HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nick Johnson is Minnesota Bound - Claimed Off Waivers.

Old
10-10-2011, 06:44 PM
Jesus Vitale
Formerly CPZ17

vCash: 500
Either way, i think the only reason Minnesota claimed him is because of Yeo and Fletcher were familiar with him. Despite how much Pens fan hype him, he's nothing THAT special, no one unless they're REALLY desperate would probably claim him again if he was waived and he'd probably go back to WBS.

Jesus Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 06:58 PM
Rob Scuderi

Here's it from the CBA

Quote:
13.22 When a Club claims a Player on Regular, Re-Entry or Unconditional Waivers, and, subsequently, in the same season it requests waivers on the same player and the original owning Club is the successful and only Club making a Waiver claim, then the original owning Club shall be entitled to Loan such Player to a club in another league within thirty days without further Waivers being asked; provided that such Player has not participated in ten or more NHL Games (cumulative) and remained on an NHL roster more than thirty days (cumulative) following such successful claim.
If Johnson is sent to Houston and only we claim, then he's sent to WBS instead.

That underlined part seems to establish a threshold for when this doesn't apply. It says 30 days on an NHL roster or 10 games. Chris Bourque met both of these but he still ended up in Hershey instead of WBS so I wonder if perhaps that caveat doesn't seem to apply now. If this is still true he could only end up in Houston if Shero decided to part ways or let Johnson give it a shot in Minnesota's organization.

Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 09:36 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

I don't see how Nick Johnson winds up in Houston (Minnesota's AHL affiliate), unless nobody claims him at all the second time around. If he is waived again, either the Pens put in the only claim and he winds up in the AHL with our farm team, or someone else puts in a claim and he has to stay in the NHL. That's how I interpret this.

The Pens may not re-claim him if I understand this correctly, because say a team ahead of the Pens in the standings put a claim in...then he would wind up going back to Pittsburgh but NOT allowed to be sent to the AHL (because someone else put in a claim). So, we'd be screwed basically, because we want Nick Johnson in the AHL, not NHL.

Anyways, all of this is much ado about nothing in the end, because most of us understood that Nick Johnson was a borderline NHLer. I just find this waiver thing fascinating.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 06:29 PM
clefty
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
The Pens may not re-claim him if I understand this correctly, because say a team ahead of the Pens in the standings put a claim in...then he would wind up going back to Pittsburgh but NOT allowed to be sent to the AHL (because someone else put in a claim). So, we'd be screwed basically, because we want Nick Johnson in the AHL, not NHL.
No. If another team higher in the priority order puts in a claim, he's theirs. If we're the only team who puts in a claim, he can be sent to WBS without being waived. If another team puts in a claim but are lower than us in the order, he can still be sent to WBS but is not exempt from waivers.

Unless he has a No Movement Clause or is on injured reserve or the like, you're never not allowed to loan a player to the AHL.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
No. If another team higher in the priority order puts in a claim, he's theirs. If we're the only team who puts in a claim, he can be sent to WBS without being waived. If another team puts in a claim but are lower than us in the order, he can still be sent to WBS but is not exempt from waivers.
Well, ok but we're saying the same thing. If a team lower claims him, we can't just send him down. We have to go through the whole process once again. That was my general point.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 10:36 PM
DerhaertesteChecker

didn't notice him too much tonight, rather chris neil

DerhaertesteChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 11:29 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

vCash: 1000
Looks like he scored tonight for the Wild in their loss to Ottawa.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 03:48 AM
D U M B A
The Disaster March

I'm not reviving this to "rub it in" or anything of that nature (Because my two teams (Pens/Wild) lead their respective conferences). Just thought I'd update this for his fans here, who don't follow the Wild.

He's really been great for the Wild. More than I thought he would. He's faster than I remembered, a little more physical, but what I didn't realize was his tremendous hockey IQ. I mean, I get he is pretty much a bottom sixer. He's not highly skilled. But he's helped solidify our bottom six by making the "right play".

I know everyone is talking about the Bruins "November to Remember" but let's give them a December to forget.

Go Pens!

D U M B A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 05:06 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltesefalcon View Post
I'm not reviving this to "rub it in" or anything of that nature (Because my two teams (Pens/Wild) lead their respective conferences). Just thought I'd update this for his fans here, who don't follow the Wild.

He's really been great for the Wild. More than I thought he would. He's faster than I remembered, a little more physical, but what I didn't realize was his tremendous hockey IQ. I mean, I get he is pretty much a bottom sixer. He's not highly skilled. But he's helped solidify our bottom six by making the "right play".

I know everyone is talking about the Bruins "November to Remember" but let's give them a December to forget.

Go Pens!
Glad he's doing well. He always stood out as an NHL caliber player that just never got an opportunity here.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Glad he's doing well. He always stood out as an NHL caliber player that just never got an opportunity here.
Yeo too. He was talked about as a good hockey mind by everyone but the fans.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 06:19 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Yeo too. He was talked about as a good hockey mind by everyone but the fans.
He certainly looks like a really good head coach considering what he did last year in Houston (AHL) and this season in Minnesota. He probably was miscast here as a PP coach though. It just wasn't his thing, but like I said, he seems very good at the head coaching gig.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 07:12 AM
regard

I've been seeing NJ's name in box scores alot. Seems like hes playing on the third(I think) line and doing pretty well.

regard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:08 AM
wej20

Glad to see Johnson doing well, always thought he could be a decent 3rd liner for some team. Not a huge loss for the Pens as we've got bottom 6ers coming out the wazoo.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 12:01 PM
Funk311

Thanks for the update. Always happy to see a guy who paid his dues and helped the overall org. get an opportunity and do well with it.

Also happy for YEO. this is far fetched, but if he is a good coach, starting at such a young age could give him nice career numbers. But, for now, good luck to him NJ and the Wild.

Funk311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 01:16 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Johnson's play is the main reason we aren't flipping out at the fact that we gave Nystrom away and he now has 10 goals. He, Brodziak and Powe/Clutterbuck have been great, and are one of the main reasons we are where we are right now.

Good luck!

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote