HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chimera signs two-year extension @ $1.75M per

Old
09-29-2011, 11:39 AM
DrPP

vCash: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I would have replaced him this year with Asham. Would have gotten a better player and saved a million bucks. Asham's a fa again next year. Could have done it then without having to make a trade.

There's a glut of good bottom six players out there. There's no need to hitch yourself to the likes of Chimera just because its convenient.
Yeah, I don't see the need to lock this guy up for another two years. Why not wait and see next off season? Maybe they feel he deserves a reward for something?

DrPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 11:39 AM
Funkyalligator

vCash: 500
Not a bad signing....provided there is no NTC in the contract. Hopefully he has worked on his hands this offseason.

Funkyalligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 11:40 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
I would have replaced him this year with Asham. Would have gotten a better player and saved a million bucks. Asham's a fa again next year. Could have done it then without having to make a trade.

There's a glut of good bottom six players out there. There's no need to hitch yourself to the likes of Chimera just because its convenient.
Asham is a good player and I would have liked to add him in addition to Chimera not instead of.

Chimera is clearly important in the locker room if he wears the A so I dont think they resigned him out of convenience. There has been alot of roster turnover this year already so some continuity is welcome and it shows the caps reward those who bring it in the playoffs.

It would send a bad message otherwise.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 11:45 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
He has no hockey sense, doesn't play a role on special teams and is coming off the worst offensive season of his career at age 32. We should have looked elsewhere.

You and I can measure the on ice output of Chimera. We can't quantify his effect as a lockerroom guy. When I see signings like these from McPhee, they make me think this was a chemistry signing. Same with the Bradley extension a few years ago. Otherwise what else warrants this extension? His numbers? Doesn't seem likely. This is one of those deals we have to trust McPhee on. I'll stick with the same comment I made for Bradley's extension. Chimera is a guy who has shown he can raise his game in the playoffs. We need more players like that, not less.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 11:47 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

The playoff reward argument always bothers me a bit given the experience with the Steckel extension.

Then again Chimera is much more proven and easier to project than Steckel was at the time, so the risk should be lower you'd hope.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 11:51 AM
Stewie G
Needed more hitting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gone View Post
Not a bad deal based on team needs. But I don't see why we can't develop 3rd or 4th line gritty guys. You would think it would be easy to find a steady stream of guys to play that role in the draft. Everyone is looking for the next home run late draft pick. Who was the last home grown true bottom six guy?
To me, it makes sense to go for home run picks late in the draft. There are always guys like Betts and Asham out there you can pick up on short term deals for reasonable prices to fill bottom 6 roles. No need to spend picks on those guys.

I know earlier I said that I'm OK with the deal, but that is because I think he brings a little more than your average bottom 6 guy with his speed and forechecking. The Caps shouldn't need to be counting on more than the 12-15 goals he'll likely produce from 3rd liners anyways. Having a guy out there that makes life tougher for opposing d-men by making them chase more pucks and delivering solid hits is a needed skill on this squad. Plus, $1.75M per season for the two years after next is very likely going to be a smaller % of the cap, so I believe that it will be a decent value by then.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 11:57 AM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
He doesn't have great hands...
that's an understatement

troyerlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 12:00 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

AOK with this signing. Guy creates havoc with his combination of speed and physicality. Took a pay cut to stay.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 12:02 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Quote:
It would have been cheaper for McPhee to punch himself in the groin. What the crap?
I like Chimera well enough, but it does seem like an overpayment, and anyway, why do it now? What was the rush?

troyerlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 12:12 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
You and I can measure the on ice output of Chimera. We can't quantify his effect as a lockerroom guy. When I see signings like these from McPhee, they make me think this was a chemistry signing. Same with the Bradley extension a few years ago. Otherwise what else warrants this extension? His numbers? Doesn't seem likely. This is one of those deals we have to trust McPhee on. I'll stick with the same comment I made for Bradley's extension. Chimera is a guy who has shown he can raise his game in the playoffs. We need more players like that, not less.
Steckel, Poti, Clymer, Schultz and Pettinger. I don't really see a reason to trust him on signings of bottom half players.

Again, Asham has proven to be a great playoff performer as well. He makes less than $800k.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 12:14 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Dazzled how many people don't like this deal... Guy is the type of player who, even when his team is down by 6, will skate as fast as he can(faster than 90% of the NHL...) on the forecheck and just lay the bricks on a dude. For a paycut at that as well. Have the star players giving up in the crunch time not gotten to you folks? Or are we all just scared of players who play hard?

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 12:15 PM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

I'm OK with this.

I'd like to see a line of Laich-Eakin-Chimera just to see how they would mesh.

blokeyhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 12:27 PM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyerlaw View Post
I like Chimera well enough, but it does seem like an overpayment, and anyway, why do it now? What was the rush?
I always equate the timing like this to showing other players that the guy who brings the effort for the team will be rewarded.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 12:31 PM
chsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by blokeyhighlander View Post
I'm OK with this.

I'd like to see a line of Laich-Eakin-Chimera just to see how they would mesh.
How about Laich-Perreault-Chimera?

I believe it has more offensive upside.

chsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 12:35 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsb View Post

I was thinking that as well, but Perreault and Chimera are so meh defensively that it's hard to justify.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 12:58 PM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallschirmyager View Post
I always equate the timing like this to showing other players that the guy who brings the effort for the team will be rewarded.
I also see this as GMGM locking in some of the smaller parts so he knows what kind of room he'll have to sign the UFA/RFAs this coming off-season.

blokeyhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 02:01 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Don't mind the deal, but the timing is a little weird. Would have preferred to see what the cheaper options (Sjogren, Eakin, Bourque, etc) do as injury fill-ins in actual games before re-upping Chimera. But he's a good locker room guy by all accounts and it doesn't remove one variable for McPhee to worry about when budgeting for the other free agents. But someone is going to be a cap casualty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
The additions of Ward and Brouwer should minimize the need to play Chimera in the top six.
Logic would have said having Eric Fehr and Marco Sturm/Tomas Fleischmann around would have kept Chimera out of the top six last year. But he still found time in the top six (and first line) both during the regular season and playoffs.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 02:30 PM
bonzilla

Well, he's paying our new 10 goal guy $3Mx4yrs...so maybe it's not so bad

bonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 02:44 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsb View Post

Because chim-Mp-fehr was such a hit!

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 04:39 PM
chsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Because chim-Mp-fehr was such a hit!
Where is Fehr now?

chsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 04:43 PM
sk84fun_dc

Don't hate the average cap hit, but don't like the timing and the 2 years, especially the timing. I'm not much of a Chimera fan, anyone can read my posts and know that, so my immediate reaction was serious questioning; a few hours later, hasn't changed much.

As others have pointed out, the timing, history with other players, the roster spot in the future, the addition of Ward, etc., I just don't get the rush and for 2 more years, it turns into 3 years of Chimera given the timing.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 04:45 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

We got too many wingers for next season, aren't we?

OV
Semin
Laich
Knuble
Brouwer
Ward
Chimera

Kuznetsov
Eakin

Doesn't add up.

Raikkonen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 04:48 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post

Doesn't add up.
Semin and Knuble are both UFA after this season, not that Chimera is competing for Semin's spot, or really for Knuble's IMO, but in terms of numbers of wingers.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 04:49 PM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Meh. Whatever.
Exactly my thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post

OV
Semin
Laich
Knuble
Brouwer
Ward
Chimera

Kuznetsov
Eakin

Doesn't add up.
Knuble and Semin aren't under contract for next season. And Laich, Kuznetsov and Eakin all have the ability to play center.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 05:09 PM
Vladiator16*
R.I.P - Loko.

Like it, a lot. Great team player.

Vladiator16* is offline   Reply With Quote