HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preseason Finale Panthers VS. Stars 9/29/11

Closed Thread

Old
09-29-2011, 10:48 PM
Montsy14

vCash: 500
This is somewhat confusing.. There were a handful of guys out there fighting for a roster spot and we get blown out? Ouch.

Pre-season is pre-season though...whatever. Now the team has over a week to get it together.

Old
09-29-2011, 10:54 PM
Erick*

Kennedy put on waivers after the game.

I'm glad; I said it in GR's chat that I didn't want him on the team.

Old
09-29-2011, 10:57 PM
catEye
Oh No! We suck again

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersflames1 View Post
Is anyone else as concerned as i am that our goaltending blows?

Goaltender is definitely a concern. I was expecting it, but I didn't know it would be this bad.

Old
09-29-2011, 11:16 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
What happened tonight? Anyone know the lineup?

I'm not gonna freak, it's preseason, don't care what anyone says.
Still, 7 goals with most of our regular D and our starter in. It's at least slightly concerning.

Old
09-29-2011, 11:20 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by catEye View Post
Goaltender is definitely a concern. I was expecting it, but I didn't know it would be this bad.
Honestly, there weren't many goals that we "bad" goals. He should've had some of them, but most were either from the blue line that just somehow made their way through or were right dead straight in the slot.

Only one I think he definitely should've had was Ribeiro's first goal. It could've been worse had Theo not shown up in the 1st.

Dallas really turned it on in the 2nd following Florida's 5 on 3 PPG to tie it. Lehtonen also came up with two big breakaway saves. Game just got away from the Panthers in the 3rd. Continued to take penalties and just stopped playing once it got to be 4-1 and worse.

Anyways, good luck the rest of the season outside of that one game.

Old
09-30-2011, 12:41 AM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

wow. dont know that they can justify keeping hubs off the team other than for his development. but hes clearly already a better scorer than half the team.

Old
09-30-2011, 03:06 AM
jakethesnake23

its preseason, it means nothing, wait until the season actually begins before you begin to worry...

and i would have said the same thing if we went 6-0...

Old
09-30-2011, 04:29 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

I'm also a bit worried, but it's pre-season. Remember: we beat TB 7-0 in like the third regular season game last year, and look what happened to them.

Old
09-30-2011, 04:40 AM
nhlfan9191

I'm sorry, but what in the heck happened in this game? Theodore let in all 7 goals? Why the heck would Dineen destroy his number 1 goalies confidence in the last game of the pre season! He should have got him out when Dallas scored the fifth goal. The sixth at the latest! The guy has given up 12 goals on 67 shots in just two games. Doesn't matter if its preseason, his confidence is going to be gone and clemmenson's hurt and Markstrom still doesn't look NHL ready. Things don't look good. The top panther players are struggling to win against most of the other teams B squads.

Old
09-30-2011, 04:54 AM
Georgia Panther

The goalie situation will eventually sort itself out. You can always find a serviceable goalie if you look hard enough. Either Theo will bounce back, Markstrom will grow up in a hurry or someone will be signed or traded from the goalie scrapheap. In the goalie world, yesterday's bum can be tomorrow's hero. My only concern is that Theo's two year, NTC contract will cause Tallon to stick with him longer than he should and/or bring in competition to push/replace him.

Last edited by Georgia Panther: 09-30-2011 at 05:04 AM.
Old
09-30-2011, 05:24 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
The goalie situation will eventually sort itself out. You can always find a serviceable goalie if you look hard enough. Either Theo will bounce back, Markstrom will grow up in a hurry or someone will be signed or traded from the goalie scrapheap. In the goalie world, yesterday's bum can be tomorrow's hero. My only concern is that Theo's two year, NTC contract will cause Tallon to stick with him longer than he should and/or bring in competition to push/replace him.
Well I'm glad your looking at the brightside, but the reality in hockey is there isn't always a brightside. When Theo has no confidence, he's a bout as useful as a fart in a windstorm. Markstrom will likely struggle heavily in his first year if this defense plays anywhere near as bad as they did in the preseason. And Clemmenson, if we're expecting a career backup to bring us to the playoff's when guys like Loungo and Vokoun couldn't, then we're in trouble. Sure, this team is a bit better than some in the past, but not by a much. There's too many third line players on this team. And it showed heavily in the preseason. If I was general manager, i'd be looking for a guy who can actually split starts with Theo. If Theo falls apart, I can promise all of you that Clemmenson WILL not lead this team to the playoff's. We need a better fallback plan if Theo isn't working out. The great thing about Theodore is at 1.5 million a year, we can easily convert him from starting goalie to backup status without having to worry bout the salary cap.

Last edited by nhlfan9191: 09-30-2011 at 05:56 AM.
Old
09-30-2011, 06:27 AM
lacrosseguy

I think Huberdeau should stick...........playing and practicing with pros would be unbelievable for his development............perhaps he plays 60 ish games, but under the thumb of your trainers/coaches IMO would be better for his development.
He is a knack for scoring I dont care what the level he will produce.

Old
09-30-2011, 06:53 AM
RainingRats

Pre-season or not you have to be concerned. We've been giving up a lot of goals and goaltending was something we all saw as a potential weakness. Plus we were worried about chemistry and how a new coach would handle things. We only have a week before the season starts to get things squared away and the Panthers are notorious for ruining their season with slow starts. So yes, I'm concerned.

Old
09-30-2011, 06:55 AM
CoolburnIsGone

An interesting thing I noticed while looking at the boxscore...Ellerby led all Panthers in icetime and in this game where FL gave up 5 even strength goals, his plus/minus was even. I believe he was paired up with Kostka so its not even like he was with a vet getting all that icetime. At some pt, there's gotta be a move made to let him play regularly IMO.

Old
09-30-2011, 07:13 AM
SufferingCatFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
An interesting thing I noticed while looking at the boxscore...Ellerby led all Panthers in icetime and in this game where FL gave up 5 even strength goals, his plus/minus was even. I believe he was paired up with Kostka so its not even like he was with a vet getting all that icetime. At some pt, there's gotta be a move made to let him play regularly IMO.
With all the turnover, it is safe to say that this season will be one of transition. Ellerby is a big part of our future IMO and Weaver is not. Accordingly, Weaver should play the 7th D role and work his magic on the PK.

We still have a ways to go and "winning now" is really not on the cards with our current goalie situation etc. I vote strongly for using the season to develop our youth,including Guds, Ellerby, Markstrom etc.

Old
09-30-2011, 07:18 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by SufferingCatFan View Post
With all the turnover, it is safe to say that this season will be one of transition. Ellerby is a big part of our future IMO and Weaver is not. Accordingly, Weaver should play the 7th D role and work his magic on the PK.

We still have a ways to go and "winning now" is really not on the cards with our current goalie situation etc. I vote strongly for using the season to develop our youth,including Guds, Ellerby, Markstrom etc.
I don't think winning now and development are mutually exclusive. If Weaver's play(assuming he's the #6 on the depth chart) keeps Ellerby out of the lineup so be it. That just means Ellerby has to work harder or take advantage of his opportunities which will come.

Winning is good for development anyway. This is one of our better looking teams on paper and the few young guys we have will get their chance. Better they're not given too much responsibility (which has been the problem in the past.) than too little.

Old
09-30-2011, 08:00 AM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
I'm sorry, but what in the heck happened in this game? Theodore let in all 7 goals? Why the heck would Dineen destroy his number 1 goalies confidence in the last game of the pre season! He should have got him out when Dallas scored the fifth goal. The sixth at the latest! The guy has given up 12 goals on 67 shots in just two games. Doesn't matter if its preseason, his confidence is going to be gone and clemmenson's hurt and Markstrom still doesn't look NHL ready. Things don't look good. The top panther players are struggling to win against most of the other teams B squads.
Better to ruin Theo's confidence than Markstrom's. Theo is just a temp until we find something better. Markstrom is the future.

Old
09-30-2011, 09:42 AM
SufferingCatFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
I don't think winning now and development are mutually exclusive. If Weaver's play(assuming he's the #6 on the depth chart) keeps Ellerby out of the lineup so be it. That just means Ellerby has to work harder or take advantage of his opportunities which will come.

Winning is good for development anyway. This is one of our better looking teams on paper and the few young guys we have will get their chance. Better they're not given too much responsibility (which has been the problem in the past.) than too little.
Agree that winning now does not preclude development. My point is that "winning now" is not a realistic option IMO and accordingly we should err on the side of development.

I have no problem with us starting the season trying to win. I just don't expect it to happen. I would loved to be proven wrong. I just do not see this team as a playoff team due to the situation in goal and the absence of first line forwards.

Old
09-30-2011, 10:06 AM
Montsy14

I'm not concerned...if we're 1-4 after the first 5 regular season games, then I'll be worried.

Old
09-30-2011, 10:10 AM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Anyone know what the Panthers lineup was? Haven't seen it yet.

09-30-2011, 12:03 PM
panthersfan751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
I'm not concerned...if we're 1-4 after the first 5 regular season games, then I'll be worried.
Neither am I. Everyone knew we had a largely new roster that would take time to come together. While losing 7-1 wasn't what I had in mind, I didn't expect a winning record in the preseason.

Old
09-30-2011, 12:42 PM
Pantherfan12

Its Preseason, and if Theo continues to disappoint then I expect either Markstrom or Clemmer to step in. Maybe well have a trade to bring in a better goalie for now. In any event I am not worried with preseason. Guys need to gel and more often than not it was a tryout for our youth. Gudbranson, Huberdeau, and Markstrom all made the team because of their good work. If we start 0-5 then we can worry but for now,I'm not worried.

Old
09-30-2011, 01:31 PM
PanthersHockey1
Bond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
Its Preseason, and if Theo continues to disappoint then I expect either Markstrom or Clemmer to step in. Maybe well have a trade to bring in a better goalie for now. In any event I am not worried with preseason. Guys need to gel and more often than not it was a tryout for our youth. Gudbranson, Huberdeau, and Markstrom all made the team because of their good work. If we start 0-5 then we can worry but for now,I'm not worried.
It just sucks because during our last decade of mediocrity there was always one thing that fans could depend on and thats excellent goaltending. We have a much more talented offense and defense but have lost talent on goaltending.

It would be nice to have all three pieces of the puzzle come together, but it always seems like were missing one, two, or all three.

Old
09-30-2011, 02:37 PM
CoolburnIsGone

You guys do realize that our lineup last night was missing quite a few regulars right?? Campbell, Garrison, Weiss, Hartnell, and Kopecky were all back in FL and Dallas basically used their starting lineup for this season (which may have been a bad idea considering Ellerby checked Eriksson and knocked him out of the game in the 3rd).

I'm worried about Theo's play but then again, I wonder how we would've played with those 5 guys in the lineup in front of him too (particularly those 2 defenders).

Old
09-30-2011, 03:02 PM
Erick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
You guys do realize that our lineup last night was missing quite a few regulars right?? Campbell, Garrison, Weiss, Hartnell, and Kopecky were all back in FL and Dallas basically used their starting lineup for this season (which may have been a bad idea considering Ellerby checked Eriksson and knocked him out of the game in the 3rd).

I'm worried about Theo's play but then again, I wonder how we would've played with those 5 guys in the lineup in front of him too (particularly those 2 defenders).
I'm not sure if it's just you who keeps saying this or if it's a combination of people, but I'm pretty sure Hartnell's name has been brought up in at least five threads this offseason.

It's kinda funny. Especially with the whole "We see red" thing.

Closed Thread