HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Swedish Prospect Update Thread - Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2012, 09:13 AM
joe89

vCash: 500
Looks like another good year for sure. Remains to be seen if someone can step up and be that top pick, but deep it is.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:13 AM
alexmanu

I was just wandering if any knowledgeable Swedish fans could give me any info. on any of the Pred's Swedish prospects?

We have a bunch:

Magnus Hellberg
Simon Karlsson
Mattias Ekholm
Patrick Cehlin
Pontus Aberg
Simon Fernholm
Max Gortz

If any can tell me more about any of these guys that would be helpful. Thanks.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:01 PM
cheerupmurray

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmanu View Post
I was just wandering if any knowledgeable Swedish fans could give me any info. on any of the Pred's Swedish prospects?

We have a bunch:

Magnus Hellberg
Simon Karlsson
Mattias Ekholm
Patrick Cehlin
Pontus Aberg
Simon Fernholm
Max Gortz

If any can tell me more about any of these guys that would be helpful. Thanks.
Short comments:

Hellberg: had a so and so first season in SEL (often takes young goalies a season to adapt though), big potential in this huge goalie. Will play in AHL net season I think.
Simon Karlsson, posted good numbers in Superelit, but didn't get a chance to play in Allsvenskan, rumoured to moveoverto CHL
Mattias Ekholm: A bit uneven, with ups and downs in his last seasons, but when he is on his game he look fantastic, good both ways, reads the game well, future second-pairing guy perhaps? Moving over to NHL/AHL now.
Patric Cehlin:Starting to give up hope on him, even though he has a nice skillset. Needs to gain confidenceand play some good minutes, hopefully he suceeds in AHL this year.
Pontus Åberg: Very speedy, very good shot, will be exciting to see howhe does next year in Allsvenskan. Had a good first yearin SEL this year, but histeam got relegated.
Simon Fernholm: Big sturdy stay at home d-man, coming from a good season in Superleit, changing teams to net year.
Max Görtz: Can turn out great, he have a shot at a breaktrough net year in Sel, big body that shoots right, NHL-upside is probably as a bottom-six player.

Really likes Nashvilles swedish picks, they seem to have a scout that can find swedish gems in late rounds.

Old
06-28-2012, 12:29 PM
alexmanu

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerupmurray View Post
Short comments:

Hellberg: had a so and so first season in SEL (often takes young goalies a season to adapt though), big potential in this huge goalie. Will play in AHL net season I think.
Simon Karlsson, posted good numbers in Superelit, but didn't get a chance to play in Allsvenskan, rumoured to moveoverto CHL
Mattias Ekholm: A bit uneven, with ups and downs in his last seasons, but when he is on his game he look fantastic, good both ways, reads the game well, future second-pairing guy perhaps? Moving over to NHL/AHL now.
Patric Cehlin:Starting to give up hope on him, even though he has a nice skillset. Needs to gain confidenceand play some good minutes, hopefully he suceeds in AHL this year.
Pontus Åberg: Very speedy, very good shot, will be exciting to see howhe does next year in Allsvenskan. Had a good first yearin SEL this year, but histeam got relegated.
Simon Fernholm: Big sturdy stay at home d-man, coming from a good season in Superleit, changing teams to net year.
Max Görtz: Can turn out great, he have a shot at a breaktrough net year in Sel, big body that shoots right, NHL-upside is probably as a bottom-six player.

Really likes Nashvilles swedish picks, they seem to have a scout that can find swedish gems in late rounds.
Thanks for the info., I personally think Mattias Ekholm will succeed. I'm hopefully that he will crack the Preds line-up at some point next season. Preds have a long list of good young D-men though; Josi, Ellis, Blum, Ekholm, Charles-Olivier Roussel, Garrett Noonan, Mikko Vainonen etc....so it will be tough.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:08 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by romelson View Post
According to this blog post(linked page in Swedish), Oscar Sundqvist, is on an airplane right now, crossing the Atlantic to attend the draft.

http://norran.se/hockeybloggen/?ifra...an.se/?p=33733

According to the blog post, Skelleftea junior coach Lind says about 10 NHL clubs has shown some interest in Oscar (doesnt say to what level they've shown interest). But Lind mentions that Detroit, Columbus, St Louis & Pittsburgh are among those clubs.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=41621
If Detroit were interested in him then I feel good about the pick .

Old
06-28-2012, 03:10 PM
bottomofthefoodchain

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
If Detroit were interested in him then I feel good about the pick .
I've never heard of him before, and it's surprising he's only played 2 SuperElit games. Will be interesting to follow him

Old
06-28-2012, 05:56 PM
Tormentor

It seems that Elias Lindholm, Jacob de la Rose, Robert Hägg and André Burakovsky are some of the many highly regarded Swedes for the 2013 NHL Draft, but what would an early top-10 actually look like? Any thoughts?

Old
06-28-2012, 08:49 PM
Ferros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbcraig1883 View Post
Do you see potential there? Did he progress over the course of the season? Sounds like the plan is to keep him in Lulea next year.

And thanks for your response!
I can tell you a bit about Gunnarsson.

Last season he took a step from Leksand in Allsvenskan (SEL-2) to Luleå and Elitserien. Most people expected him to play a lot in the J20 series but he did very well in the pre-season and due to injuries he got a few opportunities in Elitserien and he impressed everyone.

He is very smart and simple in his own end, he has tried some fancy stuff a few times which didn't turn out too good but he is at an age where he has to try to see what he is capable of. Mostly he impressed us with his offensive play, he wasn't afraid to shoot the puck, he has quite a decent slapper, and to make good plays in tricky situations even though he lacked experience at the level his was playing at.

Sadly he had a dip in the middle of the season, like a lot of younger players and he wasn't playing with the same confidence as he did once he got the chance in SEL at the beginning of the season, which probably cost him the WJC-spot. Either way he developed a lot last season, I remember when it was announced that he would move to Luleå, a lot of Leksand-fans didn't know why he was going to a SEL club since "he wasn't good enough to play in SEL-2, why would he even go to a SEL club" and then he turned out to be one of the better young defensemen in the league.

Next season he should get plenty of time on the powerplay since Luleå lost their best PP-defenseman without replacing him and it is said that the younger players (i e Gunnarsson) will get plenty of powerplay-time. So his point-production will probably be higher than last season with quite a bit.

edit: sorry about the crappy writing but it is 03:49 AM here.

Old
06-29-2012, 02:21 AM
B Boarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
It seems that Elias Lindholm, Jacob de la Rose, Robert Hägg and André Burakovsky are some of the many highly regarded Swedes for the 2013 NHL Draft, but what would an early top-10 actually look like? Any thoughts?
It's still very early but Elias Lindholm should be just within top 10 at this stage. Nick Sörensen might have a chance getting there and so does Hägg. The 2013 draft could be extremely deep for Sweden. Some other prospects, except from the ones you mentioned, that look like they could go in round 1-3 are Gustav Possler, Lucas Wallmark, Victor Crus Rydberg, Tobias Liljendahl, Anton Cederholm, Amil Krupic, Marcus Högberg, Linus Arnesson and Alexander Wennberg.

Then we have some wild cards such as Andreas Johnson, Victor Öhman, Leon Bristedt, Adam Brodecki, Kevin Ekman-Larsson.

I have probably forgot some and then some new players will probably develop a lot and some of the players above will regress a bit.

Old
06-29-2012, 05:15 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Boarding View Post
It's still very early but Elias Lindholm should be just within top 10 at this stage.
Hockeyprospect.com made the following comment about Lindholm during the WU18C's:

Quote:
Elias Lindholm: In the 'beating the dead horse' department, Lindholm was great again. In my opinion he was the best player on the ice vs both Latvia & Russia. The combination of Elias Lindholm and Forsberg on the same line has been scary for opponents. Thinking ahead to future World Jr's at Christmas and Sweden will have a deadly top line. Other than not being an overly big kid, Elias has no glaring weakness in his game. He is smart, skilled and has an outstanding work ethic. I chatted with many NHL scouts about him. It led to one scout talking about the 2013 draft with me. He told me he already had over 90 players on his 2013 draft list. Elias will be near the top of that list, many other scouts lists and is already a top 5 player on our 2013 list.
Obviously Lindholm is up there, but I've seen Hägg, Burakovsky, de la Rose and Arnesson quite high on some list as well. Naturally there are plenty of others as well. Things are going to change during the next 12 months, but I was just wondering how Swedes themselves see this draft at the moment. Would anyone be willing to post an early top-10 Swedes in 2013 draft, from their point of view?

Old
06-29-2012, 10:52 AM
B Boarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
Hockeyprospect.com made the following comment about Lindholm during the WU18C's:

Obviously Lindholm is up there, but I've seen Hägg, Burakovsky, de la Rose and Arnesson quite high on some list as well. Naturally there are plenty of others as well. Things are going to change during the next 12 months, but I was just wondering how Swedes themselves see this draft at the moment. Would anyone be willing to post an early top-10 Swedes in 2013 draft, from their point of view?
Here's my try for an early top 10, with suggested draft positions for the top 10. I think this could be one of Swedens deepest drafts ever. But there might only be 2-3 really top level prospects.

1. Elias Lindholm, C 5-10
2. Nick Sörensen, RW 10-20
3. Robert Hägg, D 10-20
4. André Burakovksy, C 20-30
5. Jacob De La Rose, C 20-30
6. Gustav Possler, LW/RW 25-40
7. Amil Krupic, D 25-50
8. Anton Cederholm, D 25-50
9. Lukas Wallmark, C 25-50
10. Linus Arnesson, D 25-50

Lindholm is #1 and Sörensen #2 as of right now. The rest in the top 10 is almost interchangeable. Probably being drafted anywhere from mid-first round to late second. I should mention that I haven't seen Krupic and Cederholm playing but going on reports.

HM:
Alexander Wennberg, C
Tobias Liljendahl, C
Marcus Högberg, G
They are looking like typical second rounders to me. Liljendahls skating is holding him back at the moment though.

Dark horses:
Victor Crus Rydberg, C
Victor Öhman, C
Crus Rydberg has amazing hands and vision. I saw him playing the TV-pucken tournament in September 2010 and was blown away by good he was and how much he looked like Bäckström. I didn't see him play last season but apparently he struggled the first half of the season but picked it up a bit the second half. I don't know what was holding him back, maybe that he's not a fast skater. If he puts it together he could be a top pick for the 2013 draft, because the talent level is there.
Öhman is a smallish playmaking center who puts up a lot of points.

Old
06-30-2012, 01:31 PM
BPilgrim

Quote:

3. Robert Hägg, D 10-20
7. Amil Krupic, D 25-50

HM:
Alexander Wennberg, C
Tobias Liljendahl, C
Marcus Högberg, G
They are looking like typical second rounders to me. Liljendahls skating is holding him back at the moment though.

Dark horses:
Victor Crus Rydberg, C
Victor Öhman, C
Crus Rydberg has amazing hands and vision. I saw him playing the TV-pucken tournament in September 2010 and was blown away by good he was and how much he looked like Bäckström. I didn't see him play last season but apparently he struggled the first half of the season but picked it up a bit the second half. I don't know what was holding him back, maybe that he's not a fast skater. If he puts it together he could be a top pick for the 2013 draft, because the talent level is there.
Good lists and things really look promising for swedish prospect for the 2013 draft. One player I really like is Amil Krupic and I think he might rise to be top 1-2 swedish players. Maybe it was negative for his development that Rögle got promoted to SEL though.

Marcus Högberg is, to me, at the same level as Dansk. Goalkeepers are hard to predict but if Högberg makes another good season in SuperElit i think he might go early second round.

Victor Crus-Rydberg had som ups and downs last season. He came to LHC with huge expectations and had trouble living up to them before christmas. At the end of J18 Elit he suffered from a fractured arm and had a setback but when he was back for J18 Allsvenskan he was prolific and pretty much led LHC to the QF:s. His skating is an issue but everyone involved is aware of that and are working hard for him to improve it. Next year he will be a key player for the J20 team which I think will only do him good.

Old
06-30-2012, 02:21 PM
cheerupmurray

Quote:
Here's my try for an early top 10, with suggested draft positions for the top 10. I think this could be one of Swedens deepest drafts ever. But there might only be 2-3 really top level prospects.

