more than the sum of their parts.
This was largely achieved through proximity, tightness, and incubating the whole nucleus TOGETHER in one place, one time, under careful guidance.

Were there many burps raising a relative NHL daycare? Damned straight, but those experiences, and the players being together, learning together, helped develop skills and teamplay that would not be seen otherwise.

These were special times. YOu could watch this team practice at WEM and think you were viewing the Red Army club practicing drills and throwing the puck around. This team would execute faster breakouts than anything you'd ever seen. Whether or not they were the best team on the ice yet or not their practices were scintillating and at a pace that no other team in the world could pull off. Your jaw would drop just seeing these players comfortable with each other, knowing what each other is doing, and continually driving each other harder.

Today we have the closest team we've ever had to that legendary club and I think the same development can apply.
I feel that our present nucleus benefits MORE by being together and playing with each other as elite players growing their game, and club, than if you separate some of these guys for a period of time. I feel that timing and bonding are critical and that we should keep as many young stars up as possible. In this way Hall benefits immediately from RNH and vice versa, Eberle benefits, Paajarvi benefits, and with all having the assistance of premier talent leading the way in the premier league on the planet.

Grow all these young turks together from the outset and they make each other better from the start and help the team succeed from the start. The Oilers added Glenn Anderson and Jari Kurri to the mix soon after drafting them. I think the recipe for players now should be similar. Keep RNH up, give Harti, Lander, as much time up with the show as possible.
Let these very good players have the chance of making each other great from the outset.
A player with a certain level of talent arguably becomes better when they are playing with, and against, some of the top talent in the world. We have the types of players that are good enough to withstand that and want that. WE have key players in the lineup to help the youth grow right now. None better than Smyth.

I think growing the elite HERE is the way to go. Nobody in that nucleus is going to drown from this day forward as a collective. But they will learn one hell of a lot from being here together that could fastrack their development, teamplay, and building something special.

Last edited by Replacement: 09-29-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 05:46 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

uh....

West jet> Air Canada.

Tad Mikowsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 05:52 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Only problem is right now we don't have that Paul Coffey of the group.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 06:10 PM
Lowe in Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Only problem is right now we don't have that Paul Coffey of the group.
Ryan Whitney. End of story.

Lowe in Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 06:11 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe in Oil View Post
Ryan Whitney. End of story.
If he can start playing 72+ games a season.

Also I meant he wasn't homegrown here and raised from the draft.

However he made his mark when he came in and started kicking some ***** in the locker room.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 06:14 PM
Lowe in Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
If he can start playing 72+ games a season.

Also I meant he wasn't homegrown here and raised from the draft.

However he made his mark when he came in and started kicking some ***** in the locker room.
Ahhh homegrown, yes.... that may be in the works with Musil or Klefbom. It remains to be seen. Petry is also showing Top-4 potential. It's not Coffey-like, but for a 3rd round pick, I'll take it anyday.

Old
09-28-2011, 07:01 PM
Xelebes

vCash: 692
Is Fedun the next Lowe?

Xelebes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 07:01 PM
Wretched Oil

vCash: 50
cool,

I can imagine the fun they'll have growing up together, but I wonder if they'll party like the old-time oilers?

Wretched Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 07:26 PM
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
Is Fedun the next Lowe?
You pencilling him in for one of the worst GMs in the league in 2040?

That's probably too much pressure to put on Fedun, to be honest...

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 07:37 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
uh....

West jet> Air Canada.
Only local. AC is solid international. But it's not fair bc west jet is not international lol

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 07:42 PM
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
Only local. AC is solid international. But it's not fair bc west jet is not international lol
WestJet is. They fly to the US!

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 08:28 PM
Fourier

I think you just made a strong case for why I think RNH stays with the big club this year.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 08:34 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
I think you just made a strong case for why I think RNH stays with the big club this year.
Yep, thats my long winded argument for it.

I think if he missed out this season here it will set things back for everybody.

The shortened version of my OP being that these guys all get better quicker with rather than without each other. The more pillars holding this thing up the faster it gets built.

RNH is a pillar.

Already. Its quite possible he's the best player on this club right now. I almost think Hall et al could be adversely impacted by NOT having every great hand on the deck right now.

Hall had to much pressure last year. RNH comes in at a better time. No great reason not to do it.

Old
09-28-2011, 08:42 PM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

Wow. One solid game and he's best player on the team. Especially when we played what should be the worst team in the league.

/pessimism

Overall, I agree with your statement. The kids growing together when they're all ready is critical. It allows them to build familiarity, support, trust and chemistry. I hope RNH is ready, I really do. I'm just willing to wait and see how he does during his first nine games.

Also, really don't want to make this a Gagner thread, but do you think he could be a pillar? He's 22 and already essentially a veteran. He's the most experienced of the young guys, does he have a role to play if he establishes himself as a 55~ point second line center?

Gobo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 08:50 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
Wow. One solid game and he's best player on the team. Especially when we played what should be the worst team in the league.

/pessimism

Overall, I agree with your statement. The kids growing together when they're all ready is critical. It allows them to build familiarity, support, trust and chemistry. I hope RNH is ready, I really do. I'm just willing to wait and see how he does during his first nine games.

