HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News and Notes 2011-2012

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Codependent
Fail for Nail!

vCash: 500
Leafs give up a 4th round draft pick for Steckel in 2012 draft. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=377419

Anyone else find it surprising they gave up that high of a pick for him?

Old
10-04-2011, 10:04 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codependent View Post
Leafs give up a 4th round draft pick for Steckel in 2012 draft. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=377419

Big American center with faceoff prowess and career ending abilities. I'm surprised they were able to restrain Burke from giving up a 1st.

Old
10-04-2011, 10:16 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codependent View Post

burke likes big players that can do some damage. he also needs some leverage to keep kessel in line. he gets both with steckel.

Old
10-04-2011, 11:42 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

http://espn.go.com/nhl/preview2011/s...-playoff-teams

Quote:
Last season: The Capitals reinvented themselves and allowed fewer than 200 goals, which is Step 1 toward winning a Cup. But once again, they were unable to reach the conference finals as they were swept by the more explosive Lightning. Don't blame No. 8. Alex Ovechkin remains a playoff beast: 25 goals, 25 assists and 50 points in 37 games. Monstrous. Their defensive group improved and Michal Neuvirth is the guy I would go to in net.

This season: I think their defensemen are now better and deeper than their forward group. The top line will score; if the next two lines can get productivity and Ovechkin (career-low 32 goals) returns to his aggressive ways, this could be the Caps' best team yet.

Bold prediction: Bruce Boudreau does not last the season as head coach.
Also worth noting:
He has Philadelphia missing the playoffs.
He has Colorado making the playoffs.

Old
10-05-2011, 12:55 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Wait, he'd go to Neuvirth in net? He does know that Vokoun was signed, right?

Old
10-05-2011, 01:08 AM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
http://espn.go.com/nhl/preview2011/s...-playoff-teams

Also worth noting:
He has Philadelphia missing the playoffs.
He has Colorado making the playoffs.
He predicts the Caps will be great and Bruce will be fired mid-season. More ESPN garbage.

Old
10-05-2011, 02:30 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
He predicts the Caps will be great and Bruce will be fired mid-season. More ESPN garbage.
Mark French for Jack Adams!

Old
10-05-2011, 08:15 AM
txpd

yea. that makes a lot of sense. the caps must face worse than last december with boudreau insisting on playing vokoun every night to get boudreau fired. then the new coach brings them roaring back behind neuvirth who then lead them to the cup.

bold or just stupid?

meanwhile friedman is ripping ovechkin to pieces. fun.

Old
10-05-2011, 08:43 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
yea. that makes a lot of sense. the caps must face worse than last december with boudreau insisting on playing vokoun every night to get boudreau fired. then the new coach brings them roaring back behind neuvirth who then lead them to the cup.

bold or just stupid?

meanwhile friedman is ripping ovechkin to pieces. fun.
I wouldn't call that ripping to pieces. It's a little heavy handed but not much, and the overall message as pretty reasonable: nobody doubts Ovie's desire or drive, but he'll become a better player if he can begin to be smarter and more focused. Milbury made some similar points recently, and I was shocked at how reasonable he sounded.

Old
10-05-2011, 01:01 PM
exwhaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I'm not sure who looks worse in this:

1. The Caps media staff's Iraqui Information Minister approach to the quotes of Semin's former teammates. (Or really any reports about the Caps they don't like)

2. Semin.

3. Boudreau for letting it go on.

4. McPhee for being so out of the loop.

I'm not a big believer in tigers changing their stripes. The country-club atmosphere intimated by many around the organization (and summarily dismissed by anybody connected to same) seems to have been proven true, jilted players or no.

Boudreau's the most accountable here. Shoot him to the Moon if the team doesn't make the Finals.
I'm not sure how McPhee looks like he's out of the loop. Not with the kinds of players he acquired in the off-season, the meetings he had with his core, and the public comments he made about that core before Bradley and Steckel made their comments.

Old
10-05-2011, 01:12 PM
Marshall
The OMalley Sellouts

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by exwhaler View Post
I'm not sure how McPhee looks like he's out of the loop. Not with the kinds of players he acquired in the off-season, the meetings he had with his core, and the public comments he made about that core before Bradley and Steckel made their comments.
Last season. The season before. Not this off-season. Which is what the comments addressed.

