HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Jared Boll breaks thumb, out for possible 2 months

Old
10-03-2011, 12:23 PM
fox2usp
Inbred Cat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Per Skraut's reply.

I am not married to fighting in hockey. If it goes, it's goes. If it stays it stays. If players understand the risk and still want to engage in the activity, that's their choice.

With the decay of personal responsibility in society, I'm not all that interested in applying my sense of morality on people that are attempting to gain employment from a known dangerous (and well paying) profession.

While their is some possible linkage to hockey fighting and depression, the issue of being "punch drunk" has been known in boxing for a long time. Despite the know health risks with smoking, people still engage in that activity.

We can't protect people from themselves and I'm not interested in attempting to police behavior at affects mainly them.
Well said, this!

"I don't think I'll live long enough to forgive Howson for knocking off my rose colored glasses. He's a horrible, wretched, little stinker of a man. I just hope he wakes up in the morning and can't poop." -CBJCougar (on the Klesla trade), March 23, 2011
fox2usp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:41 PM
CBJCougar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
With the decay of personal responsibility in society, I'm not all that interested in applying my sense of morality on people that are attempting to gain employment from a known dangerous (and well paying) profession.

While their is some possible linkage to hockey fighting and depression, the issue of being "punch drunk" has been known in boxing for a long time. Despite the know health risks with smoking, people still engage in that activity.

We can't protect people from themselves and I'm not interested in attempting to police behavior at affects mainly them.
Interesting. And true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChiefsGo View Post

This is the sort of thing that fighting does for hockey. As long as there is hitting, there will be dirty hits. I don't care what Brendan Shanahan and his suspension wheel does to any player. If the chance comes to take out one of the opposition's top players with a borderline hit, the chance will always be taken - regardless of the outcome. If they think they have a slight chance of getting away with it, they'll do it. Players will cheat, any way they can, to gain an advantage.

Fighting may be the only thing that keeps them honest. When Jody Shelley was a Blue Jacket, I'm sure each and every one of you cheered whenever he dropped the gloves to neutralize the other team's enforcer. While I hate seeing guys get hurt in fights, it happens VERY rarely (when you really crunch the numbers) ... what does happen fairly often is guys getting severely injured from checks to the head, checks from behind, or knee on knee collisions. Those are the types of thing the league needs to focus on removing.
Also nice job.

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote