HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nick Johnson is Minnesota Bound - Claimed Off Waivers.

Old
09-30-2011, 06:36 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

vCash: 500
I think some are letting camp decide if a player is up to snuff. Park will be very valuable come the start of the season, maybe not at first but he'll be an asset.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 06:38 PM
SomeDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ominous Grey View Post
And Park did kick Johnson out of a spot. He was not sent down (on a two-way) and Johnson was (on a one-way). Which is my entire point.
Johnson and Park both have two-way contracts. For the 1000th time, two-way contracts have nothing to do with waiver eligibility. They only allow a player to make less money when they're in the minors.

Remember when Rick Berry was claimed off waivers and Pens fans freaked out and thought we gave away a future NHL defenseman? This reminds me of that. Best of luck to Johnson, but I'd bet on him ending up back in Wilkes-Barre by the end of the year.

SomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 07:06 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ominous Grey View Post
Asham could definitely have a use. But he's too slow to fulfill that use, in my opinion.
Asham is one of the last guys I'd worry about on this team. He is a good player and one of the few times I got excited when Shero signed a vet. He is a playoff performer and that is what matters.

Quote:
And Park did kick Johnson out of a spot. He was not sent down (on a two-way) and Johnson was (on a one-way). Which is my entire point.
I don't see it that way. Park is competing with Vitale for that last 4th line spot.

Johnson would of had to beat out a Cooke or Dupuis to earn a roster spot.

Quote:
My apologies. I didn't get to see the highlights of that game, I live across state with an awful internet connection. I was talking about what I saw in the first two preseason games, and from what people commented on the last few.

If he did all that, then that is very, very encouraging to me.
I wouldn't go by what most people say when evaluating Tangradi. If he doesn't look like Kevin Stevens circa 1992 after 3 or 4 games, people get into a panic. It takes 30-40 games for young PFs to get comfortable and another year + to start showing their skills.

Quote:
Agreed. I just think it is representative of this whole pecking order business where grinders and vets are revered, and youth be damned. Just seems very silly to me.
I've been arguing that Shero needs to make room for his prospects for a couple of years now, so I feel you. It is what it is and I've learned not to get pissed about it, because it is out of my control.

Not every GM thinks like Shero, so his way isn't necessarily right or wrong. He is running the team and is a hell of a GM. He just likes over ripe prospects and defers to vets, even if it isn't always the best option. His philosophy cost the Pens a nice prospect who was NHL ready, but it isn't something I'll lose sleep over.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:05 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDude View Post
Johnson and Park both have two-way contracts. For the 1000th time, two-way contracts have nothing to do with waiver eligibility. They only allow a player to make less money when they're in the minors.

Remember when Rick Berry was claimed off waivers and Pens fans freaked out and thought we gave away a future NHL defenseman? This reminds me of that. Best of luck to Johnson, but I'd bet on him ending up back in Wilkes-Barre by the end of the year.
I'm not going to bother with the dissenting replies to my prior post and just stick with agreeing with this.

I like Johnson. A lot. He usually ranked higher in my rankings than most people that have been here for a long time. He's a solid depth player and he does bring a good something to any team he plays for.

I don't buy that he's going to be anything more than a replacement player (to use a MLB term) in his career. He's going on 26 years old, lets not pretend that him being a .8 PPG player in the AHL means a whole lot.

He's depth. We're a better team with him in the system, no doubt, but we're not going to lose a whole lot because he's out of the system. The waivers system exists for a reason, and Johnson was only ever going to get his chances in the NHL with a bunch of injuries in the NHL. Guys just like Johnson will be on waivers this year, and there's still a good chance he ends up in WBS anyway.

If you want to turn this into a Johnson or Park thing, then that's your prerogative. Park probably did cost Johnson his job in Pittsburgh...but I don't see 14th forward as that big of a deal. I don't really see the difference between Park and Johnson aside from age, which works as both a pro and a con on both sides.

We're a slightly weaker organization today than we were at 11 am yesterday. It happens. This isn't a video game, you can't keep a roster and a half of NHLers in your system without losing a guy to waivers once-in-a-while.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:16 PM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
I'm not going to bother with the dissenting replies to my prior post and just stick with agreeing with this.

I like Johnson. A lot. He usually ranked higher in my rankings than most people that have been here for a long time. He's a solid depth player and he does bring a good something to any team he plays for.

I don't buy that he's going to be anything more than a replacement player (to use a MLB term) in his career. He's going on 26 years old, lets not pretend that him being a .8 PPG player in the AHL means a whole lot.

He's depth. We're a better team with him in the system, no doubt, but we're not going to lose a whole lot because he's out of the system. The waivers system exists for a reason, and Johnson was only ever going to get his chances in the NHL with a bunch of injuries in the NHL. Guys just like Johnson will be on waivers this year, and there's still a good chance he ends up in WBS anyway.

If you want to turn this into a Johnson or Park thing, then that's your prerogative. Park probably did cost Johnson his job in Pittsburgh...but I don't see 14th forward as that big of a deal. I don't really see the difference between Park and Johnson aside from age, which works as both a pro and a con on both sides.

We're a slightly weaker organization today than we were at 11 am yesterday. It happens. This isn't a video game, you can't keep a roster and a half of NHLers in your system without losing a guy to waivers once-in-a-while.
After two years out of the NHL and the preseason he had, Park would have passed through waivers. That's the difference between the two. Also, Johnson can play further up the depth chart than Park without looking totally out of his depth. Johnson had some decent games on Malkin's wing when he got called up a couple years ago.

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:30 AM
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

I don't really get the logic that Park took Johnson's spot. Park isn't making this team, or at least it would really surprise me if he did. All sending Park down instead of Johnson would do is delay the process of him being claimed by another team.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 04:29 AM
Whakahere

Send a message via MSN to Whakahere
Johnson was sent down now to sneak him through waivers. sending down now often states that they are not NHL ready. He didn't make it all the way through camp so teams don't look too hard at him. The problem for us was ..... flecter and yeo! they know this guy and most likely had someone in Pittsburgh telling them how he did.

Shero did the same thing when he first came here. He picked up guys he knew. We just couldn't get Johnson past these guys. So be it.

Whakahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 10:00 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkin4Top6Wingerz View Post
I don't really get the logic that Park took Johnson's spot. Park isn't making this team, or at least it would really surprise me if he did. All sending Park down instead of Johnson would do is delay the process of him being claimed by another team.
Right. And rather be sent through waivers when teams were making massive cuts, he'd be sent down when teams were only sending down a player or two.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Levizk

Damn and just when I finally got my Nick Johnson card too.
If this were Despres, Tangradi, or Bennett I might be pissed, but it's Nick Johnson. I'm happy for him to get a chance to play somewhere, because if I was in his situation I wouldn't want to be someone's call up forever.

Levizk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 02:06 PM
Whakahere

Send a message via MSN to Whakahere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levizk View Post

If this were Despres, Tangradi, or Bennett I might be pissed, but it's Nick Johnson. I'm happy for him to get a chance to play somewhere, because if I was in his situation I wouldn't want to be someone's call up forever.
+1 to that. He might get an NHL career yet. good for him.

Whakahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 04:04 PM
redsono93

Any guys that got waived you think we should take a shot on them? I think if he sneaks through how about Ryan Parent? He was a 1st round draft pick of the Predators.

redsono93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 04:36 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsono93 View Post
Any guys that got waived you think we should take a shot on them? I think if he sneaks through how about Ryan Parent? He was a 1st round draft pick of the Predators.
I would take a chance on Parent to play the left side with Matt Niskanen, waive or trade Lovejoy and keep Engelland as the 7th defenseman.

Orpik-Letang
Martin-Michalek
Parent-Niskanen

That's actually a lineup I had on my Be A GM file on NHL 11

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 05:10 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Tikhonov could be an interesting pickup.

Hans Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 05:22 PM
SomeDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
Tikhonov could be an interesting pickup.
Yes he would be. I doubt that we'll take him, though. The forwards are clogged as it is and I'd be a bit surprised if he made it to us, although it wouldn't be shocking if he clears. I think he'd benefit from a change of scenery, though.

Old
10-01-2011, 05:25 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

I will say I've liked Parks game the past two he's played in, but if he makes the team over Vitale, I'll be a little upset.

I'm not very experienced with Vitales game, bc I don't follow the baby pens at all, but this camp, he has REALLY impressed me. His hustle and tenacity is great. He seems really good in the face off circle and he's not afraid to go to the dirty areas, or lay the body. He also seems like a solid PK'er.

Can someone tell me what kinda goal totals he could come up with?

M0NTY26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 06:35 PM
redsono93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
I would take a chance on Parent to play the left side with Matt Niskanen, waive or trade Lovejoy and keep Engelland as the 7th defenseman.

Orpik-Letang
Martin-Michalek
Parent-Niskanen

That's actually a lineup I had on my Be A GM file on NHL 11
That's what I was thinking Parent as a 3rd pair defensemen. Wasn't he part of a big trade a few years ago? Tikhonov would be sweet too. Who would we need to drop or trade to add the two of them?

Last edited by redsono93: 10-01-2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old
10-01-2011, 07:20 PM
clefty
What?

Tikhonov is a lot of what we already have in terms of being a third/fourth line winger, only unestablished. He might have rounded out an offensive game if Phoenix had the slightest clue what they were doing with prospects.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 09:07 PM
redsono93

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
Tikhonov is a lot of what we already have in terms of being a third/fourth line winger, only unestablished. He might have rounded out an offensive game if Phoenix had the slightest clue what they were doing with prospects.
He's still young enough to give him a try out and see if he has a scoring touch.

Old
10-01-2011, 10:48 PM
clefty
What?

Blood from a stone.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 04:03 PM
stefanh

NJ is playing for the Wild but he's getting fourth line minutes. 8 minutes in the first game and under 4 minutes today. If this continues he might be back in the organisation sooner than late.

stefanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 06:00 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanh View Post
NJ is playing for the Wild but he's getting fourth line minutes. 8 minutes in the first game and under 4 minutes today. If this continues he might be back in the organisation sooner than late.
We don't get first crack at Johnson if he is waived again. At least, I don't think so.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 06:04 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
We don't get first crack at Johnson if he is waived again. At least, I don't think so.
I believe we do. Washington did when we waived Bourque, I think.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 06:07 PM
SomeDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Yes, this is right. When a player previously claimed is put on waivers again, the team that lost them gets first option and can send them directly to the AHL without having to put them on waivers again.

Old
10-10-2011, 06:11 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

You guys might be right. I thought I read on the main board that this scenario applies to traded players, not waived players. And I thought the Caps were the only team to put in a claim for Bourque, which is why they landed him again.

I was under the impression that if a team lower than us in the standings claims Nick Johnson, they get him.

I could be wrong.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Woodrow
I hate yo-yo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDude View Post
Yes, this is right. When a player previously claimed is put on waivers again, the team that lost them gets first option and can send them directly to the AHL without having to put them on waivers again.
I think if another team put a waiver claim on him besides the wild the first go around they get first crack at him otherwise if no one claims the second time around we can claim him and send him to the minors.

Woodrow is online now   Reply With Quote