HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Jets lose to Preds in shootout - Preseason over.

Old
09-30-2011, 11:07 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Jets lose to Preds in shootout - Preseason over.

A little late, but carry on.

09-30-2011, 11:16 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Jets #1 line looks pretty good, I'm really impressed with Little. No way they can send Scheif back, I think he earned his 9 NHL games at the very least.

Jets D and goal-tending are going to win us quite a few games!

Why is Stapleton still here?

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:26 PM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

vCash: 500
Just watched the game. I thought that Bogosian and Oduya both played well tonight and so did most of the other main stays. I think that if Scheifele didn't score tonight he might've gotten sent back, but now I think you have to give him his 9 games and see how he does.

There were some weird things that I noticed, though:

It might've just been me, but was Wheeler playing on different lines throughout the game? It seemed like he was out with Little and Ladd sometimes, but then sometimes was out with Pesonen, Stapleton, Burmi, etc.

What was up with Bogo on wing? Was that on purpose?

atl thrasher344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:30 PM
Klaus
Teemu!

vCash: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl thrasher344 View Post
Just watched the game. I thought that Bogosian and Oduya both played well tonight and so did most of the other main stays. I think that if Scheifele didn't score tonight he might've gotten sent back, but now I think you have to give him his 9 games and see how he does.

There were some weird things that I noticed, though:

It might've just been me, but was Wheeler playing on different lines throughout the game? It seemed like he was out with Little and Ladd sometimes, but then sometimes was out with Pesonen, Stapleton, Burmi, etc.

What was up with Bogo on wing? Was that on purpose?
Ya it was, Noel talked about it after the game

Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:32 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Noel's post game presser was priceless.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:33 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Noel's post game presser was priceless.
Yup, it sure was. The guy has character I can tell you that!

Winnipeg Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:34 PM
Le Golie

Just got home, another electric atmosphere. So much fun. Bogosian was a beast, his best game by far this preseason. Burmistrov also had his best game, though that didn't require a lot.

Scheifele is one of the drivers of this bus. You send the passengers down, not the drivers. Unless he turns into a passenger in the first nine games he's not going anywhere.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:08 AM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsetHabs View Post
Ya it was, Noel talked about it after the game
What did he say? Gamecenter doesn't have post-game.

atl thrasher344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:21 AM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl thrasher344 View Post
What did he say? Gamecenter doesn't have post-game.
Noel alluded to the fact that he was playing certain players in certain roles he normally wouldn't at the urging of management and the scouts.

Noel was also impressed with the teams hockey smarts, said he underestimated that.

Thought Enstrom, Buff and Scheif had very high hockey IQ's

Didn't come out and say it but sounded like he want's Schief on the team badly.

Seems to think they have a pretty good team in the making.

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:25 AM
Inflict
Viking

Good game. The 1st was all Preds and the 2nd and 3rd it was all Jets.

Enstrom sure has a lot of poise with the puck and was also good defensively. Bogo was good except for a horrible turnover in the 3rd that almost led to a goal. I don't see Jones making this team over Postma. Postma played better in this game I think. Of course, Scheifele provided the tying goal and ignited the crowd. No question that he is going to sign a contract. His smile should be on the friendly Manitoba signs when you enter Winnipeg .

Regarding some of the players stepping on the ice for the first time at the MTS centre: Tanner Glass was mediocre tonight and Bodie has played much better than him. Unless Glass is waived to the Ice caps, I don't see Bodie making this team unfortunately even though he deserves it. Wellwood was solid but not spectacular. He will make a good bottom 9 forward.

Inflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:31 AM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflict View Post
Good game. The 1st was all Preds and the 2nd and 3rd it was all Jets.

Enstrom sure has a lot of poise with the puck and was also good defensively. Bogo was good except for a horrible turnover in the 3rd that almost led to a goal. I don't see Jones making this team over Postma. Postma played better in this game I think. Of course, Scheifele provided the tying goal and ignited the crowd. No question that he is going to sign a contract. His smile should be on the friendly Manitoba signs when you enter Winnipeg .

