HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Learning to Fly. West Jet Oilers style. RNH at helm!

Old
09-29-2011, 12:23 PM
Master Lok

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesed-off View Post
And like you said, it's the closest we've come to that, and I think the closest any team in the league has ever come to that.
Disagree. While this edition may be the closest the Oilers have seen to the Boys on the Bus, we think waaaay too much of ourselves to even suggest that Hall, RNH, Eberle is the closest the NHL has ever come to that.

How about Pittsburgh and their cast surrounding Crosby (Fleury, Malkin, Staal, Letang)? or Colorado (Sakic, Forsberg, Deadmarsh, Foote) etc.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 01:32 PM
IV XIV XCI

When you are the most talented player on a team (as he is in Red Deer) it can become difficult to elevate your game or find a chemistry with teammates that equates to great hockey.

If Ryan plays with the Oilers he will have peers who are equal to his talent level and hockey IQ - (I believe Eberle has equal vision and hands).

When your linemates are Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle (for example), the other team's top D cannot focus on you because the whole ice is scattered with scoring threats.

This bodes so well.

I was on the "send him down for a year" side of the fence.
I might have flipped now.
After Saturday I will know for sure.

IV XIV XCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 01:33 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Wow did this thread lose like 20 posts?

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:17 AM
Stoneman89

Still think Nuge gets nearly the 9 games in by default as he keeps the seat warm until Gagner is healthy and back, and then gets sent back to junior. Then Gagner keeps the centre seat warm for this year until next year, when RNH makes the team and stays. I'm in the group that says let's not get carried away here and wait till the real shooting starts before making any rash committments.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:19 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe in Oil View Post
Ryan Whitney. End of story.
Ryan Whitney - Paul Coffey? I think you owe #7 an apology, dude.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 04:34 PM
oakfield

There is certainly something to be said for competition making a player better. I agree very much with what you said, Replacement, in your OP, about playing against NHL players will make RNH better.

Could he go back down and destroy lesser competition, building confidence? Sure. Is it premature to go crazy because he had a good preseason and now he's the next Gretzky? Yes. But seeing how he's produced so far against less than stellar competition makes you think he's ready for the next step. Maybe he'll start slow, and maybe he won't. I'm willing to bet he steps it up. He doesn't get picked first overall for nothing. He's a got work ethic, and he wants the responsibility.

I remember these exact same discussions about Hall last year, and now there's not a single person in town who would say sending him back was the right choice. I think the situation is perfect right now to keep RNH up. He's proven himself (so far) to be defensively responsible, there are veteran forwards to shelter and mentor him, and he gets an extra year of DEVELOPMENT with the team's young core. Things seem to be in alignment, if you ask me.

oakfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 04:39 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 50
Plus he has to stay up so that 106 line nickname works. I'm pretty sure this is high up on Tambo's list of pros/cons.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 05:10 PM
Soundwave

The Penguins (when healthy) are the closest thing to the "Boys on the Bus" Oilers in the modern NHL by a long shot.

The Oilers aren't there yet. I love RNH, but Gagner will likely be better than him next season, he needs time to develop his body.

People get way too high and way too low on this board, when RNH has a good game it's going to be the second coming of the 80s Oilers, when he struggles for 3-5 games in a row (and it'll happen), it's going to be "ohmygawd he's not even as a good as Gagner!".

Add a Yakupov/Ebert/Griogrenko/Galyenchuk/Reinhart to this group and yeah, then I may be more inclined to believe a lot of these assertions.

There is no set path to winning a Cup or building a Cup contender. The Red Wings took many, many years before winning their first Cup, Yzerman and Lidstrom were veterans by that time, the Sedins were drafted 12 years ago and just last year got a chance at winning something. Even the 80s Oilers had been together for about 5 years before winning the Cup.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 06:53 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
The Penguins (when healthy) are the closest thing to the "Boys on the Bus" Oilers in the modern NHL by a long shot.

The Oilers aren't there yet. I love RNH, but Gagner will likely be better than him next season, he needs time to develop his body.

People get way too high and way too low on this board, when RNH has a good game it's going to be the second coming of the 80s Oilers, when he struggles for 3-5 games in a row (and it'll happen), it's going to be "ohmygawd he's not even as a good as Gagner!".

Add a Yakupov/Ebert/Griogrenko/Galyenchuk/Reinhart to this group and yeah, then I may be more inclined to believe a lot of these assertions.

There is no set path to winning a Cup or building a Cup contender. The Red Wings took many, many years before winning their first Cup, Yzerman and Lidstrom were veterans by that time, the Sedins were drafted 12 years ago and just last year got a chance at winning something. Even the 80s Oilers had been together for about 5 years before winning the Cup.
ftr I never said this club was the closest team in the league to the dynasty years. I said its the closest this org has been.

Keep in mind as well that I don't get down on Gagner either. Not sure what post you are responding to. ?

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote