HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Additonal cap related feather for DL

Old
09-30-2011, 11:51 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

vCash: 500
Additonal cap related feather for DL

Assuming Drew Doughty's contract doesn't include a NTC or NMC, then DL has really worked a lot of magic relating to the cap. The Kings currently only have one player who has a NMC and no players with a NTC.

That one player is Mike Richards, and his NMC was negotiated in Philly and doesn't actually kick in until July 1st, 2012.

Only one other team, Colorado, has one player on a NMC/NTC clause (Milan Hedjuk). All other teams have at least two or more players with NTC/NMC.

In a cap world, this is a level of fexibility no other team has, least of all a cup contending team like we potentially are. We really don't have any concerns if a player flops, as we can simply shiop him out, and aren't pigeon-holed like other teams are, such as Calgary.

I'm not opposed to NTC/NMC but they shouldn't be handed out like candy like some GM's have done (how Matt Cooke has a modified NTC I'll likely never understand), and DL has done a wonderful job of getting some for the most part excellent cap hits out of players and still not handing out any hand-tying deals. I think that deserves a big round of applause.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:10 PM
Johnny Utah

Meehan said there is NO clauses of any sort, Kings were firm from the beginning.

http://www.fan590.com/media.jsp?cont...30_124346_7556

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 01:20 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Thanks Johnny.

I don't think it can be understated how important this will be in giving the Kings cap flexibility going forward. Almost every team has a cap albatross on their team that comes with restrictions on moving that player, meaning the team basically has to pay to get rid of the guy. I'm not saying we are completely free of worry on that front, but this lack of NTC/NMC's certainly lessens it.

Old
09-30-2011, 03:44 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Thanks Johnny.

I don't think it can be understated how important this will be in giving the Kings cap flexibility going forward. Almost every team has a cap albatross on their team that comes with restrictions on moving that player, meaning the team basically has to pay to get rid of the guy. I'm not saying we are completely free of worry on that front, but this lack of NTC/NMC's certainly lessens it.
I can't imagine the Kings trading Doughty during this new contract, but you never know. a $7M cap hit is a lot for a player who isn't pulling his weight.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 04:59 PM
onlyalad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
I can't imagine the Kings trading Doughty during this new contract, but you never know. a $7M cap hit is a lot for a player who isn't pulling his weight.
Hey I thought we agreed no fat jokes

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 05:03 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Yep, DL has done a great job of signing players to a good/reasonable contracts.

With Smyth gone, I don't see anyone who's overpriced.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 05:04 PM
Ollie Weeks

Matt Greene at just under 3 million dollars is our "albatross" contract. That's an awesome situation to be in.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 05:05 PM
null33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
A big cap hit doesn't help, but Phaneuf got traded.

So did Campbell.

Still. There could be more to it than just Cap flexibility. With a $60M+ payroll, and not much beyond the gate, the Kings, as an entity*, can't be making money. Or at least not much.

The lack of NMCs/NTCs also provides cost flexibility down the line for AEG or another owner.

-----------------
*But it's likely other pieces of AEG benefit from the Kings.

null33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 05:07 PM
null33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Meehan said there is NO clauses of any sort, Kings were firm from the beginning.

http://www.fan590.com/media.jsp?cont...30_124346_7556
Listening to that... the radio dude seemed certain that the deal confirms that "Lombardi caved".

Odd.

null33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 01:48 AM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Weeks View Post
Matt Greene at just under 3 million dollars is our "albatross" contract. That's an awesome situation to be in.
Actually the Kings worst contract is Jack's in my opinion... which is ironic because he negotiated it himself. It's not a horrible contract though and again, no NMC/NTC, so it's all good.

Dean's greatest strength as a GM is his Cap management. His drafting has been pretty good, not perfect of course, but what GM drafts perfectly? His trades have been ok (mixed bag), his signings have been ok (mixed bag), but his cap management has been terrific!

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 02:01 AM
sweatypickle

has it actually been confirmed that the Kings did decide to keep Richards NMC?

sweatypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 02:19 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatypickle View Post
has it actually been confirmed that the Kings did decide to keep Richards NMC?
The NMC is part of the contract. A new team can't just get rid of it, it comes with the player. Richards NMC doesn't actually start until July, 2012.

Old
10-01-2011, 02:33 AM
Fishhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
The NMC is part of the contract. A new team can't just get rid of it, it comes with the player. Richards NMC doesn't actually start until July, 2012.
As long as the player is traded prior to the clause taking effect, it's up to the new team to honor it or not. They are not bound in any way, according to the CBA.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 02:46 AM
yankeeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars H View Post
Listening to that... the radio dude seemed certain that the deal confirms that "Lombardi caved".

Odd.
yea but he is talking to the otherside if he inferred that drew caved conversation over, and if making the call that triggered the signing is caving thats cool, how much longer does the team suffer if we waited on a 21 year old and a greedy agent, remembering that this is the guy that got Capt. Canada traded over a couple hundred thousand bucks

yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:16 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
As long as the player is traded prior to the clause taking effect, it's up to the new team to honor it or not. They are not bound in any way, according to the CBA.
Really? Well holy **** Batman, so that means we actually have NO NMC/NTC's if DL elected to not honor Richards'? That's unreal. One additional handclap!