HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dreger Insider

Old
09-30-2011, 04:46 PM
Hurt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
I think you'll be surprised what Burke will do this season to get the Leafs into the playoffs.
That is what has worried me the last couple of weeks.

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 04:48 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Jewel View Post
Dreger may as well just say it's Ryan Malone.

Big. Check.

American. Check

Good for 25 goals. Check

Has experience playing on top lines. Check

Tampa also has two young big forwards in Connolly and Ashton who can fill his position.
Really don't want Malone.

Big salary, soon to be 31 years old, career high of 51 points. We have better options.

MoreMogilny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Schenn
In Rod We Trust

vCash: 816
Quote:

Big. Check.

American. Check

Good for 25 goals. Check

Tampa also has two young big forwards in Connolly and Ashton who can fill his position.

This makes the most sense to me. Tampa also needs a little bit better defensive depth. I feel like an idiot proposing Gunnarson i a trade but A deal revolved around Gunnarson for Malone makes sense.

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
No, I don't think I'll be surprised, because I'm fully aware of how badly Burke wants to make the playoffs, and with every year that goes by without us in it, he's more likely to make an extreme move to put us there. I just hope we are in a good enough position that he doesn't have to do so.
I am a bit hindered to be honest, I hope we can be stable after the pre-season is over.

Quote:
Yeah, Morrow would definitely be a better option than Lupul on the top line. I do think that he deserves his chance to show us what he can do though. The final 28 games of last season with him saw Kessel put up over a PPG, so I'd like to see what these two can do with a capable center.

I don't think Dallas would make such a deal unless Franson proved himself as a bonafide top 4 defenseman first. Even then, it's hard to say, he is their captain, and they too need to make the playoffs.
I don't see it happening, they are in the same spot as us basically so why would they barter with us.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 04:49 PM
Rinzler

I think this Dreger report just echos what many of us already suspect. Burke is now in the position to make a blockbuster trade and can use young players as the bait.

I don't know what to think about this though. I don't want to lose any of our young players, but I do have confidence we'll get what we're looking for coming back (#1C).

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 04:50 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:

Big. Check.

American. Check

Good for 25 goals. Check

nope don't see it happening. he isn't a top line winger, would be only fooling ourselves by calling him that.

Old
09-30-2011, 04:51 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I don't see it happening, they are in the same spot as us basically so why would they barter with us.
Exactly, it doesn't make a lot of sense all around. I would like to have Morrow on this team, but it would take a lot to pry him away from Dallas, and we have guys who can bring what he does (albeit on a smaller scale).

Old
09-30-2011, 04:53 PM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
3rd line, salary dump, or goes to UFA after the contract is finished. Unless he surprises in a big way, his future with the club is foggy.
we'd have lupul, lombardi, bozak, armstrong, kadri and frattin competing for 3rd line minutes

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 04:54 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn View Post
This makes the most sense to me. Tampa also needs a little bit better defensive depth. I feel like an idiot proposing Gunnarson i a trade but A deal revolved around Gunnarson for Malone makes sense.
The only and I mean only we get malone in that trade is if we get carter ashton, richard panik or connolly as a return aside from that I have no and absolutely no interest for that guy. And mentioning those three would immediately stop the trade talks, and in my eyes malone is not worth that 4.5 when people already complain about lupul lol

Old
09-30-2011, 04:55 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Exactly, it doesn't make a lot of sense all around. I would like to have Morrow on this team, but it would take a lot to pry him away from Dallas, and we have guys who can bring what he does (albeit on a smaller scale).
Pretty much, the only we need to strike for is a player who is been playing out of the favour of the organization like phaneuf was, just need the patience I guess really.

Old
09-30-2011, 04:56 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by apb03 View Post
I think this Dreger report just echos what many of us already suspect. Burke is now in the position to make a blockbuster trade and can use young players as the bait.

I don't know what to think about this though. I don't want to lose any of our young players, but I do have confidence we'll get what we're looking for coming back (#1C).
They go hand in hand I suspect, unless Burke performs a miracle.

I'd hate to lose any of our great young players/prospects, but if a #1C is coming back (hopefully young and proven), then it's a price you have to pay.

I've been one of the very few that has been open to the possibility of moving Schenn while he is still young and has high value, but even with our improved defensive depth, I don't see many agreeing with me there.

Old
09-30-2011, 04:58 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Pretty much, the only we need to strike for is a player who is been playing out of the favour of the organization like phaneuf was, just need the patience I guess really.
Something like waiting for a Phaneuf situation could take quite some time.

Old
09-30-2011, 04:58 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
Not a "top forward" and not anything better than what we have, either.
Well he's played with the two best young center man in the game, Which gives him a leg up on most of our forwards.

Besides, Teams won't be trading a big talented 'top line' winger, Not without a substantial bounty.

Rare Jewel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 04:59 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Something like waiting for a Phaneuf situation could take quite some time.
maybe but we have certain few stop gaps, sometimes things happen, aka richards, E. johnson, carter, etc.

I won't be surprised, as evil as this sounds, I am banking highly on the parise situation. I have been talking/tweeting few reports and they are on the same page. I am going to be focusing on the devils quite a bit this year now.

Edit: doesn't hurt when i used to be fan from neidermayer days lol

Old
09-30-2011, 05:02 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Well he's played with the two best young center man in the game, Which gives him a leg up on most of our forwards.

Besides, Teams won't be trading a big talented 'top line' winger, Not without a substantial bounty.
He's played with two of the best centers in the game, but has only ever mustered 50 points once. What would he do with Connolly at center?

I'm Not trying to diminish his effectiveness, but I don't think he's what we should be spending assets on.

Old
09-30-2011, 05:04 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
maybe but we have certain few stop gaps, sometimes things happen, aka richards, E. johnson, carter, etc.

I won't be surprised, as evil as this sounds, I am banking highly on the parise situation. I have been talking/tweeting few reports and they are on the same page. I am going to be focusing on the devils quite a bit this year now.

Edit: doesn't hurt when i used to be fan from neidermayer days lol
Parise would be such a huge step forward for this team. He's one guy that any team could build around. Great character, great work ethic, great offensive abilities. I'd kill to have him, especially if it cost nothing but cap space.

Old
09-30-2011, 05:04 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
He's played with two of the best centers in the game, but has only ever mustered 50 points once. What would he do with Connolly at center?

I'm Not trying to diminish his effectiveness, but I don't think he's what we should be spending assets on.
agreed, i'd rather give up the same amount for another player who maybe younger and better and add a lil more if necessary.

I mean if we are going to take malone off from their hands for the next three years, then they better pay me a premium lol

Old
09-30-2011, 05:05 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Parise would be such a huge step forward for this team. He's one guy that any team could build around. Great character, great work ethic, great offensive abilities. I'd kill to have him, especially if it cost nothing but cap space.
ill give an arm and a leg for that guy but yea I am anxiously gonna wait on what the situation is with the devils.

He's a true franchise player, who gives it his all every day and night...basically a boyce or grabo but with franchise creating skills for the game lol

Old
09-30-2011, 05:07 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
ill give an arm and a leg for that guy but yea I am anxiously gonna wait on what the situation is with the devils.

He's a true franchise player, who gives it his all every day and night...basically a boyce or grabo but with franchise creating skills for the game lol
If we were in the Devil's situation, I think Burke would do absolutely everything he could to retain his franchise player.

I expect Lou to do the same. You can't stop a player from testing the market if that's what he really wants though, so we can dream a bit.

Old
09-30-2011, 05:14 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
If we were in the Devil's situation, I think Burke would do absolutely everything he could to retain his franchise player.

I expect Lou to do the same. You can't stop a player from testing the market if that's what he really wants though, so we can dream a bit.
Haha true but think about it...its sort of like how phaneuf's situation played out.

Remember how flames went all out to get bouwemeester and it resulted them in losing out on phanuef, i think the situation is similar.

I mean so many things are not going right, coaching change so easily, not in playoffs when he isn't there and still has yet to see if he can mesh with the coach and ilya, kovalchuk comes and takes that top line spot although he can play RW as well I guess, now ilya's slowly pegged the captain and something IS apparently a bit messed up with the organization finances(reporters are discussing not that new yorker article didn't and don't believ it)...So I don't know maybe it can go wrong but hey we are afterall dreaming, it's basically do or die for lou because he usually doesn't trade off soon to be UFA free-agents so let's see what happens.

Old
09-30-2011, 05:15 PM
mazzman17

hockeybre@k reported on twitter less than an hour ago that the Ducks are in talks with the Leafs, but nothing is imminent. Basically similar to what Dreger said. My gut tells me that Burke is going after Bobby Ryan again.

mazzman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 05:16 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Haha true but think about it...its sort of like how phaneuf's situation played out.

Remember how flames went all out to get bouwemeester and it resulted them in losing out on phanuef, i think the situation is similar.

I mean so many things are not going right, coaching change so easily, not in playoffs when he isn't there and still has yet to see if he can mesh with the coach and ilya, kovalchuk comes and takes that top line spot although he can play RW as well I guess, now ilya's slowly pegged the captain and something IS apparently a bit messed up with the organization finances(reporters are discussing not that new yorker article didn't and don't believ it)...So I don't know maybe it can go wrong but hey we are afterall dreaming, it's basically do or die for lou because he usually doesn't trade off soon to be UFA free-agents so let's see what happens.
You make some good points. There is instability there on multiple fronts, which could be reasons why Parise isn't locked up at this very moment. At this point, I'll call myself cautiously optimistic. I don't want to get sucked into this like so many did with Brad Richards, but it's really difficult with a guy like Parise potentially hitting the open market.

Old
09-30-2011, 05:18 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzman17 View Post
hockeybre@k reported on twitter less than an hour ago that the Ducks are in talks with the Leafs, but nothing is imminent. Basically similar to what Dreger said. My gut tells me that Burke is going after Bobby Ryan again.
Getzlaf.

Really though, if it is anybody (not really sold on the reliability of that source) from Anaheim, Ryan is the only one that makes sense as I can't see anybody else that the Ducks would move or Burke would be after.

Old
09-30-2011, 05:19 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzman17 View Post
doubt it BIG time, that line is too good for them and none of their winger prospect are ready to take that step also I believe.

Not to mention I still don't believe *********** lol

Quote:
You make some good points. There is instability there on multiple fronts, which could be reasons why Parise isn't locked up at this very moment. At this point, I'll call myself cautiously optimistic. I don't want to get sucked into this like so many did with Brad Richards, but it's really difficult with a guy like Parise potentially hitting the open market.
Same really, I am just watching from afar, im an optimist by heart you can tell by my writing lol but I am slowly observing the situation.

Colorado and Devils really are my spots where I am looking.

But knowing burkie when i look to the left for the homerun he hits to the right.

Old
09-30-2011, 05:22 PM
BlackBirRd5

I really think Lupul is going to be better than most people think in the spot and he's also more physical and a spacemaker for the other two than people give him credit for.

names like Malone Clowe and Morrow would be an upgrade in that regard but Burke shouldn't be in any position to sacrifice young talent to get one of them, making the playoffs or not. Gunnarson for Malone is plausible with Gardiner and Blacker in the system but there should be at least a 2nd/ maybe 3rd round pick coming with him.

Good defence, improved PK/PP and Reimer plays well = we'll be in the playoffs or in contention for one of the last spots. No trades "need" to be made if they damage the future of the build, and thats independent of whether we make the playoffs or not.

Burke's done well so far, but let's hope he understands that if this is gonna get done right, it is going to get done without compromise and if MLSE doesn't like it he can tell Peddie to shove it - this gets done right or I'm not your guy - I don't care about your thing, I build winning teams.

BlackBirRd5 is offline   Reply With Quote