3. Robert Hägg, D 10-20
7. Amil Krupic, D 25-50

Lindholm is #1 and Sörensen #2 as of right now. The rest in the top 10 is almost interchangeable. Probably being drafted anywhere from mid-first round to late second. I should mention that I haven't seen Krupic and Cederholm playing but going on reports.

HM:
Alexander Wennberg, C
Tobias Liljendahl, C
Marcus Högberg, G

Dark horses:
Victor Crus Rydberg, C
Victor Öhman, C
As often with swedes much depends on which players can get a sniff at senior hockey. If a guy like Wennberg can play some for Djurgården in SEL-2 and put up some points, his stock might rise a lot. Same thing with Linus Arnesson. André Burakovsky have a great chance to get playtime for Malmö, and I have a good feeling about his chances of a minor breakthrough next year, he could be a riser.

Players that basicly just plays junior hockey in Sweden rarely gets drafted in the first round (well unless they do something exceptional in a IHHF-tournamnet, or have a very obvious high upside).

Old
06-30-2012, 07:11 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPilgrim View Post
Good lists and things really look promising for swedish prospect for the 2013 draft. One player I really like is Amil Krupic and I think he might rise to be top 1-2 swedish players. Maybe it was negative for his development that Rögle got promoted to SEL though.

Marcus Högberg is, to me, at the same level as Dansk. Goalkeepers are hard to predict but if Högberg makes another good season in SuperElit i think he might go early second round.

Victor Crus-Rydberg had som ups and downs last season. He came to LHC with huge expectations and had trouble living up to them before christmas. At the end of J18 Elit he suffered from a fractured arm and had a setback but when he was back for J18 Allsvenskan he was prolific and pretty much led LHC to the QF:s. His skating is an issue but everyone involved is aware of that and are working hard for him to improve it. Next year he will be a key player for the J20 team which I think will only do him good.
After seeing him in the J18 and J20 playoffs I echo this. Big body, looked mature beyond his years, can run the PP and make plays. Late birthdate that could rise a lot, especially if he has a good Hlinka and WJC-18. But it's hard to compete with E.Lindholm, who'll play in the SEL and higher junior competition, for any Swede in this draft class.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:51 AM
icing

Have not seen this posted anywhere.

Swedish team to Ivan Hlinka:

Goalies
Ebbe Siönäs, AIK
Jonas Johansson, Brynäs

Defenders
Amil Krupic, Rögle
Robert Hägg, Modo
Anton Cederholm, Rögle
Julius Bergman, Karlskrona
Wilhelm Westlund, Färjestad
David Westlund, Brynäs
Emil Johansson, HV71

Forwards
Rasmus Fyrpihl, Örebro
Alexander Henriksson, Färjestad
André Burakovsky, Malmö
Tobias Liljedahl, Djurgården
Victor Crus Rydberg, Linköping
Fabian Gunnarsson, Modo
Adam Brodecki, Brynäs
Jacob de la Rose, Leksand
Leon Bristedt, Linköping
Victor Öhman, Modo
Gustaf Franzén, HV71
Anton Karlsson, Frölunda
Lucas Wallmark, Skellefteå

Old
07-01-2012, 12:06 PM
B Boarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by icing View Post
Have not seen this posted anywhere.

Swedish team to Ivan Hlinka:

Goalies
Ebbe Siönäs, AIK
Jonas Johansson, Brynäs

Defenders
Amil Krupic, Rögle
Robert Hägg, Modo
Anton Cederholm, Rögle
Julius Bergman, Karlskrona
Wilhelm Westlund, Färjestad
David Westlund, Brynäs
Emil Johansson, HV71

Forwards
Rasmus Fyrpihl, Örebro
Alexander Henriksson, Färjestad
André Burakovsky, Malmö
Tobias Liljedahl, Djurgården
Victor Crus Rydberg, Linköping
Fabian Gunnarsson, Modo
Adam Brodecki, Brynäs
Jacob de la Rose, Leksand
Leon Bristedt, Linköping
Victor Öhman, Modo
Gustaf Franzén, HV71
Anton Karlsson, Frölunda
Lucas Wallmark, Skellefteå

Have anybody seen Julius Bergman play? He's been playing on a really "remote" team. I've heard really good things about him. He's a 2014 draftee.

Old
07-02-2012, 12:48 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Magnus Nygren
Erik Nystrom
Sebastien Collberg

Collberg is a more known prospect, but if there's anything interesting on him, or tidbits about the rest would be appreciated.

I remember reading Swedish fans say Nystrom was a solid pick up in the 6th round.

Old
07-03-2012, 05:05 AM
BPilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Magnus Nygren
Erik Nystrom
Sebastien Collberg

Collberg is a more known prospect, but if there's anything interesting on him, or tidbits about the rest would be appreciated.

I remember reading Swedish fans say Nystrom was a solid pick up in the 6th round.
Magnus Nygren is an offensive D with a great shot from the blue line. He's been in and out of Färjestads line up past couple of seasons due to his not so great defensive skills. On the pp he is a great asset though and I think he was used only on the pp from time to time also.

Erik Nyström was one of the best forwards in the J20 topp-10 last season. He is very skilled, quick and can both score on his own and set up goals. Modo had quite a few hyped forwards on their line up last season and Nyström wasn't one of them. However I think he outshone them all.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:12 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPilgrim View Post
Magnus Nygren is an offensive D with a great shot from the blue line. He's been in and out of Färjestads line up past couple of seasons due to his not so great defensive skills. On the pp he is a great asset though and I think he was used only on the pp from time to time also.

Erik Nyström was one of the best forwards in the J20 topp-10 last season. He is very skilled, quick and can both score on his own and set up goals. Modo had quite a few hyped forwards on their line up last season and Nyström wasn't one of them. However I think he outshone them all.
Nygren still needs work ?

Trevor Timmins (head scout of the habs) was excited with picking Nystrom (same with our other picks ), but referred to Nystrom as the sleeper.

I hope at least one of these prospects works out. Montreal has terrible luck with Swedes which I don't understand since they're always useful defensively at the very least.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:04 PM
Ladra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Nygren still needs work ?

Trevor Timmins (head scout of the habs) was excited with picking Nystrom (same with our other picks ), but referred to Nystrom as the sleeper.

I hope at least one of these prospects works out. Montreal has terrible luck with Swedes which I don't understand since they're always useful defensively at the very least.
I thought that Nygren regressed last year. His got one hell of a shot though... but can't play D

Old
07-05-2012, 07:47 AM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladra View Post
I thought that Nygren regressed last year. His got one hell of a shot though... but can't play D
That's what they said about Karlsson.

His SEL career has been a lot like Karlsson's, though, albeit not to the same extremes. Valuable to the power play and skilled, but the coaches are all hesistant to put him out there in any kind of defensive situation.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:36 PM
KlattNazty

anybody got some info on viktor loov?

been quite impressed by him in this development camp, certainly brings a well rounded game

Old
07-05-2012, 02:12 PM
JacketsFanWest

Daniel Zaar (Rögle) is doing well at Jackets' prospect camp and turning a lot of heads.

Quote:
Continue to be impressed by young Swede Daniel Zaar. He's got zip to his game and he really works quickly off the rush. Spoke briefly with CBJ senior advisor Craig Patrick about Zaar, and he's been pleasantly surprised. Likes his offensive game and his skating.

http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/blog.htm?id=728

Old
07-05-2012, 04:15 PM
RomersWorld*

Anyone ever seen Viktor Svedberg play? He will be attending the Blackhawks camp and played for Frolunda last season.

He is listed as 6'8, 235 and born in 1991. I am very intrigued by this player... is he any good or does he have potential?

Old
07-05-2012, 04:22 PM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
Anyone ever seen Viktor Svedberg play? He will be attending the Blackhawks camp and played for Frolunda last season.

He is listed as 6'8, 235 and born in 1991. I am very intrigued by this player... is he any good or does he have potential?
Well, he's always been intruiging because of his size, but he's not really a mean player. I'd say his sense and relative mobility is unusual for a player of that stature, and if he would just "learn" to be a meaner, more physical guy, he'd have an outside chance.

Closed Thread