HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ben Smith (Head- Probably a Concussion)

Old
09-30-2011, 11:50 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
A silver lining in this is that the suspension will eat at the Wings cap space a little bit. Although in CBA, it says suspended players salaries do not count against the cap, it was an error and they in fact do count against the cap, per Bill Daly.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:58 AM
Hillbillywingsfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
A silver lining in this is that the suspension will eat at the Wings cap space a little bit. Although in CBA, it says suspended players salaries do not count against the cap, it was an error and they in fact do count against the cap, per Bill Daly.
for 5 games.....

@Illinihockey
Yes he has to be on the roster for the time to come off from what I am reading.

Hillbillywingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:11 PM
Hillbillywingsfan

This is how smith should have done it. 5 games is fair to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO1uh...layer_embedded

Old
09-30-2011, 12:17 PM
opivy
Sauce King

Send a message via AIM to opivy Send a message via MSN to opivy Send a message via Yahoo to opivy
Quote:
This certainly doesn't make him a dirty player but as someone else posted he clearly isn't beyond being defined right now as reckless. I agree with you Opivy - Shanahan is going to be setting a precedent here. Hit this guy hard with a suspension and it says even the league's beloved Redwings will not be immune to penalties for bad hits...let him go with a slap on the wrist and let Smith know that taking a run at a guy with a head shot...shoulder or elbow....isn't such a bad thing.
I think the punishment fit the crime 5 games may be one too many for me (half as much as Wiz post whistle intentional attack) but it's fair. In regards to your leagues beloved red wings - well they fill seats across the entire market consistently. If you have a golden goose you have to keep collecting those eggs, love it or hate it.

The idea that Shanahan has to penalize harder or lessen penalties based on who the team is that I see floating around the boards is really the part that I take the biggest stand against - each and every player regardless of their team is responsible for their actions - Shanahan independent of the teams is responsible to take each incident and weight it against his past decisions and the process set ahead of time to determine the punishment. Hence the videos, hence the breakdown - this goes in the face of the Campbell model of hypothesis and takes out the fans ability to complain that anyone was harder or softer on their favorite club.

opivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:19 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

/\ Exactly Hillbilly. Now that's hockey..... we don't see many of those REAL hits anymore, and I miss it.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:25 PM
Hillbillywingsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
/\ Exactly Hillbilly. Now that's hockey..... we don't see many of those REAL hits anymore, and I miss it.
and as you can see in the video...lemieux took a BIG turn to the middle like a lot of fans are saying ben did only smaller. Konstantinov went low so that the head wasn't going to be even a worry so it was a clean but vicious hit. Much as a love my redwings and brendan smith players have to learn.

Old
09-30-2011, 12:25 PM
Sarava

Yeah that was a good hit. But I couldn't stand Konstantinov. Not on that play...but he was a very dirty player.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:28 PM
Hillbillywingsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Yeah that was a good hit. But I couldn't stand Konstantinov. Not on that play...but he was a very dirty player.
with this being a hawks board i wont get into this with you. =)

Old
09-30-2011, 12:33 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbillywingsfan View Post
and as you can see in the video...lemieux took a BIG turn to the middle like a lot of fans are saying ben did only smaller. Konstantinov went low so that the head wasn't going to be even a worry so it was a clean but vicious hit. Much as a love my redwings and brendan smith players have to learn.
Yep..... players risk a bad charley horse if they get caught with a check like that but it certainly beats a head shot every time. It is an art to administer such, however and Konstantinov though hated was very skilled. Denis Potvin was also one of the best at punishing players cleanly.

Old
09-30-2011, 12:34 PM
RayP

Quote:
I don't care if other fans post on our board, but I swear 95% of your posts have to be on our board. It's starting to creep me out a bit.

RayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:36 PM
Sarava

Quote:
What is to get in to? You know he was a dirty player. Everyone knew. We know when we have dirty players here in Chicago too.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:36 PM
Sevanston

ChrisKuc Chris Kuc
Ben Smith is at the United Center. Looked okay walking through #Blackhawks' dressing room.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:47 PM
Hillbillywingsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
I don't care if other fans post on our board, but I swear 95% of your posts have to be on our board. It's starting to creep me out a bit.

hahahah sorry=( im just a fan of hockey talking to other fans since what had happened. I like seeing what other fans take is on stuff like that. not trying to freak you out of anything. hahaha
Quote:
Yep..... players risk a bad charley horse if they get caught with a check like that but it certainly beats a head shot every time. It is an art to administer such, however and Konstantinov though hated was very skilled. Denis Potvin was also one of the best at punishing players cleanly.
Yea i miss those hits for sure.

Old
09-30-2011, 01:31 PM
Hillbillywingsfan

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...d=60&id=125539

shanny explains

Old
09-30-2011, 01:41 PM
digdug41982

Another masterpiece by Shanahan. Smith was hunched over the whole time, so there is no onus on him.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 02:11 PM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

Send a message via AIM to MTP
Shan's the man.

MTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 02:14 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
LOOK. This is why the players work so hard to get their bodies in shape. Ben Smith, who is a fitness freak, gets hit legally in the chest and he bounces back up. You're way off base. These head shots cannot be rationalized.
Ok, first of all, I made it pretty clear at the outset I was playing devil's advocate, so why don't you chill out and get a grip on the bold face and accusations. It can be taken down a notch...or 10. If you paid any attention to my original post about the subject you'd know where I stand on the hit.

Second, who was making a rationale for a head shot? I wasn't. I simply pointed out, like you can with many other hits that are illegal, i.e. turning your back at the last second prior to contact and leaving yourself vulnerable to getting steamrolled from behind, that him making a move like that does in fact make him vulnerable to getting railed. Period. And that's fine...he's a big boy, he can make that decision and all the power to him for trying to make a play to make something happen for his team. He should be able to do so without worrying about taking a headshot like he took. The simple point is, again, for the sake of discussion, if you put yourself in a vulnerable spot this kinda thing is possibly going to happen to you.

It was a dangerous hit that deserved punishment and was not the victim's fault, as I said in my original post about the subject. It's not a guy's fault for trying to make a play and do his job. But sometimes what you do to try and make a play puts you in a position to get smashed; legally or illegally. In this case, it was illegally. There's nothing off base about that.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 02:17 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

That is not puting yourself in a vulnerable position is my point. Call a spade a spade and quit puzsyfooting around to please the Wing fans.

Old
09-30-2011, 02:19 PM
Blue Liner

I couldn't care less what Wings fans think. Or any fans from any other base for that matter. I'm in a Hawks forum..why would I care? Pretty solid on your accusations today.

And pulling a toe-drag to the middle of the ice with a defender lining you up is in fact putting yourself in a position to get nailed. Doesn't make it wrong to try, but there's a reason there's a select few who are actually successful at doing it and it's not attempted all that often at this level.

I'm done with the back and forth on this. We clearly see it a little differently but agree on the ultimate point that it was a dangerous hit worthy of punishment. End of story.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 02:23 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
His head never moved. It doesn't matter if he put his eyes towards the puck. His forward motion never slowed, his front skate stayed on the same plane the entire time. His head didn't lean into or move in any irregular way, it just turned to look down at the puck that he was moving to protect. Brendan just sucks at hitting and completely missed the shoulder.

Ben Smith did absolutely nothing wrong. Are you telling me he should of kept looking at Brendan as he came to hit him? If he did that he would of got smoked in the face by his shoulder, same thing would of happened because Brendan missed checking the shoulder and smoked him in the head. Simple as that.
100% accurate according to Shanny.

Shove that up your ***, people that don't think Brendan did anything wrong.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 02:46 PM
1BlackHawksFan

:(

Poor Smith...

1BlackHawksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 02:51 PM
mintsauce

Send a message via MSN to mintsauce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
100% accurate according to Shanny.

Shove that up your ***, people that don't think Brendan did anything wrong.
My thoughts exactly, I'm 100% with Shanahan on this. The explanation couldn't be any clearer.

Any word on how Ben's doing?

mintsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 02:55 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

I apologize for being so blunt but that hit and hits like it, sicken me. I don't care if Ben Smith is seen walking around and appears okay. Sid has been walking around for close to a year now. That's a far cry from playing contact hockey in the NHL and even if Ben Smith comes back next week, he could now be one hit away from his career being over.

Old
09-30-2011, 03:03 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

That was the first video I've seen of Shanny describing why a player is or isn't suspended. Agreed with everything he said and absolutely love the transparency. Really helps fans to understand why a certain action results in a suspension.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 03:10 PM
Hillbillywingsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
That was the first video I've seen of Shanny describing why a player is or isn't suspended. Agreed with everything he said and absolutely love the transparency. Really helps fans to understand why a certain action results in a suspension.
yea just go to nhl.com and he has them all up there. really good stuff.