HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovalev/Canadiens Team Report in The Hockey News

Closed Thread

Old
08-23-2004, 06:20 PM
MissNY

vCash: 500
Kovalev/Canadiens Team Report in The Hockey News

In the August 24 issue of The Hockey News, their team report on the Canadiens talks about all of the signings, and how Bob Gainey is preparing as though there will be no lockout, etc. But it also states that Kovalev continues to express reluctance over returning to Montreal.

Have any of you guys heard the same thing in the Montreal or Canadian press? This seems inconsistent with previous reports.

Old
08-23-2004, 06:28 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNY
In the August 24 issue of The Hockey News, their team report on the Canadiens talks about all of the signings, and how Bob Gainey is preparing as though there will be no lockout, etc. But it also states that Kovalev continues to express reluctance over returning to Montreal.

Have any of you guys heard the same thing in the Montreal or Canadian press? This seems inconsistent with previous reports.
I think they just used the wrong term IMO... I read that bit as well under team notes section of THN... It's probably just based on the fact that Kovy has yet to sign with the club (technically he has reluctance to sign with anyone that has offered him a contract to date)

Old
08-23-2004, 11:32 PM
FerrisRox

That's technically untrue.

Alex had no reluctance to sign with Pittsburgh. If the situation there hadn't changed, he would have signed with the Penguins over a month ago.

That entire situation got muddied because a deal for a center (Stumpel, not the widely reported Zhamnov) fell through. The Penguins felt strongly they needed to get a credible center signed as a free agent and didn't want to tie up money with Kovalev until that was taken care of. Hence, the Kovalev deal was put on hold, feet were dragged etc.

So he hasn't been reluctant to sign with anybody.

Right now Alexei is in a 'wait for a shoe to drop' situation. As soon as one of the big ticket wingers signs and sets the market, Kovalev will soon follow.

A lot of agents are fully aware that there is one team with a lot of money to spend who are waiting for the CBA to be resolved before they throw their money around. They have made it well known that they are looking to bring in two impact fowards. As such, a lot of guys aren't going to sign now unless the ofter blows them away if they think they are on the radar of this other club.

There are a lot of factors in play regarding Kovalev.

Old
08-23-2004, 11:50 PM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Kovalev is waiting for an offer by a contender.

Old
08-24-2004, 12:17 AM
not quite yoda

Kovalev is waiting for the right amount of money for the right amount of years.

Old
08-24-2004, 02:10 AM
tinyzombies

I bet he goes back to the Rangers. He even said it was a possibility when he was first traded. He's not coming back here because he punked out and was called on it. I've watched the game a couple times. He was sulking because he didn't get the call for a crosscheck he received earlier in the game. The refs don't like him because he dove all those years ago and made a ref look bad. Hopefully Ribs doesn't get the same treatment ... but Ribs' dive didn't cost the other team the game, technically.

Old
08-24-2004, 06:33 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov
Kovalev is waiting for an offer by a contender.
Then its going to be a long wait, after most Cup contenders are trying to cut losses right now. My bet is Kovalev has to settle for playoff contender, be it Habs of someone else.

Old
08-24-2004, 07:10 AM
Malakhov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2
Then its going to be a long wait, after most Cup contenders are trying to cut losses right now. My bet is Kovalev has to settle for playoff contender, be it Habs of someone else.
Nah, one of the contenders is waiting after the new CBA to sign 2 big superstars.

Old
08-24-2004, 09:30 AM
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox
A lot of agents are fully aware that there is one team with a lot of money to spend who are waiting for the CBA to be resolved before they throw their money around. They have made it well known that they are looking to bring in two impact fowards. As such, a lot of guys aren't going to sign now unless the ofter blows them away if they think they are on the radar of this other club.
I wonder which team that is? It's gotta be the Rags or the Bruins I would think, probably the Rangers. I guess LA or St Louis could be in the market too, after loosing some top players.

Old
08-24-2004, 11:10 AM
Malakhov

Most likely the Avs, they're gonna lose Kariya and Selanne

Old
08-24-2004, 11:17 AM
FerrisRox

The team is not a contender by any stretch of the imagination. This is a cellar-dwelling team that has already been active in free agency but has made it clear to agents they will bring in two front line forwards and possibly another defenseman.

Paul Kariya is one of the guys they are targeting apparently. Beyond that, the pool would include Teemu Selanne, Glen Murray, Alex Kovalev and Pavol Demitra.

Personally, I think there is no chance at all that Kovalev will end up there. I've never seen anything that would indicate he would want to go there and I don't think he's their first choice either.

However, Alexei is apparently intersted in the situation to see what one of the other forwards nets from them in order to 'set the market' for players of his ilk.

Old
08-24-2004, 11:44 AM
IcE ColD

Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
Could it be Chicago?

Old
08-24-2004, 12:17 PM
x-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcE ColD
Could it be Chicago?
Maybe...They said that they were gonna sign a superstar forward but nothin happenned.

Old
08-24-2004, 12:47 PM
Fan

Personaly,I hope Gainey stays as far away from Kovalev,who IMO is far too inconsistent to get huge dollars.
Glen Murray HAS proven to be a consistent top line scorer ,with good size ,goes to the net and I could see Koivu setting him up for 30 plus goals easily.
With Murray you get a solid effort game in game out ,without doing some of the crap Kovalev did like quit on a play in overtime,diving etc.
Kovalev is NOT worth the time and effort.

Old
08-24-2004, 12:54 PM
Henkka

Lang-Kovalev -reunite would be nice to see at Detroit with Brendan Shanahan.

Old
08-24-2004, 01:26 PM
IcE ColD

Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan
Personaly,I hope Gainey stays as far away from Kovalev,who IMO is far too inconsistent to get huge dollars.
Glen Murray HAS proven to be a consistent top line scorer ,with good size ,goes to the net and I could see Koivu setting him up for 30 plus goals easily.
With Murray you get a solid effort game in game out ,without doing some of the crap Kovalev did like quit on a play in overtime,diving etc.
Maybe Murray could put in 30 goals in regular season, but I don't remember him being a clutch player in the playoffs like Kovalev was last spring.

(BTW, have you seen Murray in the serie vs. Habs? I don't...)

Old
08-24-2004, 01:41 PM
EaGLE1

Quote:
Maybe Murray could put in 30 goals in regular season, but I don't remember him being a clutch player in the playoffs like Kovalev was last spring.

(BTW, have you seen Murray in the serie vs. Habs? I don't...)
If we take in consideration the 7 games they play against in the PO, i would sign Kovalev in a heartbeat and i would suspect Murray.

Old
08-24-2004, 02:23 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan
That's not whta any Boston fan would say. He's one of the most inconsistent guys in the league. I do remember him killing us in OT in game 4 though after Kovalev started playing the spoons with his right hand.

Old
08-24-2004, 02:28 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan
Murrays also a great player, no doubt. However theres two big difference between Kovalev and Murray........

1. Murray needs a playmaker to score, Kovalev can do it on his own.

2. Murray isnt a playoffs performer, Kovalev is........

Now obviously Murray can also score on his own, but not as easily as kovalev is capable of. Kovalevs stick handeling and control with the puck are unreal, and because of that, he can be a clutch scorer, that can put the puck in, on his own once in a while. Hes flashy, Murray isnt. We have guys like Murray, who crash the net and score goals with their great shots, and they happen to be Zednik and posibly Ryder.

What we need is, and have lacked for many years, is a purely multy skilled player that can deak the pance off of people, awe the crowed, and have the ability to score goals on his own. Kovalev can do that, because he has both the flashy skills, and a shot!! Hes also a great skater, better than Murray....

Old
08-24-2004, 03:18 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Could it be Chicago?
Bingo.

Old
08-24-2004, 04:08 PM
Karl Pilkington

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox
Bingo.
Love you avatar..

Old
08-24-2004, 05:22 PM
Malakhov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
1. Murray needs a playmaker to score, Kovalev can do it on his own.
Kovalev can do it on his own? That's a good one. :lol

Old
08-24-2004, 05:23 PM
Malakhov

And Kovalev won't end up in Chicago, he'll end up with a contender ie: Detroit or the Avs.

I don't doubt a second that he won't sign with us.

And I really don't care. I wouldn't mind playing Hossa on the first line with Koivu and Zednik or signing someone like Murray.

Old
08-24-2004, 07:01 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov
Kovalev can do it on his own? That's a good one. :lol
Hey, no joke, i was serious......

Old
08-24-2004, 07:21 PM
Malakhov