HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

now that doughty is signed...

Old
09-30-2011, 02:44 AM
kingdoughty

vCash: 500
now that doughty is signed...

what do you think the final roster should look like? i say trade martinez and stoll for a 1st round pick + conditional 2nd round if they make playoffs and have this...

Gagne - Kopitar - Williams
Penner - Richards - Brown
Clifford - Lokti - Richardson
Hunter - Moreau/Fraser - Westgarth/Moreau

Mitchell - Doughty
Johnson - Scuderi
Voynov - Greene

Quick
Bernier

that probably wont be done tho and Lokti wont be used properly and neither will Voynov but we'll see what happens....what do you guys think should happen

kingdoughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 02:57 AM
gtwyc
L.A. Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdoughty View Post
what do you think the final roster should look like? i say trade martinez and stoll for a 1st round pick + conditional and have this...

Mitchell - Doughty
Johnson - Scuderi
Voynov - Greene

Quick
Bernier

that probably wont be done tho and Lokti wont be used properly and neither will Voynov but we'll see what happens....what do you guys think should happen
We should keep stoll at third line center even tho I would really like lokti in that spot. but we need stoll there. His face-off percentage will be greatly.missed if we got rid of him. You gotta fit Lewis in there somewhere, maybe third line RW. And have Richardson center the fourth line and with hunter and moreau on the wings. That's a mouth watering line up right there. As for the D. I really like that line up and I wouldn't be surprised if either of a-mart or voynov were traded this year.

gtwyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 03:09 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by butteryslugz View Post
We should keep stoll at third line center even tho I would really like lokti in that spot. but we need stoll there. His face-off percentage will be greatly.missed if we got rid of him. You gotta fit Lewis in there somewhere, maybe third line RW. And have Richardson center the fourth line and with hunter and moreau on the wings. That's a mouth watering line up right there. As for the D. I really like that line up and I wouldn't be surprised if either of a-mart or voynov were traded this year.
You have a point about those two being extra parts now but I wouldn't trade either for a long while, like we did with holding on to Bernier, as their value isn't very high right now. I mean, if we got a 2nd for AMart, we would be extremely lucky.

- R

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 03:11 AM
Face Wash

I'll play...

Dustin Penner ($4.250m) / Anze Kopitar ($6.800m) / Justin Williams ($3.650m)
Simon Gagne ($3.500m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / Dustin Brown ($3.175m)
Kyle Clifford ($0.870m) / Jarret Stoll ($3.600m) / Trent Hunter ($????)
Brad Richardson ($1.175m) / Trevor Lewis ($0.725m) / Ethan Moreau ($0.600m)
Kevin Westgarth ($0.525m) / / Colin Fraser ($0.825m) - IR

DEFENSEMEN
Jack Johnson ($4.357m) / Willie Mitchell ($3.500m)
Rob Scuderi ($3.400m) / Drew Doughty ($7.000m)
Alec Martinez ($0.737m) / Matt Greene ($2.950m)
/ Davis Drewiske ($0.616m)

GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Quick ($1.800m) / Jonathan Bernier ($1.250m) / Zatkoff ( $0.577)

Loktionov will make the trip to EUR and will stay until Fraser comes back (or injury to someone else), Voynov travels to EUR too. Zatkoff will travel as well. All 3 will eventually end up in Manchester unless there's an injury or an unforeseen transaction (like Drewiske gets waived).

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 03:20 AM
rsaturday

As much as I like Voynov and Lokti, trading Stoll and Martinez would not be a good move at this point. This team is ramping up at an attempt to run deep into the playoffs and it doesn't make sense to jettison a solid veteran like Stoll and a solid player like Martinez at this time. The combo of Kopi, Richards, and Stoll down the middle is very formidable.

Stoll may finally have found himself in an ideal role with the Kings. Take important draws, be a good energy guy, PK/PP, and chip in more than a few goals to be an elite level third liner.

Martinez could very well be supplanted by Voynov if he gets off to a slow start, but there is no reason to believe that will happen. Why take a chance with Voynov at this time? Let the season develop and make changes as necessary. We all know there will also be injuries and guys like Voynov and Hickey will get their shots.

If the season takes a turn for the worst, you might consider giving the young guys more of a role. If you look at a team like the Bruins last year, guys like Marchand weren't necessarily in the fold to start the year but by the time the SCF rolled around, he was a key player.

Depth is our friend right now. If anything, expect to see guys like Drewiske and Parse get moved. I wouldn't be shocked if Hunter makes the club and Parse is traded for a back of pucks. If only we could get Lokti to be comfortable at LW, he could play alongside Kopi, but I fear that they play a style that is too similar.

rsaturday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 03:50 AM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post
I'll play...

Dustin Penner ($4.250m) / Anze Kopitar ($6.800m) / Justin Williams ($3.650m)
Simon Gagne ($3.500m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / Dustin Brown ($3.175m)
Kyle Clifford ($0.870m) / Jarret Stoll ($3.600m) / Trent Hunter ($????)
Brad Richardson ($1.175m) / Trevor Lewis ($0.725m) / Ethan Moreau ($0.600m)
Kevin Westgarth ($0.525m) / / Colin Fraser ($0.825m) - IR

DEFENSEMEN
Jack Johnson ($4.357m) / Willie Mitchell ($3.500m)
Rob Scuderi ($3.400m) / Drew Doughty ($7.000m)
Alec Martinez ($0.737m) / Matt Greene ($2.950m)
/ Davis Drewiske ($0.616m)

GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Quick ($1.800m) / Jonathan Bernier ($1.250m) / Zatkoff ( $0.577)
This is the lineup I would ice. Hunter deserves a contract.

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 03:52 AM
TruKingFan
Two-Time Cup Winner

^^Amazing that some people are actually wanting to trade our depth! Loktionov and Voynov even if they make the NHL roster still have to prove they belong. We need a Plan B if they struggle and thats where our depth is our strength.

My 23-man roster to start the season:

Penner-Kopi-Wiliams
Gagne-MR-Brown
Clifford-Lokti-Stoll
Richardson-Lewis-Hunter
Parse-Moreau

Mitchell-DD
JJ-Scuderi
Greene-AMart
Voynov

J Quick
JBernier

Drewiske waived or to Manchester along with Hickey. IR: Westgarth/Fraser

TruKingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 04:59 AM
Rod Buskas*

Here's what I want, granted it's a bit of a pipe dream with TM being our coach :

Penner Kopitar Williams
Gagne Richards Hunter
Clifford Loktionov Brown
Richardson Stoll Lewis

Mitchell Doughty
Scuderi Johnson
Greene Voinov

extras: Parse, Westgarth, Moreau, Fraser & Martinez

After next year, I would hope that Penner and Stoll are replaced with Parise and Toffoli (with Lewis sliding into the 4th line C role) giving us:

Parise Kopitar Williams
Gagne Richards Toffoli
Clifford Lokti Brown
Richardson Lewis ????

Rod Buskas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 05:17 AM
RightKinger

Why would you want to trade Martinez? Kid's looked good in his short time in the NHL and he's only 24. If Voynov beats him out for that last spot on D and locks it up then AMart becomes trade bait but not right now, when we don't know how good he can be or if Voynov is actually ready to step in.

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 06:25 AM
DaAnimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Buskas View Post
Penner Kopitar Williams
Gagne Richards Hunter
Clifford Loktionov Brown
Richardson Stoll Lewis

Mitchell Doughty
Scuderi Johnson
Greene Voinov

extras: Parse, Westgarth, Moreau, Fraser & Martinez
loving this lineup

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 06:29 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Not crazy about Voynov spending a 4th season in Manchester. I don't think it sends a good message to him, kid has done everything asked of him and deserves an NHL spot.

Let him rotate with Martinez and Greene until the inevitable injury to Willie Mitchell gives him a full time spot

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:38 AM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdoughty View Post
what do you think the final roster should look like? i say trade martinez and stoll for a 1st round pick + conditional 2nd round if they make playoffs and have this...

Mitchell - Doughty
Johnson - Scuderi
Voynov - Greene

Quick
Bernier

Depth is key. Depth for injuries, suspensions, and just the sake of depth

Flour Child is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:03 AM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

Penner-Kopi-Williams
Gagne-Richards-Brown
Clifford-Stoll-Lewis
Richardson-Lokti-Hunter
Westgarth/Moreau

Mitchell/DD
Scuderi/JJ
Greene/Martinez
VV

Quick
Bernier

Lokti gets PP time on the second unit with Stoll at the point. VV rotates in every few games, and gets to grow with and be a part of the team. DD/Parse waived or traded for late picks.

Seventyx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:09 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

I don't think pairing Greene with Voynov is an option since they're both righties. I doubt either of them has experience on the left side.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:19 AM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Should be like this

Penner-Kopitar-Williams
Gagne-Richards-Brown
Clifford-Loktionov-Stoll(who takes FOs)
Hunter-Lewis-Richardson
Moreau-Fraser/Westgarth

Doughty-Mitchell
Scuderi-Johnson
Greene-Martinez
Voynov(rotates with Amart)

Quick
Bernier

Not too shabby. If Loki is sent down Richardson gets moved to 3rd RW, Stoll full time C, and slide Westy or Moreau in.

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:31 AM
Winger23

Having 7 solid D-Men is an absolute blessing. You don't trade one of these guys so you don't lose a step when someone gets hurt (someone always gets hurt during the season).

If I were TM I would take advantage of this by giving the older guys on the team (Scuds/Mitchell and Green) a day off per week. This would allow some flexibility in playing A-Mart and Voynov enough to keep them on top of thier game while giving much needed ice time to Voynov.

When playoffs roll around you will have fresh older bodies and can make a decision of A-Mart vs Voynov depending on who's playing better....

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:33 AM
dbbourn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses Kopitar View Post
Should be like this

Penner-Kopitar-Williams
Gagne-Richards-Brown
Hunter-Lewis-Richardson
Moreau-Fraser/Westgarth

Doughty-Mitchell
Scuderi-Johnson
Greene-Martinez

Quick
Bernier

Not too shabby. If Loki is sent down Richardson gets moved to 3rd RW, Stoll full time C, and slide Westy or Moreau in.
I like this... with Parse the odd man out though? Haven't seen any pre-season games, but I have heard Parse has not stepped up as expected. Does Hunter beat him out?

dbbourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:35 AM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

A lot of you are forgetting that Stoll and Brown work really well together on the same line. Here is my suggestion for 4 balanced lines:

Moreau - Kopitar -Williams (Skill w/ size and grit)
Gagne - Richards - Lewis (This line can skate and score)
Clifford - Stoll - Brown (Havoc and confusion line )
Penner - Loktionov - Richardson (Thje pain in the ass line)

Mitchell - Doughty
Johnson - Voynov/Scuderi
Martinez - Greene

If Voynov isn't in the works you have to trade him. He and Loktionov have nothing to prove in the AHL anymore.

Hickey is also knocking on the door and possibly Muzzin. Drewiske is assed out.

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:36 AM
Dave in LA
Chick Magnet

Stoll goes nowhere. In fact, I would extend his contract for another 3-5 years. Voynov & Lokti are behind in the depth chart. That's the reality. The kings are now at a point where they don't have to rush these players. They'll get their chance. Patience!

Until Stoll or Martinez lose their job, its pointless to have this conversation.

Yeah, lets put Brown on the 3rd line & put Hunter on the 2nd line. That makes a lot of sense.

Dave in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:51 AM
sweatypickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Not crazy about Voynov spending a 4th season in Manchester. I don't think it sends a good message to him, kid has done everything asked of him and deserves an NHL spot.

Let him rotate with Martinez and Greene until the inevitable injury to Willie Mitchell gives him a full time spot
I don't think he'd go anyway...

sweatypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:23 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Should be like this

Penner-Kopitar-Williams
Gagne-Richards-Brown
Hunter-Lewis-Richardson
Moreau-Fraser/Westgarth

Doughty-Mitchell
Scuderi-Johnson
Greene-Martinez

Quick
Bernier

This. Thanks for saving me the time of typing this out.

The only changes I'd think about (not saying I'd do them) is dropping penner to the second line to play with Richards. As talented as Penner is, he's anything but consistent and has been known to take games off. Play him with Richards and I bet the risk of that happening drops a lot as Richards would tune his ass in after a few lazy shifts.

I'd move Brown up to play with Kopi and Williams if that happened, just to give a physical edge to the top line while still keeping the Gagne-Richards thing together.

I also agree and disagree with Dave in LA. First, I agree that I would not only keep Stoll, but also resign him to an extension. I doubt he'd cost us more in salary and seems to want to stay in LA, having made serious roots here. As well, he does a lot of things right, and is great insurance and depth for the offense.

That said, I'm not opposed to seeing Brown down on the 3rd line as well, assuming one of the kids shows enough pop to play on the second line with Richards and Gagne, and assuming Penner stays up with Kopi and Williams. Brown and Stoll did well together in the past and it would spread the offense out to the third line as well, giving us great depth. Could you imagine the offense a line of Brown-Loki-Stoll could produce on the third line? It could be the weapon that turns us into a legitimate cup contender and not just a darkhorse like we are now. And I think a guy like Clifford could have enough spunk to play on a line with Richards and Gagne and not look completely out of place. Likely won't put up big numbers, but the kid has more to his offensive game than the 14 points he showed in his rookie season, we seen that in the playoffs. If we can find someone to jump up to the second line, I'd be for Brown on the third line and seeing a fairly even rotation of the top three lines.

Don't forget, one of the biggest reasons we made the cup finals in 93 was because we coud roll three really good lines. That third line of (I believe) Millen, Donnelly and Conacher was great in the playoffs, and Millen and Donnelly weren't slouches either in the regular season either, each getting over 20 goals.

As for Voynov/Hickey, I can't believe some people are talking about sending them both back to Manchester. What in the world does a kid have to do to get into your good books? Both are well ahead of Drewiske now. I could buy the argument of furthering development before, but what in the world does Voinov have to do down in the AHL? He was dominate last year down there and was clearly one of our top five defensemen in the pre-season. I don't want to send down Hickey either, but at least you can tell him to go have a season s the teams top D-man and that he will likely be the first recall in case of injury.

Even if you don't want to mess with the pairings we had last year, a valid thought, Voinov should stay as the 7th defenseman. Waive Drewiske, no one will claim him now anyways amid all the other guys getting waived as well, and let him help out the farm club. Voinov will still get plenty of ice time this year. Drewiske seen 38 games last year, and likely would have got a lot more if he was as good as Voinov. Don't forget Drewiske was passed over in favor of Martinez (and Muzzin at the start of the season) when injuries occurred, something that wouldn't happen to Voinov. Even as the 7th defenseman, I'd venture Voinov would see 55 games, maybe more, and 15 or so minutes per game. I beleive the Kings blueline only suffered something like 53 man games lost last year, half to Mitchell, and you just know that won't likely repeat itself this year.

In short after my mad ramblings, here are my two options for line ups to start the season:

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Gagne-Richards-Penner
Hunter-Lewis-Richardson
Moreau-Fraser/Westgarth

Doughty-Mitchell
Scuderi-Johnson
Greene-Martinez

Quick
Bernier

or:

Penner-Kopitar-Williams
Gagne-Richards-Clifford (could be Hunter/Lewis/Richardson instead of Clifford)
Brown-Loktionov-Stoll(who takes FOs)
Hunter-Lewis-Richardson
Moreau-Fraser/Westgarth

Doughty-Mitchell
Scuderi-Johnson
Greene-Martinez

Quick
Bernier

Either way ladies and gentlemen, our line up kicks ass and we still have cap room and assets to trade to get even better at the trade deadline. I think we are just one rented goalscorer from being serious contenders for the cup. Who are UFA's coming up (from teams who are likely not cup contenders) that can score some goals and have a decent chance to be traded at or before the deadline?

I'm still infavor of a Greene+Richardson for Comeau+pick type deal I proposed earlier. We can replace Greene with a rental at the deadline. Guys like him are always moving at the trade deadline.

EDIT: Waive Parse too. Guy was graced with an opportunity to make a cup contending team and it seems like he didn't even realize he was in camp. Likely time to cut bait with him.

Last edited by kingsfan: 09-30-2011 at 12:30 PM.
kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:43 AM
gtwyc
L.A. Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
You have a point about those two being extra parts now but I wouldn't trade either for a long while, like we did with holding on to Bernier, as their value isn't very high right now. I mean, if we got a 2nd for AMart, we would be extremely lucky.

- R
You're right. I bet there is no sense of urgency to trade those two

gtwyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:48 AM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Does anyone know if there's going to be a stream tonight?

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:58 AM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentfouser View Post
Does anyone know if there's going to be a stream tonight?
Not from the Kings at least, since it's not a home game.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:18 PM
The Hegemony Consul
Serial Ruminator

Quote:
Should be like this

Penner-Kopitar-Williams
Gagne-Richards-Brown
Hunter-Lewis-Richardson
Moreau-Fraser/Westgarth

Doughty-Mitchell
Scuderi-Johnson
Greene-Martinez

Quick
Bernier
I'll join the chorus and say, "Looks good." As others have said, I might swap Penner and Gagne, depending upon the lines gelling (or not)...

The Hegemony Consul is online now   Reply With Quote