HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

9/30/11 - Edmonton @ Minnesota - 7 PM CDT - Wild.com/KFAN

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-30-2011, 11:08 PM
  #451
squidz*
dun worry he's cool
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South of the Border
Country: United States
Posts: 11,897
vCash: 500
I'm not sure if the main board thread has just been heavily edited by the mods, or if hfboards is just being surprisingly rational for once.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:08 PM
  #452
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 24,174
vCash: 50
I think it may be bad karma that sees all these oilers players injured every year--their fans seem to include a disproportionate amount of loudmouthed jackoffs wishing harm on people.

edit: And I don't think this will slow Nystrom down in anything but how he approaches an icing situation. I can imagine he won't be trying as hard on those.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:11 PM
  #453
NHL1674
Whatever...
 
NHL1674's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 13,819
vCash: 165
It was unintentional, but I think Nystrom may still have to suffer the consequences. I can recall a lot of people being ticked off when Mitchell wasn't suspended for the hit on Foster. Even though this is a play that happens every day, Nystrom had his stick in there. I've said it a million times tonight, but it's like an unintentional high stick. He didn't mean for it to happen, but Fedun got severely hurt. And I personally wouldn't argue against Nystrom getting some games off.

As for Oilers fans, you are gonna find some who think Nystrom meant to hurt the guy. But I've also come across many who are being fairly reasonable. Although they know Nystrom may not have intended for it to happen, they still think a suspension is needed. And I can't find fault in them for that.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:15 PM
  #454
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?
 
Northland Wild Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Country: United States
Posts: 8,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
I don't think it was a lack of chemistry. It was just bad passing. The problem didn't seem to be not knowing where their teammate was headed, they just flat out missed the passes over and over again. There were a few instances of passing to empty space, but largely it appeared to be poor execution.
Out of everything that happened tonight (that wasn't injury related) this concerns me the most.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:17 PM
  #455
Fel 96
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,873
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
I'm not sure if the main board thread has just been heavily edited by the mods, or if hfboards is just being surprisingly rational for once.
Just give me some credit.

I did change the thread title at least.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:49 PM
  #456
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 24,174
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
It was unintentional, but I think Nystrom may still have to suffer the consequences. I can recall a lot of people being ticked off when Mitchell wasn't suspended for the hit on Foster. Even though this is a play that happens every day, Nystrom had his stick in there. I've said it a million times tonight, but it's like an unintentional high stick. He didn't mean for it to happen, but Fedun got severely hurt. And I personally wouldn't argue against Nystrom getting some games off.

As for Oilers fans, you are gonna find some who think Nystrom meant to hurt the guy. But I've also come across many who are being fairly reasonable. Although they know Nystrom may not have intended for it to happen, they still think a suspension is needed. And I can't find fault in them for that.
i remember it less harshly.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:15 AM
  #457
NHL1674
Whatever...
 
NHL1674's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 13,819
vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
i remember it less harshly.
I remember people not thinking it was intentional, but still shocked and questioning the lack of suspension. He wasn't even given a major for it.

Hmmmm.....maybe I'm starting to lose it......some bad seasons in between can mess with the mind.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:43 AM
  #458
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist
 
Billy Mays Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 14,580
vCash: 827
Enough is enough. It's time to put no touch icing in place. I don't care how much less "exciting" it makes the game, the safety of the players is far more important than a scoring chance resulting from a player beating out an icing call 1 out of every 100,000 times. The fact that such a great young talent like Fedun can have his career potentially ended by a play that could be so easily avoidable by 1 small simple rule change is completely ****ed up.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 01:51 AM
  #459
Crabapple
Registered User
 
Crabapple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,931
vCash: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampland View Post
Over on the Oiler's board, they are calling for Nystrom's head. Calling him a POS goon, who better get killed by Peckham next game.
Not all Oil fans feel this way. I know we have a lot (a lot) of loudmouth trolls who call themselves hockey fans. It was an unfortunate accident as I see it. Just a lousy ending to a great preseason story. Fedun was signed right out of college, and has played great in all of our games. First callup in case of an injury, and what looks like a capable d-man for our future (in an area where we're lacking).

Crabapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 02:23 AM
  #460
NHL1674
Whatever...
 
NHL1674's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 13,819
vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabapple View Post
Not all Oil fans feel this way. I know we have a lot (a lot) of loudmouth trolls who call themselves hockey fans. It was an unfortunate accident as I see it. Just a lousy ending to a great preseason story. Fedun was signed right out of college, and has played great in all of our games. First callup in case of an injury, and what looks like a capable d-man for our future (in an area where we're lacking).
For the most part, I think a lot of Oilers fans (at least on the HFBoards) have been very level-headed and reasonable about it. Actually, they've been somewhat pleasant to talk to. There are some who are extremely angry, and saying it was intentional, but I'm gonna give them some time to calm down first. I wasn't overly sane when it first happened to Foster. And every team has some trolls who will fly off the handle at some point. It's expected.