Regarding some of the players stepping on the ice for the first time at the MTS centre: Tanner Glass was mediocre tonight and Bodie has played much better than him. Unless Glass is waived to the Ice caps, I don't see Bodie making this team unfortunately even though he deserves it. Wellwood was solid but not spectacular. He will make a good bottom 9 forward.
For a fourth liner/energy guy/fighter Glass was pretty effective tonight. I remember two nice hits he threw on Suter and he had some decent scoring chances in very a limited role.

Glass is also not afraid to drop the gloves, as you saw with Stortini (who is much bigger than him.). He was the Canucks' tough guy last year and was useful in the regular season and beginning of the playoffs.

I'll never ever forget this though:

He is prone to some stupid plays but overall he's okay for a fourth liner.

Winnipeg Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:31 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

wow that game was at another level and away more fun to watch!!

thought both teams were very solid. Burmi had his best game, Toby is as advertised and all that, I thought Scheif was having a bit of an off night until he snapped that laser into the net, the kid has the it factor, that was a big time goal at a timely moment against a shut down defensive team...."BIG TIME GOAL"

most of all tonight i thought Bogo showed allot. for my money he was very solid and showed us what "can be"....maybe its just a matter of Zack getting lots of minutes and picking his spots just a bit more. man the kid has all the tools and tonight he played within himself and was a force on the ice.

Nashville is a very solid team top to bottom and are going to be a load this year.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:33 AM
WPGNYRFan

Great game, can't wait for the home opener! Turns out we're sitting beside Earl Cooks family, really nice people! His mother is definitely an enthusiastic fan!

WPGNYRFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:37 AM
Waldo

Does anyone else besides me thing that this team is "special"? Not just Scheifele, although he has his own level of "special" but our guys are all in sync and playing really well together. The coaching and players are all on the same page and Noel is uber impressed with the guys. Management and staff top to bottom have been impressive. Furthermore, the fans have also "bonded" with the Jets and the MTS Centre rocks.

Not to mention, of course, the Jets have depth and talent. And Scheifele may be the best player to come out of the 2011 draft.

Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:42 AM
supahdupah
Registered Boozer

Scoring will still be an issue unless a few players make big jumps.

supahdupah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:44 AM
Kinjero
Friends... for-ev-er

vCash: 1814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jets View Post
For a fourth liner/energy guy/fighter Glass was pretty effective tonight. I remember two nice hits he threw on Suter and he had some decent scoring chances in very a limited role.

Glass is also not afraid to drop the gloves, as you saw with Stortini (who is much bigger than him.). He was the Canucks' tough guy last year and was useful in the regular season and beginning of the playoffs.

I'll never ever forget this though:

He is prone to some stupid plays but overall he's okay for a fourth liner.
Thomas probably would've stopped that with the paddle anyways

Kinjero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:49 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Mark is hard to get a handle on for me and at times he does look like a junior but most of the time he exceeds my expectations. after watching him all preseason i think i finally can describe what I am thinking when i see him play

If i was a fan of the other team and watching there are quite a few better players for Winnipeg that have much more complete games. However, if i was driving home with my wife and she asked me which Jet strikes the most fear in me when they have the puck on their stick in the offensive zone i would say Scheifele! he is the most naturally dangerous player we have IMHO

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:50 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
-Scheifele didn't have one of his better games, I thought he was trying to do just a bit too much. And then there was the first goal, where he made the mistake of not aggressively blocking Tootoo's shot after losing the draw. But that goal of his...wow. Just one of those plays that makes your jaw drop and say "wow, this guy is for real".

-Burmistrov finally looked like an 8th overall pick. Didn't register on the scoresheet, but drew a key penalty and was just slippery when he had the puck. And what he was able to do 4 on 4, I can't help but think that will eventually translate 5 on 5 once he builds his strength up and fully adjusts to NHL pace.

-Randy Jones is someone who just makes you cringe every time he's on the ice. Can't skate and looks so uncomfortable with the puck on his stick. I blame him partially for that 2nd goal, he didn't commit to blocking the shot. But overall, he played a pretty safe game. Keep him to 12ish minutes a game and away from the PK, and I think he'll be fine.

-Despite what I voted in that poll a while back, I don't think Postma will make this team. His defensive instincts are just way too raw.

-Tanner Glass really impressed me, and I never thought I'd say that. Played with lots of snarl, and good on him for tangling with Huggy Bear.

-Ladd-Little-Wheeler is looking better and better, but I think Little needs to start driving the net just a tad harder. He's curling to the half boards when I think he'd be better off driving low.

-Bogosian always seems like he's on the cusp of making an impact play, but his timing and instincts just aren't quite there yet. He's getting closer though, I'm sure of it.

-Wellwood is going to be a gem as a RW on the third line once he shakes some of the rust off. He's sound defensively, and understands how to use the ice.

-To the guy 3 or so rows behind me ranting about how Andrew Ladd is a "third line winger on most teams"? Seriously. Just stop.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 10-01-2011 at 01:01 AM.
Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:54 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

The players selected to take part in the shoot out was pretty unexpected.

I can see rewarding Wheeler with the opportunity because he scored a goal, but why not Scheifele as well? Plus I'd love to have seen some sweet moves by Burmistrov or even Wellwood.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 01:04 AM
supahdupah
Registered Boozer

- Scheifele played fine. He's always around the puck, and he makes players around him better. His timing is awesome.
- Bogosian has looked much better the last 2 games. He was brutal the previous games.
- Wheeler could be great.
- Enstrom is a mini-Lidstrom
- Randy Jones was fine
- Cormier is looking better and better.
- Stapleton is a good depth forward
- Pesonen played his best game by far
- Burmistrov was better, but if you are going to stick handle for a minute, create a scoring chance. Sticking handling on the perimeter doesn't accomplish much.

supahdupah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 01:12 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
-
-To the guy 3 or so rows behind me ranting about how Andrew Ladd is a "third line winger on most teams"? Seriously. Just stop.
Should've infracted him RL style bro.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 01:16 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I think Scheifele's biggest strength is his ability to adapt to new levels of competition. He said in one of his interviews that he's constantly watching other players on both teams and trying to integrate their positive qualities into his game. There's a reason he went from playing Junior B to leading the NHL in pre-season scoring in one year.

While I still think the best thing for him is to spend another year learning from Hawerchuk, I could see him making the team and getting better over the course of the year like he did in Barrie.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 01:34 AM
TroubaFan1

Loved the effort tonite from the boys! The way they battled back was great! Scheifele and Postma have definatly made it very difficult for the coaches and management to send them down.

TroubaFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 02:53 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostmaFan1 View Post
Loved the effort tonite from the boys! The way they battled back was great! Scheifele and Postma have definatly made it very difficult for the coaches and management to send them down.
Biased opinion! Why not change your name to JonesFan1? lol

Last edited by Paradise: 10-01-2011 at 09:38 AM.
Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 02:59 AM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
-Burmistrov finally looked like an 8th overall pick. Didn't register on the scoresheet, but drew a key penalty and was just slippery when he had the puck. And what he was able to do 4 on 4, I can't help but think that will eventually translate 5 on 5 once he builds his strength up and fully adjusts to NHL pace.

-Ladd-Little-Wheeler is looking better and better, but I think Little needs to start driving the net just a tad harder. He's curling to the half boards when I think he'd be better off driving low.

Burmistrov will be drawing a ton of penalties in his career. His sheer combination of speed and stick-handling will make him very dangerous (especially if we can get a sniper on his wing).

As for Little, I'm always for driving the net, but realistically he is a smaller guy with two large strong wingers who should be the driving net presence. He (along with possibly Wheeler) has one of the better shots (except for the damn posts), so playing the perimeter is better for him and the team imo.

Last edited by Sweech: 10-01-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote