HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

All-purpose prospect thread (all St. John's and Jets prospect talk here)

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2012, 05:23 AM
IceCapsFanNL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trouty View Post
final was 4-2 Worcester scored a empty net goal at end,Moon was tossed for fighting after first altercation and Murray for 3rd fight,and fighting after altercation.Overall ref let this game get out of hand but its the loudest Mile One's been all season

I was at Friday's game, and listened to the Caps lose to the Charlestown Chiefs on Saturday. I thought the boys did well standing up to a bunch of goons. AFAIAC they can't be thought of as a soft team any more

Old
02-06-2012, 07:07 AM
IceCapsFanNL

The sports editor of the local paper agrees.

http://www.thetelegram.com/Sports/20...own-fighting/1

Old
02-06-2012, 08:10 AM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
Assuming the Colts do not pull the upset of the century to win the Memorial Cup, I think he will still have something to prove in the OHL. He's still definitely challenged against the better teams in the OHL. Not that he isn't one of the better players on the ice, but he's not head and shoulders above them.

Next season he will either have to play with the Jets or in the OHL. He can only play in the AHL once his OHL team is eliminated from competition.

My guess is that with some strength and conditioning this summer Mark will stick with the Jets. Having said that I think the best case scenario would be for him to stay with the Jets through camp, preseason and then play him sparingly for his 10 games through Christmas before sending him to the WJC. After that, back to junior, hopefully a long run there and then over to the AHL for a nice playoff run with the Ice Caps. Start the 2014 season with the Jets primed and ready to be successful - and his full ELC ahead of him.

I call it the Alex Pietrangelo formula (as opposed to the Bogosian formula).
That's not a bad formula. Eberle and Hodgson also played an extra year or two in junior before sticking in the NHL. Hodgson even played a season in the AHL as well.

Old
02-06-2012, 04:05 PM
surixon

Quote:
Assuming the Colts do not pull the upset of the century to win the Memorial Cup, I think he will still have something to prove in the OHL. He's still definitely challenged against the better teams in the OHL. Not that he isn't one of the better players on the ice, but he's not head and shoulders above them.

Next season he will either have to play with the Jets or in the OHL. He can only play in the AHL once his OHL team is eliminated from competition.

My guess is that with some strength and conditioning this summer Mark will stick with the Jets. Having said that I think the best case scenario would be for him to stay with the Jets through camp, preseason and then play him sparingly for his 10 games through Christmas before sending him to the WJC. After that, back to junior, hopefully a long run there and then over to the AHL for a nice playoff run with the Ice Caps. Start the 2014 season with the Jets primed and ready to be successful - and his full ELC ahead of him.

I wouldn't be opposed to that formula myself, I see his path to tbe NHL being similar to Eberle's. 2 years in junior after being drafted to add size and improve his skating.

Old
02-06-2012, 04:38 PM
ps241
Drunken rant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
That's not a bad formula. Eberle and Hodgson also played an extra year or two in junior before sticking in the NHL. Hodgson even played a season in the AHL as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
I wouldn't be opposed to that formula myself, I see his path to tbe NHL being similar to Eberle's. 2 years in junior after being drafted to add size and improve his skating.
yea I have no problem with this formula and think Krazy Kanuck has made some good points as well. it seems like when Eberle and Hodgson finally hit the bigs they hit the ground running and i see nothing wrong with that?

Old
02-06-2012, 04:39 PM
surixon

Quote:

Old
02-06-2012, 09:11 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Absolute rule. No way he can go to St.J next year for the full season.

He can come up to the AHL after his junior season ends this year though, so that might get him some time this year if his junior team gets eliminated fast.
It is an absolute rule RIGHT NOW.

But the contract negotiations are set to be done this summer with the NHL and NHLPA and that rule has been reported as one of the main talking points and something that could be realistically lifted.

So there actually is a fair sized chance Scheifele could indeed play in the AHL next year, but again that would require a change in the current agreement. If that does not happen Schiefele is NHL or OHL.

Old
02-06-2012, 09:34 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
It is an absolute rule RIGHT NOW.

But the contract negotiations are set to be done this summer with the NHL and NHLPA and that rule has been reported as one of the main talking points and something that could be realistically lifted.

So there actually is a fair sized chance Scheifele could indeed play in the AHL next year, but again that would require a change in the current agreement. If that does not happen Schiefele is NHL or OHL.
Nope. This agreement is not NHL-NHLPA. This is an CHL-NHL agreement, not something that will come up in the CBA. This is a separate agreement, I would not count on it changing AT ALL this summer. I wish it would, but don't count on it.

Old
02-07-2012, 05:11 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Was there 35 yrs ago

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Providence Bruins 0 St. John's IceCaps 2
(FINAL)

Game Summary
http://theahl.com/stats/game-summary...ame_id=1009340

Scoring
2. STJ Postma, (10) (Holzapfel, O'Dell), 11:32
3. STJ Ramsey, (3) (Negrin, Weller), 6:40

Quote:
IceCapsAHL St. John's IceCaps
Goal! Postma jumps up into the rush, fans on his initial attempt, and beats Khudobin on his second shot to give the IceCaps a 1-0 lead!
Postma's goal is his 10th of the season, and he has now scored in three straight games.
Quote:
2-0 IceCaps! Travis Ramsey with a seeing-eye shot from the right point that beats Khudobin on the glove side to extend the lead to 2.

Starting Goaltender
Eddie Pasquale

Notes
St. John's outshoot the Bruins 30-29, go 0/1 on the PP, 4/4 on the PK and take 8 PIM's.

Last edited by AndersUlfBobby: 02-07-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old
02-07-2012, 05:14 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Was there 35 yrs ago

Jets CHL Prospects Report for Tuesday, February 7

Jets CHL Prospects Report for Tuesday, February 7

Guelph Storm 3 Kitchener Rangers 6 (FINAL)

Cody Sol, KIT; G-0, A-2, Plus/Minus +4, PIM-0

Oshawa Generals 5 Peterborough Petes 2 (6:05 CST)

Julian Melchiori, OSH; G-0, A-2, Plus/Minus +2, PIM-0

Tomorrow's Games
Swift Current Broncos (Adam Lowry) (20-29-2-3) @ Saskatoon Blades (32-20-0-1)
Moose Jaw Warriors (Kendall McFaull) (32-15-5-1) @ Lethbridge Hurricanes (21-33-0-1)
Tri-City Americans (Zach Yuen) (37-12-1-1) @ Kamloops Blazers (37-12-1-3)

Last edited by AndersUlfBobby: 02-07-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old
02-07-2012, 05:30 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
yea I have no problem with this formula and think Krazy Kanuck has made some good points as well. it seems like when Eberle and Hodgson finally hit the bigs they hit the ground running and i see nothing wrong with that?
Following this development model, here are a couple of other examples that I think might be closer to Scheifele's style, and we can all hope his upside...

Ryan Getzlaf... http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=62467

Corey Perry... http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=59656

Both were lanky guys when drafted, and had to work on their strength and skating. Both spent two years of junior after being drafted in the first round, some AHL playoff action, and then into the NHL.

Old
02-07-2012, 05:35 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
Following this development model, here are a couple of other examples that I think might be closer to Scheifele's style, and we can all hope his upside...

Both were lanky guys when drafted, and had to work on their strength and skating. Both spent two years of junior after being drafted in the first round, some AHL playoff action, and then into the NHL.
Pffft. Scrubs.

That would be fantastic if he's able to follow in their footsteps. Got a chance to watch the Barrie vs Mississauga game in person on Friday. Scheif looked decent, but not game changing. His skating appears to be improved from earlier this year though.

He seems to be such a committed person, that I can easily see him working overtime to ensure that his weaknesses get corrected. Dude is tall - if he fills out, he could be a monster in the NHL. He's certainly got the hockey smarts.

Old
02-07-2012, 10:04 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post

I like the Perry comparison. I think generally speaking, it's the way to go especially given the way contracts work these days. You want to have a guy wrapped up through as many of his most productive years as possible. Although everybody likes the story of the teenager coming in and making an impact right away, the reality is that since Mario Lemieux, only 5 of the 25 Calder Trophy Winners were teenagers...most guys need the extra couple years of seasoning.

Old
02-08-2012, 12:41 AM
PostmanPat1919

Quote:
I like the Perry comparison. I think generally speaking, it's the way to go especially given the way contracts work these days. You want to have a guy wrapped up through as many of his most productive years as possible. Although everybody likes the story of the teenager coming in and making an impact right away, the reality is that since Mario Lemieux, only 5 of the 25 Calder Trophy Winners were teenagers...most guys need the extra couple years of seasoning.
I'm willing to wait even a few years for Scheifele to develop in the OHL/AHL, and I figure the Jets management is keen to play a "long game" approach when it comes to their prospects. The contract discussion is interesting, but I think it's a secondary consideration for the organization in Scheifele's case. If Scheifele's ready next year, then they aren't going to keep him with Barrie for the sake of extending his RFA years.

Old
02-08-2012, 05:34 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Was there 35 yrs ago

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Providence Bruins 1 St. John's IceCaps 2 (OT)
(FINAL)

Game Summary
http://theahl.com/stats/game-summary...ame_id=1009343
http://stjohnsicecaps.com/article/ic...rtime-victory/

Scoring
1. STJ Weller, (8) (Maxwell, DeSantis), 5:55 (PP)
3. PRO Hennessy, (15) (Cunningham), 8:45
OT. STJ DeSantis , (8) (King) 2:26

Quote:
Goal! Shawn Weller redirects an already deflected Ben Maxwell shot on the PP to put the #IceCaps up 1-0 with 14:05 left in the first!
Quote:
IceCaps win it in OT!! Jason DeSantis blasts a slap shot past Hutchinson to give the IceCaps a 2-1 victory!

Starting Goaltender
Edward Pasquale

Notes
Providence outshoots St. John's 37-30. The IceCaps go 2/4 on the PP, 5/5 on the PK and take 6 minor penalties.

The IceCaps record now improves to 30-12-5-1, good for 66 points after 48 games. That puts them 10 pts ahead of Manchester to lead the Atlantic Division (2 games in hand), 3 points ahead of the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins to lead the Eastern Conference (same number games) and 1 point more than the Oklahoma City Barons to lead the AHL. OKC has played one less game than the IceCaps.

Last edited by AndersUlfBobby: 02-08-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old
02-08-2012, 07:39 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Was there 35 yrs ago

Jets CHL Prospects Report for Wednesday, February 8

Jets CHL Prospects Report for Wednesday, February 8

Swift Current Broncos 3 Saskatoon Blades 4 (OT) (FINAL)
http://www.whl.ca/schedule/show/game/59977

Adam Lowry, SC; injured, could be out for the season

Moose Jaw Warriors 5 Lethbridge Hurricanes 3 (FINAL)

Kendall McFaull, MJ; G-0, A-0, Plus/Minus 0, PIM-0

Tri-City Americans 1 Kamloops Blazers 5 (FINAL)

Zach Yuen, TC; G-0, A-1, Plus/Minus +1, PIM-0

Tomorrow's Game
Sarnia Sting (25-19-1-5) @ Barrie Colts (Mark Scheifele & Ivan Telegin) (28-19-2-1)

Last edited by AndersUlfBobby: 02-09-2012 at 06:38 AM.
Old
02-09-2012, 06:52 AM
IceCapsFanNL

Good four points by a very depleted team.

Gagnon... in WPG
Gregoire... bad shoulder
Albert...sounds like a concussion
Jaffray... day to day, sat out both games
Cormier...same thing
Rosa.... hasn't skated since December
Meech....bad knee

Nice to see Forney get a shot. He didn't look out of place on Tuesday when I was at the game.

Negrin played limited time, he looked allright, made one horrific turnover that Pasquale managed to save.

Pasquale played really well in both games and also on last Friday against the Charlestown Chiefs.

I have been thinking and I now believe that the three best prospects for the "Peg are Postma, Pasquale and Klingberg in that order.

Old
02-09-2012, 07:20 AM
kento19
@kento19

Not sure if Jets fan realize this but Paul Postma is an absolute stud. I have been to over 10 IceCaps games this year and he is usually the best player on the ice. Sometimes Spence will dominate a game on his own, but Postma will be a big time player for years to come.

Old
02-09-2012, 08:39 AM
Huffer

Excellent to hear that Postma is doing well. It might make Chevy's decision to trade a UFA like Oduya (if we are sellers) a little easier if he thinks Postma could be ready for the NHL soon.

How is Redmond doing?

Old
02-09-2012, 08:40 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kento19 View Post
Not sure if Jets fan realize this but Paul Postma is an absolute stud. I have been to over 10 IceCaps games this year and he is usually the best player on the ice. Sometimes Spence will dominate a game on his own, but Postma will be a big time player for years to come.
Thanks for the info, that's good to hear. His numbers sure are good.

02-09-2012, 09:01 AM
IceCapsFanNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
How is Redmond doing?
He is doing well but is overshadowed by Postma and Kulda, and in my opinion Festerling and DeSantis, who is playing great for a guy who didn't dress much early on.

Old
02-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCapsFanNL View Post
He is doing well but is overshadowed by Postma and Kulda, and in my opinion Festerling and DeSantis, who is playing great for a guy who didn't dress much early on.
I'm happy to hear that Kulda has been good as well. I was one of the guys who wanted him to stay in Winnipeg, and one of the guys who thought putting him on waivers was a dumb move. I think he has a chance to be a solid bottom pairing guy with physicality at some point.

I am surprised to hear you mention Redmond maybe being overshadowed by Festerling and DeSantis. I guess I wrongly assumed that Redmond was the "next guy" in St. Johns after he was in the All-Star game.

Thanks for your response.

Old
02-09-2012, 09:55 AM
IceCapsFanNL

I suppose its a case of embarrasment of riches. All have been playing well, and have kept the team competitive with all the forwards ouit.

Old
02-09-2012, 10:31 AM
trouty

Kulda takes too many pims,and sometimes is a LIABILITY IN HIS OWN END.Postma great offensive defenseman but he too makes mistakes in his own end.Traves Ramsey and Brett Festerling in my eyes are the best and most consistant d men on team,Ramsey does all the simple things right and if you dont notice him hes doing his job

Old
02-09-2012, 11:22 AM
IceCapsFanNL

I agree about Ramsey, he is very solid.

I had to laugh when I read an interview he did with the local paper. He is from Long Beach, CA, and went to college in Maine. At the time he thought that was as far from home as he would ever be in his hockey career. Little did he know!!

Closed Thread