It was a common play, but still a dangerous one. And really unfortunate. I'm hoping not only the fans, but the players as well, sent a lot of messages tonight to those in charge demanding the rule to be changed.

BTW, nice avatar. Those were fun times.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 04:53 AM
  #461
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 16,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Enough is enough. It's time to put no touch icing in place. I don't care how much less "exciting" it makes the game, the safety of the players is far more important than a scoring chance resulting from a player beating out an icing call 1 out of every 100,000 times. The fact that such a great young talent like Fedun can have his career potentially ended by a play that could be so easily avoidable by 1 small simple rule change is completely ****ed up.
Sorry, I hope there is never "No-touch" icing in the NHL!

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 04:58 AM
  #462
NHL1674
Whatever...
 
NHL1674's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 13,819
vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Sorry, I hope there is never "No-touch" icing in the NHL!
I use to feel that way, but not anymore. It's pretty pathetic that a young player has his career threatened based on a useless play that happened in preseason of all things. It's just not worth it anymore considering how few times a player is able to nullify an icing.

That said, we FINALLY disagree on something again. Let the fighting begin!!!! Bring it!!!

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 08:45 AM
  #463
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem
 
this providence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 9,991
vCash: 500
Missed the game. Just seen a couple of highlights.

Sad to see that touch icing claimed another victim. The NHL has to look at what college hockey is doing and either go with that or some sort of variation. There's no reason to see another guy potentially have his career ruined.

__________________

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 09:25 AM
  #464
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?
 
Northland Wild Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Country: United States
Posts: 8,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Sorry, I hope there is never "No-touch" icing in the NHL!
I don't want to change the rules either, but if the icing has to change I don't want the hybrid system. The old style no touch where the ref just blows the play dead is the better way IMO. I don't like the idea of a ref having to make questionable decisions on close icing plays.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 09:33 AM
  #465
squidz*
dun worry he's cool
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South of the Border
Country: United States
Posts: 11,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northland Wild Man View Post
I don't want to change the rules either, but if the icing has to change I don't want the hybrid system. The old style no touch where the ref just blows the play dead is the better way IMO. I don't like the idea of a ref having to make questionable decisions on close icing plays.
The problem that No Touch institutes that Hybrid resolves is actually extremely common. In fact, there were at least two instances of it in last night's game. At least one of them led to a very good scoring chance. I've only watched a few college games, but hybrid seems to work pretty well for them there.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 04:12 PM
  #466
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,928
vCash: 500
"It doesn't feel good to know that you're involved in something that hurt someone so seriously," Nystrom said. "All last night, all today, I feel like I can throw up."

This is what every player should feel after some way or another hurting an another player in a game, unintentional or not. Sadly it doesn't seem like that, yes looking at you Cooke & co.

Foxlockbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 04:24 PM
  #467
Fel 96
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,873
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
He won't be suspended.

Great news.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 04:40 PM
  #468
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
I remember people not thinking it was intentional, but still shocked and questioning the lack of suspension. He wasn't even given a major for it.

Hmmmm.....maybe I'm starting to lose it......some bad seasons in between can mess with the mind.
The fact I couldn't remember if Mitchell was suspended has to speak to something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Missed the game. Just seen a couple of highlights.

Sad to see that touch icing claimed another victim. The NHL has to look at what college hockey is doing and either go with that or some sort of variation. There's no reason to see another guy potentially have his career ruined.
The hybrid icing in college last year worked well.

__________________
Blog: First Round Bust: A Cast of Thousands celebrating a rather dodgy track record of Minnesota Wild Drafting.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 09:21 PM
  #469
alexo
Registered User
 
alexo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 554
vCash: 500
Oil fan here...

Lots of stupidity amongst my fellow Oilers fans, but that can be said about most teams (especially Canadian teams since there are a lot of "passionate" fans). Anyways, I find the venom towards Eric Nystrom pretty embarrassing.

Nystrom didn't do anything malicious on the play. It was a complete accident. I am disappointed that it happened though because Fedun was a real big story for us this pre-season. He was undrafted, coming out of college, and had a really great pre-season. I thought there was a good chance he would make the team out of camp, or at least on a call up. I know you guys went through this with Foster... it can really destroy a guy's career.

Anyways, glad Nystrom wasn't suspended.. it was an accident, and he showed a heck of a lot of remorse. He has to learn how to tune out the idiots on his twitter though if he's going to stick around on it.

alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.