HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Swedish Prospect Update Thread - Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2011, 03:36 PM
Hockeyfrilla

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM View Post
I don'2 recall who was the first?
Pontus Åberg.

Old
12-13-2011, 04:45 AM
Hockeyfrilla

NY Rangers prospect Jesper Fasth have signed a new 2-yr contract with HV71.

Old
12-13-2011, 04:53 AM
fredrikstad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Because I just think it would have been better for his development.
I`m sure it will benefit his development, playing a few games in a mens leauge and in j20 superelit.
Next season he will be a full time Modo player in a mens league at 18 years old. Playing on the larger ice will benefit his skating and the way he sees the ice.
Gonna be a great player in a NHL club some day, while carrying the best from NA and Europe.

Old
12-13-2011, 01:31 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfrilla View Post
NY Rangers prospect Jesper Fasth have signed a new 2-yr contract with HV71.
Makes sense. With the recent injury I expect him to stay at least another year in Sweden. Go the Silfverberg route, play with the National team and all that.

Old
12-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Makes sense. With the recent injury I expect him to stay at least another year in Sweden. Go the Silfverberg route, play with the National team and all that.
By the sounds of it, it's still expected he signs with NYR by the end of the season. Whether that means he actually goes to NYR...I wouldn't know.

Old
12-19-2011, 10:55 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
By the sounds of it, it's still expected he signs with NYR by the end of the season. Whether that means he actually goes to NYR...I wouldn't know.
They need to sign him to retain his rights, so it's not really an indicator either way.

Old
12-19-2011, 12:16 PM
Sif

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Who would those who see Johan Larsson often compare him to? Does he have a solid chance to be a top 6 guy in the NHL or is it more likely he's just one of those strong third line-type of players?
Somewhere along the lines of a meaner, slicker Brooks Laich. I've heard people comparing him to Mikko Koivu as well. But haven't seen him play all that much myself, Koivu that is.

Old
12-19-2011, 01:03 PM
YARR123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sif View Post
Somewhere along the lines of a meaner, slicker Brooks Laich. I've heard people comparing him to Mikko Koivu as well. But haven't seen him play all that much myself, Koivu that is.
Thats not a bad comparison. I haven't seen Larsson play that much but from what I've seen/heard he, like Koivu, is very straightforward, strong, not an incredible skater but not bad either, great two-way play, both more playmakers?

Mikael Granlund said in an interview, when asked who are some guys to look out for in the WJC, that Larsson plays a very straightforward game, is very strong and drives straight to the net. Also is a leader on the ice. All that sounds a bit like Koivu.

Old
12-19-2011, 02:47 PM
joe89

I've seen Larsson as a M.Koivu light for some time. He isn't as tall but built like a truck and possess very similar abilities. Mikko probably has better skating and Johan plays with some more physical edge, but other than that they both have the two-way, better playmaking than shooting, terrific work ethic and leadership.. It's a question where Larsson's offensive abilities take him, he's a pretty sure bet for at least a 3rd line. It took Mikko some time to get his offense going at NHL level, I can see the same happening for Johan.

Old
12-19-2011, 03:02 PM
Dr Jan Itor

This is what I can't get my head around; Larsson (and Granlund) are blowing Koivu out of the water offensively at the same age. Was he just that much of a late bloomer? Or does Larsson have legitimate offensive upside?

Old
12-19-2011, 03:22 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
This is what I can't get my head around; Larsson (and Granlund) are blowing Koivu out of the water offensively at the same age. Was he just that much of a late bloomer? Or does Larsson have legitimate offensive upside?
Legitimate offense at the SEL and junior level, but NHL is (probably) another thing. The fact that he isn't one of the fastest skaters could possibly hinder him from being a big offensive threat. A lot of his SEL and junior competition success comes from working harder than anyone else, you'll notice his forechecking at the WJC. I think skating is his biggest area of improvement going forward, especially the first few strides.

Tough to compare with Mikko's development curve. Mikko's had steady progress, but in a way yes he's definitely a late bloomer. Don't know where to find draft size, but I'm pretty sure Mikko wasn't as physically developed at the same age.

Old
12-19-2011, 11:35 PM
Mathletic

how's Marcus Högberg projecting compared to guys like Lehner, Markström, Dansk and so on?

Old
12-20-2011, 01:18 AM
Sif

In for a treat today. Elias Lindholm, Captain Ironhook's cousin, is in Brynäs lineup for tonight. He's going to center Wännström and Emil Molin.

He should be getting some games now unless any Swedes get injured at the WJC. In which case he's off to Calgary.

Old
12-20-2011, 01:55 AM
Mathletic

I have not followed the whole thread, perhaps some players have been discussed plenty already but I'd like to have your opinion on these players for the 2012 draft

Gustav Rydahl, C, Frölunda
Niklas Folin, D, Frölunda
Marcus Oskarsson, D, Luleå
Christian Djoos, D, Brynäs
Jesper Pettersson, D, Linköping
Marcus Hellgren Smed, G, Leksands IF
Marcus Bohman, D, Modo Hockey
Linus Ullmark, G, Modo Hockey

Old
12-20-2011, 02:12 AM
Sif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
I have not followed the whole thread, perhaps some players have been discussed plenty already but I'd like to have your opinion on these players for the 2012 draft

Djoos is atleast at more skilled player than his dad was. And he still holds the record for most assists scored by a defenseman in a single season in SEL. Size could potentially be an issue though.

Old
12-20-2011, 08:24 AM
Hockeyfrilla

Quote:

Rydahl is a big kid who can skate and throw the body around, somewhat limited offensive upside. Leadership qualites.

Old
12-20-2011, 10:14 AM
Fregus
Modo Hockey

Quote:

Bohman: Good shutdown defenceman with great physique (he really looks like a beast for his age) and leadership. Has not played a single SEL game yet, but it should just be a matter of time IMO.

Ullmark: Big goalie with really good stats from the Swedish junior leagues. A step below Anton Forsberg (backup for the WJC) in Modo's system right now, though some say Ullmark actually is the biggest raw talent.

Old
12-20-2011, 10:17 AM
Fregus
Modo Hockey

Quote:

Bohman: Good shutdown defenceman with great physique (he really looks like a beast for his age) and leadership. Has not played a single SEL game yet, but it should just be a matter of time IMO.

Ullmark: Big goalie with really good stats from the Swedish junior leagues. A step below Anton Forsberg (backup for the WJC) in Modo's system right now, though some say Ullmark actually is the biggest raw talent.

Old
12-20-2011, 02:42 PM
BPilgrim

Quote:

Good leader, assistant captain for Linköping J20 despite being two years younger than the oldest guys on the team. Bit of a hotspur but has put some of his aggressiveness (too much if you ask me) behind him. Pretty small but uses his body very well and is absolutely not afraid to stick his head in.

He hasn't had such an impact on SuperElit as I thought after watching him some games in J18 Allsvenskan. He dominated the ice and was sometimes used as forward because of his offensive upside. This year might fall under "adjustment year" for him but let's see how he handles topp-10. Has the potential to be leading pp-defenseman already this year in LHC J20.

Old
12-21-2011, 07:48 PM
Security Guard Chang*

What kind of player do Swedish fans think silfverberg will become in the NHL?

Old
12-22-2011, 05:56 PM
Sif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassasin View Post
What kind of player do Swedish fans think silfverberg will become in the NHL?
Pretty much anything the Sens wants him to become, except maybe an elite point scorer. I think the bar is somewhere along the lines of an Alfredsson light.

Old
12-22-2011, 06:02 PM
Josh Deitell

I'm moving to Lund (near Malmo) next week for six months. Can anyone recommend me some prospects to watch for on the Redhawks or in the Allsvenskan in general?

Old
12-22-2011, 06:45 PM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
I'm moving to Lund (near Malmo) next week for six months. Can anyone recommend me some prospects to watch for on the Redhawks or in the Allsvenskan in general?
Go to Ängelholm and see Rögle, they have had a fantastic crop of juniors lately. Malmö not so much... Also, obviously Allsvenskan is the highest level hockey down there, but I would really recommend you to go see some J20 SuperElit, it's free and they play fun hockey.

If you want to see SEL hockey Växjö, Frölunda, and HV71 are the closest teams.

Old
12-22-2011, 07:51 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
You have Tim Heed and the Vesterholm twins. That's pretty much it on Malmo I think. On the other hand it's a perfect chance to see the other teams' prospects when they're in town, in the league's best building.

Old
12-22-2011, 10:07 PM
Security Guard Chang*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sif View Post
Pretty much anything the Sens wants him to become, except maybe an elite point scorer. I think the bar is somewhere along the lines of an Alfredsson light.
So 30-30 two way forward?
that's the vibe I'm getting..

Closed Thread