HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All-purpose prospect thread (all St. John's and Jets prospect talk here)

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2012, 07:40 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Just be patient!

vCash: 500
Tweet from the St. John's IceCaps...

Quote:
IceCapsAHL St. John's IceCaps
IceCaps recall Mannino from Chicago (ECHL): stjohnsicecaps.com/article/icecap…
http://stjohnsicecaps.com/article/ic...-from-chicago/

I find this very strange. Firstly, why are they calling Mannino up? Did one of the other two guys get injured this week? Secondly, who knew that Mannino had even hooked up with the Express? As late as last night I googled to try figure out what was up with him and couldn't find anything.

According to the ECHL website, he hasn't even played a game with Chicago.

http://echl.com/stats/statdisplay.ph...ason=&confId=0

Last edited by AndersUlfBobby: 01-05-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old
01-05-2012, 08:33 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I've been told by ex-players that the second they signed a pro contract at any level their WHL scholarship is voided. You do get 1 full year paid for for one year of WHL, but even that is limited from what I heard to a certain dollar amount and you must appear in 40 games for it to count as a year.
I'm not 100% on the WHL but I presume it's the same as the OHL. The contract you are describing is the bare minimum, players can negotiate more. Scheifele, for example, had a full ride to Cornell and would not have given it up for the minimum contract so I understand he had the best scholarship program (four years guaranteed).

The minute you sign a pro deal your CHL scholarship is gone. This is part of the reason that players can't play in the AHL at 19.

Old
01-05-2012, 08:51 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
He does not get free schooling. He could have had a scholarship via the WHL program, but he sacrificed that the second he turned pro. I believe UNB was simply talking about eligibility. He may still have a pro career after graduation, but it will more than likely not include the NHL.
Yeah I was talking just about eligibility...I'm not 100% sure how playing 12 AHL games before turning 22 will affect his WHL scholarship.

Yes, it is likely his pro career will not include the NHL but UNB has probably had more players go on to play in the AHL the last couple years than any other CIS team...and one, Darryl Boyce of the Leafs, has played in the NHL.

Old
01-05-2012, 09:26 PM
BigZ65

Quote:
I've been told by ex-players that the second they signed a pro contract at any level their WHL scholarship is voided. You do get 1 full year paid for for one year of WHL, but even that is limited from what I heard to a certain dollar amount and you must appear in 40 games for it to count as a year.
Maybe an entry level deal. I have a few friends who put in some WHL time and then played in the low minors, the CHL and SPHL. They had a certain amount of time that they could pursue hockey before they had to use or lose the scholarship, but that was several years ago. They all came back and played CIS hockey while getting a free ride from their WHL scholarship. I couldn't believe how much money they got, absolutely every expense you could think of a university student having was covered. Maybe they've tightened it up.

Old
01-05-2012, 09:39 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
I'm not 100% on the WHL but I presume it's the same as the OHL. The contract you are describing is the bare minimum, players can negotiate more. Scheifele, for example, had a full ride to Cornell and would not have given it up for the minimum contract so I understand he had the best scholarship program (four years guaranteed).

The minute you sign a pro deal your CHL scholarship is gone. This is part of the reason that players can't play in the AHL at 19.
Very confused about the first part. My post was ONLY regarding the scholarship that the CHL gives out for every year of OHL/WHL/QMJHL service to players who leave. When players play one year in CHL, they are given one year "free schooling" after they leave the league. This may be used at ANY canadian or american school, from what I understand. I am fairly certain though that they sign ANY pro contract (NHL, AHL, ECHL, C(entral)HL, Europe, UHL, anything) that scholarship is forfeit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ65 View Post
Maybe an entry level deal. I have a few friends who put in some WHL time and then played in the low minors, the CHL and SPHL. They had a certain amount of time that they could pursue hockey before they had to use or lose the scholarship, but that was several years ago. They all came back and played CIS hockey while getting a free ride from their WHL scholarship. I couldn't believe how much money they got, absolutely every expense you could think of a university student having was covered. Maybe they've tightened it up.
Last I have heard it was very very tight, and very very hard to collect. Like I said, the second a player put his name to paper in any league, that was void. I had also heard that the scholarship was limited and at time did not cover all their expenses. It's not personal experience, but more than one source. Take it for what it's worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
Yeah I was talking just about eligibility...I'm not 100% sure how playing 12 AHL games before turning 22 will affect his WHL scholarship.

Yes, it is likely his pro career will not include the NHL but UNB has probably had more players go on to play in the AHL the last couple years than any other CIS team...and one, Darryl Boyce of the Leafs, has played in the NHL.
That's why I said "likely". There is a chance, but what is working doubly against him is that he will be 26/27 when he leaves school if he stays for 4/5 years there. That will make it a very uphill battle. Not impossible, but very tough.

Old
01-05-2012, 10:23 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Very confused about the first part. My post was ONLY regarding the scholarship that the CHL gives out for every year of OHL/WHL/QMJHL service to players who leave. When players play one year in CHL, they are given one year "free schooling" after they leave the league. This may be used at ANY canadian or american school, from what I understand.
The above is correct, with respect to the MINIMUM contract that a CHL member club must give to a player who plays for them. They can give more, and in many cases have to in order to sign players who have commitments from big US schools. Schiefele is an example, but the Knights & Spitfires do it a lot - Campbell, Ebert, Gagne, Kane, Tinordi etc. In those cases the player is usually guaranteed a certain educational package, regardless of whether or not they play the 4 years. If a player with the increased package had a career ending injury, or could not play all 4 years, they would still get their education paid for.

Quote:
I am fairly certain though that they sign ANY pro contract (NHL, AHL, ECHL, C(entral)HL, Europe, UHL, anything) that scholarship is forfeit.
This is absolutely correct, and as I said a big part of the argument why a 19 year old cannot be assigned to the AHL (i.e. giving up a full ride to Harvard for a $50k one year deal with the Toronto Marlies only to blow out their knee and never play again/no education).

Old
01-05-2012, 10:32 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post

This is a different topic, as to whether or not the player is allowed to play for the CIS team - even if they are paying their own way for school. A couple examples I'm familiar with:

Hunter Tremblay played for UNB who played 4 years with the OHL Colts, took his scholarship, was the CIS player of the year and is subsequently playing pro in the Oilers system.

Mike (Jefferson) Danton who is the second type of CIS player (presumably paying his own tuition) but able to play CIS hockey due to the amount of time he had been out of pro hockey (the sabbatical presumably, as you stated, is what Wiebe was trying to avoid by going now).

Old
01-05-2012, 10:35 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
The above is correct, with respect to the MINIMUM contract that a CHL member club must give to a player who plays for them. They can give more, and in many cases have to in order to sign players who have commitments from big US schools. Schiefele is an example, but the Knights & Spitfires do it a lot - Campbell, Ebert, Gagne, Kane, Tinordi etc. In those cases the player is usually guaranteed a certain educational package, regardless of whether or not they play the 4 years. If a player with the increased package had a career ending injury, or could not play all 4 years, they would still get their education paid for.

This is absolutely correct, and as I said a big part of the argument why a 19 year old cannot be assigned to the AHL (i.e. giving up a full ride to Harvard for a $50k one year deal with the Toronto Marlies only to blow out their knee and never play again/no education).
Oh, I see. Thanks alot for the clarification. Appreciated. Did not know that teams could guarantee stuff like that. Interesting.

Old
01-05-2012, 11:43 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Oh, I see. Thanks alot for the clarification. Appreciated. Did not know that teams could guarantee stuff like that. Interesting.
My pleasure. I don't know all the ins and outs - only what I've learned from around the rink and these boards. From what I've understood there are different levels of education "packages" that can be offered, and only so many of each level per team. Teams don't have to offer them however, and it's part of the reason some junior players will refuse to report to one team, but immediately report to another once they've been traded. I don't know his reasons, but Scheifele is one of those players who did not report to the team who drafted him but did after he was traded so perhaps the education package was a part of it (as I mentioned, he is a bright kid who had a full ride to an Ivy League school all wrapped up).

Old
01-06-2012, 07:50 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersUlfBobby View Post
Tweet from the St. John's IceCaps...

http://stjohnsicecaps.com/article/ic...-from-chicago/

I find this very strange. Firstly, why are they calling Mannino up? Did one of the other two guys get injured this week? Secondly, who knew that Mannino had even hooked up with the Express? As late as last night I googled to try figure out what was up with him and couldn't find anything.

According to the ECHL website, he hasn't even played a game with Chicago.

http://echl.com/stats/statdisplay.ph...ason=&confId=0

Mannino was called back up because Eddie Pasquale has a sore knee.
http://www.thetelegram.com/Sports/20...eice-shuffle/1

Old
01-06-2012, 06:35 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Just be patient!

Friday, January 6, 2012

Manchester Monarchs 2 St. John's IceCaps 4 (FINAL)

Game Summary
http://theahl.com/stats/game-summary...ame_id=1009152

Scoring
1. MCH Czarnik, (4) (Hickey, Deslauriers), 11:51 (PP)
2. MCH Vey, (10) (Legein, Czarnik), 6:02
2. STJ DeSantis, (6) (Jaffray), 9:27 (PP)
2. STJ Weller, (4) (Festerling, Postma) 10:58
3. STJ Weller, (5) (Ramsey) 8:51
3. STJ Jaffray, (9) (Gagnon, Ramsey), 19:05

Quote:
Goal IceCaps! DeSantis' point shot finds the back of the net on the PP for his 6th of the season, cutting the lead to 2-1 at 9:27 of the 2nd
Quote:
Goal IceCaps! Festerling fires one at the net that hits Weller's leg and scoots past Zatkoff to tie it at 2! Welcome back Shawn!
Quote:
3-2 IceCaps! Shawn Weller scores on a wrist shot from the left side to give the IceCaps the lead with 11:09 to play in regulation.
Quote:
4-2 IceCaps! Jason Jaffray inadvertently puts the puck in with his skate on a 2-on-1 with Aaron Gagnon with less than a minute left!

Starting Goaltender
David Aebischer

Notes
St. John's outshoot the Monarchs 47-25. IceCaps go 1 for 3 on the PP, 2 for 3 on the PK and take 6 PIM.

Jason DeSantis apparently is a reserve as a replacement if a defensemen who has been selected to go can't make the AHL ASG.

Paul Postma had a 10-game point streak that was snapped last Sunday in Toronto.

Peter Mannino backed Aebischer up tonight.

"There's nothing sweller than Shawn Weller"....... or so says Brian Rogers.

IceCaps get their 20th win of the season and leapfrog over the Monarchs to go back into first place in the Atlantic Division. St. John's has 4 games in hand on Manchester.

This was St. John's third straight win over Manchester.

Last edited by AndersUlfBobby: 01-06-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old
01-06-2012, 06:47 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Just be patient!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Mannino was called back up because Eddie Pasquale has a sore knee.
http://www.thetelegram.com/Sports/20...eice-shuffle/1
This is the first article that I've read where it's stated that the IceCaps had actually sent Mannino down to the ECHL. The wording in Roblin Short's previous story on him (Dec 31) indicated that they had let him go and he was at home in Michigan trying to find a place to play.

Doesn't sound like this Short guy knows what is really going on.

Old
01-06-2012, 07:21 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Jason DeSantis has the hightest points per game total of all players in the AHL

Anders your the man with these prospects updates...but I am 100% certain this is not true

EDIT: Also shots are now 30-13 for Ice Caps! Zatkoff is having a hell of a rebound year for Manchester.

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 01-06-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old
01-06-2012, 07:22 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Just be patient!

Jets CHL Prospects Report for Friday, January 5

Jets CHL Prospects Report for Friday, January 5

Swift Current Broncos 3 Red Deer Rebels 2 (FINAL)
http://www.whl.ca/schedule/show/game/59822

Adam Lowry, SC; on IR, could be out for the season

Moose Jaw Warriors 2 Spokane Chiefs 5 (FINAL)
http://www.whl.ca/schedule/show/game/59825

Kendall McFaull, MJ; G-0, A-0, Plus/Minus 0, PIM-0

Seattle Thunderbirds 3 Tri-City Americans 7 (FINAL)
http://www.whl.ca/schedule/show/game/59826

Zach Yuen, TC; G-0, A-0, Plus/Minus +3, PIM-0

Belleville Bulls 2 Ottawa 67's 7 (FINAL)
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/s...how/game/59009

Austen Brassard, BEL; G-1, A-0, Plus/Minus -1, PIM-0
Austen scores his 20th goal of the season to put the Bulls on the board.

Oshawa Generals 6 Kitchener Rangers 3 (FINAL)
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/s...how/game/59007

Julian Melchiori, KIT; G-0, A-0, Plus/Minus -2, PIM-0

Cody Sol, KIT; G-0, A-1, Plus/Minus -2, PIM-0
Cody gets an assist on Kitchener's third goal.

Tomorrow's Games
Kitchener Ranges (Julian Melchiori & Cody Sol) (25-11-1-0) @ Erie Otters (5-31-1-1)
Ottawa 67's (22-10-4-1) @ Belleville Bulls (Austen Brassard) (21-15-1-0)
London Knights (29-8-0-1) @ Barrie Colts (Mark Scheifele & Ivan Telegin) (21-14-2-1)
Swift Current Broncos (Adam Lowry) (16-20-2-3) @ Edmonton Oil Kings (26-10-1-3)
Moose Jaw Warriors (Kendall McFaull) (24-11-4-1) @ Seattle Thunderbirds (16-19-0-1)
Tri-City Americans (Zach Yuen) (30-7-0-0) @ Everett Silvertips (7-22-1-7)

Last edited by AndersUlfBobby: 01-07-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old
01-06-2012, 07:25 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Just be patient!

Quote:
Anders your the man with these prospects updates...but I am 100% certain this is not true
Just relaying what Brian Rogers just said on the IceCaps broadcast. Now that I look at the IceCaps scoring stats, I have a hard time believing that too. Maybe I misheard him.

Old
01-06-2012, 07:28 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Just relaying what Brian Rogers just said on the IceCaps broadcast. Now that I look at the IceCaps scoring stats, I have a hard time believing that too. Maybe I misheard him.
Well, Paul Postma clearly has a better one, just quickly glancing at the stats of Ice Caps (and he's a D as well).

It might be among rookies? Or rookie defensemen? Or players on AHL contracts? He is having an impressive season, he will likely sign an NHL contract in the off-season, IMO.

Old
01-06-2012, 07:30 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Just be patient!

Quote:
Well, Paul Postma clearly has a better one, just quickly glancing at the stats of Ice Caps (and he's a D as well).

It might be among rookies? Or rookie defensemen? Or players on AHL contracts? He is having an impressive season, he will likely sign an NHL contract in the off-season, IMO.
Or guys from Oxford, Michigan? Clearly that fact is wrong. I probably misheard what the PBP guy said.

Old
01-06-2012, 08:15 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Or guys from Oxford, Michigan? Clearly that fact is wrong. I probably misheard what the PBP guy said.
You know, I bet you he is

BTW, just saw the updated note on DeSantis, good for him. Can't imagine many players on AHL contracts get close to ASG.

Old
01-06-2012, 10:18 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

The IceCaps keep on winning!

Old
01-07-2012, 04:55 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Just be patient!

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Manchester Monarchs 2 St. John's IceCaps 3 (FINAL)

Game Summary
http://theahl.com/stats/game-summary...ame_id=1009163

Scoring
1. MCH Mignardi, (2) (Cliche, Nolan), 15:45
2. STJ Machacek, (9) (Postma), 1:26
3. STJ Gregoire, (2) , 5:24
3. MCH King, (7) (Kozun, Nolan), 17:29 (PP)
3. STJ Albert, (4) , 19:18

Quote:
Goal IceCaps! Terrific effort by Machacek, slicing though the D and burying his own rebound to tie the game at 1!
Quote:
Goal! Jason Gregoire picks off an errant pass and makes a nifty move to the backhand, beating Jones low on the glove side. 2-1 IceCaps!
Quote:
Goal IceCaps!! John Albert wrists one past Jones off a turnover to give St. John's a 3-2 lead with 42 seconds left!

Starting Goaltender
David Aebischer

Notes
St.John's once again takes it to the Monarchs, outshooting them 36-16. They go 0 for 2 on the PP, 3 for 4 on the PK and take 26 PIM.

Ben Maxwell gets 5 and a game in the second period for a vicious hit from behind.

Tonight's forward lines: Jaffray-Gagnon-King, McArdle-B. Maxwell-Machacek, Weller-Albert-Klingberg, Gregoire-O'Dell-Clark

Defensive pairings: Festerling-Postma, Kulda-Ramsey, DeSantis-Redmond

St. John's PP ranks 5th in the AHL and their PK 20th.

Calle Klingberg is tied for second in shorthanded goals with 2.
http://theahl.com/stats/statdisplay....ason=&confId=0

IceCaps next games, Tuesday & Wednesday at Mile One vs the Marlies.

Last edited by AndersUlfBobby: 01-07-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old
01-07-2012, 05:05 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 2252
Apparantly Yuen was not credited with an assist anymore in his last game. He did end up a +3 though.

Old
01-07-2012, 06:44 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Just be patient!

Jets CHL Prospects Report for Saturday, January 7

Jets CHL Prospects Report for Saturday, January 7

Tri-City Americans 4 Everett Silvertips 0 (FINAL)
http://www.whl.ca/schedule/show/game/59835
http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2012/0...ilvertips.html

Zach Yuen, TC; G-0, A-0, Plus/Minus +1, PIM-0

Moose Jaw Warriors 3 Kootenay Ice 2 (FINAL)
http://www.whl.ca/schedule/show/game/59831
http://www.mjwarriors.ca/article/war...in-in-kootenay

Kendall McFaull, MJ; G-0, A-0, Plus/Minus -1, PIM-0

Swift Current Broncos 3 Edmonton Oil Kings 5 (FINAL)
http://www.whl.ca/schedule/show/game/59830
http://www.swbooster.com/Sports/Bron...th-Oil-Kings/1

Adam Lowry, SC; on IR, could be out for the season

Ottawa 67's 3 Belleville Bulls 2 (FINAL)
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/s...how/game/59014
http://www.bellevillebulls.com/artic...ts-in-3-2-loss

Austen Brassard, BEL; G-1, A-0, Plus/Minus 0, PIM-0
Goal # 21 for Austen to open scoring on a PP.

Kitchener Rangers 6 Erie Otters 4 (FINAL)
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/s...how/game/59012
http://www.therecord.com/sports/rang...to-sink-otters

Julian Melchiori, KIT; G-0, A-0, Plus/Minus +4, PIM-0

Cody Sol, KIT; G-1, A-1, Plus/Minus +1, PIM-2
Cody gets the empty netter after earning an assist on the Rangers third goal.

London Knights 3 Barrie Colts 2 (FINAL)
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/s...how/game/59017
http://www.barriecolts.com/article/k...top-barrie-3-2
http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/Art...aspx?e=3428885

Mark Scheifele, BAR; G-0, A-1, Plus/Minus 0, PIM-2
Scheif assists on the Colts first goal

Ivan Telegin, BAR; not in the line-up

Tomorrow's Game
Barrie Colts (Mark Scheifele & Ivan Telegin) (21-15-2-1) @ Kingston Frontenacs (11-24-2-2)

Last edited by AndersUlfBobby: 01-08-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old
01-07-2012, 06:52 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

vCash: 0
AUB: is Telegin playing tonight? Wasn't he injured during the WJC?

Old
01-07-2012, 07:38 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 2252
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
AUB: is Telegin playing tonight? Wasn't he injured during the WJC?
Don't think so...

I remember seeing him in OT (man does he ever look like the biggest guy out there. His OHL stats say he's 6'4", but his NHL ones say 6'2"). He was paired with Yakupov in OT and Nail left injured, so maybe that's what it was.

Old
01-07-2012, 09:33 PM
IceCapsFanNL

Caps played a great game tonight. They were all over the Monarchs. Caps killed a five minute penalty giving up 1 shot

Closed Thread