Old
10-05-2011, 01:21 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
I wouldn't call that ripping to pieces. It's a little heavy handed but not much, and the overall message as pretty reasonable: nobody doubts Ovie's desire or drive, but he'll become a better player if he can begin to be smarter and more focused. Milbury made some similar points recently, and I was shocked at how reasonable he sounded.
Meh, I thought it was approaching a hatchet job. He essentially implied that it's believed that Ovechkin is now not even a top-5 forward, and hasn't improved since his rookie season. This after his career low season, in which he was still #7 in scoring. What player in the league wouldn't want their career-worst season to be 85 points?

I'm past the media hating on Ovechkin anyway. He could win 3 straight Harts and the Canadian media still wouldn't give him the respect that he deserves. Even if Crosby never plays another game, they'll move on to Perry or Stamkos as the Canadian golden boy.

Old
10-05-2011, 01:28 PM
Langway
Intangibles

If Ovechkin really wanted to win he'd switch to center and change his first name to Jonathan.

Hacks gonna hack. Teams win Cups.

Old
10-05-2011, 01:32 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

If his name was Alex O'Reilly and he was from Mississauga, he'd be an absolute god to the TSN folks. The second coming of Gordie Howe.

Alas, he holds a Russian passport.

Old
10-05-2011, 01:54 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

He's got less chance to show off those beloved intangibles since he's not a center, but the truth is the Caps have never played a smart enough game overall. Asking Ovie to lead the way in that department is somewhat natural. Overblown, given the way it's framed, but natural nonetheless.

Old
10-05-2011, 01:59 PM
txpd

its funny how little credit ovechkin gets for buying into the defense first system changes. were it crosby or stamkos you could see the canadian media slobber all over that. for ovechkin it somehow comes off as he was fine with it because he could coast or something.

this season i sort of expect to hear how ovechkin is not playing with his customary intensity after he has avoided a suspension in the first 50 games of the season.

Old
10-05-2011, 02:17 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
its funny how little credit ovechkin gets for buying into the defense first system changes. were it crosby or stamkos you could see the canadian media slobber all over that. for ovechkin it somehow comes off as he was fine with it because he could coast or something.
That's because improvement isn't a zero sum game. When Crosby improved at faceoffs, it wasn't at the expense of anything else. When he started shooting more, he still racked up assists.

Ovechkin went along with the trap and his goal scoring got cut in half. Not impressive nor a smart tradeoff.

I have no doubt that he could be like Hossa but with 50+ goals. After six years, its a little disappointing that he hasn't grown in that direction.

Old
10-05-2011, 02:29 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

You know I’m also disappointed that he didn’t score 60 goals and 60 assists and became better then Datsyuk defensively or at least progress like my idol Sidney. What a disappointment…

Old
10-06-2011, 04:12 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

http://espn.go.com/nhl/preview2011/s...ons-new-season

Quote:
2. Which team will have the better chance to win the Southeast: Washington or Tampa Bay?
Burnside: Washington. Because that's what they do. Caps GM George McPhee continues to add pieces that should make the team a Cup contender. Just a little bit better than a solid Lightning team.

Custance: The Capitals. McPhee did everything right and built this team for playoff success, but it should be just as strong during the regular season. There shouldn't be a midseason system change like there was last year, but even with that, the Capitals finished with 107 points. The Lightning are still a playoff team, but the Capitals are in another class this season.

LeBrun: How about Winnipeg? Just kidding, but wouldn't that be great? The Caps will win it. We believe the Lightning overachieved last season, and while we have them making the playoffs this season, we don't think they can overtake Washington for the division. Not this season, anyway.
Linda Cohn, Steve Levy and Barry Melrose all also picked BB as the Adams winner.

10-06-2011, 05:25 PM
txpd

kathryn tappen. great move by nhl network. smooth

Old
10-06-2011, 05:42 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

if you like gummy smiles I guess...

Last edited by CapitalsCupFantasy: 10-06-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old
10-06-2011, 05:57 PM
hoopla

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
If his name was Alex O'Reilly and he was from Mississauga, he'd be an absolute god to the TSN folks. The second coming of Gordie Howe.

Alas, he holds a Russian passport.
you've hit the nail on its head! Ovechkin is a golden boy in his country, even after he attacked some Russian journalist during the Olympics and destroyed her camera. But hey they are Russian, they do what they want. Although, I have not seen or heard anything about Crosby acting like a caveman. I also have not seen Ovi's championship ring or his olympic gold medal.

Old
10-06-2011, 06:22 PM
txpd

ooo...cool. anti ov stuff. sweet.

Old
10-07-2011, 08:55 AM
hoopla

y not

Old
10-07-2011, 09:15 AM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Is it time to trade this bum yet? We need to get us a clean cut, say-all-the-right-things good ol Canadian boy! Like it or lump it...

Closed Thread