HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Phillies' Baseball (MLB): How Many Aces Does It Take To Win A Playoff Series?

Closed Thread

Old
10-06-2011, 09:29 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
The Phils offense is not a surprise. We all knew going into the season the pitching was their strength and that whether or not this team could produce enough runs was the question. And when I say produce enough runs, I am talking about 3-4, which should be more than sufficient when your team have 4 ace caliber pitchers, and they have done that. If back in April someone told us the phils offense would be able to produce at least 3 runs a game in the first round, no one would have expected a game 5.

I am not trying to give the offense a free pass...they have frustrated me too...but they still are producing. I just dont see how people can be so hard on Howard and give Lee a free pass. I am sorry, I love the guy, but they brought him in here for games like Sunday and he blew it. He did not even need to be spectacular, just average for him, and he couldnt do that.

Friday is set up to be a great pitchers duel...which means Halladay needs to be better than Carpenter. If the phils need the offense to score 4+ runs to win that game they are in trouble. The offense is not that good, but Halladay/Lee are. If they lose this series, I think the pitching will be the biggest disappointment.
The problem is that we are not playing the Giants. This is not a team with great pitching and poor hitting. This is the best lineup in the playoffs besides the Yankees, and a decent pitching staff. You have to change your expectations based on the match up.

You can't expect our pitchers to go out there and dominate this lineup because its very, very good. There are no easy outs, and guys do not get themselves out very often.

However, their pitching is very average, and that is why the offense not showing they have any idea of what they want to do at the plate is so frustrating. Regardless of their age they should be scoring more runs. They had the 2nd highest runs per game in the NL since Utley came off the DL. I expect more out of them against this pitching staff.

3-4 runs a game should be good enough against most teams, but this is not most teams. Its exactly the reason I feared facing a potent lineup more than I did a good starting staff. If someone was going to try to out pitch us I'd like our chances.

Old
10-06-2011, 09:36 AM
PuckBoy33

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
They find the dick that broke your window yet?

Talked to the Parking Company yesterday. They said "park at your own risk"--went to Home Depot and got 5 mil plastic and some duct tape to do a temporary fix. I'm not bothering with the police or insurance company. Rear defogger is busted as well.

Old
10-06-2011, 09:43 AM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBoy33 View Post
Talked to the Parking Company yesterday. They said "park at your own risk"--went to Home Depot and got 5 mil plastic and some duct tape to do a temporary fix. I'm not bothering with the police or insurance company. Rear defogger is busted as well.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
10-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
Quote:
haha, that was great picture though. That's what google images can do for you .

Old
10-06-2011, 10:22 AM
Justified
Amaro out

If they lose this game, which I dont think they do, they need some drastic changes. Here's what I would do. If they lose that means that since 08 they would have regressed each year despite an expanding payroll and better talent?

1. Lock up Cole Hamels.
2. Let JRoll, Raul, and Lidge walk.
3. Resign Madson and Oswalt if the $ is right.
4. Fire Charlie.
5. See what they could get for Utley?

Last edited by Justified: 10-06-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old
10-06-2011, 12:13 PM
BWAVgal
Clever comment here

vCash: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
If they lose this game, which I dont think they do, they need some drastic changes. Here's what I would do. If they lose that means that since 08 they would have regressed each year despite an expanding

1. Lock up Cole Hamels.
2. Let JRoll, Raul, and Lidge walk.
3. Resign Madson and Oswalt if the $ is right.
4. Fire Charlie. Are you nuts? 5 division titles & WS and became leader in wins as a manager for the Phillies!
5. See what they could get for Utley?Nope, he stays.
Boy oh boy. I think they win it tomorrow night.

Old
10-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAVgal View Post
Boy oh boy. I think they win it tomorrow night.
I think so too but if they dont it will a long off season. Tomorrow seems so far away.

Old
10-06-2011, 12:28 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
You're still acting like this really happened?

Old
10-06-2011, 12:30 PM
Devastate

Anybody else think it may make sense to put Valdez in at third? I like Polanco as much as the next joe, but clearly he's hurting. This is a career 300 hitter who hasn't been able to do dick the last 3 months.

Old
10-06-2011, 12:45 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastate View Post
Anybody else think it may make sense to put Valdez in at third? I like Polanco as much as the next joe, but clearly he's hurting. This is a career 300 hitter who hasn't been able to do dick the last 3 months.
I think he or Martinez (puke) would make sense... I guess. It sucks watching Polanco not be able to hit, but Charlie won't take him out.

Old
10-06-2011, 12:49 PM
kicksave27

So Doc basically has to pitch a shutout, on the second time the opposing team has seen him in a series. Not looking good.

Old
10-06-2011, 12:59 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
So Doc basically has to pitch a shutout, on the second time the opposing team has seen him in a series. Not looking good.
You're looking at it backwards; this is Doc.

He's had 4 games to observe how these creatures behave. Now he can have his prey.

Old
10-06-2011, 01:13 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Well Doc is going to have to "bury" the Cardinals just like he said he was here to do.

Old
10-06-2011, 01:56 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

In Doc we trust.

Old
10-06-2011, 03:28 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Roy Halladay will already go down as one of the greatest pitchers in Phillies history. I think if he shuts down the Cards this game, he will be a god in Philly forever.

10-06-2011, 03:47 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
Roy Halladay will already go down as one of the greatest pitchers in Phillies history. I think if he shuts down the Cards this game, he will be a god in Philly forever.
Probably would have said the same thing about Hamels back when they won the WS. Ultimately I expect Halladay to come out and throw a gem, this is why they got Halladay.

Old
10-06-2011, 03:56 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
Probably would have said the same thing about Hamels back when they won the WS. Ultimately I expect Halladay to come out and throw a gem, this is why they got Halladay.
When people look back on Hamels after his career ends, they'll see it much more favorably I think. Like Mike Schmidt. The legacy lasts. People forget their misconceptions from the past.

Old
10-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Lots of Bottles popped and eating around 11:30 PM EST tomorrow night.

Old
10-06-2011, 04:16 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
My key difference would be the perfect game and the no hitter in the playoffs, plus numerous other big wins, as tomorrow would be when they pull it out.

I also agree about the Hamels point comparing him to Schmidt in that respect. The Phils have been pretty lucky to have Cole in the rotation for so long.

Old
10-06-2011, 04:19 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
I don't know if I'd call him one of the best Phillies pitchers ever. He's only been here two years and neither year (yet) has produced a WS. Maybe one of the best seasons in Phillies history, but I think in order for a player to be considered one of the best pitchers in a team's history he has to have a little longevity with the team. Then again, the Phillies haven't exactly been blessed with talented pitchers throughout the years...

Old
10-06-2011, 04:27 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I don't know if I'd call him one of the best Phillies pitchers ever. He's only been here two years and neither year (yet) has produced a WS. Maybe one of the best seasons in Phillies history, but I think in order for a player to be considered one of the best pitchers in a team's history he has to have a little longevity with the team. Then again, the Phillies haven't exactly been blessed with talented pitchers throughout the years...
Or World Series wins. How many years would it take? I think his 2 Cy Young caliber seasons (I think he has a shot to win it this year, even with Kershaw dominating) with a perfect game, a no hitter in the playoffs and just being a flat out gamer make him one of the best already. Before anyone brings up the argument about other not so great pitchers throwing no hitters or perfect games, Roy Halladay most likely has had a better overall career than them.

Old
10-06-2011, 04:32 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Or World Series wins. How many years would it take? I think his 2 Cy Young caliber seasons (I think he has a shot to win it this year, even with Kershaw dominating) with a perfect game, a no hitter in the playoffs and just being a flat out gamer make him one of the best already. Before anyone brings up the argument about other not so great pitchers throwing no hitters or perfect games, Roy Halladay most likely has had a better overall career than them.
I'm not sure exactly how much it would take, but more than two seasons. This is just my opinion. Nothing against the Doc, he's obviously great, one of the best pitchers of this generation. I just don't know if I'd call him one of the best Phillies pitchers ever after two years. But like I said in my last post, the Phillies haven't really had all that many great pitchers so maybe I would consider him that. Haha. There really isn't a right or wrong answer here, just opinion.

Old
10-06-2011, 04:44 PM
Justified
Amaro out

This day has been taken forever and tomorrow will probably take twice as long.

Old
10-06-2011, 10:48 PM
Devastate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
This day has been taken forever and tomorrow will probably take twice as long.
That's how it always is. And i'll have to work 8 hours before the game starts. Imagine how long my day is going to be tomorrow

Old
10-06-2011, 11:55 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastate View Post
That's how it always is. And i'll have to work 8 hours before the game starts. Imagine how long my day is going to be tomorrow
Im in college and all I can think about is this game. I had a test on Tuesday so I was only able to see the first 3 innings, I felt much more relieved when my mom texted me saying Francisco hit a HR. I dont know if any team has been under this much pressure in this town to win a game in a long time. If they win this game( which I think they will) I will be more relieved than happy. Maybe Im being greedy but I want one more WS win, just to cement the deal.

Closed Thread