Also, really don't want to make this a Gagner thread, but do you think he could be a pillar? He's 22 and already essentially a veteran. He's the most experienced of the young guys, does he have a role to play if he establishes himself as a 55~ point second line center?
First of all I've been an RNH fan for a longtime. He see's the game at an elite level. He was seeing it that way in Jr. imo.

I would say Him and Eberle probably think the game the best of the youngsters on this team. Hall and MPs have great skills/speed and open things up like dragsters.

Sure I could see Gagner, Omark, in the mix as I also mentioned Harti who is more on that level than the higher echelon.

I think we've got 4 young forwards here that are special, quite a few more that have the potential to be part of the core going forward, and some vets that are now the right type of vet forwards to have to complement the whole mix.

We don't have sheltering in terms of top pairing D, or great goaltending. But we've got enough in place now to provide the umbrellas. Or parachutes

Old
09-28-2011, 09:12 PM
Fourier

It was not all roses the first few years in the NHL as I am sure you remember. There were stretches where guys like Messier looked like it was not going to work out. And there were nights that the team got a real lesson in how the game is played.

I think you are right that the fact that they experienced the high's and lows together contributed to how each grew as individuals. (Of course they had Gretzky, an advantage that cannot be overstated.) But it also shaped the room in a way that helped them figure out what it really takes to beat a great team like the Islanders.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 09:22 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Some good reflection on the past and how it can be considered a good arguement for the future (now)! Other interesting pieces are DD, Petry, and even Peckham. Regarding DD, it could be a good thing, weither intentional or not, that Tambo signed Kabby and possibly saw the growth potential of Dubnyk in that scenario.

We've also seen other teams grow like this in Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh etc.

Dorian2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 09:30 PM
cheesed-off*

I like this thread.

You can't tell me it hasn't crossed the mind of Kevin Lowe that we may be close to re-creating the Boys on the Bus.

And like you said, it's the closest we've come to that, and I think the closest any team in the league has ever come to that.

As long as a reasonable number of players pan out as hoped, and as long as CONTRACTS are managed wisely, we can recreate the past.

Chicago was coming close - could have been a dynasty - but lost it due to poor contracts.

I hope the guys in the room realize how lucky they are, and sacrifice a bit of money to keep the team together.

Finally, after reading Stafford's stories on the Oilers' dressing room, I realized how intense they were. I mean, I always thought K-Lowe was an intense but controlled personality. Now I can see he is an intense and at times out-of-control personality (Smashing property? Attacking trainers? Wow.)

I agree fully that excellence breeds excellence, more so if the members of the team live and breathe the team first, rather than their own individual circumstances first...

cheesed-off* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 12:11 AM
Lowe in Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo View Post

/pessimism

Wasn't that what happened when Hartikainen had one good pre-season game?

Old
09-29-2011, 12:22 AM
Perfect_Drug

Posted this in the other thread:
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/stats/l...yearly/PTS/NHL

No Ovechkin, Datsyuk, or Sedins.

Just RNH, followed by Matt Read and POS.

What that means, is pre-season means absolutely jack squat. Lets see how he does his first 9 games before we say he's the best player. I think over/under is still 50/50 that he's sent down after 9.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 12:34 AM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
First of all I've been an RNH fan for a longtime. He see's the game at an elite level. He was seeing it that way in Jr. imo.
I wasn't trying to say anything about that. All I was saying was it's a bit premature to say he's the best player on our team.

Let him play his 9 games, see how he does. Then decide.

Gobo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 12:43 AM
IV XIV XCI

This may have been your most positive post. Ever.

I like it.

And you didn't criticize any Oilers!

IV XIV XCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 01:11 AM
millpoo

Great argument.

Hall, Eberle et al. will improve faster with the best available line mates. There isn't another center (no,not even Gagner) who can make plays on this team like RNH will be able to and I think it's important to start cultivating that potential asap.

millpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 01:20 AM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
Posted this in the other thread:
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/stats/l...yearly/PTS/NHL

No Ovechkin, Datsyuk, or Sedins.

Just RNH, followed by Matt Read and POS.

What that means, is pre-season means absolutely jack squat. Lets see how he does his first 9 games before we say he's the best player. I think over/under is still 50/50 that he's sent down after 9.
My response....also in the other thread:

You're forgetting to mention Malkin, Grabovski, and Scheifele are also sitting at 6 Pts. Coming in at 5 PTS are the likes of Filppula, Eberle, Heatley, Giroux, Jagr and a few others. Your argument is a two edged sword that could go either way, depending on who you talk to. Ultimately you are right about not taking pre-season too seriously however... I think the excitement is more coming from seeing how things can potentially be with that line, on top of the immediate chemistry they seemed to show.

I still say he gets 43+ pts on the big club and stays up. He may not get a hat trick ala Hall in his first season, but i can see him getting at least one 3 point night

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 02:03 AM
JBell84

Agreed, I said in a now distant 'where should RNH end up' thread that I wanted to see him in the NHL if he didn't completely fall apart preseason in order to bond with this team immediately.

The kids are going to grow up with each other, go to war for each other, and ultimately win with each other because their personalities line up just as well as their skillsets...

A truly exciting time to be an Oilers fan

JBell84 is offline   Reply With Quote