HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Jared Boll breaks thumb, out for possible 2 months

Old
10-01-2011, 07:53 AM
plong123
Litebrite Stinger

vCash: 500
Jared Boll breaks thumb, out for possible 2 months

Link to The Columbus Dispatch article

plong123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 07:57 AM
plong123
Litebrite Stinger

I think this is unfortunate for both Jared and the Jackets.

Bad for Jared, because the 4th-line type guys have never been in more danger of being passed by the rookies. Are some of these kids better players right now than Boller? Maybe. Do they have higher ceilings? Absolutely. Like I said, really bad time for a 4th liner to be out 2 months.

And bad for the team, because I feel that Jared finally was in a happy place with his career. He has been playing well. He seems to have much respect in the locker room, and he's a popular guy away from the arena as well. A glue guy, if you will, an X-factor. Hopefully this doesn't upset an chemistry. More to the point, hopefully our team isn't fragile mentally to where this injury upsets any balance.

plong123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 08:06 AM
Hooks

this really sucks. boll is my favorite player.

Hooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 08:30 AM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Agree that this is a tough break for Boll. I like Jared and I think he brings alot to the team behind the scenes.

But the reality is that there are a number of kids pushing for spots and Jared is in his final contract year. Hopefully this injury isn't as long as initially thought, or he could get passed on the depth chart and not be able to climb back up.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 08:47 AM
blahblah

While I'm sorry that he broke his thumb, I am glad we appear to have a few kids ready to contribute.

It should give us an interesting different dynamic to the roster. Time will tell if it's a good dynamic.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 09:49 AM
Kev22

Tough break (no pun intended) for him, but he's not my favorite player on this team because he really doesn't offer anything other than fighting. I don't think there is the great need for a pugilist anymore, it's a different style of game. There's few teams that still try to play that way (St. Louis imo is one of them), so I don't think the Jackets will miss Boll during his recovery. This will open up the opportunity for other younger, skilled players.

Kev22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 09:55 AM
Socks
HeadFake

I'm sad to hear he'll potentially be out for so long. I feel like Boll's really been improving his game and I'd be interested in seeing what he could bring to the team.

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 09:57 AM
CBJCougar

It always disappoints me that Boll isn't given more credit for his role with the team, which was documented this summer by the fact that he was one of the ones who stepped up to welcome the new guys.

No matter who is tapped to fill his shoes, I think it should be noted that this person would be assuming his TOI, which was 6 minutes last night. I'm not sure realistically what someone can showcase in that amount of time but I will cheer them on regardless, just like I do Boll.

I also question the need for fighting preseason but I was watching and know that the hit Boll delivered was clean and the fight was started by the other guy, perhaps in an attempt to secure his position on the team.

I was looking forward to Boll welcoming Tootoo to Nationwide on Opening Night but oh well. I'm sure he will still be there. Blue Jackets wounded soldiers still walk with the team.

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 11:33 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

it is a pity... Boll was better as last seasons and now it...

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 11:48 AM
WorkingOvertime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
Tough break (no pun intended) for him, but he's not my favorite player on this team because he really doesn't offer anything other than fighting. I don't think there is the great need for a pugilist anymore, it's a different style of game. There's few teams that still try to play that way (St. Louis imo is one of them), so I don't think the Jackets will miss Boll during his recovery. This will open up the opportunity for other younger, skilled players.
On the flip-side, the younger, skilled players often need more TOI than the fourth line offers to improve. Therefore, many teams keep them in the AHL until there is a spot in the top-9. You aren't going to have a fourth liner score 15 goals season-to-season, because the fourth line isn't created to score many goals. 15+ min TOI in the AHL playing power-play, first line, etc. is usually better for development than 6 min TOI in the NHL, especially with the type of hockey CBJ's fourth line plays.

I don't follow CBJ too much (outside of general news, going to games, etc), but does this open the door for Bass to see some games while Boll is out?

WorkingOvertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 11:52 AM
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingOvertime View Post
On the flip-side, the younger, skilled players often need more TOI than the fourth line offers to improve. Therefore, many teams keep them in the AHL until there is a spot in the top-9. You aren't going to have a fourth liner score 15 goals season-to-season, because the fourth line isn't created to score many goals. 15+ min TOI in the AHL playing power-play, first line, etc. is usually better for development than 6 min TOI in the NHL, especially with the type of hockey CBJ's fourth line plays.

I don't follow CBJ too much (outside of general news, going to games, etc), but does this open the door for Bass to see some games while Boll is out?
Bass already cleared waivers. I'm not sure if he's in the running to pick up Boll's ice time

joshjoshjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:25 PM
CentreKeeper12
TheCentreKeeper

This will prob open up a spot for Cam, Johansen or Max to make the roster

CentreKeeper12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:39 PM
robo1
Jordin Tootoo sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerBlood1 View Post
This will prob open up a spot for Cam, Johansen or Max to make the roster
I hope it's Cam!

robo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 01:50 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by robo1 View Post
I hope it's Cam!
For the time being, it looks like it is.
http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...-the-cuts.html

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 04:51 PM
Byrral

Mixed emotions on this. We need Boll on our team but I think Atkinson reaps the benefit of this and that make me happy. Get well fast Boller.

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 04:55 PM
jktsfan*

Don't get me wrong - I like Jarred but hasn't anyone ever noticed that he has girl hands. You don't go toe to toe with someone when the only thing your skin is covering up are popsicle sticks.

jktsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 05:15 PM
Byrral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jktsfan View Post
Don't get me wrong - I like Jarred but hasn't anyone ever noticed that he has girl hands. You don't go toe to toe with someone when the only thing your skin is covering up are popsicle sticks.
LOL nice one. The issue is Boll shouldn't be in roll of enforcer/heavyweight. I would like to see him stay away from the heavyweights and work more on the skill part of his game. But he's more likely to be like an actor that has been cast into a role he can never get away from.

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 09:02 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrral View Post
LOL nice one. The issue is Boll shouldn't be in roll of enforcer/heavyweight. I would like to see him stay away from the heavyweights and work more on the skill part of his game. But he's more likely to be like an actor that has been cast into a role he can never get away from.
This.

I think Jared could be an effective checking line forward for us, if he kept himself out of the goonery. I know he's trying to stick up for his mates, but I like the old time approach of everyone sticking up for each other. He could be a Darren McCarty type guy though, that goes in and roughs up the other team without actually dropping the gloves.

Hope he heals quickly and fully.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 05:19 AM
Hooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChiefsGo View Post
This.

I think Jared could be an effective checking line forward for us, if he kept himself out of the goonery. I know he's trying to stick up for his mates, but I like the old time approach of everyone sticking up for each other. He could be a Darren McCarty type guy though, that goes in and roughs up the other team without actually dropping the gloves.

Hope he heals quickly and fully.
Agree

He should only fight in spontaneous situations. Anyone remember when he fought boogard? I was scared for him.

He is a good asset to have because the oppositions defence knows when he is on the ice that they are probably going to get smoked. They are noticeably more cautious when he is on the ice.

Hooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 09:16 AM
Skraut

Maybe it's the tragic events of this past offseason, but I'm "done" with fighting.

Boll breaks his hand because he's trying to punch somebody with his bare fists, and that guy is trying to block the punches with hard plastic helmet. What do you expect to happen? It's stupid and unnecessary. Look at the injury Brassard suffered a few seasons ago. Look at the injury Taylor Hall suffered when he fought Dorsett.

It's time for the league to decide what it wants. Skill, or pugilism.

When you look at these outcomes, is 45 seconds of guys grabbing each other's jerseys, and ducking their heads really worth it?

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 09:34 AM
kshymkiw

Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Maybe it's the tragic events of this past offseason, but I'm "done" with fighting.

Boll breaks his hand because he's trying to punch somebody with his bare fists, and that guy is trying to block the punches with hard plastic helmet. What do you expect to happen? It's stupid and unnecessary. Look at the injury Brassard suffered a few seasons ago. Look at the injury Taylor Hall suffered when he fought Dorsett.

When you look at these outcomes, is 45 seconds of guys grabbing each other's jerseys, and ducking their heads really worth it?
Yes it is.

kshymkiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:09 AM
Socks
HeadFake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooks View Post
Agree

He should only fight in spontaneous situations. Anyone remember when he fought boogard? I was scared for him.

He is a good asset to have because the oppositions defence knows when he is on the ice that they are probably going to get smoked. They are noticeably more cautious when he is on the ice.
I was scared for anyone who fought Boogard.

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:20 AM
5StringBuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post

I don't think the fighting is worth it. I teach my kids that violence is the wrong path, so I don't like to take them to games for a display of fisticuffs. I watch the fights not getting excited by the action, but worrying about losing a valuable player for more than a game. Seems to me there has to be a better way to settle disputes. Somehow, all of the other major sports have found ways to handle such things without resorting to fighting. For example, if football can go without fighting, why not hockey?

5StringBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:13 PM
blahblah

Per Skraut's reply.

I am not married to fighting in hockey. If it goes, it's goes. If it stays it stays. If players understand the risk and still want to engage in the activity, that's their choice.

With the decay of personal responsibility in society, I'm not all that interested in applying my sense of morality on people that are attempting to gain employment from a known dangerous (and well paying) profession.

While their is some possible linkage to hockey fighting and depression, the issue of being "punch drunk" has been known in boxing for a long time. Despite the know health risks with smoking, people still engage in that activity.

We can't protect people from themselves and I'm not interested in attempting to police behavior at affects mainly them.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:19 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

I don't want to call myself "pro-fighting", and I hate to get into this debate, but I saw fighting used to absolute perfection here in Spokane this week.

Last year, Chiefs defenseman Brenden Kichton tied for the league lead in scoring by a defenseman. He's one of the best players in the league, but he's a stocky 5'11" kid. In the third period of the game, with the Chiefs ahead 6-1, Tri City defenseman Sam Grist (6'5", enforcer type), and other players, tried taking advance liberties on Kichton. Finally, Chiefs defenseman Corbin Baldwin (6'5" himself) wound up on the ice against Grist, and the two dropped the gloves. Grist was then forced to sit for 7 of the remaining 10 minutes, thus neutralizing most further action he might have taken, while also learning a lesson that throwing cheap hits against some of the smaller players in the league might not be a good idea. Nobody was seriously injured, and the game finished without much more of a flicker.

This is the sort of thing that fighting does for hockey. As long as there is hitting, there will be dirty hits. I don't care what Brendan Shanahan and his suspension wheel does to any player. If the chance comes to take out one of the opposition's top players with a borderline hit, the chance will always be taken - regardless of the outcome. If they think they have a slight chance of getting away with it, they'll do it. Players will cheat, any way they can, to gain an advantage.

Fighting may be the only thing that keeps them honest. When Jody Shelley was a Blue Jacket, I'm sure each and every one of you cheered whenever he dropped the gloves to neutralize the other team's enforcer. While I hate seeing guys get hurt in fights, it happens VERY rarely (when you really crunch the numbers) ... what does happen fairly often is guys getting severely injured from checks to the head, checks from behind, or knee on knee collisions. Those are the types of thing the league needs to focus on removing.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote