HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Leetch

Closed Thread

Old
08-21-2004, 06:51 PM
Leaf Lander

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Brian Leetch

How great was brian Leetch in his prime and how good os he today?

here is 2 links top 50 current nhl players

and all time draft

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=99170

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=99162

Old
08-21-2004, 09:26 PM
Bacchus

In his prime he was absolutely dominant and game-breaking.
In his prime he won two Norris and a Conn-Smythe and lead his team to a Stanley-Cup (some other guys deserve some credit as well, I know ).

Ask some Devils-, Flyers- and Isles-fans, I think you'll get some interesting answers.

Old
08-21-2004, 11:49 PM
Balej20*

Leetch is still capable of taking over a game single handily. See Isles games this past seaon.

Old
08-21-2004, 11:54 PM
Ocelot

He was simply amazing in the early to mid 90's. And Today can still somewhat carry the defence load with 25 mids a games.

Old
08-22-2004, 02:24 AM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
In his prime, Leetch was amazing to watch. He could just take over games and impact them. He still has the ability to make guys look silly when he wants to. But I'm not sure that's his role now in Toronto.

He's still a solid D-man that can log over 25 mins and PP time. Enjoy him while you can.

Old
08-22-2004, 03:34 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovy274Hart
In his prime, Leetch was amazing to watch. He could just take over games and impact them. He still has the ability to make guys look silly when he wants to. But I'm not sure that's his role now in Toronto.

He's still a solid D-man that can log over 25 mins and PP time. Enjoy him while you can.
I think Leetch can play till he is 40. Not many players do that.

Old
08-22-2004, 03:46 PM
Leaf Lander

i just wanted a nice discusion about how great leetch is.

then have people who know his game alot better then me coem here and express that side.

considering how he has been put down way to many times cause he is a ranger leaf player

Old
08-22-2004, 04:01 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
I think Leetch can play till he is 40. Not many players do that.
I agree with that. He just has to stay healthy. He's had some freaky injuries the past couple of years and still been able to comeback and be a good player.

Old
08-22-2004, 04:26 PM
LondonFan

I haven't seen nearly enough of Leetch, he's a guy I'd love to have seen play regularly. But my impression of him is that he is one of those guys who has "the sense" of the game. That kind of freakish ability that a few are just born with, coupled with a dedication to fitness and the game. I think maybe thats why he's not best suited to being a captain - but he can lead in a team in many other ways.

Old
08-22-2004, 04:29 PM
RANGER#11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovy274Hart
I agree with that. He just has to stay healthy. He's had some freaky injuries the past couple of years and still been able to comeback and be a good player.
I do not care what anyone says I want him back after this year.

Old
08-22-2004, 05:00 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Lander
i just wanted a nice discusion about how great leetch is.

then have people who know his game alot better then me coem here and express that side.

considering how he has been put down way to many times cause he is a ranger leaf player
Brian Leetch was a gamebreaker/top-5 player in the NHL. Brian Leetch is a top point-man on the powerplay and on offense and solid in his own end. I'd take him over Sergei Gonchar, BTW, even now.

By the way... Leetch was never a Leaf. This is coming from a Devils fan, and it pains me (a DEVILS fan) to see him in a jersey other than that of the New York Rangers. It'd be like if Daneyko was ever traded. It's just wrong.

Old
08-22-2004, 05:15 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER#11
I do not care what anyone says I want him back after this year.
Yea me too. Id love to have him back.

Old
08-22-2004, 06:02 PM
melisa

I would not want Leetch back unless the team shows drastic improvement with it's young players. I think a vet on defense can play till 40 if he has a strong, young, nucleus around him so he doesn't have to carry the team. If we can develop at least 3 strong young defenseman and forwards this year it might make sense to bring Leetch back. Otherwise, I would pass on Brian at this point.

Old
08-22-2004, 06:09 PM
TheZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame_Star_Devil
Brian Leetch was a gamebreaker/top-5 player in the NHL. Brian Leetch is a top point-man on the powerplay and on offense and solid in his own end. I'd take him over Sergei Gonchar, BTW, even now.

By the way... Leetch was never a Leaf. This is coming from a Devils fan, and it pains me (a DEVILS fan) to see him in a jersey other than that of the New York Rangers. It'd be like if Daneyko was ever traded. It's just wrong.
I know exactly wat u mean. I would love to see leetch back on this team. No matter how old he is. He is a TRUE ranger. Just like Richter. I hope his number gets retired in MSG after he retires.

Old
08-22-2004, 06:16 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727
I know exactly wat u mean. I would love to see leetch back on this team. No matter how old he is. He is a TRUE ranger. Just like Richter. I hope his number gets retired in MSG after he retires.
I hope he retires as a Ranger. I hope he comes back.

Old
08-22-2004, 07:17 PM
AG9NK35DT8*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
I hope he retires as a Ranger. I hope he comes back.
same here , but , will hem is the ?. i dont think he was thrilled that sather moved him. imo sather is not very rrespected in the NYR organization of players by guys like leetch, messier ( when he was playing the last couple years), holik. and i think alot of guys dont sign in ny because of sather, i dont think he is well liked and i think alot of the players are uncomfortable around him.

If Leetch does come back where would he fit in, most likely NYR would have to let poti go F.A ( they better ) and then lletch could probably fit in.

Pock, Rachunek, Leetch, Kasparitis, Kondratiev and Lampman. NOw with those 6 what i see is our defense getting beat up left and right because there is no toughness, but if thats what NYR works with then maybe some thing like this could work.these are just pairings not in any specific order of 1st pair and 3rd, just guys that would work well together..

Leetch - Rachunek
Kasparitis - Lampman / Kondratiev
Pock - Tyutin ( think they are 2 very very mature young guys who will learn and catch on quick, they aleady looked to be very nhl ready ( pock only 6 games but coming straihght from college played superb in those games ) mistakes are a must and will happen. but the 2 will learn quick )or go with these pairs.

leetch - Tyutin
Pock - rachunek
Kaspar - kondratiev / lampman ....... which ever is the better stay at home defenseman, which i think is kond so i guess he would get the spot considering i do like lampman to bad , NYR needs some defensive smarts at the moment.

Old
08-23-2004, 06:46 AM
melisa

I also question Leetch's heart last year. He has always been a player that played hard. Last year he didn't play hard. He was lazy, made tons of mistakes and didn't show any grit. Leetch to many fans can't do any wrong. However, if you look at it objectively he didn't give much effort last season.

Old
08-23-2004, 08:38 AM
Fletch

I somewhat agree Melisa...

which is a tough thing to do since Leetch is still currently one of my three top players and is one of my all-time favorite players. He's just a guy you like. But I don't chalk it up to lack of heart or laziness what you saw. It's like watching Angola vs. the 1992 U.S. Dream Team. Five guys were moving faster and in more sync than the other five guys. It's like getting faked-out and the guy goes in for the dunk. It was about not being in the right position because you don't know where others will be. It was about the puck going in easily when seemingly you did your job. It was a total collapse of a team in which so many looked bad, and many typically went on to look a lot better.

He does and always will have lapses on defense. He's often easily deked, but he makes it up in so many ways, be it a blocked shot in a close game where he sacrafices his body, or a rush up ice with the puck. I still can't believe he's not going to score point #1,000 as a Ranger.

Old
08-23-2004, 01:33 PM
kazo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
which is a tough thing to do since Leetch is still currently one of my three top players and is one of my all-time favorite players. He's just a guy you like. But I don't chalk it up to lack of heart or laziness what you saw. It's like watching Angola vs. the 1992 U.S. Dream Team. Five guys were moving faster and in more sync than the other five guys. It's like getting faked-out and the guy goes in for the dunk. It was about not being in the right position because you don't know where others will be. It was about the puck going in easily when seemingly you did your job. It was a total collapse of a team in which so many looked bad, and many typically went on to look a lot better.

He does and always will have lapses on defense. He's often easily deked, but he makes it up in so many ways, be it a blocked shot in a close game where he sacrafices his body, or a rush up ice with the puck. I still can't believe he's not going to score point #1,000 as a Ranger.
Biggest problem with NY fans in general, and Ranger fans in general, is their inability to move past things that are in the past and deal with now and the future. Gretzky in NY was a classic example.

Get over it people.

Old
08-23-2004, 02:06 PM
Fletch

TGO and Leetch...

are two different animals. If any one of the last couple Ranger GMs decided at the right point to rebuild (not in the seventh year of horrific play on the heals of a lockout), then Brian Leetch would've been a guy that could've been very helpful to that cause, and would've stuck it out with this team. When I say I can't believe Leetch isn't going to score his 1,000th point as a Ranger, I mean that as an indictment on the BS and ineptitude we've watched over the last seven seasons, and not so much something of nostalgia or the need to see a big name in New York. It's really just a sad commentary of the state of the Rangers, and the lack of leadership coming from the top the last several years.

Old
08-24-2004, 08:08 PM
Leaf Lander

Leetch played inspired hockey on a winning team while a member of the leafs.

I imagine losing all the time in New York wore him down.

I liek the rangers myself I hope you guys have a smooth transition and beome a good team once again very soon for the sakes of you good broadway blueshirt fans!

Closed Thread