HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Swedish Prospect Update Thread - Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2012, 11:48 AM
Mathletic

vCash: 500
what position does Arvid Lundberg play most of the time? I see him listed as D/C on eliteprospects

Last edited by Mathletic: 07-08-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old
07-08-2012, 07:35 PM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
what position does Arvid Lundberg play most of the time? I see him listed as D/C on eliteprospects
He's a D. Think he played a few at C in the U18 league, but wouldn't know for sure. Never played anything but D in the U20's.

Old
07-09-2012, 07:25 AM
romelson

Send a message via MSN to romelson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
He was center, but became d-man. There's another interesting d-man in Skellefteå, Marcus Pettersson, born 96, that also went from center to d-man, in early autumn 2011. Im not sure, but it seems as Skelleftea is actively evaluating each players abilities versus optimal position. Or it could be pure coincidence that players swap to d-man in Skelleftea, at quite late stage. Anyway, this club has been remarkably successful in developing d-man prospects over the last years, so whatever they do, they seem to know what they are doing.

Old
07-09-2012, 07:00 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by romelson View Post
He was center, but became d-man. There's another interesting d-man in Skellefteå, Marcus Pettersson, born 96, that also went from center to d-man, in early autumn 2011. Im not sure, but it seems as Skelleftea is actively evaluating each players abilities versus optimal position. Or it could be pure coincidence that players swap to d-man in Skelleftea, at quite late stage. Anyway, this club has been remarkably successful in developing d-man prospects over the last years, so whatever they do, they seem to know what they are doing.
When the habs drafted Andrei Markov, he was a centre. I guess it's possible to change at any time.

Usually if a player goes from forward to d, it's because their defensive awareness is better than offense. That is at a late stage. Sometimes earlier on in hockey if a player does that it's so that player can play more because they're visibly better than everyone else.

Old
07-14-2012, 09:09 AM
rynryn
Reluctant Optimist

I can't shut up about Brodin. I was confused when we drafted him, but talked to Brad Bombardier like a half hour after the first round was over and he said they were praying no one took him. Best skater in the draft (not necessarily the fastest, but the best) and so intelligent you'd think he'd been playing pro hockey for a decade. They were confident he could play in the NHL last year (maybe sheltered minutes, but still make a positive contribution) but were worried about his size. This guy is awesome. I can see him starting on the third pairing this year and working his way up in minutes. I'd love to see him with Suter...that would allow one or the other of them to explore their offensive game more as the other is almost mistake free in their own end and could cover.

At the first scrimmage yesterday he looked shaky in the first half, but came out in the second clearly concentrating on the transition and shot the puck every opportunity he had when his team had the puck in the O zone. Not a hard shot, but on target and quick enough.

thank you, Sweden!

Old
07-29-2012, 05:57 PM
CanadienKid25

I couldn't find anything on Patrick Cehlin. Anyone excited for him to play in the AHL? How is his development going? Should we expect a solid NHLer?

Old
07-29-2012, 06:00 PM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienKid25 View Post
I couldn't find anything on Patrick Cehlin. Anyone excited for him to play in the AHL? How is his development going? Should we expect a solid NHLer?
I don't think too many are expecting an NHLer out of Cehlin. Had you asked a year or two ago many would've been way more positive on him, but he's stagnated a bit, and it was a tough season for him and his team this year (he did score 10 goals, though, so it's not like he's progressing terribly).

It will be interesting to see if his intensity and relatively north-south game will make him more effective on NA rinks.

Old
07-30-2012, 01:55 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienKid25 View Post
Like Steffe said, it is more than time for him to take the step to the AHL. I'd say the odds are against him at this point. He's smallish and hasn't shown he can put up big points at men's level.

Old
07-30-2012, 10:53 AM
BigG44

Where can you get scoring or updates on the U20 camp in Norrtälje?

