HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All-purpose prospect thread (all St. John's and Jets prospect talk here)

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2012, 06:55 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Neither Gregoire now Melchiori crack the top 10 for me. Gregoire is not big, does not have very good offensive potential, is not fast, I am just not seeing where he fits into an NHL roster. I grew up playing with Gregoire, I understand that he does have some skill, but it is not NHL calibre, IMO. Melchiori is a decent enough prospect I guess, good size, decent skater, but his defensive awareness is not great, not overly physical, not sold on him really. My top 10...

1. C Mark Scheifele
2. LW Carl Klingberg
3. RW Spencer Machacek
4. D Paul Postma
5. D Arturs Kulda
6. C Patrice Cormier
7. RW Ivan Telegin
8. LW Adam Lowry
9. D Zach Redmond
10. C Ben Maxwell
HM: D Zachery Yuen
I've always been a supporter of Melchiori. He's actually a really good skater for his size, he still needs work on his defensive and physical game, but he uses his positioning and stick well. IMO he still projects as a top 4 d-man. He should be signed at the end of this year and be put in the AHL next season.

My list...

1. C Mark Scheifele
2. LW Carl Klingberg
3. D Paul Postma
4. C Patrice Cormier
5. RW Ivan Telegin
6. RW Spencer Machacek
7. D Zach Redmond
8. D Julian Melchiori
9. LW Adam Lowry
10. D Arturs Kulda
HM RW Austen Brassard

Old
03-08-2012, 07:22 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
I've always been a supporter of Melchiori. He's actually a really good skater for his size, he still needs work on his defensive and physical game, but he uses his positioning and stick well. IMO he still projects as a top 4 d-man. He should be signed at the end of this year and be put in the AHL next season.

My list...

1. C Mark Scheifele
2. LW Carl Klingberg
3. D Paul Postma
4. C Patrice Cormier
5. RW Ivan Telegin
6. RW Spencer Machacek
7. D Zach Redmond
8. D Julian Melchiori
9. LW Adam Lowry
10. D Arturs Kulda
HM RW Austen Brassard
The thing that has me concerned with Melchiori is that he is already an overager in the OHL and has been pretty average by all reports. In fact he did not even start in the OHL till 19, which is weird. TBH, I would not be at all surprised if Melciori is not signed this off-season and allowed to become UFA. I expect overagers to completely dominant their leagues if they want to have a chance at a solid NHL career, he has failed to do so.

Austen Brassard is an interesting pick there, don't know alot about him right now, but he is certainly showing lots of improvement.

Old
03-08-2012, 08:06 PM
LeafsColts13

vCash: 1400
Mark Scheifele is having one of his better games tonight as the Colts are destroying the Wolves 7-0 at the end of the 2nd period. Telegin has had a few good rushes but according to an interview with a player saying Telegin is sick so don't expect a multi goal period tonight.

Old
03-08-2012, 08:10 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
The thing that has me concerned with Melchiori is that he is already an overager in the OHL and has been pretty average by all reports. In fact he did not even start in the OHL till 19, which is weird. TBH, I would not be at all surprised if Melciori is not signed this off-season and allowed to become UFA. I expect overagers to completely dominant their leagues if they want to have a chance at a solid NHL career, he has failed to do so.
He originally committed to UMass Lowell at 16 years old, which is why he took the OJHL route. At age 18 he changed his mind in what direction his hockey career should go (with some convincing of his uncle Mike Murphy NHL senior VP of hockey ops), which is why he went to Kitchener. I know he's an OA this year, but I feel like his ceiling is a lot higher than what's currently been shown (which has been steady improvement each year).

Quote:
Austen Brassard is an interesting pick there, don't know alot about him right now, but he is certainly showing lots of improvement.
He still needs to work on his skating and must add muscle to his frame. He plays a gritty tough game and his offensive output this year is nice to see. His game has improved every year, which is a positive when evaluating his ceiling.

Old
03-08-2012, 08:11 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsColts13 View Post
Mark Scheifele is having one of his better games tonight as the Colts are destroying the Wolves 7-0 at the end of the 2nd period. Telegin has had a few good rushes but according to an interview with a player saying Telegin is sick so don't expect a multi goal period tonight.
Definitely a good night for Scheifele - 2G and 1A. Telegin with 1A so far.

Old
03-08-2012, 08:13 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Nice to see

Old
03-09-2012, 12:22 AM
suitup17

Are they on the same line? Thought they were.

Old
03-09-2012, 01:04 AM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
I'm hoping this performance can get him going.

Old
03-09-2012, 05:19 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Just be patient!

Friday, March 9, 2012

Hershey Bears 1 St. John's IceCaps 6
(FINAL)

Game Summary
http://theahl.com/stats/game-summary...ame_id=1009528

Scoring
1. STJ Cormier, (12) (Kulda), 7:53
1. HER Greentree, (6) (Potulny, Eakin), 10:34 (PP)
2. STJ Jaffray, (17) (Clark), 5:10
2. STJ Cormier, (13) (Albert, Machacek), 6:43
2. STJ Clark, (10) (Maxwell, Albert), 12:53
3. STJ Cormier, (14) (Postma, DeSantis), 3:14
3. STJ Machacek, (14) (Cormier), 15:22

Quote:
@IceCapsAHL
Goal! IceCaps get on the board first as Patrice Cormier sneaks one past Braden Holtby on a breakaway! 1-0.
Quote:
@IceCapsAHL
Goal! Beautiful move by Jaffray streaking down the right wing and cutting to the net, beating the defender and tucking it past Holtby.
Quote:
@IceCapsAHL
Goal! After a flurry of activity in front of the net Cormier banks one off Holtby from the side of the net to give the IceCaps a 3-1 lead.
Quote:
@IceCapsAHL
Goal! Great work by Albert down low leads to Maxwell feeding Clark in front on a beauty backhand setup. 4-1 IceCaps!
Quote:
@IceCapsAHL
Goal! Cormier gets the hat-trick after being sprung on yet another breakaway! Beautiful move to go backhand-forehand to make it 5-1.
Quote:
@IceCapsAHL
Goal! Cormier to Machacek off the rush to make it 6-1 IceCaps!

Starting Goaltender
Eddie Pasquale

Notes
Shots 33-20 IceCaps. St.John's goes 0/2 on the PP, 2/3 on the PK and take 20 PIM.

Patrice Cormier gets the hatty. He's been red hot for the IceCaps. Nine points in his last four games.

Da Bears took the Washington Capitals charter jet to get to the Rock for this weekends series of games.

Cormier is the third IceCap to get a hat trick this year. Carl Klingberg did the trick on October 15 vs the Sound Tigers and Jason Jaffray fired his on November 12 vs the Whale.

Dany Sabourin replaced Braden Holtby in the Bears net after St. John's third goal.

Last edited by AndersUlfBobby: 03-09-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old
03-09-2012, 06:31 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Just be patient!

Jets CHL Prospects Report for Friday, March 9

Jets CHL Prospects Report for Friday, March 9

Plymouth Whalers 4 Kitchener Rangers 2 (FINAL)
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/s...how/game/59264

Cody Sol, KIT; G-0, A-0, Plus/Minus 0, PIM-4

Belleville Bulls 1 Sudbury Wolves 3 (FINAL)
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/s...how/game/59266

Austen Brassard, BEL; G-0, A-0, Plus/Minus -1, PIM-0

Swift Current Broncos 2 Prince Albert Raiders 5 (FINAL)
http://www.whl.ca/schedule/show/game/60125

Adam Lowry, SC; injured, could be out for the season

Moose Jaw Warriors 4 Regina Pats 5 (FINAL)
http://www.whl.ca/schedule/show/game/60126

Kendall McFaull, MJ; G-0, A-0, Plus/Minus -4, PIM-2

Tri-City Americans 4 Spokane Chiefs 2 (FINAL)
http://www.whl.ca/schedule/show/game/60132

Zach Yuen, TC; G-0, A-0, Plus/Minus -1, PIM-0

Tomorrow's Games
Kitchener Rangers (Cody Sol) (39-22-1-1) @ Erie Otters (10-47-3-3)
Belleville Bulls (Austen Brassard) (32-31-1-0) @ Barrie Colts (Mark Scheifele & Ivan Telegin) (38-22-2-2)
Regina Pats (35-25-5-2) @ Moose Jaw Warriors (Kendall McFaull) (41-18-6-2)
Prince Albert Raiders (21-40-3-3) @ Swift Current Broncos (Adam Lowry) (25-36-2-6)

Last edited by AndersUlfBobby: 03-09-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old
03-09-2012, 07:47 PM
Thrashers94
We fly as one

Nice to see Patrice get a hatty.

Old
03-09-2012, 10:02 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

I'm glad to see Cormier is showing that type of offensive flare in his game.

Old
03-09-2012, 10:55 PM
Hansen Brother

Kulda is now a +18. I know that stat doesn't say it all, but still impressive.

Old
03-10-2012, 01:26 AM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Guess the play of Klingberg would be considered a disappointment, 13 goals at the xmas break and 2 since, 15 goals in 50 AHL games doesn't seem like he is destined for much in the NHL and really lacks the physical play for a 3rd or 4th line NHL role.

Old
03-10-2012, 02:12 AM
Wpgpage

To early to write Klingberg off, first season of more than 50 ish games and a huge increase in TOI so no surprise he had a drop off. Still has upside his real test will be if he can take steps forward next year. 33 PTS in 49 games really isn't that bad for a guy in his first AHL season. Also not sure why you would take him off 3rd line duties he would be fine in that role.

Old
03-10-2012, 09:22 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Guess the play of Klingberg would be considered a disappointment, 13 goals at the xmas break and 2 since, 15 goals in 50 AHL games doesn't seem like he is destined for much in the NHL and really lacks the physical play for a 3rd or 4th line NHL role.
Did you watch him play? He'd be perfect for a 3rd line role. He's more of an energy forward than a pure offensive one. I don't really understand why you'd be willing to write him off so quickly.

Old
03-10-2012, 11:57 AM
IceCapsFanNL

That was some game last night. The Caps were flying, scored a bunch, and looked a lot better than the Bears.

Check out the highlights on the Caps homepage. Jaffray's goal was real nice.

This was the first chance to see Macenaur and Sawata. The two of them and Murray make a great checking line.

Its a tougher team with the additions

I saw the game from one of the luxury booths. A dozen of us polished off five dozen beer and a bottle of rum, some wine. Great fun

Old
03-10-2012, 12:03 PM
IceCapsFanNL

If i had to rank the Caps as NHL prospects....

Postma
Klingberg
Cormier
Redmond
DeSantis
Albert
Pasquale
Kulda

Old
03-10-2012, 12:06 PM
IceCapsFanNL

BTW,

Off the ice things are going well, every game has sold out. Looks like will all season

Old
03-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
I have to say i feel you've had him written off in your head for a while if your cashing out already.

He's put up far better offensive numbers then he ever has before, he's got really good acceleration and i personally love him as third liner leading the forecheck.

honestly i'll be shocked if he never develops into a solid energy guy, and i still see a ceiling of becoming role player on a 2nd line.

Now, that ceiling isn't likely, but I do see it as a possibility. his speed, physicality(which is pretty evident from all i've seen from him) and his never-quit engine are going to carry this kid a long way, whether or not his finish ever improves.

Old
03-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCapsFanNL View Post
If i had to rank the Caps as NHL prospects....

Postma
Klingberg
Cormier
Redmond
DeSantis
Albert
Pasquale
Kulda
Neither DeSantis nor Albert are signed by the Jets...and unless I am mistaken, we do not hold the rights to either (I know DeSantis is NHL UFA, Albert is according to me, but I see him listed in places as Jets property, but I've yet to find out why).

Why are so you so down on Kulda? He was very very good in his callup, is leading the team in +/- by a WIDE margin and is nearing career numbers even in offense in waay less games than the past. He will never be an impact player probably, but he skates well, blocks shots, great first pass, never out of position, wins board battles. To me he is a PERFECT stay at home defenseman, kinda like a young Rob Scuderi, who was a key componant on the shutdown pairing for the Stanley Cup champions Penguins a few years ago.

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 03-10-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old
03-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Neither DeSantis nor Albert are signed by the Jets...and unless I am mistaken, we do not hold the rights to either (I know DeSantis is NHL UFA, Albert is according to me, but I see him listed in places).

Why are so you so down on Kulda? He was very very good in his callup, is leading the team in +/- by a WIDE margin and is nearing career numbers even in offense in waay less games than the past. He will never be an impact player probably, but he skates well, blocks shots, great first pass, never out of position, wins board battles. To me he is a PERFECT stay at home defenseman, kinda like a young Rob Scuderi, who was a key componant on the shutdown pairing for the Stanley Cup champions Penguins a few years ago.
I totally agree with you, hadn't thought of it before but Scuderi-esq would definitely sum up how i feel about kulda's future (based off his callup)

Old
03-10-2012, 01:16 PM
Hammer Slammer

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Some pictures from the game against the Bears.

http://imgur.com/a/t3bVN#0

03-10-2012, 02:17 PM
IceCapsFanNL

Quote:
Neither DeSantis nor Albert are signed by the Jets...and unless I am mistaken, we do not hold the rights to either (I know DeSantis is NHL UFA, Albert is according to me, but I see him listed in places as Jets property, but I've yet to find out why).

I like Kulda, but from I see at the games, I think Postma, DeSantis and Redmond are better prospects overall

Old
03-10-2012, 05:01 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Just be patient!

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Hershey Bears 2 St. John's IceCaps 3 (SO)
(FINAL)

Game Summary
http://theahl.com/stats/game-summary...ame_id=1009542

Scoring
2. HER Potulny, (23) (Greentree, McNeill), 3:43 (PP)
2. STJ Postma, (13) (Redmond, Jaffray), 7:56 (PP)
3. STJ King, (17) (Ramsey, Gagnon), 8:55
3. HER Pope, (7) (Collins, Marshall), 17:19

Quote:
@IceCapsAHL
Goal! IceCaps finally get one on the PP as Postma's shot gets through a crowd and find the back of the net. 1-1 on Postma's 13th.
Quote:
@IceCapsAHL
Goal! Bouncing puck hits Jason King's stick on a mad scramble in front and finds the twine for a 2-1 IceCaps lead with 10:53 left!

Shoot Out
Maxwell, stopped
King, SCORES!!!
Klingberg, misfires
Jaffray, fires over the net

Pasquale stops all 5 Bear shooters

Starting Goaltender
Eddie Pasquale

Notes
Caps outshoot the Bears 31-30. They go 1/6 on the PP, 3/4 on the PK and take 10 PIM

Quote:
@IceCapsChris
The @IceCapsAHL have scored 5 or more goals 10 times this season, going 10-0-0-0 in those games. Have scored 16 goals in last 3.
Quote:
@IceCapsChris
The @IceCapsAHL are 2-5 in overtime this season and 3-2 in shootouts.

Last edited by AndersUlfBobby: 03-10-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Closed Thread