HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pro Scouting: NHL Defensemen at low cost & potentially high rewards

Closed Thread

Old
09-29-2011, 02:44 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Pain View Post
Okay mother. Name them all of them and I will send my rebuttal.

I love internet gangsters talking down to people. It must make them feel good.
haha, because he disagrees with you, it makes him an internet gangster?

Old
09-29-2011, 02:48 PM
outKast*

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
... your GM isn't able to get you anything better.
And this is the point of my thread. I'm a Joe Blow type of guy who has as much hockey sense as any of you. If some schmuck like me can identify the holes on the Oilers defense andI'm aware enough to know that something needs to be done and the guy who's in charge is doing nothing about it...

Then the Oilers defense woes are not Tom Gilbert's problem. Whitney feeling like he needs to rush back is not his problem. Wanna know who's fault this is? Tambellini's and all his supporters that consent to this!

The GM must fix this defense!

Old
09-29-2011, 02:49 PM
outKast*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
He was patronizing in his response. Talking down to people -- not disagreeing -- makes people an internet gangster. If he talked down to people on a regular basis in real life, I would get it... he's just a jerk. But when people talk down to other people while being behind the some computer screen? Pathetic.

Old
09-29-2011, 02:50 PM
tiger_80

I think one could make an argument that they were tanking last year. I don't think this argument holds this time around. Tambellini actually made a big effort to improve the team in the off-season.

1) Smyth--legit top 6 veteran forward with grit and intangibles--exactly what the team lacked last year.
2) Belanger--3C we have been screaming for ever since Stoll left town.
3) Eager, Hordichuk and Sutton add a lot of size and sandpaper to the bottom line and the bottom d-pairing.
4) Barker is a one year gamble.

The players they brought in are at least as good or better than the guys that were in there last year (Smyth > Penner, Sutton=Vandermeer, Barker= or > Foster, Eager>Jacques, Hordichuk> Stortini, Belanger> Cogliano. Petry>>>>Strudwick

I expect they will add a quality defenseman next off-season once Barker's and Sutton's contracts come off the books. By then the OIlers should be in position to challenge for a play-off spot.

Old
09-29-2011, 02:51 PM
oilers92

vCash: 50
its not as bad a d group as your making out whitney is a top pairing need 1 more and the group is fixed sutton is big strong and can teach gilbert is a good number 4 smid/peckham good bottom guys, if barker can play like he should be able to that's the number 3 down and your 1 short of a good group

Old
09-29-2011, 02:52 PM
AUAIOMRN

Gagner is not a small price to pay, fyi.

Old
09-29-2011, 02:58 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
I'm going to list a couple guys that may help the Oilers rebuild. By low cost, I mean that a trade for these guys will cost us at least a Gagner type player or less.

1. Sami Lepisto
Great 2-way defenseman with shut-down capabilities.

Upside: Top 4 dman
Downside: 7th dman

2. Ryan Wilson

Good 2-way dman who's got good size

Upside: 2nd pairing dman
Downside: Michael Vernace

3. Kris Russell

Upside: Top 4 dman & 2nd PP Unit
Downside: Tom Gilbert

4. Marco Scandella

Good size. WJC star.

Upside: Top 4 dman
Downside: Career AHL'er OR Tommy G

5. Derek Morris

Upside: 2nd pairing dman. Stabilizer for young players.
Downside: waste of cap space and roster room OR Tom Gilbert

6. Douglas Murray

Upside: High-end shutdown defenseman
Downside: Scott Hannan now

7. Carlo Colaiacovo

Upside: 2nd pairing 2-way defenseman. 2nd PP unit
Downside: Tom Gilbert

8.Johny Boychuk

Upside: Highend shutdown defenseman
Downside: Scott Hannan now

9. Tim Gleason

Upside: 2nd pairing shutdown man
Downside: Tom.. Kloucek

10. Keaton Ellerby

Upside: Eric Brewer
Downside: Bust OR Tom Gilbert

11. Anton Volchenkov

Upside: Elite shutdown defenseman. 1st PK unit
Downside: Scott Hannan
Your comparisons are ridiculous. So Kris Russell could be a top 4 d-man with 2nd unit powerplay time, OR Tom Gilbert? Even though Gilbert is a top 4 d-man with 2nd unit powerplay time? Makes sense. Same with Colaicovo. Scott Hannan WAS a 1st PK unit elite shut down d-man in his prime. Johnny Boychuk and Doug Murray are both better than Hannan now. And how can Scandella's downside be either an AHL'er or Tom Gilbert? They make zero sense.

Old
09-29-2011, 02:58 PM
Krut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
I still haven't heard the rebuttal he promised. I laid out his failure in logic, and all I hear are crickets.

Old
09-29-2011, 02:59 PM
bucktown

Quote:
I wasn't equating. I was saying the player's downside is one or the other.

I didn't say bust = Tom Gilbert.

Posters here are extrapolating and bashing rather than discussing the real point. Management is doing this to the team on purpose. They have the means to reach the playoffs but refuse to acquire the resources to achieve it. It's embarrassing really.

Pretty bold statement (no pun intended). How do you know that management hasn't shopped Gagner, or any of our other "expendable" players, for some if not all of the D options you posted? How do you know that the asking price isn't more than the Gagner example you posted? how do you know what the grand design of the core of this team is? How do you know what deals are in the works?

To me there are a few obvious things that you're missing. We need defenseman, all the GM's in the league are aware of this. We have a list of players that are available, and a list that are untouchable. The GM's all know this too. The list of players that are "available" leave something to be desired, and the list of valuable players is significantly larger than the latter. Not exactly appealing to possible trade partners.

If you think for one second that any GM in the league is going to do us any favors by giving us what we need without having to dip into our "valuable" pile of assets, you are in dreamland. We just got 2 #1 picks overall in a row. We are brimming with talent through lucky/good draft pics, and the entire league is well aware of the future we *could be on the precipice of. Everyone wants, and feels they deserve, a piece of our success.

Our options for acquiring D atm are through free agency (which if im not mistaken we did, and did fairly respectably) or overpayment. While im not a huge fan of our management team, I can see that their hands are tied on this current issue.

Last edited by bucktown: 09-29-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old
09-29-2011, 03:00 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
And this is the point of my thread. I'm a Joe Blow type of guy who has as much hockey sense as any of you. If some schmuck like me can identify the holes on the Oilers defense andI'm aware enough to know that something needs to be done and the guy who's in charge is doing nothing about it...

Then the Oilers defense woes are not Tom Gilbert's problem. Whitney feeling like he needs to rush back is not his problem. Wanna know who's fault this is? Tambellini's and all his supporters that consent to this!

The GM must fix this defense!
He must fix it, but people seem to think that you can snap your fingers and it's done.

I don't actually see what you are trying to even get at. There are multiple threads on this board that talk about us needing better defense and hoping that something can be done with the excess assets we have up front.

Old
09-29-2011, 03:03 PM
stratedge
I rigged the lotto.

vCash: 785
+1 to lock this thread. Nothing but incoherent rant and then a series of childish personal attacks. I think the OP would be more at home finding conversation with opponents on an Xbox.

Old
09-29-2011, 03:12 PM
pox

vCash: 767
Send a message via MSN to pox
I realy dont think Volchenkov is available

Old
09-29-2011, 03:18 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by pox View Post
I realy dont think Volchenkov is available
Well actually I'm sure he probably is, but who's going to take his contract after last season, it was just a little underwhelming, lol.

Old
09-29-2011, 03:19 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not going to take the time to clean this thread up, so it's done.

Closed Thread