HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

"We" vs. "The Flyers"

Old
09-30-2011, 02:38 AM
FlyersCup08

vCash: 500
"We" vs. "The Flyers"

So I just got out of a heated discussion with my roommates afters referring to something about the Flyers as "we". Now, I firmly believe that the fans, however little influence they have, are a part of the organization, and thus have the right to say "we". I.e. if when the Phils won the 2008 World Series, a fan from Philadelphia would be correct in saying, "Yeah, we won in '08."

Now, my roommates (from Boston, incidentally) are adamant that fans have absolutely no part in anything that the organization does. They advocate that you can "support" a team, but at no point can you refer to yourself as a "we" with the team. Case in point (according to them) the players play for their contract only, and they switch teams via free agency as they wish.

I call bull****. Fans are definitely a part of the team, and so much so that they have *earned* the right to be a "we" when discussing them in day-to-day conversation.

Note: Does not include bandwagon fans.

FlyersCup08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 02:58 AM
97FlyersKing18

I feel that this is a very good question, I often catch myself wondering the same thing. Unfortunately, I rarely slip up and do refer to myself as part of "We" when referring to the teams that I follow. Most often, to be safe, I say "they" when referring to the team that I have a vested interest in.

However, in general, we as fans, are not part of the organization. I feel that the only people that have "earned" the right to associate themselves as a part of victory or defeat are the people on the official payroll of the organization. Sure fans line organizations with hefty cash donations for entertainment, but as seen with the lockout, "we" as fans did not lose our livelihood for a year. "We" as fans merely lost a form of entertainment, which was quickly filled by the ever-growing connections via the social network, other sports, or family time. Sports is entertainment, it is just like the Super Hero movie, the reality television show, or the music video because these people have so much more athletic, artistic, and linguistic talent than all of us on this board put together. The % of people that go professional in sports is so tiny, either athletes themselves or coaches or GMs, that they have earned the exclusive right to only refer to themselves as "we", while fans should use "they". We as fans have a very little impact upon a game being that Joe Schmo doesn't bury a goal, block a shot, or kick a game winning field goal. Sure home field/ice is meaningful at key points of a game, but the overwelming reason many teams do so well at home is because they are in a more comfortable surrounding and get to engage in their daily pre-game rituals without the stress of flying across the country.

The only time a fan should refer to "we" in a sporting sense is in the company wide softball game where "we" beat the accountants...which probably isn't much of an accomplishment.

As seen with the ESPN documentary "Catching Hell" that aired this week, most people take their sports way too seriously and seek a scapegoat to explain their misfortunes. Hooligans don't like to blame the players on the field or ice because they feel that their superhuman idols can do no wrong, which means that a made up super natural curse is the ONLY explanation for a loss.

It is important to understand the role of perspective and as Colin Cowherd, a man who has a career in sports, constantly states: "Love your kids, Love your wife, Like Sports." Get some perspective people.

97FlyersKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 04:43 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

The fans are every bit as much of the organisation as the players, coaches, medical staff and anything else you can think of. Who do you think pay's their wages.

There is nothing wrong with a fan using "we".

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 04:45 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
I don't refer to the FLyers as we when I'm discussing them with other Flyers fans. The only time I do is when I am enjoying some friendly banter with a fan of a rival team.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 06:01 AM
mja
Negative Creep

Anyone who makes an issue out of this is a curmudgeon, plain and simple.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 06:21 AM
MsWoof

I use we all the time because it's faster then typing "the Flyers" or "the Jays". It also gets confusing when saying "they" to describe my team because "they" is also the opposing team.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 06:26 AM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

No sports organization can exist without the fans. "We" is acceptable.

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 06:30 AM
mirimon

"We" win, "They" lose. Isn't that how it works?

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 07:05 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I don't care about using "we" or the "Flyers." I try to use the "Flyers" but often will say "we." The reason I try not to say "we" is because I met Howard Cross once (former NY Giants TE) and he went off on this huge thing about how much the players hate when fans say "we." Could just be football players, but I got what he was saying.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 07:15 AM
Hollywood Couturier

I think your roommates just don't want to be considered part of the Choke Artist Red Sox....amirite?

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 07:18 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
However I feel at the time comes out of my mouth. We as fans put monetary and emotional investment in our teams, and thus feel like we're part of the team. Obviously we have little control over the way they play, the moves they make, and if they decide to move, but sports exist for a reason.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 07:20 AM
phillyfanatic

I tend to just talk. I don't really care. I'm just talking. It certainly isn't hurting anyone. Unless your a clone and bow to the alter of Jim Rome as he makes fun of the fans who wear jerseys, call their team "we", etc. I like his show, but I disagree with him on this and plenty of other takes.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 07:20 AM
ORYX

I do not use the term "we" when associating myself with a sports team. Think about, when the Flyers win a game, "We" didnt win anything, we cheered, we are happy, but "we" had NO part in the actual efforts of winning, or losing for that matter. Even those in the Building. Sure you may have had an influence on the motivation of a player etc by cheering loud, and in that case its normal to feel more apart of the victory, but still at no point in time are you in any way associated with the organization from a standpoint suggesting "we".

Someone already alluded to it, we are fans are not on the payroll, nor can a team choose who its fans are.

If you are a huge fan of Quentin Terintino (sp?) and he makes a great movie that claims top earnings in the box office, do you go around and say "We had the best movie etc etc"?

No you don't, and its because you are not apart of in any way the creation of the product, you just took part in the entertainment of it.

Same can be said about something like cereal. You have bought a box a cherios every week or two your whole life, obviously a huge fan, but when they come out with a new flavour, do you say "we came out with a new flavour"? No you don't.

Sports franchises are no different, they are businesses with contributing members (Payroll staff) as well as those who love the product, cheer for it at all levels, are faithful to it, much like people are to food products, clothing brands, movie directors etc. But you are still 100% unassociated with that brand from a business perspective aside from purchasing the goods, or entertainment value.

Some organizations will say the fans are part of the organization, and everyone is right, it is the fans that allow the organization to survive, to exist, but at the end of the day, we as fans do not win games, we do not make decisions, we do not do anything for the team but show up and watch what they're putting out, because we as "FANS" are loyal.

At the same time, when someone says "we" it doesnt bother me at all. The above is just why IMO I don't refer to myself as "We".

If you do, feel free to continue, it doesnt and wont bother me.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 07:24 AM
DUHockey9

I use "we" constantly but I also think it's silly to consider us to be "part of the organization". We are not. However, the team/organization does identify itself with OUR city, therefore, we can identify ourselves with them.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 08:01 AM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Nothing wrong with using "we". But I love messing with people when they say it... I'm like, "Oh! You were actually there?!" or "Since when did you join the team?". But, it is only in jest.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 08:03 AM
PuckBoy33

Put on your radio . . .

Paul Jolowicz on WIP sports radio rips people on this all the time. Unless your name is on the roster, you shouldn't refer to a team as "we" according to Jolly. He makes it a point to mention he went to Penn almost every broadcast by the way.

Coach Reid: There is no "I" in team.

Desean Jackson: Yeah, but there is "me", aiiight????

PuckBoy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:06 AM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
Nothing wrong with using "we". But I love messing with people when they say it... I'm like, "Oh! You were actually there?!" or "Since when did you join the team?". But, it is only in jest.
You must be a blast at cocktail parties.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:36 AM
cheesesteak

I have no problem with it. Of course I don't think I'm part of the team. It's just easier sometimes. "Who won the game tonight?" "We did"

cheesesteak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:42 AM
jagrgodr

this reminds me of when people make fun of an inanimate object.. i like to say "so the computer is stupid and not you... it's the computer.. RIIGHT.

jagrgodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:53 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1481
That's a way for fans to connect to a team and a community, more so in times of when teams are successful or winning. It's nearly universal for team or sport and isn't limited to a select fanbase.

Those same fans will generally say "They suck" in times of despair but "We win" when things go swimmingly.

Back in the early days of cable TV, a now-defunct financial channel broadcast sports on the weekends and there was a straight-laced talk host who would disconnect people when they said "We" or "What do you think about...?" It was humorous.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:19 AM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
Anyone who makes an issue out of this is a curmudgeon, plain and simple.
Exactly, most fans who use we aren't doing so to make it seem like they are part of the team.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:22 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
semantics

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:31 AM
PhillyFlying

i use we. i'm a citizen of philadelphia and the flyers are its proud hockey team. we all the way. nobody that gets paid by the flyers would be offended by this notion.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:35 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
I don't feel comfortable using 'we'. I'm not a paid member of the organization.

I don't have a problem with other people using it, though. It used to bother me, but it's a trivial thing to get upset about, really.

09-30-2011, 11:00 AM
CavemanLawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
I do not use the term "we" when associating myself with a sports team. Think about, when the Flyers win a game, "We" didnt win anything, we cheered, we are happy, but "we" had NO part in the actual efforts of winning, or losing for that matter.
If you buy a bond or a stock, do you have any direct influence on the managers and employees of a company outperforming the past years goals? No, correct? But are you in fact a part of 'we'? Yes, hell you will even get sent letters from the company, business reports, plans and everything as such referring to you as 'we' and such. As others point out, we buy the jerseys, the tickets, the merchandise, which influences the team.

Granted, thats equity and debt positioning, but it's still not like buying a PS3 or something, as this product we are purchasing and supporting is entirely local, based in one area. If the Atlanta Thrashers were located in Philly, wouldnt WE have lead them to be a better team and still exist and such?

That said, for some reason I just never have said 'we' when referring to a sports team, but I can understand the reasoning behind it.

CavemanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote