HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

All-purpose prospect thread (all St. John's and Jets prospect talk here)

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2012, 09:58 PM
krazy kanuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
That is great to hear KK, you are defiantly the best person to speak about these guys.

I think unless Telegin really lights it up in TC and forces the Jets to keep him up, that he will start the year in St. Johns. But that would also depend on what happens with Wellwood, Fehr, Machacek, and Mittens.

Mittens has a NTC, so he most likely is back. Machacek has been playing pretty well in his brief stint, so I can see a scenario where if he continues to play well the rest of the year that he gets a shot with the Jets next year. If Wellwood is resigned he is either on the 2nd line, or hopefully on the 3rd if we can get a #2RW somewhere. I can't see Fehr qualified, but maybe he resigns at a lower hit as a UFA.

Basically, I think that there might be a logjam at 3rd line wingers next year (if all of the above are back). And that does not include Klingberg (although he might be ready in 2013). I don't think putting him in as a #2RW is a good idea either as there is no real need to rush him into the NHL, and that might be a little too much pressure.

But, if Fehr walks, Wellwood signs somewhere else, and the Jets find a taker for Mittens, well then I guess anything could happen.

I am getting excited to start seeing what he can do in the pros though. If he does good in St. Johns, there is no reason why he couldn't be brought up sooner rather than later.
My pleasure. A year in the AHL certainly wouldn't hurt him but, for whatever it's worth, I think he's ready. Some would say he has to be careful about cutting across the middle, but I see NHL level speed and shot right now. We kind of thought we would have him for the OA year when we acquired him, but that happens...it's easier to see them go when they're ready as opposed to rushed (Burmistrov).

Old
03-27-2012, 12:54 AM
bazaaa*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
If you get chance to see Telegin's first goal tonight do...laser beam from the top of the circle showed how he can flat out beat a goalie glove side even when he knows it's coming... Another goal and assist tonight.
Here's both their goals.
It was a nice shot but goalie was clearly screened and didn't see it coming.

Old
03-27-2012, 06:28 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazaaa View Post
Here's both their goals.
It was a nice shot but goalie was clearly screened and didn't see it coming.
Can you send the link (it doesn't appear to have shown up)? It's interesting, it may have been the camera angle - as I say I sit right in a straight line behind the goalie from where Telegin sits and I wasn't screened (by any of the skaters or Maxwell).

Old
03-27-2012, 06:42 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Can you send the link (it doesn't appear to have shown up)? It's interesting, it may have been the camera angle - as I say I sit right in a straight line behind the goalie from where Telegin sits and I wasn't screened (by any of the skaters or Maxwell).
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/v...68332ec7bf3c31

Old
03-27-2012, 07:20 AM
IceCapsFanNL

I've been looking for these videos since the season started. Just to give you folks in the 'Peg a flavor of what the atmosphere is like down here, I'd figure I'd post a couple of videos that have just popped up on you tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP8GynFmWRk

They started playing this video probably one month into the season. When the lights are down, they play this video, then they play "I'm Shipping up to Boston" by the Dropkick Murphys when the players come out

Old
03-27-2012, 08:12 AM
IceCapsFanNL

I wanted to post this just after the season started but it was only recently put up on youtube.

The following video was played on the screens and projected on the ice before the players came out on the ice on opening night.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Walshp27?feature=watch

There is an awful lot in the video, but as someone interested in local hockey history, I thought the Jets fans might find it interesting.

Just a few comments on what is in that video. The producers did a good job of tying as much St. Johnís hockey history as they could into the allotted time.
Video starts off with film of Memorial Stadium which was our stadium from the early 50ís to 2001. The video is accompanied by, ďThe New Goodbye,Ē by a local band named Hey Rosetta!

1904 Boyle Trophy

This was awarded for the winner of the St. Johnís Senior hockey league until the early 1970ís. This was the most watched hockey in the city for decades. Teams were based on religion. You had St. Bonís supported by the establishment Catholics, St. Pats by the working class Catholics, Anglicans supported the Feldians, and United Church people supported the Guards. Games were very intense and rivalries were as bitter as you could get.

1935 Herder Trophy

This is awarded to the champ of whatever version of Provincial Senior Hockey is being played at the time. For a long time the champions of the St. Johnís league would compete for the trophy, but by the 60ís a separate team called the St. Johnís Capitals competed for the Herder. The Caps havenít existed since about 1990. The Herder is still awarded, and is being contested as I write.

1959 St. Pats win the Boyle

St. Pats won the Boyle after St. Bonís had won 16 years in a row.

Old
03-27-2012, 08:14 AM
IceCapsFanNL

1970ís Howie Meeker

In the early 60ís the Guards were tired of losing to St. Bonís and St. Pats so they hired Howie Meeker to come to St. Johnís and run the team. Within a couple of years the Guards had won the Boyle Trophy several times. He was involved with the St. Johnís Caps as well. He was known as a hard taskmaster, but my dad, who played for the Guards and later the Caps really respected him as a coach. He ran a local hockey school and a TV show was made of his school. As a little guy I went to the school and was on TV as maybe a six-seven year old.

1980ís

This brief clip shows the traditional colors and logos of those old Caps teams I remember so well. If the IceCaps ever have a third jersey and used something like that they would sell a ton.

My father, who is in his seventies, played for the Guards and the Caps and won championships with them. Some of my earliest memories are seeing him play at the old Memorial Stadium, with a crowd packed in like no stadium would allow today.

On opening night seeing all of this history at once was very emotional for me, and I will always remember when the chant started, ďGo Caps GoĒ and an old lady behind me said, ďI never thought Iíd hear that again.Ē I thought the same thing.

I hope the relationship between TSNE and St. Johnís lasts a long, long time.

Old
03-27-2012, 08:18 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCapsFanNL View Post
I've been looking for these videos since the season started. Just to give you folks in the 'Peg a flavor of what the atmosphere is like down here, I'd figure I'd post a couple of videos that have just popped up on you tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP8GynFmWRk

They started playing this video probably one month into the season. When the lights are down, they play this video, then they play "I'm Shipping up to Boston" by the Dropkick Murphys when the players come out
Great video, thanks for sharing.

Old
03-27-2012, 08:30 AM
IceCapsFanNL

The rivalries that still exist in senior hockey today are just as bitter. Even old rivalries are still heard. Catholics of a certain age still dislike Meeker because he ended the St. Pat's-St. Bon's dynasty.

When the IceCaps name was released last summer, radio talk shows had lots of people outside of St. John's call in and say they hated the name, due to its connection to the days of the Caps, and the Caps haven't existed since about 1990.

I think this history has infused itself into the hockey culture in this place. Going back to the days of the St. John's senior hockey it would have been unhealthy to be a Catholic and show up to a game with a Guards jersey. It wasn't done.

I got into a bit of trouble in the Marlies thread last fall when the Marlies return to St. John's.

To those of us of a certain age, it isn't cool to wear other teams colors to the games. Kids are forgiven of course, but I was disgusted at the time at all of the locals wearing Leafs gear, it was maybe 10-20% of the rink. I have been a Leafs fan for 40 years, but there was no way in H**l I would wear ever any Leaf gear to a Caps game. I thought it was me but almost every Leaf fan I talked to, about 30 people I'd guess, had the same reaction. Anyone who has followed senior hockey has a loyalty to their team similar to English Football.

They didn't get it at the Marlies board, they weren't nice about it, I had to drop it. One more nail in the coffin of my being a Leaf fan.

Now, say someone from Hamilton came here with a 'Dogs jersy, that is cool, you are supporting your team.

This feeling was magnified by how we were done wrong by MLSE. A friend of mine said that cheering for the Marlies would be like cheering for your ex-wife.

Old
03-27-2012, 08:38 AM
IceCapsFanNL

Just looked at the second video. Notice a young Marc Crawford as the first Leafs coach, and Wellwood as a Leaf scoring on the Moose!!

Old
03-27-2012, 10:22 AM
Rheged
JMFT

Quote:
Bob McKenzie ‏ @TSNBobMcKenzie Close
Should see some U.S. college UFAs sign in next 24-48 hrs. UMD's J.T. Brown, Miami's Cam Schilling, Maine's Spencer Abbott, amongst others.
McKenzie reporting that some of the bigger named undrafted NCAA players should be signing soon.

I've kind of wondered if this was an avenue we might see the Jets take to try and add depth to the professional ranks. It tends to miss more than hit I think but look at a guy like Matt Read and what he did in Philly this year, definitely has the potential to work.

Spencer Abbott, who played with with Will O'Neill who just signed yesterday, led the NCAA with 62 points in 39 games. He's a smaller guy but still could be interesting to take a look at.

Old
03-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
McKenzie reporting that some of the bigger named undrafted NCAA players should be signing soon.

I've kind of wondered if this was an avenue we might see the Jets take to try and add depth to the professional ranks. It tends to miss more than hit I think but look at a guy like Matt Read and what he did in Philly this year, definitely has the potential to work.

Spencer Abbott, who played with with Will O'Neill who just signed yesterday, led the NCAA with 62 points in 39 games. He's a smaller guy but still could be interesting to take a look at.
Neato, I read a good article on JT Brown (no link, it was in print) and he sounded a bit "project-ish" but the type of player were after (hardworking, big body, north-south).

EDIT: Apparently he's only 5'10 so maybe not the height, but definitly sounded like "our kind of guy"- hardworking, etc

Scouts were pretty split on him though, some thought he could totally develop into a top 6 power forward, others said he wasn't going anywhere.

Last edited by Grind: 03-27-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old
03-27-2012, 12:58 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersUlfBobby View Post
Jets CHL Prospects Report for Monday, March 26
Mississauga St. Michaels Majors 0 Barrie Colts 4 (FINAL)
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/s...how/game/61445

Barrie leads series 2-1

Mark Scheifele, BAR; G-1, A-0, Plus/Minus 0, PIM-0

Ivan Telegin, BAR; G-1, A-1, Plus/Minus +1, PIM-2
Here are the highlights from that game...

Old
03-27-2012, 01:51 PM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Here are the highlights from that game...
Thanks , was looking for the game summary .

We all are talking "future" right now and if a franchise gets a later round choice to develop into a significant piece , that certainly speeds up the overall progression. We just may have that in Telegin , while he may need some seasoning , from what has been reported the last half of this year , he could become a 2nd or 3rd line winger with elite speed and size. That would really really help in becoming a stronger , consistent playoff team , imo.

Old
03-27-2012, 02:26 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Greeting Jets fans

Just saw that the team signed (now former) Maine defenseman Will O'Neill. I had a feeling that Winnipeg would sign him considering the terrific season that he has had.

I wish Will all the best with the Jets and I hope you all will keep me posted on his progress.

Old
03-27-2012, 04:34 PM
ps241
Drunken rant!

Thrilled to see Telegin on fire......honestly a sniper that Ducky said is the fastest skater in the OHL right now (Dale said he has the best acceleration he has ever seen in a junior player) and it really sounded like Hawerchuk felt Telegin was ready for the NHL when they interviewed him on Hustler and Lawless and Dale said ďwhen a player dominates every night like Ivan is doing it means he is ready for the next levelĒ

Also of note I know Scheifeleís goal was the 4th of the game and kind of in garbage time but that was a sweet snipe!

Old
03-27-2012, 04:51 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

If we sign J.T. Brown, it would make me almost as happy as if we had made the playoffs. The guy is going to be an NHLer.

Spencer Abbott wouldn't be too bad either. Like Rheged mentioned, he did play with Will O'Neill.

Edit: Looks like Brown won't be signing with us

Quote:
John Buccigross ‏ @Buccigross
Hearing JT Brown from UMD is down to Phiily, Boston and Tampa Bay #cawlidgehawky

Last edited by WJG: 03-27-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old
03-27-2012, 05:15 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Great video, thanks for sharing.
X2! I enjoyed that!

Old
03-27-2012, 05:22 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Thrilled to see Telegin on fire......honestly a sniper that Ducky said is the fastest skater in the OHL right now (Dale said he has the best acceleration he has ever seen in a junior player) and it really sounded like Hawerchuk felt Telegin was ready for the NHL when they interviewed him on Hustler and Lawless and Dale said ďwhen a player dominates every night like Ivan is doing it means he is ready for the next levelĒ
I'd say he is the fastest skater in the OHL this year, but I'm not sure about the best acceleration comment...unless Dale didn't watch all that much junior. Dale wasn't coaching in this league when Burmistrov was here...Ivan would be in the conversation but I'm not sure his accelleration is there with the all-time Colts I've seen (i.e. Burmistrov and Alex Hutchings). Taylor Hall probably had a quicker burst out of the gates as well, but I hardly ever got to see him play (Windsor is in the other conference).

Curious, did Dale say anything about Scheifele's readiness on this radio show?

Old
03-27-2012, 05:41 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Was there 35 yrs ago

Jets CHL Prospects Report for Tuesday, March 27

Jets CHL Prospects Report for Tuesday, March 27

Tri-City Americans 4 Everett Silvertips 0 (FINAL)
http://www.whl.ca/schedule/show/game/61485

(Tri-City leads series 3-0)

Zach Yuen, TC; G-0, A-1, Plus/Minus +2, PIM-0
Zach gets a helper on Tri-City's second goal

Moose Jaw Warriors 5 Regina Pats 3 (FINAL)
http://www.whl.ca/schedule/show/game/61408

(Moose Jaw leads series 2-1)

Kendall McFaull, MJ; G-0, A-0, Plus/Minus +2, PIM-0

Barrie Colts 2 Mississauga St. Michaels Majors 3 (FINAL)
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/s...how/game/61446

(Series tied 2-2)

Mark Scheifele, BAR; G-0, A-1, Plus/Minus +1, PIM-0
Mark assists on Ivan's goal

Ivan Telegin, BAR; G-1, A-0, Plus/Minus +1, PIM-0
Ivan opens scoring for the Colts

Ottawa 67's 3 Belleville Bulls 4 (OT) (FINAL)
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/s...how/game/61447

(Series tied 2-2)

Austen Brassard, BEL; G-1, A-0, Plus/Minus 0, PIM-2
Austen scores the Bulls third goal

Tomorrow's Games
Niagara IceDogs @ Oshawa Generals (Julian Melchiori)
Kitchener Rangers (Cody Sol) @ Owen Sound Attack
Moose Jaw Warriors (Kendall McFaull) @ Regina Pats
Tri-City Americans (Zach Yuen) @ Everett Silvertips

Last edited by AndersUlfBobby: 03-28-2012 at 06:32 AM.
Old
03-28-2012, 12:14 AM
ps241
Drunken rant!

Quote:
I'd say he is the fastest skater in the OHL this year, but I'm not sure about the best acceleration comment...unless Dale didn't watch all that much junior. Dale wasn't coaching in this league when Burmistrov was here...Ivan would be in the conversation but I'm not sure his accelleration is there with the all-time Colts I've seen (i.e. Burmistrov and Alex Hutchings). Taylor Hall probably had a quicker burst out of the gates as well, but I hardly ever got to see him play (Windsor is in the other conference).

Curious, did Dale say anything about Scheifele's readiness on this radio show?
Said Mark had hit a wall which happens. I think he felt Mark needed to get to the point that he was dominating every night like Telegin is doing. sounded like at the point of the interview he might have been leaning towards Mark having one more year in Barrie. All that being said it is 5 months until training camp so we will have to see how much Mark physically changes. dale was really complimentary about Mark but said people have to remember it's only his second full season of juniors

Thanks for the balanced viewpoint of Telegins speed and acceleration.......Dale compared him to Yvan Cournoyer which seems a bit far fetched

Old
03-28-2012, 01:18 PM
jetkarma

A little blurb on one our prospects. His plus/minus makes you look twice the last two years.

#10 Zachary Yuen – Two-Way Defenseman [Winnipeg]
Pros: Good skater. Always makes the smart play. Plays both ends of the ice. Plays every situation.
Cons: Not physical enough. Offensive potential might be limited.
Potential: 3-5 spot TWD

Old
03-28-2012, 02:07 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
A little blurb on one our prospects. His plus/minus makes you look twice the last two years.

#10 Zachary Yuen Ė Two-Way Defenseman [Winnipeg]
Pros: Good skater. Always makes the smart play. Plays both ends of the ice. Plays every situation.
Cons: Not physical enough. Offensive potential might be limited.
Potential: 3-5 spot TWD
I really like Zachary Yuen and I think when all is said and done he will be one of our better prospects. He is so good defensively and has a real high hockey IQ. He will need some time in the AHL, but that time will be good for him to work on some of those cons.

I can see him developing into a solid #3 or #4 defenseman in the mold of a Dan Girardi or a Jan Hejda. If that's what he becomes, I'd be quite pleased with using a 4th rounder on him.

Old
03-28-2012, 02:28 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
I really like Zachary Yuen and I think when all is said and done he will be one of our better prospects. He is so good defensively and has a real high hockey IQ. He will need some time in the AHL, but that time will be good for him to work on some of those cons.

I can see him developing into a solid #3 or #4 defenseman in the mold of a Dan Girardi or a Jan Hejda. If that's what he becomes, I'd be quite pleased with using a 4th rounder on him.
If that happens, people will have to give some credit to the scouting staff and Cheveldayoff, because the Jets had to move a 5th and a 7th to get this 4th round pick after the Jets had previously moved two 4ths (97 and 108) to get an extra pick in round 3 (Brennan Serville @ 78)

Old
03-28-2012, 02:39 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Boy I really like some of our picks the last couple of years. Telegin and Yuen could be solid middle round picks in a couple of years.

Am I right to assume that Telegin is eligible to play in the AHL next year?

Closed Thread