Old
07-30-2012, 04:58 PM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
There probably won't be anything like that for the scrimmages but stats.swehockey.se should have info on the Czech game on Wednesday. I may do something on Twitter as well.

Old
07-30-2012, 10:57 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
There probably won't be anything like that for the scrimmages but stats.swehockey.se should have info on the Czech game on Wednesday. I may do something on Twitter as well.
Thank you. To be honest, I'm being selfish because I'm interested in Dallas' prospects in the mix. I'm hoping to hear both Ludwig Bystrom and Emil Molin make the final cut to come over to Lake Placid and ultimately the WJC.

I've never actually been able to see Molin play a game, and since I get the impression he could probably spend this season and next in Sweden, the WJC might be the only chance to see him in the next two years.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems Bystrom has a very good shot at the WJC the next two seasons. I'm not as concerned about my chances of seeing him.

Old
07-31-2012, 07:00 AM
WayneBruce

Quote:
Scoring from first scrimmage:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfrilla View Post
Sweden Yellow - Sweden Blue 5-6

0-1 Filip Forsberg
0-2 Max Görtz (Jakob Lilja)
0-3 Erik Karlsson (Ludwig Byström)
1-3 Emil Molin (Hampus Lindholm)
1-4 Filip Forsberg
2-4 Viktor Arvidsson
3-4 Emil Lundberg
4-4 Mika Zibanejad (Jonatan Nielsen)
4-5 Filip Forsberg (Erik Karlsson)
4-6 Oscar Klefbom
5-6 Malte Strömwall (Hampus Lindholm, Emil Lundberg)

Old
07-31-2012, 08:01 AM
Tomas W

Detroit should have thrown a late pick at Emil Lundberg....maybe next time.

Old
08-01-2012, 07:53 AM
sg58

Quote:
Thank you. To be honest, I'm being selfish because I'm interested in Dallas' prospects in the mix. I'm hoping to hear both Ludwig Bystrom and Emil Molin make the final cut to come over to Lake Placid and ultimately the WJC.

I've never actually been able to see Molin play a game, and since I get the impression he could probably spend this season and next in Sweden, the WJC might be the only chance to see him in the next two years.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems Bystrom has a very good shot at the WJC the next two seasons. I'm not as concerned about my chances of seeing him.
Byström is an absolute lock to make the WJC team, and all the signs are pointing towards him being in North America next year, be that in Plymouth, with the Texas Stars or even Dallas, if he hits the jackpot.

Old
08-01-2012, 11:45 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Byström is an absolute lock to make the WJC team, and all the signs are pointing towards him being in North America next year, be that in Plymouth, with the Texas Stars or even Dallas, if he hits the jackpot.
I got the impression he probably won't ever play for Plymouth based on this article.

I know Les Jackson and the scouting staff have a ton of respect for the Swedish teams ability to develop young players. This is Jackson on Bystrom's development with MODO, "There’s a lot of value there and he’s in a good position in Sweden. He’s going to get good development and he’s going to get good coaching.”

Just based on recent history with Philip Larsen and Patrik Nemeth, I get the feeling Dallas wants him to develop against men in the SEL. I hope he does stay in Sweden for two years like Nemeth and Larsen did after their draft.

There's a bit of a logjam at D right now in Dallas and Texas. Just trying to best project the following year you'd be looking at:

2013-14 Dallas (NHL): Trevor Daley, Brenden Dillon, Alex Goligoski, Philip Larsen, Patrik Nemeth, Stephane Robidas*, and Aaron Rome

*I don't think Robidas has a firm hold on a roster spot in 2013-14, but he's under contract. I think he's ultimately replaced by Jamie Oleksiak.

2013-14 Texas (AHL): Jordie Benn, Jyrki Jokipakka, Hubert Labrie, Jamie Oleksiak, Troy Vance

Other possibilities would be Ludwig Bystrom, John Klingberg, or Jace Coyle, but Dallas also likes to have veteran D with their younger players in the AHL. For example, this season Texas will have Tyler Sloan and Maxime Fortunus as veteran voices on the blueline. I imagine at least one could return in 2013-14 to fill that role again. Since Klingberg is out half the year because of surgery, I imagine he'll spend at least another year in Sweden in 2013-14. I don't think they'd rush Bystrom at this point either. Instead they'd likely opt for a 2nd hopefully full season with MODO.

If the circumstance are perfect, Bystrom wouldn't play a game in NA until 2014-15. Dallas is a patient organization when it comes to developing players.

Old
08-01-2012, 04:28 PM
joe89

This is Bystrom's last year year of contract in Sweden, I guess that's why it could be likely he goes to North America next year. It definitely wouldn't hurt him with two SEL seasons, but he needs ice time. A year in the CHL probably wouldn't be such a bad thing. Bit too early to speculate though.

Old
08-02-2012, 05:29 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
Since Klingberg is out half the year because of surgery, I imagine he'll spend at least another year in Sweden in 2013-14.
ouch, what happened? ACL?

Old
08-02-2012, 07:58 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicecopter View Post
Several local Dallas reporters confirmed he had major hip surgery. Via Twitter, Klingberg revealed he was in Dallas for 7 weeks from May to June for 2 surgeries and rehab. Elite Prospects is the source for him possibly not returning until November.

Old
08-02-2012, 08:13 AM
Vant

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicecopter View Post
There was a decent article on hockeysverige a couple of weeks ago, some type of major hip surgery. Don't know if someone else got more information

http://www.hockeysverige.se/article/...a-vag-tillbaka

Half the season seems quite exaggerated though, if you look at the quote in the article.

"From the start it was said that it would take four months after surgery, but the rehabilitation has gone better than expected. Now my goal is to be back in a few weeks after the season starts. It's a goal I have set for myself to have something to aim for. Then we'll see how it goes."

If the four months is correct we are talking about in the mid of October, but I seems like we could see him on the ice much earlier.

Though I might be somewhat outdated here.

Old
08-02-2012, 10:46 AM
BigG44

It wasn't an exaggeration based on original reports, but the latest article you are quoting is great to here that they've revised the timeline.

Old
08-02-2012, 01:35 PM
Vant

Quote:
It wasn't an exaggeration based on original reports, but the latest article you are quoting is great to here that they've revised the timeline.
Sorry wasn't meant as criticism, maybe I was too blunt.

Hopefully we will see him get back from the injury and preform well, though I sadly doubt it. The defensive skill to even man a third pair in NHL just isn't there in my opinion and i have a hard time seeing it develop. Hopefully he can prove me wrong.

Old
08-02-2012, 06:40 PM
James Franco

How is Hampus Lindholm playing?

Old
08-03-2012, 11:09 AM
CanadienKid25

Quote:
I don't think too many are expecting an NHLer out of Cehlin. Had you asked a year or two ago many would've been way more positive on him, but he's stagnated a bit, and it was a tough season for him and his team this year (he did score 10 goals, though, so it's not like he's progressing terribly).

It will be interesting to see if his intensity and relatively north-south game will make him more effective on NA rinks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Like Steffe said, it is more than time for him to take the step to the AHL. I'd say the odds are against him at this point. He's smallish and hasn't shown he can put up big points at men's level.
Thanks.

Old
08-04-2012, 06:40 PM
rynryn
Reluctant Optimist

Wondering if any Swedes know for sure why Brodin isn't playing? is there any official word (fingers crossed) that he'll be playing NA this year?

Old
08-04-2012, 09:54 PM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
Wondering if any Swedes know for sure why Brodin isn't playing? is there any official word (fingers crossed) that he'll be playing NA this year?
Yeah, he'll try to make the Wild team and would probably (nothing else has been stated) go to Houston if he doesn't.

He's in the same boat as Mika Zibanejad, really. Sweden will have to hope they don't make their respective teams so they are stuck in the minors and can be loaned to the Jr. team.

Closed Thread